Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

First of all: No need to really start over. Respecs are plentiful and you can just use any weapon to try them out. You get skill points from just using a weapon so you switching between them to try them out is accounted for. If you level up every weapon's proficiency you can probably fully spec 3 weapons if you play normally otherwise. Then there's the hair that gives you skill points as well, they show up more and more the further you get into the game as rewards.

As for the Tonfa: I played the game on PS4 before but now on PC I decided to roll with Tonfa and Odachi since those are the weapons I used the least previously due to them being released later as DLC. I find the Tonfa are really good in general but they are less good than other weapons initially. Using them requires some finesse and you need to make good use of the skills. The little Ki Pulse twirl (forget the in-game name) is great in particular as it has I-Frames allowing you to dodge a single it and then continue laying into your enemy. The 2 Skills you get to choose between after the Tonfa Dojo mission either lets you do more damage on consecutive attacks or be more flexible by being able to cancel out of a lot of the skills that force you to commit to a longer attack byusing the aformentioned Ki-twirl.

Despite liking the weapon a lot I'd probably not be able to make full use of them if I hadn't played the game before so if you aren't feeling them and don't want to commit to them right now by all means, feel free to switch.

The Katana is easy to use in general. Even the parries are forgiving enough. Iai always rules and can be used to punish an exhausted standing enemy and then follow with a ground grapple easily if you have the skill that charges the Iai on a successful Ki pulse. So I'd say go with that, even if you don't wanna do what I just said it's gonna be easy to use and versatile.

While it's a good habit to learn to Ki Pulse early on it's not really necessary. During my first playthrough I only really used the ki pulse on dodge until way late into the game. Dancing between stances is also something that requires getting used to because the controls are a bit awkward. It pays off to learn it, but you can do without it if you don't want to play higher difficulties or some harder sub-missions

I was more worried about stat points than skill points, actually. I should've known there is a respec though, after all the game exactly copies Dark Souls in every aspect, and DS2 and 3 had respeccing.
I think I'll stick with mostly using the spear then and switch to katanas later, thanks. The controls for stance switching aren't that awkward though, just switch stance when you run out of ki and keep mashing those light attacks to keep the enemy stunlocked :shrug:

Max Wilco posted:

Risk-&-Reward ARPGs?

Is there a single action video game that doesn't have risk and reward?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GrossMurpel posted:

If you mean getting your wallet out and paying for it then finding out it is good/bad, then I guess not.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

JBP posted:

I bought Nioh because it looked like Ninja Gaiden and is was not disappointed. The only think soulsy is you lose your xp when you die and have to go pick it up.

I was hoping for a Ninja Gaiden sequel but I guess it will have to wait with Nioh 2. At least they could remaster it, drat Team Ninja!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

GrossMurpel posted:

I mean more in the sense that Soulsborne and Nioh have the aspect where you have to decide whether to spend the points you earn towards leveling up or buying/improving items, or risk losing them completely if you die trying to earn more. Most RPGs tend to just dock you a percentage of you experience if you die, but I guess it depends on what game it is.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Can I see anywhere how much progress I'm getting towards skill points or is it just a kind of magic based on how much I've used the weapon type already?
And does familiarity inherently increase weapon damage or only if you have a +familiarity damage charm?
Also lol I just tried to use the tonfas to attack a group of enemies similar to how I'd sweep them to death with the spear mid stance. It did not go well.

Max Wilco posted:

I mean more in the sense that Soulsborne and Nioh have the aspect where you have to decide whether to spend the points you earn towards leveling up or buying/improving items, or risk losing them completely if you die trying to earn more. Most RPGs tend to just dock you a percentage of you experience if you die, but I guess it depends on what game it is.

corpse-run-for-souls-currency-ARPGs?
Though I wouldn't call every game a Souls clone just because it does that unless the combat is also the same. Even small changes to combat like making attacks cancellable by dodges can make games feel completely different.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 15, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Max Wilco posted:

How many games actually dock experience? I can't remember any since Everquest.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GrossMurpel posted:

Can I see anywhere how much progress I'm getting towards skill points or is it just a kind of magic based on how much I've used the weapon type already?
And does familiarity inherently increase weapon damage or only if you have a +familiarity damage charm?

Familiarity does increase the base stats yeah. On your character status screen, one of the pages has your overall weapon XP bars - 500k is when you get the last skill point and the Mystic Arts Dojo unlocks so you want to get to 500k with every weapon type (since a lot of mystic arts aren't weapon specific).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Familiarity does increase the base stats yeah. On your character status screen, one of the pages has your overall weapon XP bars - 500k is when you get the last skill point and the Mystic Arts Dojo unlocks so you want to get to 500k with every weapon type (since a lot of mystic arts aren't weapon specific).

Ah I see, thanks. I'm at ~5k at most right now, guess I don't need to worry about maxing out my skill points for a while :D
I also just noticed the skill screen scrolls down, there's a few great 1 or 2 point skills I haven't gotten because of that

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GrossMurpel posted:

Ah I see, thanks. I'm at ~5k at most right now, guess I don't need to worry about maxing out my skill points for a while :D
I also just noticed the skill screen scrolls down, there's a few great 1 or 2 point skills I haven't gotten because of that

Make sure you grab dodge counts as ki pulse (Living Water) for all the stances - it's cross weapon so you only need to get each once and the game is built entirely around the player having it. I hope those kinds of no-brainer skills are just built in Nioh 2. Living Water, the various Flux skills and Grapple are just basic combat mechanics.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Getting back into this game after beating the first dlc, the Masamune one. I know the Sanada one dropped and added tonfa, but has anything else been added? What's this abyss mission thing?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What's the criteria for advancing in NG+ etc? I got very bored in NG+ and wondered what would happen if I just jumped straight to the last mission, and imagine my pleasure when it immediately unlocked NG++ and let me jump straight into a Lv ~450 twilight mission and earn like 25 levels straight away. I have three regions unlocked, and I've cleared some missions, but I can't seem to unlock more.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

you fill up a progress bar by completing any missions. seems pretty easy to get credit just pick missions that have easy to cheese bosses like giant cat, ogress, big dumb gently caress, etc

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Importantly the DLC missions count for the next Way's progress since they're roughly as tough as the next difficulty up.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Jerkface posted:

you fill up a progress bar by completing any missions. seems pretty easy to get credit just pick missions that have easy to cheese bosses like giant cat, ogress, big dumb gently caress, etc

Is the giant cat supposed to be super easy? I had an amount of bother getting through that level (killing the Nue took a couple of attempts, and at least two attempts against the underground Onmyo mages failed miserably); but I literally did Sloth > Water Talisman (attack a bunch) > Kato (attack a bunch) > dead. No elixers, no effort.

Although to be fair, until I started abusing Sloth Talisman, I did find this game kinda hard (even as a Soulsbourne advocate); and now everything vaguely difficult is much, much easier. (Hints to a new player: use your buffs and debuffs - you're not a D&D mage. Sloth/Weakness/Lifeseal win battles).

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Sloth is great but wears off quicker on bosses the higher the difficulty is.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm confused by "Change to Attack" scaling.

I've never liked the grade notation much. It's useful in that it tells me that skill affects tonfa more than dex, but it doesn't tell me in advance what the magnitude of the change is, how *that* scales (I understand it's basically linear relative to the stats and also affected by weapon level but only up to about 100 or so due to maths), whether the weapon's inherent scaling is better or worse than the scaling you can get as a special effect, or, most importantly of all, how they stack with eachother.

I've got a tonfa that I love. I have 80 skill and 99 dex and about 20 of everything else. Tonfa innately have B+ skill, C+ body and D+ dex. Mine has A+ dex as a special effect. I was given to understand that there's not a huge amount of difference between D/C/B+, so I jumped at the chance to replace the A+ dex with A+ strength because I figured four scalings would rule incredibly. The net change so far is a haircut of about 200 attack (it was at something like 1900). I expected some loss because I'm going from A+ to D+ on a 99 stat, but that seems more than I ought to have bargained for.

Did I goof?

Please tell me that A+ dex wasn't stacking with the D+ innate?

(I've generally been extremely frustrated by not knowing how equipment and stats work in this game)

E: While I'm here: Do any of these stack? I can't seem to get reliable information on them.

1) Aya-Komori's Agility Bonus with Agility Bonus on a weapon
2) the Iga Ninja set's Ninjutsu Bonus with Ninjutsu Bonus on a weapon
3) Thrown Weapon Damage with Shuriken/Kunai Damage or Thrown Weapon Damage x2 %

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 8, 2018

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Fedule posted:

Did I goof?

Yes.

quote:

Please tell me that A+ dex wasn't stacking with the D+ innate?

It was :( CTA (Dex) is a great stat even on a Kusarigama that already has great dex scaling.

quote:

3) Thrown Weapon Damage with Shuriken/Kunai Damage or Thrown Weapon Damage x2 %

Yes to all 3, as far as I'm aware. The first two always apply, while the third is a chance to double the resulting damage.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Death of Rats posted:

Is the giant cat supposed to be super easy? I had an amount of bother getting through that level (killing the Nue took a couple of attempts, and at least two attempts against the underground Onmyo mages failed miserably); but I literally did Sloth > Water Talisman (attack a bunch) > Kato (attack a bunch) > dead. No elixers, no effort.

Although to be fair, until I started abusing Sloth Talisman, I did find this game kinda hard (even as a Soulsbourne advocate); and now everything vaguely difficult is much, much easier. (Hints to a new player: use your buffs and debuffs - you're not a D&D mage. Sloth/Weakness/Lifeseal win battles).

Elemental debuffs will cripple any oni boss if you stack them.

Sloth and Weakness talismans will eventually lose their effectiveness on higher difficulties so dont build your character around them.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 8, 2018

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

WaltherFeng posted:

Elemental debuffs will cripple any oni boss if you stack them.

Sloth and Weakness talismans will eventually lose their effectiveness on higher difficulties so dont build your character around them.

Define "higher difficulties" - do you mean NG+ etc. or just later missions?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Death of Rats posted:

Define "higher difficulties" - do you mean NG+ etc. or just later missions?

DLC and NG+

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Magus42 posted:

DLC and NG+

Even the first DLC boss has a very noticeable sloth reduction.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Monolith. posted:

Even the first DLC boss has a very noticeable sloth reduction.

Yep. They basically treated the DLC as NG+ level content (or beyond) which is a little annoying for players like myself who hadn't cleared the game multiple times :)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
TBH I'm a bit iffy about all these recursive NG+ layers. It was p baller when I killed Yamato-no-Orochi with twenty four consecutive kunai and unlocked an entire new tier of equipment to mess with and a bunch of higher level enemies to use them on, and then I get to do NG++, and now I'm doing NG+++ and okay this Ethereal stuff is cool and it's nice it has some exclusive effects but I'm just starting to kind of get sick of this really? I mean literally everything kills me in one hit in NG+++ so what's even the point of another round after this?

I've found Nioh to be a vortex of inspirations and atrocities in equal measure. It's kind of a fascinating game. I wish it was a little more choosy about what it copied from Dark Souls because frankly now that the game is challenging again I'm back in the situation where dying and potentially losing a bunch of Amrita is all at once tense, incredibly stressful, and always, always, always makes me feel like complete dogshit in ways that much less fair games never managed to. But when that's not at the forefront of my mind Nioh is a brilliant technical action game that sets a standard for combat mechanic design that frankly should become a requirement.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

whats the easiest way to powerlevel at 300+

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Fedule posted:

TBH I'm a bit iffy about all these recursive NG+ layers. It was p baller when I killed Yamato-no-Orochi with twenty four consecutive kunai and unlocked an entire new tier of equipment to mess with and a bunch of higher level enemies to use them on, and then I get to do NG++, and now I'm doing NG+++ and okay this Ethereal stuff is cool and it's nice it has some exclusive effects but I'm just starting to kind of get sick of this really? I mean literally everything kills me in one hit in NG+++ so what's even the point of another round after this?

I've found Nioh to be a vortex of inspirations and atrocities in equal measure. It's kind of a fascinating game. I wish it was a little more choosy about what it copied from Dark Souls because frankly now that the game is challenging again I'm back in the situation where dying and potentially losing a bunch of Amrita is all at once tense, incredibly stressful, and always, always, always makes me feel like complete dogshit in ways that much less fair games never managed to. But when that's not at the forefront of my mind Nioh is a brilliant technical action game that sets a standard for combat mechanic design that frankly should become a requirement.

Take a break, it's real easy to get burned out on Nioh. Hopefully 2 resolves this.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I never felt burned out by NG+++++ because I played all the postgame content coop with my friend. It was just more Nioh and the escalating difficulty made it very cool to play with a friend.

What I'm saying is Nioh has excellent coop. Its super fun

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Monolith. posted:

Take a break, it's real easy to get burned out on Nioh. Hopefully 2 resolves this.

I'm probably going to do this. Maybe I'll return to try WotN someday, or maybe I'll rediscover the joys of a game that doesn't consider making me feel like absolute poo poo a victory condition and never look back. Who knows?

If I had a wish it would be that Nioh 2 drops the bloodstain mechanic, but I know in my soul they aren't going to do that. It won't even occur to them to do that.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Fedule posted:

I'm probably going to do this. Maybe I'll return to try WotN someday, or maybe I'll rediscover the joys of a game that doesn't consider making me feel like absolute poo poo a victory condition and never look back. Who knows?

If I had a wish it would be that Nioh 2 drops the bloodstain mechanic, but I know in my soul they aren't going to do that. It won't even occur to them to do that.

What bloodstain mechanic

*fumbles around in inventory, picks up 1 out of 20+ candles just laying around, and jams it down William's gullet*

Time to pray!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Fedule posted:

The bloodstain mechanic is awesome though. It lets you fight mirror matches (always the best fights) basically whenever you want and you get rewarded for it. And it's completely optional. It's loving great. It even works offline because of the Developer Stains.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DatonKallandor posted:

The bloodstain mechanic is awesome though. It lets you fight mirror matches (always the best fights) basically whenever you want and you get rewarded for it. And it's completely optional. It's loving great. It even works offline because of the Developer Stains.

Oh I've got no problem with the game remembering where you died and showing your grave to other players and letting them fite you (though would it kill these people (again) to actually drop their ethereal gear instead of fobbing me off with even more Divine Fragments I don't need?).

What I despise is the EXP dropping mechanic. The very particular combination of being a stat driven RPG and being able to lose EXP means that the journey to retrieve your not-wasted time isn't different in any interesting way but is actively stressful. In addition, the fact that there exists such a keenly felt consequence for failure in a game with so persistent a character (contrast eg a roguelike where everything resets when you die) means that every tiny way in which the game is not completely perfect, every single slightly over generous hitbox, every maybe-ambiguous tell, every minutely mistimed dodge and every projectile from off camera (hello traumatic memories of Ninja Gaiden II) is deeply and acutely felt, and feels awful, and has consequences beyond just having to try again. I have played a lot of intensely challenging games to full completion, and accordingly have died a fuckton of times in all those games, but no game has ever made me feel as lovely about myself as Souls-likes. Failing to reach your grave means your time (and ammo if you used any) is lost. You could have secured some advancement that would have been permanent, but that's lost now (Nioh celebrates with a little animation when this happens). Maybe your death was fair, or maybe it wasn't, but the game doesn't care, and it always always always will feel like total bullshit. The cherry on top of this for me is that I never appreciated what Summoner's Candles did because the description made it sound like they were something you were supposed to use at a grave (the localisation of descriptions and system text in Nioh runs from middling to atrocious and the game is very bad at explaining what half of its elements actually do). Maybe this discovery will alleviate some of the pain from WotW.

I even went and gut gud and I still want to punch my sofa sometimes.

What Nioh needs more than anything else is to not be Dark Souls; to take the remarkable quantity of incredible systems it pioneered and leverage them in a game that isn't so actively punishing. Unfortunately the one thing I can say for certain about Nioh Ni is that it will retain this mechanic in its entirety.

(there are a lot of other, good, things that Souls, and its imitators, including Nioh, leverage to great effect, in particular a characteristic approach to level design and commitment-heavy combat systems. Sadly, none of these things are synonymous with the term "Like Dark Souls" to most gamers - it's just Bloodstains and difficulty.)

The best ever application of Bloodstains was NieR Automata, in which player graves still appeared, but reloading was still an option, only one aspect of your character was actually lost (and it wasn't EXP) and [slight spoiler] the entire mechanic was ceremonially discarded midway through the game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Ive finished the game 2 times, and recently picked it up again.
Strangely, i couldnt reconfigure my controller. I mean i could, but it wasnt saved.
Like, i could assign block to left trigger instead of button, and save it, but it would return to the basic layout.

Googling says that basically thats the way it is, but somehow i think it was possible the last time around since i cant imagine playing with ki pulse on right button instead of trigger, and same with block on the left.
Was theresome patch or anything that broke controller custom setup saving or whatever?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The funny thing is, Nioh can be played almost entirely in Torii Gate coop. In Torii Gate, all your exp is banked whether you die or not making it impossible to lose any progress.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ive finished the game 2 times, and recently picked it up again.
Strangely, i couldnt reconfigure my controller. I mean i could, but it wasnt saved.
Like, i could assign block to left trigger instead of button, and save it, but it would return to the basic layout.

Googling says that basically thats the way it is, but somehow i think it was possible the last time around since i cant imagine playing with ki pulse on right button instead of trigger, and same with block on the left.
Was theresome patch or anything that broke controller custom setup saving or whatever?

I'm not sure if it lets you re-assign buttons in-game, but you can completely customize your controller in the Steam UI.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
The NG+++++ stuff is just a way of keeping the treadmill going for people who can't get enough of the game, really. It seemed pretty straight-forward to add and really appeals to the more obsessive players. I got the trophies, all the in-game titles (minus PVP ones), and a bunch of other stuff...I dread to think how much more committed some other players have been.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I finally got back to playing Nioh after not playing it for a while. I'm still trying to make my way through Way of the Strong, because I want to get to get to the point where I'm strong enough to get through the DLC with ease. I made it through The Defiled Castle and the main story missions before it the other night, but going to the next region, the missions seem to jump up in difficulty dramatically. After finishing Defiled Castle, it had a Mission Level of 220, and a three star/sword difficulty rating). The next mission, Immortal Flame, has Mission Level of 270, and a five star/sword difficulty rating. Did I not level up enough or improve my gear enough? Right now, I'm at Level 168, and I've got some heavily soul matched gear (+4 dual swords and +4 spear, and Red Demon Armor at various levels, the chest piece being at +5).

The first mission in the Tohoku region has a Mission Level of 150 on Way of the Samurai, but it still has a 3 star difficulty rating. Other missions I've done in the Kinki region on Way of the Strong are around that level, but the difficulty rating has dropped to 1 star. Is that a bug, or is there something with how the difficulty in the DLC is handled?

EDIT: I should note that I've been trying to fight Revenants that are higher level than me, but they never seem to drop better gear that what I have. Am I doing something wrong? I forgot that Revenants don't drop +1 gear, so am I safe to just dismantle that stuff to get divine fragments or something?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 30, 2018

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, disassemble the lower +1 divine stuff. I'd recommend doing the twilight missions on the easy difficulty to grab some cracked bowls for the abyss. You'll get some decent quality stuff if you clear out the first 5 levels a few times(I got the treasure room twice in 6 runs). Soul match gear to get your weapons/armor up further.

I just cleared the dlc with +6 and +7 weapons. Also did ng+ story really quickly with the same gear. Way of the demon unlocks abyss 6-10 and +10 - +11 gear starts dropping regularly. They also have higher levels, 160-175 from what I've seen.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Phuzun posted:

Yeah, disassemble the lower +1 divine stuff. I'd recommend doing the twilight missions on the easy difficulty to grab some cracked bowls for the abyss. You'll get some decent quality stuff if you clear out the first 5 levels a few times(I got the treasure room twice in 6 runs). Soul match gear to get your weapons/armor up further.

I just cleared the dlc with +6 and +7 weapons. Also did ng+ story really quickly with the same gear. Way of the demon unlocks abyss 6-10 and +10 - +11 gear starts dropping regularly. They also have higher levels, 160-175 from what I've seen.

I tried going the first couple floors of the Abyss, and that did pay off. It drops +1 gear pretty frequently. Of course, that might be due to the fact that you can offer 10 ochoko cups and get a 10% drop rate. I wish the Ochoko cups were easier to come by, the Abyss makes me nervous about screwing up (only complete the first and second floors before leaving). I got a couple of defiled items (one that I tried converting at the shrine), but I have no idea how far you have to go before it starts making a difference to an item. It seems like it's the most ideal way to level up gear. Only other thing I can think of is to forge gear at the blacksmith and then just keep soul matching up, but I think I'd burn through money pretty quickly.

I did some other missions on Way of the Samurai afterwards. Even with +4 weapons and similarly improved gear, Return of the Gourd is still incredibly hard. I can't imagine doing that one right after beating the game. :gonk: I thought Meeting on Another Shore was as hard it would get. I thought to try and fight Nobunaga first like in Meeting on Another Shore, but I think it's better to fight Yasuke, since he seems to follow after you more aggressively.

Spent most of the afternoon leveling up weapon skills to try and do all the dojo missions and get the achievements for them. I've mainly used the sword, dual-swords and spear, so it was a chance to finally test them out a bit more. The axe/hammer is pretty good. It seems like it does really good stamina damage, Admittedly, I was using a +6 hammer on one of the early levels, so maybe it's not a great representation of it.

The kusarigama I still don't really care for as much. It feels really weak, though I think it's because I don't have enough points in Dexterity for it to be really effective, and because I don't have as many skills for it.

The tonfa and odachi, however, I really took to, and I wasn't expecting that. Speedwise, it's faster than the axe, but it's got the reach of the spear, so it feels like you can really wreck enemies at range, which still scoring quick hits. I think like its horizontal slash more than the spear's, only because it seems you slash nearly 360° around you. The tonfas are also pretty nice, and I seem to get pretty good damage with them, since they scale with the same stats as the dual swords (Skill). There doesn't feel like there's a big variety with the moves between the stances,

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I've gotten plenty of cups, mostly because revenants are easy to slaughter with the dual sword's moon shadow skill (teleport behind and knock their ki). And there are some missions with companions, which makes it really easy as well. Also a good way to pick up gear that you might not get without luck with smithing texts.

Using years to defile items doesn't seem to be worth it on those early levels and they are fairly rare beyond the drop on first time level clear. My understanding is that you need to clear 3 bosses for the best defiled rewards, though I hadn't gone back since level 6 as I've been trying to unlock more difficulties. Just finished Queens Eye on way of the demon and unlocked the 4th zone in way of the wise. Starting to hit gear limits it seems, so I'll likely spend some time getting some more armor to try out. My 150+6 dragon set has done well up to this point, but considering I'm getting 230+20 drops, I'll try to bump this up. Managed to find a revenant with a divine dragon sword around 220 and soul matched it up to 232+23, but even trash was one shotting me. And I'm thinking I should try mixing up my build a bit more, since sloth to get back attacks only allows maybe a couple good hits before its dropped off.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Haven't played this game in a while. Quick question: Could I send my friend one of my saves to get him past the first boss (the one on the ship)? He kinda sucks and for reasons I forget, we can't do the "simple" co-op in Nioh without first finishing that level, and he has extremely bad luck in getting the item that allows for summoning into his world. I was thinking that I'd get him past that hump and then jolly co-op the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Max Wilco posted:

The kusarigama I still don't really care for as much. It feels really weak, though I think it's because I don't have enough points in Dexterity for it to be really effective, and because I don't have as many skills for it.

Kusarigama rules; Reaper is crazy damage on big monster bosses and the leg sweep move owns human enemies and duel fights, plus it's the only weapon in the game whose primary stat is also a primary magic stat (Dex is also Ninjutsu slots/damage)

I'm with you on tonfa, tho; I had a lot of fun with it and I kinda wish I'd bought the DLC when I started so I could play around with them