Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I mean it already sucks.

Other World's Monster Breeder posted:

When sent to a different world, Souta was given the unpopular profession of ‘Monster Tamer’. However, Souta got the skill “Absolute Domination” which gives him a 100% chance to capture anything.

Continue to combine Monsters! Monster raising fantasy!

Everything this dude writes sounds awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
MC moping about finally getting to feel love at the end of ch2, after having a hot anime lady swear fealty to him. Yep that’s love my guy

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Wait there's another Skill Taker?

There's an isekai no skill taker, and if i remember correctly it is terrible. Maybe in the "lovely drivel" way that people might want as a palate cleanser.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Wait there's another Skill Taker?

There's an isekai no skill taker, and if i remember correctly it is terrible. Maybe in the "lovely drivel" way that people might want as a palate cleanser.

I remember one about a dude being reincarnated as a goblin and eating monsters to get their knowledge that was interesting, if dumb. Then they find humans and there’s a huge justification for why he’s cool with eating sentient things. Then there is a bunch of sexual assault of his prisoners and a bunch of other awful stuff

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are a bunch of skill takers. I've never seen a not-terrible one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sword Dad isn't terrible and he steals skills

Or is "skill taker" the name of a series?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mors Rattus posted:

I honestly wanted to see more of his plan for world conquest via being a really good McDonald’s employee.
It's funny you said this right then because like a chapter or two later from where I was when you said this, the MgRonald's gets shut down for renovations to turn it into a McCafe and it hasn't reopened up to where the official translations are yet :v:

But yeah I caught up to the current english chapters and I heartily recommend reading the manga for Devil Is A Part-Timer. The storyline it's been on since the end of the anime has been great and introduced a couple great new characters, Sariel(the big bad of the end of the anime) shows up again and has become a total porker goon from eating too much mgronald's because he has a huge crush on the lady who is maou's boss and wants to win her favor with constant business

the summaries for each character and what they've been up to are absolutely ludicrous sounding and I love it. Alas Ramus's especially. Pretty much every chapter Alas Ramus shows up in is guaranteed to be great, too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fellis posted:

I remember one about a dude being reincarnated as a goblin and eating monsters to get their knowledge that was interesting, if dumb. Then they find humans and there’s a huge justification for why he’s cool with eating sentient things. Then there is a bunch of sexual assault of his prisoners and a bunch of other awful stuff

That's Re:Monster, it's loving awful, don't read it.

Jackard posted:

Sword Dad isn't terrible and he steals skills

Or is "skill taker" the name of a series?

Yeah no Skill Taker is the actual name of the series. Sword Dad is mostly fine.

I know way, way too much about lovely isekai because I enjoy the genre as dumb escapist bullshit and so tend to be willing to give things a few chapters to see how bad they're gonna get.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

While sword dad was pretty funny I made the mistake of reading the LN and welp comedy relief character that’s a rapist pedophile because he’s bisexual. Maybe the manga will tone that down :sigh:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
...oh. Well that sucks. Hopefully that character is just gone from the manga. It condensed the entire opening section from chapters into a few pages, so there's some hope.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

That's Re:Monster, it's loving awful, don't read it.
It's aggressively bad in a way I don't see often. Not even talking about the hentai aphrodisiac nonsense, But the MC is just this blatant Gary Stu that can "do no wrong" and always gets the right skill for the task with no brakes on his progress and everyone loves him even though he's technically the next demon overlord in the making. Yeesh, I regret picking that one up.

So it's going to be another kingdom builder type story?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I wish Tensei Slime Dattara whatever had a better translation because it's a much better take on the wish-fulfillment-kingdom-builder.

Mostly because no slavery is involved, everyone is willingly working for Slime Guy, and he seems really pretty wholesome and big on not abusing his power.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Hope slime guy anime doesnt end up with bad cgi like spider girl anime

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Does anyone know an isekai where the guy could only posess monsters in a dungeon (he’s like a ghost or spirit) and ends up helping some adventuring party and posessing a familiar to escape? I feel like that’s where the scanlation ended but it also might have just gotten lame after that

Also slime guy manga is pretty good, I kinda wish there was a little more internal friction on his side and that the monster town was a little more wild but eh, its lighthearted

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sounds like Spirit Migration
https://mangadex.org/title/14437/spirit-migration

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's completely dedicated to the idea that the slime will never lose anything, ever. a subordinate dies? well, gotta go butcher an army, bring that subordinate back to life and also make them literally unkillable.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spirit Migration was pretty much fine but it got axed, and the ending is pretty abrupt.

E: Slime Guy is a trashy dumb manga but it's still better than most isekai because it's neither hateful nor rapey nor slave-obsessed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Spirit Migration was pretty much fine but it got axed, and the ending is pretty abrupt.
That was my thought as well. It was a simple story but had an overall likeable cast and a neat gimmick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

E: Slime Guy is a trashy dumb manga but it's still better than most isekai because it's neither hateful nor rapey nor slave-obsessed.

it isn't vile but it isn't interesting either. there's never anything at risk because the author abhors risk. i'd say it is equivalent to the wn where an adventurer retires and then it is about the completely sincere and humorless process by which he buys a house and furniture.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is pretty much just a timewaster, yeah. That's about all I ask from most isekai tho.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spirit migration was a good fun series and the final form he got before the series got the kibosh was actually rad looking, like some sort of super robot golem

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd say it is equivalent to the wn where an adventurer retires and then it is about the completely sincere and humorless process by which he buys a house and furniture.

excuse me, it's called "It's my life" and it owns

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HenryEx posted:

excuse me, it's called "It's my life" and it owns

no, that's the one with humor and drama and charming characters.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/an-a-ranked-adventurers-slow-living/

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks! Although it really was spinning its wheels before it got cancelled

rvm
May 6, 2013
Gyaru Tensei

Gyaru isekai manga. It's pretty dumb, but entertaining. Features more traditional isekai protagonist as a comic relief.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now that there's a gyaru isekai type manga, what other cliches can we cram onto that to create the most gimmicky manga ever

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
An aunty reincarnates into a fantasy land as a hot girl and continues making okonomiyaki to amaze the fantastical masses

or something, I know I saw that on NovelUpdate somewhere

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

I Will Quit the Entourage of the Villainess posted:

When I noticed, I was a Villainess, Follower B!

Huh? Isn’t this the world of the game my daughter played before?!

Suddenly, I, the Earl’s daughter Cosette, regained my memories of a previous life and was appalled by my mildly grand fatty body type and started dieting.

Using the skills I’ve cultivated continuously in my previous life as a old woman, today Cosette will push forward!

She wows the people with the power of diet slippers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Now that there's a gyaru isekai type manga, what other cliches can we cram onto that to create the most gimmicky manga ever

Kiryu Kazama in Monster Hunter

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You can't really make a truly gimmicky manga. Either it is only focused on memes from a small internet subculture, and/or it is successful enough to spawn a whole sub-genre to run the gimmick into the ground.

Compendium posted:

An aunty reincarnates into a fantasy land as a hot girl and continues making okonomiyaki to amaze the fantastical masses
I would actually say that this is one of the better food based isekai stories.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I want o say I heard about an LN where the gimmick was otome game, but every one of the women involved was reincarnated isekai stuff.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mors Rattus posted:

I want o say I heard about an LN where the gimmick was otome game, but every one of the women involved was reincarnated isekai stuff.

There's a lot of those

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

rvm posted:

Gyaru Tensei

Gyaru isekai manga. It's pretty dumb, but entertaining. Features more traditional isekai protagonist as a comic relief.

This has a konosuba vibe where everyone is a massive shithead, but the humor is a little eh. Although the big joke with their special powers and how its driving the plot has some potential

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Compendium posted:

There's a lot of those

No, there's a lot where one of them is. I mean specifically all of them are. All of the female rival characters are reincarnated, the female lead is reincarnated. Simultaneously.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think that's https://www.novelupdates.com/series/an-otome-games-burikko-villainess-turned-into-a-magic-otaku/

The most interesting thing about it is that the antagonist is the protagonist reincarnator who decides to lead a rebellion against the nobility using her super broken magical power.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Stop talking about isekai immediately.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I missed when "fantasy" indicated something fantastical, and not power fantasies about living in a video game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

halleys comet posted:

Stop talking about isekai immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I was interested in So I'm a Spider, So What?. Should I read the LN or manga?