Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fintilgin posted:

Dev diary for random worlds looks so, so, so good.

We don't even have a release date yet, do we? :negative:

COME OUT NOW PLEASE

The time of the cross and crescent is past. The time of the Memelard is nigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

pidan posted:

Which DLCs can I safely turn off if I don't want to play as (x) but do want all the portraits, events, start dates and so on for other characters?

Safe to turn off:
- Sunset invasion (always safe)
- Rajas of India (if not in / near India)
- Legacy of Rome (outside Byzantium) ?

Not safe:
- Sons of Abraham (no more Jews?)
- Old Gods
- China

Not sure:
- The Republic (I think all the good parts for Feudal rulers are in the patch?)
- Sword of Islam?

Besides Sunset Invasion, what's the point of turning any of them off?

If there's a specific feature you don't want (like secret societies or whatever) there's usually an option when you start a new game to enable or disable things at a much more discrete level than toggling entire expansions.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Dev diary for random worlds looks so, so, so good.

We don't even have a release date yet, do we? :negative:

COME OUT NOW PLEASE

Shattered starts were always one of my favorite, so this is going to be a lot of fun.

I created a mod many years ago that made everyone start as tribal, but it was a hassle to keep it updated. Glad to see I can easily recreate that feature now!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pidan posted:

Which DLCs can I safely turn off if I don't want to play as (x) but do want all the portraits, events, start dates and so on for other characters?

Safe to turn off:
- Sunset invasion (always safe)
- Rajas of India (if not in / near India)
- Legacy of Rome (outside Byzantium) ?

Not safe:
- Sons of Abraham (no more Jews?)
- Old Gods
- China

Not sure:
- The Republic (I think all the good parts for Feudal rulers are in the patch?)
- Sword of Islam?

You won't have retinues without Legacy of Rome, so I would never turn that off. Sword of Islam and The Republic are sorta safe to turn off, though I think you would get an automatic game over if your heir were a Muslim without SoI turned on.

And as somebody else said, there's no point to turning any DLC off (except for Sunset Invasion of course), since they don't slow down your game either way.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

big dyke energy posted:

I decided to start a new game in the Byzantine Empire because I haven't actually played with them since I bought Legacy of Rome. I'm just a duke, what's the absolute best way to gently caress up the ruling family's poo poo and ruin the empire.

I just want to let it all burn.

Conquer land outside of the empire and make sure to form the duchy/kingdom before the Emperor does, otherwise he'll make it a viceroyalty and tell your heir to eat poo poo when you die.

If you really just want to make the empire burn, your best bet is probably to form a secret religious cult for either an Orthodox heresy or some flavor of Islam. Convert all the vassals, prepare grounds in every province, and then publicly expose the cult and make the Paradox forums cry.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Besides Sunset Invasion, what's the point of turning any of them off?

If there's a specific feature you don't want (like secret societies or whatever) there's usually an option when you start a new game to enable or disable things at a much more discrete level than toggling entire expansions.

You can even turn Sunset Invasion off in the rules.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

You won't have retinues without Legacy of Rome, so I would never turn that off. Sword of Islam and The Republic are sorta safe to turn off, though I think you would get an automatic game over if your heir were a Muslim without SoI turned on.

And as somebody else said, there's no point to turning any DLC off (except for Sunset Invasion of course), since they don't slow down your game either way.

Ok, thanks! I thought the game would run better with fewer DLCs. So I'll just turn off sunset invasion. I did enjoy watching the Aztec empire rise and fall from my safe spot in Italy, but it's not something I'd want in every game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just leave the dlc enabled and disable the Aztecs via the game rule.

Never disable dlc.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

pidan posted:

Ok, thanks! I thought the game would run better with fewer DLCs. So I'll just turn off sunset invasion. I did enjoy watching the Aztec empire rise and fall from my safe spot in Italy, but it's not something I'd want in every game.

I'm so confused. The game already runs great. Their last pass a few years ago got it running even faster than before India existed. There's nothing turning a DLC off would do to make the game run faster. All the mechanics and poo poo will still be in the game, they just can't be accessed by you, the player.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Comments in the pdox forums after a DD are a race to be the first poo poo poster to say it was not what they wanted in the DD. Everyone is unimpressed and would have gone a different way; those threads should just be locked after the initial post.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
But Dev replies are a great source for extra information, so you can't do away with comments entirely. It's a bit of a catch-22, in that way.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In the spirit of fairness, I'll point out that although this will almost certainly be the DLC that gets me to 2000 hours played, it is the final DLC and almost certainly likely to be a whole lot better than CK3 is at launch.
I'm not ruling out getting close to 2500 hours by the time I finally switch to a new version.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

ninjahedgehog posted:

Conquer land outside of the empire and make sure to form the duchy/kingdom before the Emperor does, otherwise he'll make it a viceroyalty and tell your heir to eat poo poo when you die.

If you really just want to make the empire burn, your best bet is probably to form a secret religious cult for either an Orthodox heresy or some flavor of Islam. Convert all the vassals, prepare grounds in every province, and then publicly expose the cult and make the Paradox forums cry.

Gotcha, secretly convert to Islam and conquer the poo poo out of everyone else.

Is Sunset Invasion worth getting? I was kind of thinking about picking it up just to play with something a little different.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Managed to become King of Wales and Ireland in my Karling game, but it wasn't enough because I left on the Aztecs and got wrecked despite being a vassal of the HRE.

I should have left the Aztecs on in my Navara game so I had a challenge once I united western Europe.

Oh well. Started a Karen game. Had never done well as them, but it seems like I'm doing okay this time?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

New religion icons from the PDX thread, tag urself

I'm the duck with a chef's hat

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm SKULLOMANIA

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm Cthulhu

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Turtle

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Kitty cat

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I'm Team Three Star

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm assuming a lot of these are for the new fake religions you can get with the random world setup?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Red Birb with the Strong Aura

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I think that might be a fox.

Anyways, I'm all in on the Illuminati.

Edit:

Mantis42 posted:

I'm assuming a lot of these are for the new fake religions you can get with the random world setup?

Yeah, that was posted in a reply in today's dev diary.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kinda would've expected them to be more...er symbolic. Abstract. Not that I wouldn't like to be worshipping a duck or an octopus, but a shield or an anvil doesn't seem like much of a religious symbol. Not really stylized much.

Also a lack of murder weapons, which of the vanilla religious symbols, 5 out of the 24 were used for killing.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

ninjahedgehog posted:

New religion icons from the PDX thread, tag urself

I'm the duck with a chef's hat

a fish :same:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why is there a fish in that anyways?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

God I want this DLC out and then patched nowwwww. I wanna play a game in East Europe so bad :(

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm never going to play another video game again, Holy Fury looks like it's satisfying all my needs.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I tried to do a little eugenics experiment. I didn't know what to do with my genius daughter so I married her to the idiot raja of northern Sri Lanka. He has the slow trait, and both slow and genius are hereditary so I was wondering which trait would "win" in their offspring. They had two kids, one a genius and the other a drooling moron. Totally the best family. There should be a sitcom for that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I tried to do a little eugenics experiment. I didn't know what to do with my genius daughter so I married her to the idiot raja of northern Sri Lanka. He has the slow trait, and both slow and genius are hereditary so I was wondering which trait would "win" in their offspring. They had two kids, one a genius and the other a drooling moron. Totally the best family. There should be a sitcom for that.

Doesn't neither trait usually breed true? Kind of miss that from CK1, used to be a pretty good chance it would be inherited.

As for the random map, with a name like that I was expecting a random procedurally generated map.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

In the spirit of fairness, I'll point out that although this will almost certainly be the DLC that gets me to 2000 hours played, it is the final DLC and almost certainly likely to be a whole lot better than CK3 is at launch.
I'm not ruling out getting close to 2500 hours by the time I finally switch to a new version.

CK3 hasn't been announced yet and is unlikely to be out in the next three years. Even I'm likely to get to 1500 hours before it comes out (currently on 940).

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Finally managed to complete the White Hun achievement. I'm really not looking forward to having to deal with the Protectorate mechanic again, so I think I'll delay the Legacy of the Indo-Norse for a bit and try and pick up the Black Bishop cheevo. Been chasing that one for years

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Why is there a fish in that anyways?
It's an anime thing.
'same' (pronounced sah-may) is the japanese word for shark

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This ads so much replay value to the game. Shattered worlds and random worlds are great ways to experience a fresh game. Updated pagan mechanics (and map changes) make playing reformable pagans more interesting again, especially with each faith having unique perks only available to them during reformation. Updated Crusade mechanics are just great. I can't recall the last time I played a Catholic char, I'm really looking forward to this.

I can easily see myself playing this for another 500 hours.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's funny to consider the roots of religious iconography. If Jesus had been hanged or beheaded rather than crucified, what would be on all of Europe's flags? Nooses?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Red Bones posted:

It's funny to consider the roots of religious iconography. If Jesus had been hanged or beheaded rather than crucified, what would be on all of Europe's flags? Nooses?

The cross represents Jesus's sufferings more than his death, so it would probably be the crown of thorns or a whip or something.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

Now that I completely forgot about, fair point.

On another note my Venice game is turning out pretty... Interesting. Some NPC managed to set up the mother of all inheritances because he has formed the HRE and he had 30 marshal so he went crazy expansionist so the current wolrd map is all France, Germany, Italy (Pope vassalised) and a third of North Africa belong to one side. Spain and a third of Africa is ummayid. The rest of Africa and the middle East are Abbasid and the Byzantines made a comeback controlling Greece, the Balkans, Anatolia and parts of Syria. Meanwhile I am just Venice.

At the moment I am wedged between absolute titans with nowhere to expand. I've assassinated 2 HR emperor's now, his 2 year old inherited and is now currently 13 with his realm still as solid as ever, no revolts.

Long story short, how do I effectively break up or severely weaken a blob?
Swear fealty, form factions to give the council laws, then form factions to depose the lords a bunch until the lands are scattered and isolated, then form an independence faction

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also a lack of murder weapons, which of the vanilla religious symbols, 5 out of the 24 were used for killing.

The four different Christian crosses and then... hmm. I'm blanking. Is the Tengri symbol supposed to be a spear?

EDIT: Oh, I think Shia has a sword on it

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
The shattered world thing is sounding good, but I was thinking that being able to use religions and cultures from mods instead of religions and cultures made randomly would be even better! Having the “AGOT” mods Ironborn fighting against “After the Ends” Atomicists over control of England would be amazing.

It wouldn’t make a whole lotta sense, but it would still be cool

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

You might be able to, you can apparently add cultures to the random lists so religions could be something you can mess with too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some of it would depend on how modular the religions in all those mods are, and whether you can tear them out and put them into a big ol' mod religion pack.

Also for the religions from mods with totally redone maps, you'd have to work out something for the holy places. I don't suppose there's a Euro AtE to draw from?

• Locked thread