Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

sure seems like it. you can read the statement she put out in the post above mine- among other things, she says that she was born in Miami but spent a lot of time between NYC and Colombia. all of the lines of attack against Salazar stem from the fact that she wasn't the same politically in college as she is now, which applies to practically everybody

it's weird that they mentioned they talked to her brother, who was surprised that she was running for state office. that raises the question of whether they're still in contact with each other, and if not, why they're not

They seem to acknowledge that a change of heart is not surprising in college. Rereading their sources for her changing back story, it seems more likely that it's just plain complicated so it's not hard that people got confused. And if you read the Jacobin piece they refer to at least twice, she doesn't say she immigrated, only that her family did, which is true about part of them.

I don't really like some aspects of her statement, though. Particularly her noting that this is a politically-motivated attack; she's a politician, that's life as a politician, you just deal with the content. And the content isn't really damning. It's giving her an opportunity to engage with a lot of relatively recently arrived Americans who I bet have a way more nuanced experience than "our parents moved here as immigrants or met here after immigrating and then stayed and had me" or "they brought me with them and I naturalized with them" or similar things but 4-5 generations back. Hell, I don't have one of those stories, my parents aren't Americans, and have no plans to become Americans; they had me here, left with me, and then I came back alone.

I don't know if this is going to be particularly harmful for her with anyone other than the ones who wouldn't vote for her because she's insufficiently committed to Israel right or wrong. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't really like some aspects of her statement, though. Particularly her noting that this is a politically-motivated attack; she's a politician, that's life as a politician, you just deal with the content. And the content isn't really damning.
i don't agree. one part of the issue is the article saying Salazar is not a real Jew on account of her father being jewish but not her mother (a moot point because she underwent a formal conversion to Conservative Judaism anyway), and the not-so-subtle implication that jews of color also don't fit into the mold of the "ideal jew" (read: white/Ashkenazi and pro-israel). a politically motivated attack is one thing, but when it's this personal, it's not something that should just be shrugged off

in related news: the latest attacks on Zellnor Myrie are that he's not from Lefferts Gardens and just moved there (he was born and raised in the neighborhood) and that he never passed the bar exam (he passed it before he graduated from Cornell Law). also, Jesse Hamilton said that there was a gunshot in the door to his house because somebody put it there, and there's speculation that it looks fake. if anyone is shameless enough to fake a gunshot in their own home, it's Jesse

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

i don't agree. one part of the issue is the article saying Salazar is not a real Jew on account of her father being jewish but not her mother (a moot point because she underwent a formal conversion to Conservative Judaism anyway), and the not-so-subtle implication that jews of color also don't fit into the mold of the "ideal jew" (read: white/Ashkenazi and pro-israel). a politically motivated attack is one thing, but when it's this personal, it's not something that should just be shrugged off

Agreed on all accounts.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if this is going to be particularly harmful for her with anyone other than the ones who wouldn't vote for her because she's insufficiently committed to Israel right or wrong. :shrug:

Thing is that the seeds of doubt about her portrayal of self, honesty, coherency as a candidate, could be planted -- Even within voters who don't care how, or know why, the Tablet piece was evil af from a Jewish standpoint.

Even if the consequences are not particularly harmful, the level of vile that Tablet reached is appalling, and that matters more and more as reliable media outlets and political coverage continue to spin out in this post-truth, Trump reality that we're trying to muddle through.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Except she said it was a reform conversion and she didn't feel it meant much because she felt she had an underlying connection to Judaism. This does lend credence to her story being unstable or at the very least not being expressed very well, if you have had that impression when she's said differently.

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Thing is that the seeds of doubt about her portrayal of self, honesty, coherency as a candidate, could be planted -- Even within voters who don't care how, or know why, the Tablet piece was evil af from a Jewish standpoint.

I mean, she seemed to go from a CUFI fellow to strongly self-identifying as Jewish in her pro-Palestine work, if there's doubt about this it is ultimately because of her actions.

quote:

Even if the consequences are not particularly harmful, the level of vile that Tablet reached is appalling, and that matters more and more as reliable media outlets and political coverage continue to spin out in this post-truth, Trump reality that we're trying to muddle through.

I think if people are using their identity as a cudgel they get to get scrutinized. And this isn't post-truth, the worst you can say about that piece is that they're being uncharitable and misreading ambiguous statements in their worst sense for their convenience.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Hello NYS politics thread:

Where's my legal weed? I wanna go down to the weed store and buy some.

Seriously though, I know Cynthia pushed Cuomo to the left on it, and NYS Health just issued a report that said "Yeah, it's a good idea" but is it realistic?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Not with Cuomo in power.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Cuomo will be dragged to legalized weed kicking and screaming but if he thinks it’ll help him get reelected he’ll sign off on it. I predict it will be quasi legal for a few years before pot stores start opening in Times Square. Just expect to be one of the last states in NE/mid Atlantic to actually pass the law

obviously if you’re nonwhite it will still be criminally prosecutable for years

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

someone should probably throw this one up here

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I helped out donating to david sirota both via his patreon and his wife's campaign and it's paying off huge lol. his brain got broke hard and he's been taking it out on scumbags ever since

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The attorney general debate yday was interesting, mostly as a way to see how much the other candidates feared Teachout. She was pummeled most of the running time, and she seemed kinda overwhelmed at the eagerness of her opponnents to go after her.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nixon wants 76 degree temperature in the hall for her debate with cuomo and calling his request for more air conditioning sexism because public spaces have long been too chilly for women in her view.
i wonder if he asked specifically for 69

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
76 is too warm

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
that is a factually supported thing https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/science/chilly-at-work-a-decades-old-formula-may-be-to-blame.html

but I never thought anyone would make it a point or try to change it

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/parkan/status/1034911731376521216?s=19

Good remix of a song about Cynthia Nixon

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

btw here is my thread for the debate tonight: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3867271&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti3

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm going to be at the Brazen Head in BK for the debate.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://twitter.com/soniasaraiya/status/1035178209749475328

Jesse is scared.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Except she said it was a reform conversion and she didn't feel it meant much because she felt she had an underlying connection to Judaism. This does lend credence to her story being unstable or at the very least not being expressed very well, if you have had that impression when she's said differently.

I mean, she seemed to go from a CUFI fellow to strongly self-identifying as Jewish in her pro-Palestine work, if there's doubt about this it is ultimately because of her actions.

I think if people are using their identity as a cudgel they get to get scrutinized. And this isn't post-truth, the worst you can say about that piece is that they're being uncharitable and misreading ambiguous statements in their worst sense for their convenience.

You were so right :sigh: Wondering if this poo poo had anything to do with her avoiding visibly religious Jews at political events earlier in the year.
Her statements, when examined in a big pile, show that she was relying on most people not knowing anything about Jewish identity, Jewish POC, and/or Sephardi communities. A lot of cranky, leftist Jews who defended her are pretty upset.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

if only I could cuddle up in a little blanket because it was chilly rather than fighting off AC haters so I don’t have to be drenched in sweat at work during the summer. it’s really either on or off :argh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

post name combo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there isn't an :ironicat: big enough for denouncing identity politics as belonging to "white gentrifiers" while engaging in it

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

In other Hamilton news: https://bklyner.com/michelle-obama-knows-nothing-of-the-michelle-obama-political-club-does-not-endorse-hamilton/

quote:

No matter the intentions, officials for Michelle Obama denied any association with the club. When contacted, officials in Mrs. Obama’s office were not aware of any political club in Mrs. Obama’s name, and confirmed that she has not endorsed Hamilton.

Just unbelievably dirty. Like cartoon villain dirty. Like this-isnt-even-believable-fire-these-hack-writers dirty.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Local dumbass Mark Gjonaj spent yesterday chanting SHAME at Biaggi. He was apparently there at Klein's request.

https://twitter.com/Biaggi4NY/status/1035510563936317441?s=19

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

fuuuuuuuuuck i just want this primary season to end pleaaaaaaaase

Waluigi-Soap
Jul 21, 2008

Accident Underwater posted:

Local dumbass Mark Gjonaj spent yesterday chanting SHAME at Biaggi. He was apparently there at Klein's request.

https://twitter.com/Biaggi4NY/status/1035510563936317441?s=19

Piss Tape Is Real hat spotted in the wild.

The folks protesting are all from the local community association, and the shame chant is because Biaggi is in favor of a sensible road diet plan which the association rabidly opposes. They asked me to come help and they got really pissed at me when they found out I was really there for Biaggi. I just really want that road diet.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Protected bike lanes not only reduce traffic deaths (for everyone, by forcing people to driver slower and not treat urban areas like a speedway) but they also have the bonus benefit of really pissing off the shittiest, most entitled rear end in a top hat drivers. It's win-win!

Plus you can ride a bike in them!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

gently caress riding a bike in nyc until there’s real, proctected bile lanes

e-lol I’ll leave it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tish James was speaking at a forum somewhere in Brooklyn and said she "only" received $70,000 from cuomo. i used to think it wouldn't be the end of the world if she won but i'm thinking otherwise now

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Tish James was speaking at a forum somewhere in Brooklyn and said she "only" received $70,000 from cuomo. i used to think it wouldn't be the end of the world if she won but i'm thinking otherwise now

She used this in her Brian Lehrer candidate interview too and the only reason it didn’t stick out at me more was because I was being driven insane by her weird verbal tic of referring to everyone as “individuals”

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

She used this in her Brian Lehrer candidate interview too and the only reason it didn’t stick out at me more was because I was being driven insane by her weird verbal tic of referring to everyone as “individuals”
and i thought the current political obsession with calling people "folks" was annoying

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
james is awful. did gently caress all as public advocate, just another politician obsessed with climbing the ladder

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I support bike lanes because we can use them to cordon off and then murder all the cyclists and then use them as extra sidewalks

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Waluigi-Soap posted:

Piss Tape Is Real hat spotted in the wild.

The folks protesting are all from the local community association, and the shame chant is because Biaggi is in favor of a sensible road diet plan which the association rabidly opposes. They asked me to come help and they got really pissed at me when they found out I was really there for Biaggi. I just really want that road diet.

Two of the Klein/Gjonaj supporters seen in the video are local people who are basically contrarians to anything proposed by anyone under 40 years old. There's a weird contingent of Online Boomers who still refer to people like me (30 something year olds with wives and children) as kids who don't know any better. They get real mad when anyone disagrees, no matter how politely.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I support bike lanes because we can use them to cordon off and then murder all the cyclists and then use them as extra sidewalks

I support this too. also speed bumps on every block for cars and bikes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tish james keeps doing the opposite of endearing herself and spoke at a long island church whose pastor is some ex-gay nutjob who loves conversion therapy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

You were so right :sigh: Wondering if this poo poo had anything to do with her avoiding visibly religious Jews at political events earlier in the year.
Her statements, when examined in a big pile, show that she was relying on most people not knowing anything about Jewish identity, Jewish POC, and/or Sephardi communities. A lot of cranky, leftist Jews who defended her are pretty upset.

Is there any recent reporting on this that isn't by right-wing rags attacking her or left-wing rags taking her at her word, whatever her latest one is, anyway? Google is being no help.

tish james keeps doing the opposite of endearing herself and spoke at a long island church whose pastor is some ex-gay nutjob who loves conversion therapy

She better lose. I'm hoping Teachout wins, but I really really want her to lose.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

On Staten Island they've put some bike lanes in, which I'm sure had infuriated the chuds. Problem is the just painted them in and didn't bother to fix and off the holes that were in the middle of some of these new bike lanes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there any recent reporting on this that isn't by right-wing rags attacking her or left-wing rags taking her at her word, whatever her latest one is, anyway? Google is being no help.

She better lose. I'm hoping Teachout wins, but I really really want her to lose.
Forward published an article today by some of Julia's old classmates at Columbia and Barnard defending her Judaism. I also took a video at a fundraiser yesterday where she talked about her father telling about his heritage, but I'm not sure where I can upload a video just for the thread to see.

As for Tish James, Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer switched his support to Teachout. He doesn't mention the anti-gay church as a reason, but as someone who is gay, that probably weighed on his mind.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So Julia Salazar grew up next door to Keith Hernandez in Jupiter, Florida and sued his ex-wife Kai for defamation after Kai accused her of robbing her and identity theft, for which Salazar was arrested..... ??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol the whole story is odd

here's the Post