Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
"After the mission, let's make snowmen!"

Glitch really is the best :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really hope she gets new lines for the new biome

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Panfilo posted:

:byodood: "Why didn't anyone tell me of this amazing piece of LosTech?! Farah, look into filling the Argo's bulkheads full of this stuff to see if we can improve the Argo's sublight performance.
:j: "Sure thing, boss. I'll *snicker* get right on it. No doubt the Argo will go faster when its less dense than a *chortle* vacuum.

stealth high-explosive ground-to-air munitions that don't require hardpoints are nothing to treat lightly, commander

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How serious is the requirement to have 2 full lances of mechs before starting a deployment in RogueTech?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

How serious is the requirement to have 2 full lances of mechs before starting a deployment in RogueTech?

If you have the free repair option selected, then it isn't required at all, though you do want to have 8 pilots that you can rotate in still. If you don't have the free repair option then you may end up with a quick string of missions without time to repair if you only run one lance, but if you have enough tech points you probably won't run into much of an issue even with the paid repairs turned on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'd say it is safer to have two lances than to not, especially if the deployment is on the longer side. Unless most of your mechs are light and/or low tech, extensive damage can have them take 20+ days to repair, even with free armor repair enabled.

And I was mistaken, one of my glitched mechs was a Griffon, not a Black Knight, which explains the weird giant zippo hovering over its head; there's nowhere for the game to properly put a head-mounted gun because the Griffon's head is like the front canopy of a B-29 stratofortress. Mechs like the Shadow Hawk, Highlander, etc have boxy heads that can probably just put the gun on the side as normal. The Black Knight Mounting a Death Stare just has a laser hardpoint on the side of its head like other stock mechs that have head mounted lasers. But putting a 'Flame Breath (head mounted special flamer) on a Griffon chassis gets you this:

The best part, that I hadn't noticed before, is that the flame trail originates from the gun itself, hovering 10 feet above the mech's head :stare:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Roguetech lets you do some pretty comical builds:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I decided to try RogueTech and god loving drat, Nexus is even more of a clownshoes site than it was last time I had to use it. Both registration and log-in dump you into different page than the one you started from, the Curse banner is loving huge and I have absolutely 0 trust in them that they stopped storing passwords in plaintext.

-------edit-------

First impressions: definitely more deadly, in part because of the weird difficulty. One mission at 1 skull you get 8 boring mechs, another mission half of the 8 mechs are full of losstech or clanspec stuff... (Commando IIC is nasty when you are not ready :v:)

Xarn fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 1, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

b0lt posted:

Roguetech lets you do some pretty comical builds:

Two questions: what chassis, and does anything survive that level of heat?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

There are 10 Assault 'Mechs, we got 7 of them (9 with the LosTech Highlander and King Crab). We'll be getting the Cyclops soon, the Goliath's a quad so we won't get it, and the Charger's unlikely.

PGI just announced the Charger so more the fool me, I guess.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Forgive me, but isn't the Charger's entire gimmick that its lethal in melee but rather poo poo otherwise? So unless MWO is introducing melee, wouldn't it pretty much be useless?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That doesn't mean they won't sell it anyway

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sky Shadowing posted:

Forgive me, but isn't the Charger's entire gimmick that its lethal in melee but rather poo poo otherwise? So unless MWO is introducing melee, wouldn't it pretty much be useless?

stock charger would be useless but depending on quirks and hitboxes you could mechlab it into something good

although it's on the low end of the assault weight spectrum so there'll always be issues

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Stock charger is hilarious. 80 ton 'fast for an assault' mech with only 5 small lasers? LMAO.

Ravenfood posted:

Two questions: what chassis, and does anything survive that level of heat?

Judging by the number of energy hardpoints needed, pretty much any of the 'Legendary' mechs could carry that loadout, The Plasma Lances are some of the few 'shoot in melee' weapons in RogueTech, they also add heat to the target. Only bummer about all this is that in RogueTech regular flamers heat your mech up like other energy weapons do, only the 'Vehicle Flamers' with limited ammo, do not. And I can't remember if it applies in the stock game, but Flamers also do bonus damage vs targets that are already overheating, making this setup that much nastier.

Also, if you're gonna do that gimmick, why not throw in a Flame Breath? Flame Breath and Pirate Flamers would make it work another hex further out.

You could probably get a similar effect with 3 SRM6 and Inferno missiles, but this wouldn't cause the framerate crashing toastiness that all the particle effects a dozen flamers would generate, would it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

The Charger's gimmick is having a stupidly-large 400-rated engine in an 80 ton frame (the engine eats something like 65% of its tonnage). Stock it has armor comparable to a Hunchback (at 30 tons heavier) and carries a whopping 2.5 tons of weapons (5 small lasers), but runs as fast as a Shadow Hawk (or Dragon).

The Charger has a few variants that are actually combat-capable, notably a 3039 variant that reduces the engine size (dropping its speed to match the Zeus) that carries an AC/20, but later it's most commonly seen as an LRM carrier.

The Hatamoto Chi (and -Mizu, and -Kaze, and etc) was the Draconis Combine's attempt to make their chargers into something useful. They'd gotten a fair number of Thugs from ComStar in exchange for letting the Rasalhague Republic go and really liked them. The Draconis Combine didn't have the factories or plans to make more Thugs, so they stripped their Chargers down to the internal structure and built a new 'Mech on the same frame. The Hatamoto Chi is a Thug with a bit of DCMS Samurai flare. It only has one hand because the Charger only had one hand.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hatamato-Chi is a good mech and also has the advantage of looking like a giant robot samurai.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My favorite Giant Robot Samurai is still the Shiro (and Hitotsume-kozo, and Rokurokubi), whose official art was done by our very own Xarbala.

And this was the design he was asked to salvage:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Charger's gimmick is having a stupidly-large 400-rated engine in an 80 ton frame (the engine eats something like 65% of its tonnage). Stock it has armor comparable to a Hunchback (at 30 tons heavier) and carries a whopping 2.5 tons of weapons (5 small lasers), but runs as fast as a Shadow Hawk (or Dragon).

The Charger has a few variants that are actually combat-capable, notably a 3039 variant that reduces the engine size (dropping its speed to match the Zeus) that carries an AC/20, but later it's most commonly seen as an LRM carrier.

One of the Zeus variants in MWO can equip MASC and there's nothing like an assault mech loaded for bear with a bunch of SRM6's coming towards you at over 100+ kph and is the closest the Zeus will ever come to being a good assault mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

And Tyler Too! posted:

One of the Zeus variants in MWO can equip MASC and there's nothing like an assault mech loaded for bear with a bunch of SRM6's coming towards you at over 100+ kph and is the closest the Zeus will ever come to being a good assault mech.

The experimental CGR-1X1 Charger had an XL400 engine, MASC, and an Engine Supercharger (which is essentially identical to MASC (the two stack). The combination pushes the Charger from a 5/8 to a 5/13. On a full 12 hex charge*, the CGR-1X1 will deal 192 damage to its target while taking basically nothing in return.

*the odds of setting up a charge this long are very low, most tabletop maps have some sort of terrain feature that will slow the Charger or force it to make a turn somewhere during the charge attempt.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

So in RogueTech does the Tactician (5 Tactics) morale gain passive just not work? I got it on a few pilots and still just gain the standard +2 Resolve per turn.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
With the RogueTech changes to repair costs, is it worth repairing a mech just to sell it, or do you get more net money by scrapping it? I've got a lot of light chassis that I don't have the gear to properly equip lying around right now and could stand to sell a few.

E: Just tested it and no, its not, at least with cheap light mechs. If you've got a chassis you don't want lying around, just scrap it rather than selling it. A Panther sold for almost exactly what it would scrap for, and the repair cost was not negligible (plus tying up a bay)

e2: Priority missions in RogueTech look weird.

e3: Still haven't seen a single heavy yet, so I'm running with my complement of original 4 mediums still, plus slowly getting a spare lance

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 1, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Looking for loadout advice, my current mechs are:
* Thunderbolt, near-stock (replaced PPC with LL+ML, thinking about swapping it back) - brawler
* Orion, with AC/10 upgraded to AC/20, and missiles replaced with 2x SRM6 - brawler
* Trebuchet, stock - lurm boat
* Jagermech JM6-S (i.e. autocannon only, no missile mount points), stock - direct fire support

Any suggestions for getting more bang for my buck?

Also where in gently caress can I find a catapult? I've liberated Smithon and but so far I've only seen one once, in an assassination mission where like an idiot I'd negotiated for all cash and no salvage.

Edit: not running any mods

GotLag fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 1, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ravenfood posted:

With the RogueTech changes to repair costs, is it worth repairing a mech just to sell it, or do you get more net money by scrapping it? I've got a lot of light chassis that I don't have the gear to properly equip lying around right now and could stand to sell a few.

E: Just tested it and no, its not, at least with cheap light mechs. If you've got a chassis you don't want lying around, just scrap it rather than selling it. A Panther sold for almost exactly what it would scrap for, and the repair cost was not negligible (plus tying up a bay)

e2: Priority missions in RogueTech look weird.

Preach. I'm going to disable the "entirely destroyed on acquisition" bit because repairing and outfitting a loving panther was 750,000 cbills.

I like the no items bit since it encourages you to find engines and the other equipment but on default settings the strategic play in roguetech is idiotic.

Tactical gameplay is tons of fun though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ham Sandwiches really was onto something, because RogueTech sounds exactly like Long War.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ham Sandwiches really was onto something, because RogueTech sounds exactly like Long War.

Randomly opened the thread and saw this, skimming through the nexus page right now. For those of you who've given this mod a try, is it just 100% endless stuff or is there some kind of endgame? While it sounds great on paper, I don't want to end up playing random missions over and over again if there isn't any win condition.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Preach. I'm going to disable the "entirely destroyed on acquisition" bit because repairing and outfitting a loving panther was 750,000 cbills.

I like the no items bit since it encourages you to find engines and the other equipment but on default settings the strategic play in roguetech is idiotic.

Tactical gameplay is tons of fun though.

Yeah, I wish there was a middle ground between getting nothing at all and a full loadout. As-is I just got something like an Erinyes and cool, I have a unique hero-mech with...nothing fancy on it at all so I turned it into a flamerboat because I have so so many of the drat things.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What beta of the game do I need for the current version of rogue tech? The main release?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

GotLag posted:

* Thunderbolt, near-stock (replaced PPC with LL+ML, thinking about swapping it back) - brawler
* Orion, with AC/10 upgraded to AC/20, and missiles replaced with 2x SRM6 - brawler
* Jagermech JM6-S (i.e. autocannon only, no missile mount points), stock - direct fire support

Also where in gently caress can I find a catapult? I've liberated Smithon and but so far I've only seen one once, in an assassination mission where like an idiot I'd negotiated for all cash and no salvage.

Thunderbolt: Sounds good already. This is the SS Tbolt, right? Only suggestion would be to drop SRMs (if you have them) for SLs and (close to) max armor. If it runs too hot, drop the LL for another ML and heat sinks. This will essentially give you a 65 ton HBK-P with more armor and more melee power.

Orion: Go with AC20, 2xML, 1xSRM or AC20, 2xSRM. Two MLs and SRM6s will be too hot.

Trebuchet: If you want LRMs, drop the MLs and go with 3 tons of ammo. What I like doing with them is dropping the LRMs entirely, going for near max armor and 3xML/2xSRM6. This is a solid brawler in 3 skull and less missions.

JM6: 2xAC5, LL.

Catapults: Just keep doing 3-4 skull missions. I think (though I may be imagining it) that fighting against Cappellans (and maybe FWL?) yeilds more catapults. If you're looking for LRMs, there is an Orion with a missile hardpoint in each arm. It looks goofy, but it can easily do 3xLRM15 or 2xLRM20 with enough ammo to last forever (don't bother with MLs).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Psycho Landlord posted:

because RogueTech sounds exactly like Long War.

the similarities sure do sound pretty strong, yes

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The level of variety in the sandbox mode really helps maintain the replay value. You could play it for 50+ hours then encounter a mech you never seen before. The progression is a lot more gradual because early on you have to play super conservatively, and even mid to late game you can still be a perpetual month from bankruptcy because all the star league advanced tech and prototype equipment costs an arm and a leg to maintain.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Psycho Landlord posted:

I've never played Long War, is it also an overwrought pile of poo poo?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Q_res posted:

It's a case study in feature creep. An insane number of tweaks, changes, new gear and enemies. Most of it is poorly explained. An important element of the game (interceptor 'air game') is pure RNG and can utterly gently caress you quickly.

It's still worth playing for the challenge, if vanilla XCOM Impossible is too easy. Long War 2 though is just about worthless since it changes the base game so severely it's pretty much broken. Roguetech is more similar to LW1

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Long War 1 is actually a ton of fun, especially because it exposed a lot of the uecode to modding. I actually tried my hand at some of it and there was a lot of fun things you could do once you weren't constrained by .inis anymore. It was a singularly impressive achievement because of how resistant Xcon: EW was to modding in the first place. sure it needed a little bit of balancing to make things easier, but not that much.

LW2 was just stupid and I never bothered playing it. There wasn't a need and there wasn't much impressive about it since it was a very moddable game.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

GotLag posted:

Which thunderbolt model?
ON1-K: that works. Alternatively 2xSRM6 + medium lasers.
Trebuchet: bad mech, centurion does LRM boat better. Hell, the Shadow Hawk is a better chassis than the trebuchet in every way, and you start with one.
JM6-S: triple AC5 works.

Always negotiate full salvage, always. Under normal economy settings, that's the best.

Best bang for your buck depends on what chassis you have available (as in your full stable). Generally speaking though, you want to go full brawl with SRMs and medium/large lasers.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Out of curiosity, how do reduced spending levels work? My monthly expenses are 568k C-bills at normal levels (fully-upgraded Argo) and I'm not losing money on the whole, but I'm curious as to what effect it would have if I chose a lower spending level. My morale is at 50.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Q_res posted:

I don't enjoy Long War at all myself, but I will say that LW is a marvel of consistent design and considered trade-offs when compared to Roguetech.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Including more variants of the 'Mechs that have more variants (Locust, Jenner, Hunchback, Shadow Hawk, Banshee, etc) would probably help.

When I started digging into the jsons this became my #1 :confused: "why didn't they do this?" critique for the game. If it had just been a thing where they needed to limit chassis variants to make the salvage system work, that would be an excuse. But no, they totally did it the right way with both chassis and loadout definitions. There's no reason the AI couldn't show up with some sub-variants that still gave you the base mech when salvaged.

For extra points, have some of them be tagged as "elite units" with non-stock equipment equal to what the player can use, and use that to up the class variety at various difficulty spots that were a bit monotonous in the campaign.

GotLag posted:

Out of curiosity, how do reduced spending levels work? My monthly expenses are 568k C-bills at normal levels (fully-upgraded Argo) and I'm not losing money on the whole, but I'm curious as to what effect it would have if I chose a lower spending level. My morale is at 50.

You spend less money and a few points are deducted from your morale. The morale you see in the ship CQ is where your super-power meter starts in each mission.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Klyith posted:

You spend less money and a few points are deducted from your morale. The morale you see in the ship CQ is where your super-power meter starts in each mission.

Is the deduction once-off or each month?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Every time that financial window comes up, you're picking your spending level and losing or gaining the morale indicated for each choice.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You know what? Base defense missions can go get hosed.

10 enemy mechs totalling about 600 tons attacking the base within two turns of each other, while I have 260 tons to defend with. All on a supposed 2.5 skull mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

GotLag posted:

You know what? Base defense missions can go get hosed.

10 enemy mechs totalling about 600 tons attacking the base within two turns of each other, while I have 260 tons to defend with. All on a supposed 2.5 skull mission.

On my first run, I quickly learned to stay away from Ambush, Escort, and Defend Base missions. It sucked, because it made every contract play basically the same with only terrain providing variety, but the objective-type contracts are aggressively unfun. Best case scenario, you're encouraged to do boring metagamey poo poo like pre-placing your mechs way ahead then manually triggering the next phase with your fastest mech. Worst case scenario, enemies spawn in such a way that you are completely unable to stop them.

I'd say that improving the mission-generating engine would have been my #1 request for an expansion. Fix the existing objective types to remove the bullshit (let me issue orders to the escorted convoy, let me set up the ambush without a timer, have base defenses spot the attackers from farther away), then add more or better yet add a system that generates pseudo-campaign missions by combining several objectives. For example:

- escort a bunch of convoys to a base, then defend the base from attack, each vehicle you saved provides ammo for one base tower.
- (there's a campaign mission like that) a convoy is heading to a base, you need to destroy both, you can either rush to intercept the convoy to fight it separately or take your time but face a garrisoned base, your choice
- capture and defend a base, but if you first assassinate an enemy leader, they won't attempt to retake it