Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

Oh well drat didn't realize that.

It was still a pretty fun cluster gently caress match all things considered.

I don't think they ever mentioned it when they updated to the new engine. It's just something we figured out from several failed kill attempts. You can have Tommy hit Jason with the bat and pick up a machete or axe to kill him but the second weapon needs to be very close for it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Regrettable posted:

I don't think they ever mentioned it when they updated to the new engine. It's just something we figured out from several failed kill attempts. You can have Tommy hit Jason with the bat and pick up a machete or axe to kill him but the second weapon needs to be very close for it to work.

Oh yeah that wouldn't have happened. Like I said, it was pure cluster gently caress pretty much from jump. That we attempted to kill Jason was just happenstance.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Regrettable posted:

That's reminding me of a game where there was a Jason kill being set up and I was Tommy Jarvis, and there was a guy right loving there with a pipe or something (can't remember what) and I had an axe. So Jason is sweater stunned, and I'm waiting for the other guy to whack him but he does nothing and Jason breaks out of his trance.

And then they loving blame me. I don't get the cheeve and then they have the gall to blame me :mad:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Can Tommy not knock him to the ground with a machete or axe?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

Can Tommy not knock him to the ground with a machete or axe?

Nope. Doesn't do anything but seemingly kick him out of his stun

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
so apparently this dead game is getting a new physical release at least on PS4?

https://www.target.com/p/friday-the...TC&FNDSRC=tgtao

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

mateo360 posted:

Why?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

mateo360 posted:

I want to post the sales figures on this then close the thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I want to post the sales figures on this then close the thread.

hang on i've got them for you

launch day: 13
launch day+1: 0

repeat

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it really sucks because this game actively kicks rear end still, especially when compared to the tire fire that is dead by daylight, but with the development trouble there's just no way people are gonna throw money down for it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That mask looks like it's better quality than the official F13 licensed masks I saw last Halloween.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah Dead by Daylight was the PSPlus game of the month or whatever so I gave it a shot. I wanted to post my thoughts in this thread but didn’t figure it was worth bringing it back from the dead

Holy poo poo is it terrible. People like that crap? F13 in its worst glitchy state is a thousand times the game Dead by Daylight is.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

It's a lot less buggy and beat F13 to print by a few months so it got big first. That's about it. It also has a lot of big name streamers constantly playing it thanks to developer bribery.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

streamers are really to thank for DBD's popularity. it's a fantastic streaming game precisely because the gameplay is paper thin, pretty much anyone can hop in, immediately understand what is going on and how things are working, and enjoy the spoopy gameplay. that doesn't make the game itself any less dogshit, of course.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It still had 20-30x as many players as F13 even before the lawsuit poo poo happened so there must be something enjoyable about it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

candy crush has 50x the players of either game but that doesn't mean that game's enjoyable at all

(it's the skinner box effect - DbD has one hell of a skinner box)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I haven't played DBD but 'paper thin gameplay' is an exact description of why I was bored of F13 after 2-3 days.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I enjoy the variety of the killers in DBD, they are very different and very fun to play. A shame that the killers will never be actually good because the devs are scared to get review bombed by the toxic as hell survivor community.:shrug:

On that note one time i was watching one of said DBD streamers and they called this game a broken scavenger hunt, and they then recounted how you could infinitely trap Jason in bear traps by just placing them in front of him as he got out because he takes a step out with his "being untrapped" animation. Was that ever actually a thing or was it something that happened to him because he was a popular streamer?

TOOT BOOT posted:

I haven't played DBD but 'paper thin gameplay' is an exact description of why I was bored of F13 after 2-3 days.

if you think F13 is paper thin then DBD is even worse. Only 1 objective for survivors to do and the only real interaction with the killer is running away and dropping pallets on them.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 1, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I played DbD prior to this game - not surprisingly I was an exclusive killer. Was rank 1 and all that, sure I would get dunked on right now but I know how the game works.

Playing Jason was WAY more tense than playing any DbD killer. With Jason you are constantly juggling: Phone attempts, car attempts, boat attempts, Jarivs, them getting the mask. There are instances where you literally would need to be in two places at once to stop something from being repaired and someone escaping. The RNG also played a huge factor in objective location and repair part location. There's also a huge disparity in skill level among the counselors as compared to DbD survivors. If I'm Jason and I find an early-game Ozone or Icey : I don't have loving time for that unless they messed up and random'ed LaChappa.

Not by any stretch saying DbD is a bad game - just that there's a shitload more going on in any given Friday the 13th game which requires more complicated juggling.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Coolguye posted:

candy crush has 50x the players of either game but that doesn't mean that game's enjoyable at all

(it's the skinner box effect - DbD has one hell of a skinner box)

as someone with a background in psychology, not see the skinner box in DbD

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mateo360 posted:

well whatever you call the feedback loop from seeing numbers go up and poo poo because that is literally what people talk about, endlessly, using those words, exactly, on their toxic as gently caress forums

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

mateo360 posted:

Hey same here, so how is it not?

E:

:confused:

Coolguye posted:

well whatever you call the feedback loop from seeing numbers go up and poo poo because that is literally what people talk about, endlessly, using those words, exactly, on their toxic as gently caress forums

DbD will always be a flaming pile because the devs actually give a gently caress what the survivors think. Friday The 13th barely pulled off the 'balance', but poo poo is supposed to be unbalanced in favor of a freaking monster so I guess I dont even know.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 1, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I got bored of F13 after 2 or 3 days but still patrol the rotten corpse of its thread months after the game itself actually died.

Astounding.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you should see the marvel heroes thread

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Coolguye posted:

you should see the marvel heroes thread

Oh lord its still going? The thread I mean.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
What would they actually talk about in the Marvel Heroes thread?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Sudbina posted:

What would they actually talk about in the Marvel Heroes thread?

The giant gently caress up that is the game's developer Gazillion. They hired a child predator as the ceo, then tried to hide it from Marvel. Amazing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh lord its still going? The thread I mean.

it's a thing of beauty

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

DbD will always be a flaming pile because the devs actually give a gently caress what the survivors think. Friday The 13th barely pulled off the 'balance', but poo poo is supposed to be unbalanced in favor of a freaking monster so I guess I dont even know.

It's funny too because you can actually Git Gud as a counselor in F13, it just takes some actual thought and learning from your mistakes, something which a large percentage of pubbie gamers seem incapable of doing.

Jason is OP, but OP in a way that's balanced unless you just totally suck at the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ultimately a counselor in F13 has agency. there's places they can go, things they can do, tricks they can pull to delay jason and drag things out. yes, ultimately, if jason tunnels the poo poo out of them they are completely, 100% doomed. but you have the power to make jason spend time, and ultimately he only has 20 minutes.

in DbD, a survivor has very little agency. they can run away, at a pace that is constantly and consistently slower than the killer's, and they have about 3 interactions with the environment, one of which is a timing and skill shot that could really get you the time you need to get distance (dropping a pallet to stun a killer). either those 3 interactions are good enough to defeat a killer's attentions, or they are not. in the former case, well played survivors become something approximating invulnerable. in the latter case, nothing they do really matters. time is not actually limited in DbD. it kinda sorta is because ostensibly people are repairing generators while the killer is distracted, but with how much smaller the maps are it's far from a guarantee that anything is happening. this is doubly true if the killer manages to hurt or down people and survivors get distracted because they scent Altruism points. this happens even at high level play.

when the SA thread was going, i asked for literally 5 months "what, exactly, constitutes good survivor play" and never once got an answer. not even an unsatisfying answer no answer, period. the people defending the game as good would always go quiet and avoid the question. then a few survivor perks got buffed and it became "slot this specific perk loadout, gained from playing dozens of hours, and then run this one of our three interactions."

at no point in F13's life cycle could you not write a few paragraphs on what constitutes good counselor play.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm still not good at DbD, but i'm not exactly high enough to run these weird perk specs and i'm doing fine? Rank 9 right now, don't particularly play much.

They recently buffed a ton of the killers (and they're doing it more) so Wraith, Hag and Trapper are good.

Good survivor gameplay is mostly "don't do dumb poo poo" and "be near a pallet". It's not particularly deep but its fun to play with my friends.

My rank is probably hurt a bit by my tendency to DC whenever I go up against someone playing Freddie though. He's not "powerful" but he's loving miserable to play against. They're buffing him too, sadly.

Either way DbD and F13 aren't really the same game. I still remember watching a guy systematically shift grab kill everyone in a f13 lobby and there is nothing like that in DbD.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The best way to play survivor is to trick the killer, not try to footrace him. His vision is poo poo by design so you want to break line of sight, get away from your scratches as best you can, and hide until the killer realizes he can't waste any more time with you. Theres a ton of poo poo you can do to fool the killer, my personal favourite is sprinting up to a closet, then walking around the corner. When the killer catches up, the closet is too obvious to resist. By then you'll have found a thicket of grass to nap out in until he fucks off.

Pallets and windows are there to get you the distance you need to pull a sneaky. I find DbD has more of a mind-game aspect to it where you have to out think the killer, while in F13 you can just shoot Jason in the face and sprint off into the woods. Both are pretty great options though :v:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I heard rumours there were leaked assets from the Grendel map. Any truth to that? I couldn't dig anything up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stop talking about Dead By Daylight. It's bad enough that for the entirety of F13's existence you had people angrily evangelizing that game on any twitter, reddit or youtube about Friday the 13th, like F13 becoming the more popular game would instantly cause people who play DBD's genitals to vanish or something. I'm half convinced the insane conspiracy theories about the Friday the 13th devs faking the lawsuit to scam players were started by DBD players.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It still had 20-30x as many players as F13 even before the lawsuit poo poo happened so there must be something enjoyable about it.

Nah.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't really see anyone angrily talking about it right now so maybe gently caress off for now and come back when people are actually doing that?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lurdiak posted:

Stop talking about Dead By Daylight. It's bad enough that for the entirety of F13's existence you had people angrily evangelizing that game on any twitter, reddit or youtube about Friday the 13th, like F13 becoming the more popular game would instantly cause people who play DBD's genitals to vanish or something. I'm half convinced the insane conspiracy theories about the Friday the 13th devs faking the lawsuit to scam players were started by DBD players.

Nah.

I heard Dead by Daylight fans put chemicals in the water that turn the frogs gay.

Also did you know the moon landing was faked by Dead by Daylight players in order to undermine Friday the 13th, bet that blows your mind

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

saying something is bad is barely contained rage

do u know

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I for one am offended that people are taking about a dumb asymmetrical game about a killer trying to kill people in a thread about a dumb asymmetrical game about a killer trying to kill people.

I'm real angry. Who would ever think that people might possibly compare the two and that people might have different favourites.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The difference between the two is that dead by dawnlight sucks rear end and fridaythe 13 is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They're both cool with friends, actually.

• Locked thread