Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Lets start selling LAV's to inner city gangs in the US?

Let’s void the Safe Third Country agreement with them. Hit Trump where it really hurts :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

~*reads article about the us president outright stating that they're unwilling to negotiate in any way*~

This is exactly what I'm saying, I don't think they have to negotiate with us at all. A big hit to the auto industry or oil might be enough to pop our only other industry, housing. The states have a great economy, top notch, diversified, innovative and chugging right along. Nothing Canada can do affects the US in a noticeable way and even if we could, it would hurt us 10x more. They are a juggernaut, we are a banana republic of lovely oil that only pipes to the US, overpriced houses, cars that americans make here and send back because we have banana republic wages (in USD) and cronjob twitter based IT.

It'd be fun to see trudeau walk away like "we're not a 53rd state, canadian sovereignty blablabal going to be difficult, irrational, trade war". Might be his best chance to get re-elected before the factories and jobs move back down.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is exactly what I'm saying, I don't think they have to negotiate with us at all. A big hit to the auto industry or oil might be enough to pop our only other industry, housing. The states have a great economy, top notch, diversified, innovative and chugging right along. Nothing Canada can do affects the US in a noticeable way and even if we could, it would hurt us 10x more. They are a juggernaut, we are a banana republic of lovely oil that only pipes to the US, overpriced houses, cars that americans make here and send back because we have banana republic wages (in USD) and cronjob twitter based IT.

It'd be fun to see trudeau walk away like "we're not a 53rd state, canadian sovereignty blablabal going to be difficult, irrational, trade war". Might be his best chance to get re-elected before the factories and jobs move back down.

Bring on the housing collapse! Housing shouldn't be a luxury commodity and gently caress speculators.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i too agree that we should sit back and watch the results of america's strategy of starting trade wars on every front simultaneously.

perhaps we can even take this opportunity to diversify our own trade away from the 800lb syphilitic gorilla of international affairs, or not, whatever.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

i too agree that we should sit back and watch the results of america's strategy of starting trade wars on every front simultaneously.

perhaps we can even take this opportunity to diversify our own trade away from the 800lb syphilitic gorilla of international affairs, or not, whatever.

Yeah, America will never be the same, trade wars will be a norm for republicans from here to the end. We should cozy up to the EU some more or something, maybe develop a just and independent economy?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Virtual Russian posted:

Bring on the housing collapse! Housing shouldn't be a luxury commodity and gently caress speculators.

if you live in the gtha or gvrd you'll be fighting gangs of cannibals in the streets if things collapse badly enough to make housing "affordable"

Virtual Russian posted:

We should cozy up to the EU some more or something, maybe develop a just and independent economy?

i'd like to think we could try

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Lamborghini and Ferrari demolition Derby. fuerdai being lynched in the streets wearing Supreme burlap sacks and dunce caps.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

if you live in the gtha or gvrd you'll be fighting gangs of cannibals in the streets if things collapse badly enough to make housing "affordable"

As a Canadian I naturally live in one of those zones, and that would own so much. Also I might be able to get a home that way.

All joking aside, we need a massive overhaul of how we approach housing. Where I am there are condos going up constantly, but units get bought up by speculators and sit empty. The building that went in a year back a block down from me has been sold out for 9 months now, but at night only ever has like two lights on. The house across from me has been sold three times in a year, no ones moved in, just some cosmetic work and gets flipped each time. There is tons of housing, its just insanely overpriced due to speculation causing artificial shortages. A crash in which a gov't bailout prevented people from losing their home, but in which speculators lost everything would rule so much.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

As a Canadian I naturally live in one of those zones, and that would own so much. Also I might be able to get a home that way.

All joking aside, we need a massive overhaul of how we approach housing. Where I am there are condos going up constantly, but units get bought up by speculators and sit empty. The building that went in a year back a block down from me has been sold out for 9 months now, but at night only ever has like two lights on. The house across from me has been sold three times in a year, no ones moved in, just some cosmetic work and gets flipped each time. There is tons of housing, its just insanely overpriced due to speculation causing artificial shortages. A crash in which a gov't bailout prevented people from losing their home, but in which speculators lost everything would rule so much.

lol that you think in a crash the government would save homeowners instead of speculators

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

vyelkin posted:

lol that you think in a crash the government would save homeowners instead of speculators

yeah we would need a different government. Really though, just embrace that a massive crash is coming and no ones going to be saved.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/CBCKatie/status/1035580380844314624

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

vyelkin posted:

this part is also particularly relevant

I love how this was mainly discovered by accident when "stick your head in it to kill yourself" coal-burning ovens started being phased out and statisticians suddenly realized the suicide rate dropped significantly and never went back up, now that a literal suicide box wasn't standard in every kitchen.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Chrystia Freeland to hold press conference from Canadian Embassy in Washington at 4:30p (eastern, I'm sure)

The location says everything we need to know, right?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/jpags/status/1035607252248481792

This doesn't really sound like a winning strategy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

James Baud posted:

Chrystia Freeland to hold press conference from Canadian Embassy in Washington at 4:30p (eastern, I'm sure)

The location says everything we need to know, right?

that it's like the fall of saigon and they're going to be riding helicopters out of there?

here's hoping

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/jpags/status/1035607252248481792

This doesn't really sound like a winning strategy

their legal argument is that the charter actually doesn't apply to municipal elections because it's up to the province if they even have them

seriously

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

their legal argument is that the charter actually doesn't apply to municipal elections because it's up to the province if they even have them

seriously

is there law standing against that, or just centuries of common sense?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

is there law standing against that, or just centuries of common sense?

It strikes me as a hell of a leap from "cities are creatures of the province" to "the charter does not apply to cities."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hand Knit posted:

It strikes me as a hell of a leap from "cities are creatures of the province" to "the charter does not apply to cities."

does the charter apply to students electing class presidents? I genuinely don’t know if everything called an “election” is covered by the charter analysis

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

does the charter apply to students electing class presidents? I genuinely don’t know if everything called an “election” is covered by the charter analysis

that is a bold equivalence.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Hand Knit posted:

That's true, school children probably wouldn't have elected rob ford

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1035605804752281600

The judge seems to disagree but I don't know the legal basis for that belief.

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1035610257962217473

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1035613138643808256

No you! Is certainly an interesting legal strategy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hand Knit posted:

I’m not saying it’s how I would rule. I’m asking what the law and precedent say. students are elected to the boards of governors of Ontario colleges, which are also products of the Province. does the charter analysis of effective representation apply to those elections? I don’t know, and I’m curious, so I’m asking

e: ^^ well if he puts it in his ruling then we’ll have dicta at least!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like you guys are getting freaking owned today

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think it's a completely specious argument, but guess we'll find out.

There's no entitlement to a civic-level elected government, lots (but not millions) of people live in areas that don't have one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I’m not saying it’s how I would rule. I’m asking what the law and precedent say. students are elected to the boards of governors of Ontario colleges, which are also products of the Province. does the charter analysis of effective representation apply to those elections? I don’t know, and I’m curious, so I’m asking

e: ^^ well if he puts it in his ruling then we’ll have dicta at least!

Yeah, there definitely appears to be a disagreement between the Province's counsel and the judge re: that point. I imagine if there's an appeal after the ruling on the Province's part it'll focus on that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

James Baud posted:

I don't think it's a completely specious argument, but guess we'll find out.

There's no entitlement to a civic-level elected government, lots (but not millions) of people live in areas that don't have one.

the judge is stating that if you create a civic-level elected government, then the charter applies to it.

https://twitter.com/JohnLorinc/status/1035610987561332736

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Aug 31, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lol. Now civic-level elected government is not a level of government. Good hustle out there

https://twitter.com/progresstoronto/status/1035608204015620096

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This makes sense tbf. The province of Ontario shouldn't be allowed to arbitrarily say "Okay we're designating a municipality that happens to cover the entire province, this is one of our powers. Also, this municipality doesn't have elected officials. And it's going to violate all your charter rights because if the charter applies to the operations of this municipality then the court is creating a new level of government"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“all your charter rights” aren’t at issue. they are not claiming that residents of Toronto are exempt from Charter protections that they would have elsewhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/JohnLorinc/status/1035618331598848001

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

“all your charter rights” aren’t at issue. they are not claiming that residents of Toronto are exempt from Charter protections that they would have elsewhere

except in cases where they wouldn't, such as

https://twitter.com/LaurenPelley/status/1035610272369659904

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and on cue, everyone's favourite fuckstains take the podium

https://twitter.com/jpags/status/1035619485955379200

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ctf's counsel is arguing subjunctive's point re: electoral bodies, just because they exist doesn't mean the charter applies because there's a bunch where no consideration is given to the charter.

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1035620954951634944

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Good god who gives a gently caress about Toronto

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well since it's a constitutional issue that effects every municipality in the country, you might.

but hey, here's this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1035597354395680774

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well since it's a constitutional issue that effects every municipality in the country, you might.

but hey, here's this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1035597354395680774

I mean he's not completely wrong. Those comments were off the record, and Bloomberg did honour that. I just think they kind of happened to fall into Daniel Dale's lap out of an accidentally open Bloomberg briefcase.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I got news for you: municipal government is useless

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

I mean he's not completely wrong. Those comments were off the record, and Bloomberg did honour that. I just think they kind of happened to fall into Daniel Dale's lap out of an accidentally open Bloomberg briefcase.

powerful understanding BLATANTLY VIOLATED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ctf's counsel is arguing subjunctive's point re: electoral bodies, just because they exist doesn't mean the charter applies because there's a bunch where no consideration is given to the charter.

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1035620954951634944

i think the correct response by the judge would be "thanks for bringing these 50 other unconstitutional bodies to my attention so I can include them in my sweeping judgement"