Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I got motherfuckin' Scarface on repeat. Scarface on repeat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

The Innocents, The Sinner, Insatiable: any of these any good?

Insatiable is really good once you get past the clunky first couple episodes, if you're a fan of Heathers/Mean Girls style humor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I got motherfuckin' Scarface on repeat. Scarface on repeat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMAjWOiqx-g

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What's a good korine movie to check out spring breakers?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
All of them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

What's a good korine movie to check out spring breakers?

If you want energetic chaos, Gummo. If you want something more character-driven, Mister Lonely. If you want absurd nightmarish home movies, Trash Humpers.

But really

K. Waste posted:

All of them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trash Humpers is an amazing film, and posting a screenshot from it got me my first probation here! :v:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Trash Humpers might be the best found footage movie of all time. It also works really well as a low key TCM movie, which kinda applies to Gummo, too.

Julien Donkey-Boy is also essential viewing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I caught Mister Lonely which I watched via a free trial of the sundance channel on prime and the second episode of that new Jack Ryan show on prime.

I'm pretty sure I got whiplash going from one to the other, but both are pretty good.

Mister Lonely was an absolutely charming movie about a Michael Jackson impersonator (played by Diego Luna) that meets a Marilyn Monroe impersonator who invites him to a commune of other impersonators. I don't think it was quite as good as Spring Breakers, but it ventured a lot further into the absurd and I think I wound up liking it more. Diego Luna was very handsome as well so that may have influenced my opinion a bit.

Jack Ryan is a well executed spy thriller in the traditional Clancy airport paperback style, though with slightly more modern sensibilities. I accidentally dropped in at episode 2 but it doesn't feel like I missed too much. John Krasinski gives a very charismatic performance which seems to be his default mode. Wendell Pierce also makes a not so triumphant return to law enforcement as a disgraced field agent shipped off to a backwater post where he meets Ryan and seems to be giving a pretty great performance as well. The action scenes are really well put together.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
By the way dont accidentally skip the first episode of jack ryan like I did because it's loving crazy, a really strong start with a loving incredible action sequence. I was expecting a passable spy thriller with a decent cast and it's far surpassing my expectations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You can spoil tag this, but is Ding Chavez in that show?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jose Oquendo posted:

You can spoil tag this, but is Ding Chavez in that show?

Not that I've seen, and neither is Clark. There is an operative named Matice that fills that role

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Not that I've seen, and neither is Clark. There is an operative named Matice that fills that role

Awww, man, those two were the best characters in the Clancy books. Though they’d have to move up Clark’s backstory, he would be pushing 80 in 2018.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Awww, man, those two were the best characters in the Clancy books. Though they’d have to move up Clark’s backstory, he would be pushing 80 in 2018.

Well the new Jack Ryan certainly wasn't riding a desk during the Cold War, unless they're taking the show into a whole new direction and he's some kind of time traveler. It is kinda weird that they're just updating him and ignoring the rest of the characters, but maybe they have plans to gradually introduce the Tom Clancy Extended Universe characters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

tweet my meat posted:

I got high as poo poo and put on spring breakers. This movie is loving wild, closest movie I can draw a comparison to is wake in fright, but a bit more stylish and with more sleaze somehow.

I wouldn't have gone there right away but that's a good comparison.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just got a notification that season 5 of Great British Baking Show is on Netflix!:neckbeard::swoon::woop:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

10 Beers posted:

Just got a notification that season 5 of Great British Baking Show is on Netflix!:neckbeard::swoon::woop:

Hell yes!!!!!!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fear of a Black Hat is on Prime. Imagine This Is Spinal Tap but it's about a bunch of NWA wannabes. I used to love this movie and thought it had been lost to time. Take 3 minutes out of your life and watch this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JsKq--e0QQ

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tweet my meat posted:

By the way dont accidentally skip the first episode of jack ryan like I did because it's loving crazy, a really strong start with a loving incredible action sequence. I was expecting a passable spy thriller with a decent cast and it's far surpassing my expectations.

I was too ashamed to admit why I giggled when Ryan mentioned writing a custom SQL query. Like holy poo poo dude, going to wow your new boss with a pivot table next?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Filthy Hans posted:

Fear of a Black Hat is on Prime. Imagine This Is Spinal Tap but it's about a bunch of NWA wannabes. I used to love this movie and thought it had been lost to time. Take 3 minutes out of your life and watch this clip:

Oh poo poo, yeah. FOABH is amazing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
OZARK SEASON 2 BAYBEE

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Avoid "the Beyond"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Guys, Jack Ryan wrote a *custom* SQL query.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
FYI, if you're on the fence about Jack Ryan, you will see "tupac420" pop up multiple times in the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrNutt posted:

Well the new Jack Ryan certainly wasn't riding a desk during the Cold War, unless they're taking the show into a whole new direction and he's some kind of time traveler. It is kinda weird that they're just updating him and ignoring the rest of the characters, but maybe they have plans to gradually introduce the Tom Clancy Extended Universe characters.

Well, Greer is his boss in the show, so that's one character they kept. Cathy Muller, too.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I enjoyed the first episode of Jack Ryan, but I did noticed the star rating is a little low for it in comparison to other Amazon shows. So of course like the idiot I am I had to check the reviews out on Amazon, and boy the show has really offended the MAGA crowd. They are calling it liberal propaganda. I guess they are really offended about the backstory of the main terrorist. They hate the fact that actions taken by America can turn a civilian into a terrorist. They really believe America deserves zero blame.

Jack Ryan feels like the Homeland replacement I didn't know I needed.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

nate fisher posted:

I enjoyed the first episode of Jack Ryan, but I did noticed the star rating is a little low for it in comparison to other Amazon shows. So of course like the idiot I am I had to check the reviews out on Amazon, and boy the show has really offended the MAGA crowd. They are calling it liberal propaganda. I guess they are really offended about the backstory of the main terrorist. They hate the fact that actions taken by America can turn a civilian into a terrorist. They really believe America deserves zero blame.

Jack Ryan feels like the Homeland replacement I didn't know I needed.

Tom Clancy being decried as liberal propaganda from right wing nationalists.

What a time to be alive.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fart City posted:

Tom Clancy being decried as liberal propaganda from right wing nationalists.

What a time to be alive.

Honestly I was probably going to pass on this show as I'm finding it harder to watch jingoistic stuff like that, but thanks MAGA chuds for giving my conscience a pass on this!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
If you go into the first episode of Jack Ryan without preconceived notions, real world knowledge, or bias: the antagonists are the heroic underdogs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Filthy Hans posted:

I was always partial to their public service scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WFA0liN1o

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Miami Vice (2006) is on Prime. What a strange, strange movie it is. It's got a very distinct look that I can't quite describe, grainy digital fakereal? It doesn't quite look like a movie or a TV show or real life footage, one could say it looks like rear end but it's very deliberately looking like that. Perhaps trying to invent an early 2000s aesthetic like the TV show did for the 80s? The story is downright incomprehensible with everyone mumbling their lines, so don't try to follow that, just look at the moving pictures.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Miami Vice (2006) was a big inspiration for Spring Breakers, so they make a fun double feature.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I remember watching Miami Vice a couple years after release and really liking it. I was confused by the hate, and I've seen it gain more and more love in the past twelve years.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Avoid "the Beyond"

I realize there will probably be a number of angry/disappointed people who watch this thinking it's "FROM Beyond" but I rather liked it anyway, it has grungy 70s Italian horror charm.

What I'm saying is I disagree and you should fight me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

If you go into the first episode of Jack Ryan without preconceived notions, real world knowledge, or bias: the antagonists are the heroic underdogs.
Is this a common problem with Tom Clancy's work? I think the only book I read by him was Rainbow Six, but it kind of had this issue as well (it devoted so much time to the point of view of the antagonists that it somehow ended up being a bit of a let down that their plan to release a virus to kill the entire human race failed in the end).

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Miami Vice is a pretty superb film with amazing casting and some of the best gunplay in recent cinema. Colin Ferrell's mustache is pretty top notch as well.

It's peak Michael Mann in the best way. It shares a very similar look and feel with Collateral. It's a love letter to dimly lit urban landscapes at dawn/dusk.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

Miami Vice is a pretty superb film with amazing casting and some of the best gunplay in recent cinema. Colin Ferrell's mustache is pretty top notch as well.

It's peak Michael Mann in the best way. It shares a very similar look and feel with Collateral. It's a love letter to dimly lit urban landscapes at dawn/dusk.

I think it was in the DVD extras that Mann specifically set out to emulate the look of camcorders with Collateral and Miami Vice.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

mystes posted:

Is this a common problem with Tom Clancy's work? I think the only book I read by him was Rainbow Six, but it kind of had this issue as well (it devoted so much time to the point of view of the antagonists that it somehow ended up being a bit of a let down that their plan to release a virus to kill the entire human race failed in the end).

I also had this reaction to Rainbow Six lol.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ozark season 2 seems pretty good so far. I didn't even know it was coming out until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Unzip and Attack posted:

I like the movie. My only complaint is that everyone is miserable and mumbles lines. The TV series (which is amazing) had a fair amount of humor while going into some pretty dark places at times.