Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
The solution for open pedalboard space is clearly more pedals, not a smaller pedalboard. It'll fill itself up in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’m borrowing a friend’s Wombtone and, so far, it is not good. But who am I to the might of Joel Korte?? :shrug:

The Wombtone I had sounded so awful compared to the Phase 90 that I wonder if I had a malfunctioning unit. It's hard to describe, but it seemed like the sweep wasn't entirely smooth, so at a certain point there would be an audible "dip" or "pop." I also felt like the overall tone was lacking something compared to my dry signal.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s kinda ridiculous how passionate I am about my Whirlwind. I don’t even pay attention to other phasers. It’s that exact old school lush sound I always heard in my head. Probably the first time I’ve ever got the exact sound I wanted out of a pedal.

Oooo that one looks nice. Have you used it with bass? Does it cut any low end?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Juaguocio posted:

Oooo that one looks nice. Have you used it with bass? Does it cut any low end?

Not yet but I’ll try it on bass tomorrow and let you know :)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Is there a good formant shifter pedal for vocals? Googling just gives me a ton of plugins, pedals to add vocal formants to guitars, vocoders, pitch shift pedals that maybe have a way to do formant shifting but also maybe don't, and people on the gearslutz forums arguing about autotune and MTV. I've already got plugins that do it, I'm just looking for a way to recreate that live without dragging a laptop around.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CaptainViolence posted:

Is there a good formant shifter pedal for vocals? Googling just gives me a ton of plugins, pedals to add vocal formants to guitars, vocoders, pitch shift pedals that maybe have a way to do formant shifting but also maybe don't, and people on the gearslutz forums arguing about autotune and MTV. I've already got plugins that do it, I'm just looking for a way to recreate that live without dragging a laptop around.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TalkingPedal--electro-harmonix-next-step-talking-pedal-vocal-formant-wah-pedal-with-fuzz

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TalkMachST--electro-harmonix-stereo-talking-machine-vocal-formant-filter-pedal

Is all I can find.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

CaptainViolence posted:

Roland vt3?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

After The War posted:

As the owner of um... 9 DOD pedals, this thing does the job. But if you don't want to throw a battery in it, you probably don't want to buy a dedicated adapter-adapter.

(Though if you want to get into collecting pedals, it's worth it to have one or two, since a lot of old American brands used the Male Prong, like EHX, MXR, and ProCo.)
This is the right answer - get the adapter, then get a Rat so if you don't like the DOD pedal, you at least have a Rat and a power supply for it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

What is your favourite modulation and what do you do with it?

I've got a Helix which has pretty much every effect (except a decent POG sim) and all I ever do is mess about with the reverbs and delays. I've barely touched the modulation section at all.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

massive spider posted:

I've got a Helix which has pretty much every effect (except a decent POG sim) and all I ever do is mess about with the reverbs and delays. I've barely touched the modulation section at all.

I'm all about envelope filters and univibes at the moment, lots of fun to be had. It changes depending on band for me though, what kind if music are you playing?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Leck posted:

This is the right answer - get the adapter, then get a Rat so if you don't like the DOD pedal, you at least have a Rat and a power supply for it.

The Onespot combo pack I got included a few so I can now definitely say that the FX57 is extremely average.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, those are the ones that add vocal formants to guitar and it's crazy hard to find anything other than that in pedal form. thanks for looking, though!

hanales posted:

Roland vt3?

i think that might be it! it's more feature rich than i was looking for, but it definitely lets you control formant separately which is exactly what i need.

thank you both for your help!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

The Subdecay Vitruvian Mod is the best ring modulator I've used. It's really easy to dial in an exact carrier frequency for robot noises, and can be used as a detune or straight up pitch mod, too. The wet output is generated by a soundchip from a Commodore 64, which gives it a really unique sound. It's great for thickening up fuzzy solos and lo-fi, 8-bit sort of stuff.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

I'm all about envelope filters and univibes at the moment, lots of fun to be had. It changes depending on band for me though, what kind if music are you playing?

heavy ish rock music, I think part of the issue is that reverbs and delays are 'trendy' at the moment while mods feel a little retro. Every time i break out the phaser I think 'oh, Incubus'.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

massive spider posted:

Every time i break out the phaser I think 'oh, Incubus'.

I laughed at this and just wanted you to know.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

massive spider posted:

Moog mf flange controlled with a pedal

Pedal down is a nice classic flange that pairs perfectly with my dm-2w on a slap back setting

Pedal up is a seasick as gently caress chorus flange that works great with a longer delay... which I get because both are tied to the same pedal

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

massive spider posted:

heavy ish rock music, I think part of the issue is that reverbs and delays are 'trendy' at the moment while mods feel a little retro. Every time i break out the phaser I think 'oh, Incubus'.

Flange and phase with the depth set low can be nice to give solos or lead some extra movement, and tremelo can be cool with high gain in verses.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

massive spider posted:

I'm a bit torn, I like (Echobrain) analog delay AND (Joyo vintage) phaser because they're both multi-tasking effects. At low rates both can act a bit like choruses. The delay can be a quite subtle widen-er or a quick and dirty reverb. Phaser can do flange-like effects as it speeds up, all the way to a univibe-like vibrato. But I also want to show some love for the Mooer envelope filter which can be treated like an auto-wah or a scooped midrange as well as standard envelope. It can sound a bit toppy for some pickups, it's a bit better used with single coil pups because buckers drive it a bit hard, and I'm not talking really hot buckers either.

And all 3 have good application to bass as well as guitar, in fact the phaser is better than chorus for me (you can go from Police to Grace Jones with it), I would probably go for a more standard chorus pedal for guitars though. I'm looking at pedals that do more than one thing or apply cross-instruments though.

edit: are there good alternatives to the boss ge-7 equalizer pedal?

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 4, 2018

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Schlieren posted:

My Morphine Dream broke and they don't make them anymore :cry:

Update: I got it fixed :dance:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Fooled around a bit more with my FX57 and while it's kinda crappy for guitar I do like how it works with my Korg Monologue.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Figured I would cross-post from the Home Recording thread since this seems to get a bit more traffic.

I saw a local Facebook post from a studio that is moving and selling a bunch of their gear. I always try and keep my eye open for these because sometimes you can get some great gear for relatively cheap. However, I realized that I have next to no experience working with outboard gear and would really like to start teaching myself more about outboard processing.

Is there anything in this list of mixing/mastering hardware that I should consider getting? My first thought was the dbx160 XT Limiter/Compressor because I have heard a lot of good things about dbx and from what I have read, hardware compression has an interesting quality to it compared to in-the-box. If anyone has other recommendation on where to start with outboard gear, I'd love to hear them.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/708668182801669

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Those lexicon pcm 60 verbs are legendary, two of them for $600 is a decent price.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't have a decent condenser that's a good price on the c414 and the finalizer will save you a lot of stress trying to learn mixing and mastering at the same time.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I don't know which Tubescreamers are supposed to be the cool/good ones, but I know that the one I have is: a TS9, beat to poo poo, made in Japan, and I paid $20 for it.
I like it a lot in front of my amp's gain channel.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Really, it comes down to if:

betterinsodapop posted:

I like it a lot

then it's one of

betterinsodapop posted:

the cool/good ones

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I've been out of the game re: pedal mods for a while now, but I finally have a decent job with decent pay.

Who are some of the more affordable wizards who can turn average Boss pedals into amazing poo poo? I know about Keeley, and I think AnalogMan is still around, right? Any new people who have popped up in the last five years?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stayne Falls posted:

I've been out of the game re: pedal mods for a while now, but I finally have a decent job with decent pay.

Who are some of the more affordable wizards who can turn average Boss pedals into amazing poo poo? I know about Keeley, and I think AnalogMan is still around, right? Any new people who have popped up in the last five years?

Almost everyone will do it for you. Hell, I have 3 modded DS-1s sitting here waiting to go back to customers.

If you’re feeling up to it there is a kit version of the Keeley mods as well as many others who sell kits also (Mammoth).

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I followed the advice of this thread and got a Whirlwind phaser today. Will try it out at jam tonight and report back.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Double posting to bring you this Single Knob Phaser Showdown: Block Logo Phase 90 vs. Whirlwind

Construction:
Both are very solid, but the MXR wins this category. You could probably use it as a hammer and it would be fine afterwards.

Controls:
Both have one knob, and function almost identically. No clear winner here.

Noise:
Both pedals are fairly noisy. The Whirlwind has a bit more background white noise, while the Phase 90 has a more audible "swoosh" when nothing is being played.

Tone
Both have that classic thick, chewy phaser sound. The Phase 90 has a significant mid boost, which becomes more pronounced the more gain you feed into it. The Whirlwind is not totally flat, but definitely has much less EQ going on than the 90. I prefer the Whirlwind because it seems to work better with other pedals; the mid boost on the 90 is too much when combined with a fuzz or heavy overdrive.

Overall Value:
The Whirlwind does sound better to me, but I don't know if it's worth the price, since it's not THAT much better than the Phase 90.

I'm using these on bass, so YMMV. Probably won't keep either of them, since I'm realizing I need a phaser with more controls.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Line 6 have made a tiny helix http://www.promusic.news/bass/press-release-line-6-reveal-hx-stomp-multi-effects-processor

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Anybody have any suggestions for getting the best results out of an HM-2 clone? ("best" meaning "sounding the most like Left Hand Path")
Should I run it into an amp sim or just use it as a preamp?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

Anybody have any suggestions for getting the best results out of an HM-2 clone? ("best" meaning "sounding the most like Left Hand Path")
Should I run it into an amp sim or just use it as a preamp?

It should be run into a high gain preamp (either your amp's distortion all the way up or another pedal like a TS). Make sure the eq knobs are dimed on the HM-2.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It should be run into a high gain preamp (either your amp's distortion all the way up or another pedal like a TS). Make sure the eq knobs are dimed on the HM-2.

I tried running it into my Tightmetal and it sounded completely horrible (the wrong kind of horrible, I mean) -- extremely noisy even with the gain on the HM300 all the way off and with an overbearing can-of-bees treble. I'll need to workshop that one a bit, I guess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

I tried running it into my Tightmetal and it sounded completely horrible (the wrong kind of horrible, I mean) -- extremely noisy even with the gain on the HM300 all the way off and with an overbearing can-of-bees treble. I'll need to workshop that one a bit, I guess.

Pull back on the gain of the TM, see if that helps. The character of the swedish hm2 chainsaw tone comes from the EQ section, particularly when you overload them, so it's crucial to make sure those are up (they don't necessarily have to be up all the way, though).

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 8, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah if you're using an amp sim, set the gain on the tightmetal to zero (which honestly is probably still gonna be too much), and run everything straight to a cab ir. don't even bother with the actual amp sim part

if you're using a real amp, go hm2 -> tightmetal -> effects loop return

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 8, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'll fiddle with it some more tomorrow, I think the EQs on the two pedals are kinda clashing. I also fiddled around in Amplitube a bit. None of their generic models worked very well but I did get some promising results from some of the Orange amps.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Really wanted to like the Wampler Ethereal, but I find I'm just not digging it any more than I'd dig a much cheaper and simpler delay, like a Boss DD or MXR Carbon. Gonna dump it on Reverb.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

betterinsodapop posted:

Really wanted to like the Wampler Ethereal, but I find I'm just not digging it any more than I'd dig a much cheaper and simpler delay, like a Boss DD or MXR Carbon. Gonna dump it on Reverb.

I did that exact thing a few weeks ago. It’s a great pedal but just not for me, even as someone making lots of ambient guitar music. My Carbon Copy is still my favorite pedal and kicks the poo poo out of their delay side of the Ethereal (to be fair it’s a totally different sound) and the reverb + delay while excellent sounding just doesn’t quite nail what I want. Now I’m planning on grabbing a Neunaber Immerse v2. Seems like what I should’ve went for years ago.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

:cheers: Yeah, for some reason it bothers me that it does both reverb and delay, because I kind of feel like it doesn't do either extremely well. I think I went into it thinking "Well, I need a delay, and Wampler makes good poo poo, and this sounds useful," and then I got it and just felt kind of "blah" about it. The good thing is that the Ethereal sold in 1 day and I was able to get what I paid for it.

Previously mentioned TS9 Tubescreamer is acting funky. The output jack is wonky, and it konks out or makes the signal all muddy/cuts the treble. I'm gonna try that Hosa contact spray that some of you guys mentioned, and see if that fixes it up.

Finally, I rather impulsively bought a 1990's Ibanez SM7 "Smash Box" after watching a video that Josh Scott (of JHS Pedals) made about cheapish/good overdrive pedals. When he described it as a pedal that nails heavy high gain rectifier sounds and says he uses it by going into drop D to play STP jams...well, I was like "poo poo, I want that." Any of you guys have any experience with this wacky pedal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etiVDTNRdbM&t=281s

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kilometers Davis posted:

I did that exact thing a few weeks ago. It’s a great pedal but just not for me, even as someone making lots of ambient guitar music. My Carbon Copy is still my favorite pedal and kicks the poo poo out of their delay side of the Ethereal (to be fair it’s a totally different sound) and the reverb + delay while excellent sounding just doesn’t quite nail what I want. Now I’m planning on grabbing a Neunaber Immerse v2. Seems like what I should’ve went for years ago.

had the v1 immerse, didn’t love it; too subtle for my applications even with the mix and decay dimed

good for p&w stuff i would imagine and as an always on type of deal; they may have changed up how washed out it can get in v2

right now i’m using the meris mecury 7 and a zoom cdr on my board; the meris does everything the immerse did better for me anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

here’s my board because music gear discussion is really just “look at my stuff!” at the end of the day