Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Shrek is bad but it's one of those totems of popular culture that so embodies the time in which it was created that it has value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else associate "All Star" with Shrek more than Mystery Men (or even Rat Race) or is that just me?

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone else associate "All Star" with Shrek more than Mystery Men (or even Rat Race) or is that just me?

Literally the entire internet does

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I have seen a good amount of All Star memes that use Shrek. I have seen 0 All Star memes that use Mystery Men. I think it’s fair to say that the combined “ironic” love for both All Star and Shrek individually have fully married the two in the popular consciousness.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

the entirety of the band Smash Mouth is permanently married to Shrek to the point that even the members of the band know it, for more songs than just All Star

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Well the fact that every young adult on the Internet grew up watching Shrek and not Mystery Men is probably part of it.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I tend to associate Rat race and All-stars more then Shrek.

Mainly because I watched Rat race a lot back then.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

thanks to a high school english class play i associate it with the merchant of venice

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
"Does Shrek hold up?" is a trick question because it implies Shrek was ever good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Andorra posted:

"Does Shrek hold up?" is a trick question because it implies Shrek was ever good.

Shrek is lovely.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like Shrek 2 better than Shrek and I will fight you all.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

I like Shrek 2 better than Shrek and I will fight you all.

Same, it feels like it's less reliant on pop culture jokes,

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

porfiria posted:

Well the fact that every young adult on the Internet grew up watching Shrek and not Mystery Men is probably part of it.

Because Shrek is 90 minutes while mystery men is over two hours

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're both great, only Shrek became less relevant with time, and Mystery Men more and more so.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pick posted:

They're both great, only Shrek became less relevant with time, and Mystery Men more and more so.

How on earth did Mystery Men become more relevant

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Calaveron posted:

How on earth did Mystery Men become more relevant

Movies about superheroes are a bit of a fad at the moment

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Shrek is lovely.

the only thing even close to looking visually appealing is the lava castle

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Shrek is way more relevant than Mystery Men in 2018.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

You know Mystery Men isn't a great film but it holds up better than Shrek even if Shrek has the superior soundtrack.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think Shrek holds up pretty well. Not visually anymore, but I think the movie is still good and doesn't rely THAT much on pop culture stuff the way the latter films did.

That being said, the best scene in the Shrek films and one of the best in an animated film in general is the entire "holding out for a hero" sequence so :shrug:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Or the onion-ogre analogy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Looper posted:

the only thing even close to looking visually appealing is the lava castle

No, I mean Shrek. He is lovely.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Or the onion-ogre analogy.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but

Pick posted:

I overheard someone say, "I'm like the movie Shrek, I have layers" and I was furious all day.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Shrek 2 is the one where he meets the parents, right?
Yeah I remember it being pretty good.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Shrek 4 was ok

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Shrek 4 was ok

They're not great films but Shrek 3 was the only really bad one in my opinion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

They're not great films but Shrek 3 was the only really bad one in my opinion.

I agree, but that one is EXTREMELY bad.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, 3 was pretty loving dire

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'll just chime in saying I really like the actual Shrek theme that Harry Gregson-Williams made for the soundtrack - the one that almost nobody remembers because Shrek now means "All-Star", so to jog your memories if you're not in that subset that remembers it, here's "Fairytale".

Beyond that, all I remember is that I saw Shrek in a theater that's loooong since gone out of business, and thinking back on it its placement just seems bizarre to me now - I wasn't aware the strip mall in question even had room for a theater at any point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first Shrek movie is one of two movies that I definitely saw more than once in the cinema. Saw it on Friday evening with my parents then saw it the next day for a friend's birthday.

It was definitely the big movie that everyone had seen and everyone had liked and everyone quoted to death in my school (before that it had been Austin Powers 2).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first Shrek movie is one of two movies that I definitely saw more than once in the cinema. Saw it on Friday evening with my parents then saw it the next day for a friend's birthday.

It was definitely the big movie that everyone had seen and everyone had liked and everyone quoted to death in my school (before that it had been Austin Powers 2).

I know I'll still quote "I'm making waffles" whenever I'm making them for breakfast.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shadow Hog posted:

I'll just chime in saying I really like the actual Shrek theme that Harry Gregson-Williams made for the soundtrack - the one that almost nobody remembers because Shrek now means "All-Star"

I remember.

Never forget splodey-bird. :911:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, 3 was pretty loving dire

There isn’t a single thing in 3 that they couldn’t have just put in a montage in the intro for 4. Shrek 3 was one of the most pointless movies I’ve ever seen in my life

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

did the first Shrek really have that many pop culture references? I ask because one of the things I feel always separated it from the sequels is that from Shrek 2 on the pop culture references were so built-in to the setting that the movies didn't really function without them. What would the Far Far Away be without the Hollywood Hills aesthetic? Shrek 2 was super big (wasn't it THE highest grossing animated film until Toy Story 3 or something?) and watching it recently I know it was one of the first movies that I saw that leaned suuuuuuper hard into pop culture references and watching it 13 years later it's not as easy to watch because the story can't easily be separated from all of that. 2 is still better than 3 but that's not saying a lot, I think I have only seen Shrek 3 once and it poisoned the well for a long time, I didn't see 4 until a few years after it came out because I thought it would be worse than 3. Turns out Shrek Forever After is pretty enjoyable :unsmith:

Also I always liked Shrek because the onion analogy works pretty drat well for a lot of things and says a lot about what Shrek thinks of himself, it was refreshing to have the "hero" of the story be someone so humble and relatively lackluster.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It definitely had them, that dance party ending was basically a bunch of 70s songs back-to-back... but the main plot was more fairy-tale send-ups than pop culture memes, if I remember the film correctly (and Lord knows if I do or don't, it's been years since I've seen Shrek).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shadow Hog posted:

It definitely had them, that dance party ending was basically a bunch of 70s songs back-to-back... but the main plot was more fairy-tale send-ups than pop culture memes, if I remember the film correctly (and Lord knows if I do or don't, it's been years since I've seen Shrek).

that wasn't the ending, it was a short that was made for the DVD release.

My sister was just at the age where that poo poo was all she wanted to watch so i feel like if I watched it I could sing along with the whole thing from memory, even though it's been at least a decade since I've seen it

there were definitely lots of pop culture jokes though. a Small World parody, a profession wrestling scene, a dating game reference (complete with The Pina Colada Song), and that's just the first half-hour or so

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Funny as hell, I swear I could remember Farquaad exasperatedly singing "Stayin' Alive" inside the belly of the dragon when I saw the film in theaters, but looking it up, you're right, it was just Donkey singing "I'm A Believer" with everything else being added on in the home release. That's giving me some weird Berenstein/Berenstain vibes...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DC Murderverse posted:

there were definitely lots of pop culture jokes though. a Small World parody, a profession wrestling scene, a dating game reference (complete with The Pina Colada Song), and that's just the first half-hour or so

I don't feel like I've noticed those too much but then again I also watched Aladdin at least once a week for most of my childhood (and the cartoon, which doubled down on the improv pop culture stuff Robin Williams instilled in Genie) so I may just be the right kind of person to lap that poo poo up, in moderation. But still you take those references from the first 30 minutes of the movie and compare them with the first 5 minutes of Shrek 2 and we have The Little Mermaid (getting eaten by sharks), Lord of the Rings, I wanna say Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon but that could've just been more demonstration of how strong Fiona was, and capped off with the Spider-Man upside down kiss.

The one thing I remember from Shrek 3 was the Paul McCartney thing at the beginning...that was the moment I thought to myself "oh, the whole movie is going to be like this isn't it? poo poo"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shadow Hog posted:

I'll just chime in saying I really like the actual Shrek theme that Harry Gregson-Williams made for the soundtrack - the one that almost nobody remembers because Shrek now means "All-Star", so to jog your memories if you're not in that subset that remembers it, here's "Fairytale".

I have always adored this piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pick posted:

I have always adored this piece.

The adventure theme is pretty boss, too.