Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

This. Whenever I forget about their spells I get rocked every time.

It doesn't help that the UI IIRC doesn't do anything to draw attention to their unique, super-useful mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I guess that's why they never clicked for me since I hate the combat in this game and autoresolve everything.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Avasculous posted:

It doesn't help that the UI IIRC doesn't do anything to draw attention to their unique, super-useful mechanic.

Yeah, it's just a grey rectangle with options that blend in with the rest of the UI pretty seemlessly. So it's not bad UI; but its also not good UI. I'm fine with it though because it is easy to access and does explain itself. Most of the time I forget it is because I've been playing other factions and then randomly roll the Ardent Mages. If I purposely choose the Ardent Mages, then I'm more likely to remember.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Avasculous posted:

It's alright, and congrats on your win. I actually think Necrophages are one of the harder factions to win MP games with, so good job.

Speaking of which, we're going to play again tomorrow, Saturday at 2 PM EST.

Anyone is free to join, and an unnamed, chitinous individual has gotten genociding new players on turn 30 out of his system.

PM me here or post to the thread and I'll give you the Discord link / my steam ID.

Honestly asking, how can the Necrophages win an MP game without at least genociding some players near them?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Beamed posted:

Honestly asking, how can the Necrophages win an MP game without at least genociding some players near them?

I'm mostly teasing him. That's obviously how they win.

I just felt bad because I'd explicitly assured people in the thread and before the game that they didn't have to worry if they didn't have a ton/any experience, because our MP games were very supportive, casual, and not prone to wiping newcomers off the map 25 turns in. But... Demiurge wasn't yet in the voice channel when I said that.

Speaking of which, nobody showed up on Saturday except for me, KirbyKhan who forgot about time zones, and Demiurge who forgot about the passage of time because Monster Hunter is that good or something.

I'm happy to try again next week at the same time, unless people would prefer a different one?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I’m game next Saturday. I’m going to try out a less genocidal empire this time, probably the mages who I’ve never played.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I enjoyed the game we had, alas next weekend is my partners birthday and her family are all up so I won't be available. The weekend after should be good for me though.

In other news, I finished my first single player game as the Kapaku and really enjoyed how their story quest series progressed. I was not expecting the "twist" after the reveal trailer and the talk of fire and burning. The Kapaku turn out to be chill dudes who realise that the Endless were assholes for moving them to Auriga and take measures to ensure they do not become a sower-apocalypse on the lands. The final step involves building a museum to preserve all the native cultures and memories of the life on Auriga to stand the test of time.

Now I have decided to attempt to win with the only faction I have never really played from the original release, the Roving Clans. I have always struggled with these guys, but I am going to try for a diplomatic victory to avoid having to use mercenaries.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Are we using discord for this?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Are you using their combat spells?

I had a few battles where I'd just timed my Pillar placement really badly, but I use them when I can. The spells kind of suck before you get an arcana level in, but the Stun owns a lot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
TBH the release of the Kapaku just makes me wish they’d release playable Sowers in ES2 so I can BE the Sowers-apacolypse.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They'd have to redo the Sowers for ES2 because their deal in ES1, being able to settle anywhere at the start, is kinda taken up by the Horatio now (or anyone with Ecologists as the ruling party).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Speedball posted:

They'd have to redo the Sowers for ES2 because their deal in ES1, being able to settle anywhere at the start, is kinda taken up by the Horatio now (or anyone with Ecologists as the ruling party).

Well they redid Hissho so I don’t see it as a big problem. Just make them an Ecologist faction and give them some gimmick where they get access to Terraforming tech early. You’d have to redo a lot of bonuses if you want to keep the production/food gimmick too, but again it’s not ike Hissho didn’t just completely revamp all happiness bonuses.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If there is one thing I have absolute faith in Amplitude to do well, its create interesting and unique mechanics for a race.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I can see a sowers race that does population backwards. When they settle a system they immediately get full pops on everything with sowers. But the number of pops decreases over time as the planets auto terraform up the chain as there is less "need" for the sower machines to be there.

They get pops only from expansion, but don't want to war much as it risks decreasing their pops even faster. That's a fun balance to maintain

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I really do love the Horatio mechanic. I can see some diversity in play for the Ecology like the reverse pop above or altering the fids penalty for not having the research.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think the game needs races that are better at populating certain planets. Like some people who live on lava planets, and have to research to be able to live on temperate worlds.

Or blimp dudes who can only populate gas giants.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Human Crouton posted:

Or blimp dudes who can only populate gas giants.
I would love to see some gasbags that get absolutely crazy population on gas giants and fuckall on the rest.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

Are we using discord for this?

Yes, through Map Goons. I can PM you the info if you're interested?

mitochondritom posted:

In other news, I finished my first single player game as the Kapaku and really enjoyed how their story quest series progressed. I was not expecting the "twist" after the reveal trailer and the talk of fire and burning. The Kapaku turn out to be chill dudes who realise that the Endless were assholes for moving them to Auriga and take measures to ensure they do not become a sower-apocalypse on the lands. The final step involves building a museum to preserve all the native cultures and memories of the life on Auriga to stand the test of time.

That's got to be the most upbeat ending of the ones I remember by miles.

Most of them are some variation of "GOT MINE, EVERYONE ELSE DIES LOL".

Although... Does that mean they're planning to freeze to death on Auriga, and count on the museum to outlast them?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
For multiplayer Saturday, would a game of Endless Space be okay with folks.?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Slaan posted:

I can see a sowers race that does population backwards. When they settle a system they immediately get full pops on everything with sowers. But the number of pops decreases over time as the planets auto terraform up the chain as there is less "need" for the sower machines to be there.

They get pops only from expansion, but don't want to war much as it risks decreasing their pops even faster. That's a fun balance to maintain

Oooh, now that's an idea I like. They fix up a planet to earthlike, then abandon it. They'd have to have some way of maintaining a base of resources off-system but yeah, this is doable. Maybe they could inhabit stellar anomalies.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ill be hanging out in the Discord at 12:00 noon PST (like 1.5 hours from this post). Hollar if you wanna Endless game.

Edit: By 12, I mean 11am. So like now.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 25, 2018

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The AI in Endless Legend on Endless get some insane cheats. I mean all AI in all games on hard difficulties gets cheats of course, but there is some next level poo poo going on in EL. Turn 47 I have already killed two full stacks from my nextdoor hyper aggressive neighbour by using my armies combined with the garrisons of my cities that were founded close together. However they still keep sending full stacks of units. 2 more. So by turn 47 the ai has produced 24 units and had time to combine them and send them into my lands. This is even more ridicolous than Deity AI in Civ. It is like they are not playing the same game at all. The AI in Endless Space 2 on endless does not seem to have the same level of infinite production as in EL.

I know I know, play on lower difficulty, but then it is so easy to win.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 29, 2018

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
If you find a 4x game where that isn't going on, let me know. It doesn't come close to the worst offender I can remember, Empire: Total War. They made a big deal out of the fact that you could now blockade ports and raid mines and stuff. The AI's economy had no basis in reality though (free units, no upkeep), so you just had to pretend that blockades did anything.

You didn't even mention the fact that it automatically progresses through the questline periodically without lifting a finger, although I dont think it can actually win a questline victory, so who cares.

It wouldn't surprise me if ES2 AI cheats less, because movement and combat are more simplistic than in EL, and have fewer choices to make where a functioning brain could gain advantage.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 29, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I appreciate that Behemoths aren't just meant for giant weapon platforms, but also research, economy, stuff like that. You want a giant mining operation in some place you don't have a colony at yet, you can send it over. It would have been too easy to just have them be Death Stars and call it a day but giving them strategic flexibility is nice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speedball posted:

I appreciate that Behemoths aren't just meant for giant weapon platforms, but also research, economy, stuff like that. You want a giant mining operation in some place you don't have a colony at yet, you can send it over. It would have been too easy to just have them be Death Stars and call it a day but giving them strategic flexibility is nice.
I havent gotten to play with them yet but I really like the concept. I never understood why some of these space 4x dont have a more developed "mining colony" concept and I feel like the Behemoths help bridge that gap. I guess I dont like that many 4x games make it feel like you have to Colonize everything, like in ES2, where you cant just set up a mining station where the assumption would be that you rotate workers in on shifts like people do on oil platforms these days.

I definitely wish it was a thing in EL. Sucks getting dicked by having no third tier special resources and not actually knowing until 2/3s of the way through the game....
(makes me wish you could see that the resources were there but cant do anything with them until you research the resource itself then research applications for the resource. That sounds much more sensible to me)

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I guess I dont like that many 4x games make it feel like you have to Colonize everything, like in ES2, where you cant just set up a mining station where the assumption would be that you rotate workers in on shifts like people do on oil platforms these days.

I definitely wish it was a thing in EL. Sucks getting dicked by having no third tier special resources and not actually knowing until 2/3s of the way through the game....
(makes me wish you could see that the resources were there but cant do anything with them until you research the resource itself then research applications for the resource. That sounds much more sensible to me)

Do you have Tempest? The Sea Forts are exactly what you're talking about, down to being actual oil platforms. They have to be claimed (but not colonized) and some of them provide tier 1/2/3 strategics as income.

I actually like both the fact that tier 2/3 resources are increasingly rare and invisible until the relevant ages. It adds pressure to still be colonizing (or conquering) in the late game and makes it less likely that people will avoid conflict until they can roll over the world with an unstoppable death stack.

It also makes logical sense (as much as anything can in a trippy fantasy world). No one on Earth was building colonies 2000 years ago to maximize their future access to plutonium deposits.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Avasculous posted:

If you find a 4x game where that isn't going on, let me know.

AI War Fleet Command

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
AI War Fleet Command AI literally play by different rules than the player and I don't think that's what he was talking about.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I remember reading that the AI in Star Ruler 2 didn't cheat at first. Eventually the option to allow them to cheat was added in, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Galciv 2 is still the best 4x AI but the game had to be pretty simple to allow it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Riftborn Engineer #1: Here is my design. For a medium attack vessel. It has twelve guns and, nothing else. Note its sleek curves.
Riftborn Engineer #2: This alarms me greatly.
Riftborn Engineer #1: Fine. Fine. Here also is my design for, a medium co-ordinator vessel. It has. Many gun AND defence AND support modules.
Riftborn Engineer #2: But, do you not see, now it has no space for Fighters. And/or Bombers.
Riftborn Engineer #1: RIGHT FINE what if. We were to put the guns on little floating orbs. That jiggle alongside the vessel.
Riftborn Engineer #2: I, I, yes, very well.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mokinokaro posted:

Galciv 2 is still the best 4x AI but the game had to be pretty simple to allow it.

Since the series was brought up, how's Galciv 3?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Prism posted:

Since the series was brought up, how's Galciv 3?

I tried to play it for like an hour and was like "this is just GalCiv 2 but prettier... but not by much."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

AI is really bad at playing complex games with a lot of variables. It's not just Endless games.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

TOOT BOOT posted:

AI is really bad at playing complex games with a lot of variables. It's not just Endless games.

The endless games are noticeably worse on this front than, say, the civ games, though. It's hard to make good AI but I don't see much evidence that they even tried.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

The endless games are noticeably worse on this front than, say, the civ games, though. It's hard to make good AI but I don't see much evidence that they even tried.

The Civ 6 ai can't even send troops towards you for a war past the ancient age so I'm gonna have to disagree.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Deleter posted:

The Civ 6 ai can't even send troops towards you for a war past the ancient age so I'm gonna have to disagree.

I haven't played much Civ 6 so I'll take your word for it, I was thinking of 4/5 mostly.

e: Although being able to competently prosecute a war in the first age would still be an improvement for the EL or ES2 AI

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I tried to play it for like an hour and was like "this is just GalCiv 2 but prettier... but not by much."

Yeah, the only noticeable change that I remembered was turning tiles from squares into hexes which doesn't really matter in GalCiv. I probably wouldn't have minded too much if it didn't still have the annoying thing from 2 where you had to queue up a million constructors to build and upgrade starbases.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, the only noticeable change that I remembered was turning tiles from squares into hexes which doesn't really matter in GalCiv. I probably wouldn't have minded too much if it didn't still have the annoying thing from 2 where you had to queue up a million constructors to build and upgrade starbases.

I think they removed this in later patches, so now you just pay a credit cost to upgrade, but I didn't pay a lot of attention the last few times I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I picked ES2 up a couple of weeks ago and I’m really enjoying it. The last 4X game I liked this much was SMAC. The learning curve makes for a pretty fun game, especially since the default difficulty gives you room to make mistakes as you figure out mechanics.

The only disappointment for me has been the Wonders-the bonuses are cool, but there are relatively few of them and they are not game-breaking the way they were in SMAC.

I’m definitely excited that espionage is going to be added in. With the next DLC. Hopefully I can play MP with you guys sometime soon.

What’s the difference between amplitude and games2gether?