Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

This thread or maybe some other D&D thread has seemed really, really aggressively anti-garden, with the arguments generally being more about the practical time commitment required. I'm with you, though. My girlfriend and I decided to start gardening a few years ago and... it's not actually a lot of work? At this point we grow a sizable portion of the produce we eat and I'd be hard pressed to say that we average even a combined two hours per week on gardening work. And that's including the larger amounts of time spent planting and harvesting. For most of the season there's hardly anything to do at all.

Like community gardens are fine, it's just that they produce a marginal amount of food (particularly from a calorie perspective) for a fuckton of effort. I wouldn't be surprised if many people end up burning more calories from the gardening than they actually get out. Producing a lot of stuff for little effort is just not a normal thing in gardening, so you are experiencing a combination of a huge amount of luck (no disease / bugs), live in a climate conducive to it (most people don't), have a good amount of space (most people don't), a large amount of planning and knowledge, and are greatly underestimating the amount of work involved (people do this for hobbies they enjoy). You also have a partner that enjoys it, which makes the overall activity much more enjoyable and a lot easier. Basically it's a nice hobby for middle/upper class people, I don't think many people working 3 jobs are thrilled by the concept, and can easily have their entire effort wasted because they just got too busy to water everything one day or deal with an insect invasion.

Climate change makes it all worse, of course, because you need to deal with huge swings in temperature and things like frosts in the middle of summer following by 110 degree heat waves. Or additional pests and disease.

How are u posted:

There's some small satisfaction in being right, and to the absurdity that's put us into this situation. Also, humans have always been drawn to apocalyptic poo poo.

What put us into this situation is just massive population growth, a literal seven fold increase in the timeframe .00000001% of humans existence, full stop. The absurdity is in the idea that this is some easy problem to solve when in reality the complexities involved make this problem orders of magnitude more complicated than literally any other issues humanity has faced. Like picture a thousand d-days and you'll have something approaching the complexity and international coordination required in stopping CC.

It's like a train. Just because you can see the problem, that a car is stuck on the tracks miles ahead, does not mean that you can stop the train in time. What most people suggest here as the "fix" would require someone to have levels of dictatorial control over the entire planet that exceeds what the most powerful people in history had. It would make Stalins look like Jimmy Carter. Or rather John Taylor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

tbh it's really just basic confirmation bias in terms of what literature people choose to consume and propagate. there's never really any substantial discussion on the articles just AAAAAAAH ITS BAD.

Same poo poo with that permafrost paper that dropped the other day. Everyone wants to just hoot n holler instead of discuss the cool and exciting details of thermokarst formation.

You are right, the temptation of instant gratification that comes from immediately declaring "told you so" isn't very productive.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Like community gardens are fine, it's just that they produce a marginal amount of food (particularly from a calorie perspective) for a fuckton of effort. I wouldn't be surprised if many people end up burning more calories from the gardening than they actually get out. Producing a lot of stuff for little effort is just not a normal thing in gardening, so you are experiencing a combination of a huge amount of luck (no disease / bugs), live in a climate conducive to it (most people don't), have a good amount of space (most people don't), a large amount of planning and knowledge, and are greatly underestimating the amount of work involved (people do this for hobbies they enjoy). You also have a partner that enjoys it, which makes the overall activity much more enjoyable and a lot easier. Basically it's a nice hobby for middle/upper class people, I don't think many people working 3 jobs are thrilled by the concept, and can easily have their entire effort wasted because they just got too busy to water everything one day or deal with an insect invasion.

Climate change makes it all worse, of course, because you need to deal with huge swings in temperature and things like frosts in the middle of summer following by 110 degree heat waves. Or additional pests and disease.

Good soil is the key, if you have good soil you just have to plant stuff and water it to get a bountiful harvest.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 31, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

Why are the wildfires a bad thing? Genuinely asking because I know that in California a lot of redwood species can't drop their seeds without fires so wildfires equal good thing for forests.

these wildfires are so severe that they're scorching the land completely, making it impossible for anything to grow

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

Why are the wildfires a bad thing? Genuinely asking because I know that in California a lot of redwood species can't drop their seeds without fires so wildfires equal good thing for forests.

I've been idly wondering this myself. Relevant factors to the west-coast wildfires are the impact of climate change, extra brush accumulation due to past fire-fighting efforts and the fact the entire ecosystem is adapted around burning down every couple of decades. I'm sure climate change is having a major impact via increased temperatures, but is there evidence that these current wildfires are historically anomalous ie larger compared to time periods before people started suppressing wildfires to protect property? My random googling found this:

PNAS posted:

Long-term perspective on wildfires in the western USA
Published online February 14, 2012
Understanding the causes and consequences of wildfires in forests of the western United States requires integrated information about fire, climate changes, and human activity on multiple temporal scales. We use sedimentary charcoal accumulation rates to construct long-term variations in fire during the past 3,000 y in the American West and compare this record to independent firehistory data from historical records and fire scars. There has been a slight decline in burning over the past 3,000 y, with the lowest levels attained during the 20th century and during the Little Ice Age (LIA, ca. 1400–1700 CE [Common Era]). Prominent peaks in forest fires occurred during the Medieval Climate Anomaly (ca. 950–1250 CE) and during the 1800s. Analysis of climate reconstructions beginning from 500 CE and population data show that temperature and drought predict changes in biomass burning up to the late 1800s CE. Since the late 1800s , human activities and the ecological effects of recent high fire activity caused a large, abrupt decline in burning similar to the LIA fire decline. Consequently, there is now a forest “fire deficit” in the western United States attributable to the combined effects of human activities, ecological, and climate changes. Large fires in the late 20th and 21st century fires have begun to address the fire deficit, but it is continuing to grow.
How much of the current blaze is us just paying some of the "fire deficit" from 2 centuries of meddling? I am definitely NOT an expert but these proceedings seems to suggest that if anything we're not seeing nearly enough wild-fires, and that our modern perspective of what's normal is just wrong. I suppose the real question is to what extent will the forests grow back, now and as the impact of climate change ramps up. I hope they do as they are incredible, fascinating places.

Also given the important role that fires play in west coast forests it's clear forest-fire fighting needs to stop entirely. It's just ignorant interference in yet another ecosystem, and making the fires even more extreme by allowing extra brush to accumulate over time that normally would have been regularly cleared out. I don't expect this to happen because protecting private property is society's main concern.

edit: ^^^^^ so you're suggesting that the intensity of the recent blazes is much higher than what the ecosystem is adapted to and we should not expect normal regrowth? Do you have a link?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

friendbot2000 posted:

I'm not too familiar with the local BC ecology but typically you want a steady burn rate to maintain the fire ecology. Complete burns over larger regions essentially set the whole area back to square 1 where you have to start over with shade intolerant brush and build back up from there. If too much area burns or areas burn too frequently then the successional forest ecosystem never has time to recover.

Fire is definitely a critical part of forest biomes, but like most other things adapting to it is a battle of rates. If we're seeing mid-century level burn rates already then the biome there is likely at risk.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Oxxidation posted:

these wildfires are so severe that they're scorching the land completely, making it impossible for anything to grow
Are they actually more severe, or are the plants just not adapted to bouncing back after wildfires?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

edit: ^^^^^ so you're suggesting that the intensity of the recent blazes is much higher than what the ecosystem is adapted to and we should not expect normal regrowth? Do you have a link?

it was from a naomi klein article circa 2016-2017 that described society's attitudes toward climate change as "sleepwalking towards the apocalypse," i don't remember any more than that

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
We basically need boats carrying mass kelp farms, absorbing carbon on long rear end trips to deep ocean. I don't actually know the physics maybe there are intake hotspots? Then we gotta haul the kelp to be sequestered some place. And that would probably incur too much carbon to do it, but maybe it's doable going green powered?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

vorebane posted:

We basically need boats carrying mass kelp farms, absorbing carbon on long rear end trips to deep ocean. I don't actually know the physics maybe there are intake hotspots? Then we gotta haul the kelp to be sequestered some place. And that would probably incur too much carbon to do it, but maybe it's doable going green powered?

speedrun the azolla event

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Educating the mass and politicians about safe carbon free nuclear energy is the number one thing any of us can do to fight climate change. The only hurdles are social/political and all the science is on one side.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

speedrun the azolla event

the Japanese are using nets to apparently double production surface, so mass dumbasses could potentially put a dent in it. Fighting ocean carbonification, I think acidification would be a plus. I forget how near hothouse the current trajectory the thread said we were at.

I agree we need nuclear power.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

It would make Stalins look like Jimmy Carter. Or rather John Taylor.
this thread makes stalin look like james taylor

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

this broken hill posted:

this thread makes stalin look like james taylor

Stalin only dreamed of achieving the kind of bodycount I yearn for. :magical:

paradex
Aug 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Rime posted:

British Columbia is burning at rates which were not forecast to hit until 2050, largely driven by a weakening jetstream as the arctic melts.

The C02 Emissions from wildfires in BC alone are estimated at over 190 Million Tonnes annually. All human activity in the province only generates 60 Million Tonnes.

Good thing the Arctic has a huge reserve of heat lurking below it now, which will accelerate the melt rate as we approach blue ocean.

But yeah, plant a tree and pull some weeds or whatever best floats your boat towards the apocalypse. :shrug:

I don't think a lot of people understand the reality until it hits them. The BC fires are so devastating that Seattle, hundreds of miles away, was having a very bad time. I had headaches, my eyes watered, kept coughing, the sky was orange, people started wearing masks and getting pissy, and it only lasted for for a week and a half and this is in the most passive city on the planet.

People are going to go loving nuts when climate change actually starts effecting them.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

paradex posted:

I don't think a lot of people understand the reality until it hits them. The BC fires are so devastating that Seattle, hundreds of miles away, was having a very bad time. I had headaches, my eyes watered, kept coughing, the sky was orange, people started wearing masks and getting pissy, and it only lasted for for a week and a half and this is in the most passive city on the planet.

People are going to go loving nuts when climate change actually starts effecting them.

Likely doesn't help that there is a fire west of Seattle and several others east of the cascades in Washington.

All of the U.S. states on the west side of the Rocky Mountains are on fire.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 1, 2018

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Burt Buckle posted:

Sometimes I get this feeling that you guys enjoy seeing articles that suggest things are worse than previously thought.
What other articles are being produced these days

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

What other articles are being produced these days

I’ve seen quite a few about carbon capture tech recently. Hopefully it continues to decrease in cost at the same rate that solar has.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rime posted:

Stalin only dreamed of achieving the kind of bodycount I yearn for. :magical:

you gotta figure the bodycount in a 3C future will be larger than WW2, just spread over 50 years instead of 5.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

A recent paper "The point of no return for climate action: effects of climate uncertainty and risk tolerance" does a good job showing the urgent need to start decarbonizing ASAP and the relatively limited impact of negative emissions tech. It presents a stochastic model tuned to existing CMIP5 simulations, allowing it to relate CO2 emissions over time to global mean surface temperature increase out to 2100. The stochastic model includes noise terms to reproduce the variance in temperature increase seen in a representative ensemble of CMIP5 simulations, allowing evaluation of warming probabilities for various carbon emission scenarios. In particular it derives "points of no return" (PNRs), the latest possible year we can start decarbonizing (assuming either 20 or 50 year decarbonization plans) and still meet a given end of century target maximum temperature increase (1.5K or 2K). Critically it derives PNRs for different levels of accepted risk ie decarbonization has to start much sooner to have a 95% probability of staying under 2K by 2100 compared to only a 50% probability. It also evaluates the impact of a major negative emissions effort that starts ramping up in 2061 to eventually sequester 4.21 GtC per year (IMO that's pretty optimistic).

Here's the money plot:

Some key results:
-it's too late to have a 95% probability of staying under 1.5K by 2100 assuming a 50-year decarbonization plan.
-having a 95% chance to stay under 1.5K requires a much more ambitious (unrealistic) 20 year decarbonization plan AND the massive negative emissions effort
-the most "realistic" mitigation plan ie decarbonizing over 50 years, no crazy negative emissions effort has to begin exactly NOW (2018) to have a 67% probability to keep warming under 1.5K
-Switching from a 1.5K to the 2K target allows a ~16 year delay to start decarbonizing
-Switching from a 50-year to 20-year decarbonization plan allows a ~10 year delay
-Switching from a 90% to a 67% probability to meet a 2100 temperature increase target allows ~8 years delay
-A massive global negative emissions effort starting later this century allows only 6-10 years delay

This table summarizes all these figures, and does a good job showing that delaying decarbonization now results in increasingly harder mitigation efforts later to meet a temperature target:

The article press release has a summary, along with some nice quotes:

European Geosciences Union posted:

Deadline for climate action – Act strongly before 2035 to keep warming below 2°C
30 August 2018
“In our study we show that there are strict deadlines for taking climate action,” says Henk Dijkstra, a professor at Utrecht University in the Netherlands and one of the study authors. “We conclude that very little time is left before the Paris targets [to limit global warming to 1.5°C or 2°C] become infeasible even given drastic emission reduction strategies.”
The researchers caution, however, that even their more modest climate-action scenario is quite ambitious. “The share of renewable energy refers to the share of all energy consumed. This has risen over the course of over two decades from almost nothing in the late nineties to 3.6% in 2017 according to the BP Statistical Review, so the [yearly] increases in the share of renewables have been very small,” says Rick van der Ploeg, a professor of economics at Oxford University, who also took part in the Earth System Dynamics study. “Considering the slow speed of large-scale political and economic transformations, decisive action is still warranted as the modest-action scenario is a large change compared to current emission rates,” he adds.

One critical problem with this paper, which they point out explicitly, is that it does not adequately emergent positive feedbacks at increased temperatures. So it's probably optimistic!

Burt Buckle posted:

I’ve seen quite a few about carbon capture tech recently. Hopefully it continues to decrease in cost at the same rate that solar has.
Achieving large-scale negative emissions is massively less important compared to decarbonizing ASAP. Even if carbon capture tech becomes cheap enough that sequestering ~15GtCO2 per year is feasible, it buys less than a decade to delay rapid decarbonization. Hansen was exactly right when he called negative emissions a "cancer" in discussions about climate change mitigation. It will be massively expensive and encourages people to think of it as an alternative to rapid decarbonization when it's strictly only useful AFTER massive decarbonization. It's just not relevant right now.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Thus we need nuclear, and coal to go on welfare. Maybe WV can go into mountaintop removal wilderness creation.

edit: grammar

vorebane fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 2, 2018

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The thread the last few pages is on the money. So many people out there think that some new carbon capture tech is going to save us from having to radically alter our society, when in reality we have to decarbonize to survive, then maybe if we are lucky we can undo some damage with capture tech.

paradex
Aug 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

The thread the last few pages is on the money. So many people out there think that some new carbon capture tech is going to save us from having to radically alter our society, when in reality we have to decarbonize to survive, then maybe if we are lucky we can undo some damage with capture tech.

I guess you haven't heard of Elon Musk! He will save us!!

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have to wrap this in a loving wall of caveats about his spoiled manchild behavior and his psycho gambling addict financial strategy

but if you can put that aside

literally no one is doing more for the cause of decarbonizing right now. which isn't to say his impact is more than marginal, just that, its quite large.

put it this way: assume all the things he's aiming for would have happened anyway without him/tesla. every other car manufacturer would eventually have electrified, and then ~20 years later as the fleet of rolling stock turned over, assuming the grid was being decarbonized in parallel, the "car and light truck transportation" segment of carbon emissions will be massively reduced.

if he hadn't dumped his paypal money into saving the roadster and then building the model s, that whole process, I argue, would have taken *at least* 5 years longer, easily 10.

that difference in emissions, if the transition occurs over 2020 - 2040 instead of 2025 - 2045, that has got to be well into the hundreds of millions of megatons if not a handful of gigatons.

so yea he's an evil ceo, but, scoreboard.

paradex
Aug 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich

StabbinHobo posted:

i have to wrap this in a loving wall of caveats about his spoiled manchild behavior and his psycho gambling addict financial strategy

but if you can put that aside

literally no one is doing more for the cause of decarbonizing right now. which isn't to say his impact is more than marginal, just that, its quite large.

put it this way: assume all the things he's aiming for would have happened anyway without him/tesla. every other car manufacturer would eventually have electrified, and then ~20 years later as the fleet of rolling stock turned over, assuming the grid was being decarbonized in parallel, the "car and light truck transportation" segment of carbon emissions will be massively reduced.

if he hadn't dumped his paypal money into saving the roadster and then building the model s, that whole process, I argue, would have taken *at least* 5 years longer, easily 10.

that difference in emissions, if the transition occurs over 2020 - 2040 instead of 2025 - 2045, that has got to be well into the hundreds of millions of megatons if not a handful of gigatons.

so yea he's an evil ceo, but, scoreboard.

I'm sure he's on Tinder. You can probably talk to him directly rather than going through us.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

There's absolutely no proof of this at all. If anything, your logic would lead to Nissan getting the credit, since they're the ones actually selling the most popular (and cheaper) EV. You're going to claim the "coolness" factor is why everyone is getting into EVs, which is certainly the narrative Musk likes to propagate, but it isn't backed up by the on the ground reality.

If Brown signs into law AB 100, that'll be instantly more towards decarbonization than Musk ever will do.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

paradex posted:

I’ve lived in BC most of my life, for the last 40 years give it take, albeit in metro Vancouver. The last several years of wild fires have been unusual and progressively so. Last year and this August was flat out apocalyptic in terms of air quality and visibility. And I’m in a place relatively unaffected, friends and family in Prince George and the Okanagan were sending us pictures in the middle of the day that looked like they were in Mordor.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

There's absolutely no proof of this at all.
I mean, duh. most stuff in life will never get 'proven' cuz we can't time travel and do experiments. thats a pretty silly conversational standard.

quote:

If anything, your logic would lead to Nissan getting the credit, since they're the ones actually selling the most popular (and cheaper) EV.
totally agree the leaf is great and nissan is very ahead of the curve with it, i'm a ghosn fan, but it was basically icing on his career cake at the end, not the founding and driving mission of the company. nissan is never getting into grid storage.

quote:

You're going to claim the "coolness" factor is why everyone is getting into EVs, which is certainly the narrative Musk likes to propagate, but it isn't backed up by the on the ground reality.
I made no such stupid claim, so... ahh... gently caress you? I think its a boring normal story that companies that have done things one way are slower to adapt than companies that start out doing things the new way from scratch.

obviously I can't "prove" it, but I think we'd see more automakers pulling the "we're waiting for fuel cells" procastination card that toyota and honda are, for longer, if not for tesla (particularly the model S)

quote:

If Brown signs into law AB 100, that'll be instantly more towards decarbonization than Musk ever will do.
that would be great, it is absolutely necessary that lots of people "one up" musk from here

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
If we substituted fossil fuels with the best currently available non-fossil fuels technology then will it be compatible with maintaining, or even improving, current living standards? How feasible is it to decarbonize while also maintaining living standards in the first world and also providing improved living standards to the third world?

I'm currently under the impression that we can't decarbonize with current technology without a humanitarian collapse even greater than the fall of the Soviet Union in the first world, and utter ruination of the third world. But I can't remember exactly where I got that idea from, so I'm not sure if its really true and wondering what the real facts are. It'd be nice to be proved wrong.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
bioremediation you dumbasses. you absolute plebs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

this broken hill posted:

bioremediation you dumbasses. you absolute plebs

Sorry fuckwit, but it's not going to save us.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Hello Sailor posted:

Sorry fuckwit, but it's not going to save us.
LOOK up now, weak wretch, and see what thou art. what art thou, and what hast thou merited, thus to be called of our lord? what weary wretched heart, and sleeping in sloth, is that, the which is not wakened with the draught of this love and the voice of this calling! beware, thou wretch, in this while with thine enemy; and hold thee never the holier nor the better, for the worthiness of this calling and for the singular form of living that thou art in. but the more wretched and cursed, unless thou do that in thee is goodly, by grace and by counsel, to live after thy calling. and insomuch thou shouldest be more meek and loving to thy ghostly spouse, that he that is the almighty G-d, king of kings and lord of lords, would meek him so low unto thee, and amongst all the flock of his sheep so graciously would choose thee to be one of his specials, and sithen set thee in the place of pasture, where thou mayest be fed with the sweetness of his love, in earnest of thine heritage the kingdom of heaven

do on then, i pray thee, fast. look now forwards and let be backwards; and see what thee faileth, and not what thou hast, for that is the readiest getting and keeping of meekness. all thy life now behoveth altogether to stand in desire, if thou shalt profit in degree of perfection. this desire behoveth altogether be wrought in thy will, by the hand of almighty G-d and thy consent. but one thing i tell thee. he is a jealous lover and suffereth no fellowship, and him list not work in thy will but if he be only with thee by himself. he asketh none help, but only thyself. he wills, thou do but look on him and let him alone. and keep thou the windows and the door, for flies and enemies assailing. and if thou be willing to do this, thee needeth but meekly press upon him with prayer, and soon will he help thee. press on then, let see how thou bearest thee. he is full ready, and doth but abideth thee. but what shalt thou do, and how shalt thou press?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
why does the UN want to steal all my electricity and give it to foreigners

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

who the gently caress is a musk fan

or a ghosn fan

or a tavares fan

or a hackett fan

When will y'all stop venerating captains of industry, you utter morons. Every single one of them deserves the rope.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I know bioremediation techniques and their limitations, jackass. It's part of what I had to learn to get my degree. It's not a magic bullet that can solve climate change. If you think otherwise, do something besides threadshit for once and explain how you think it works, so I can tell you why you're a moron (beyond the obvious).

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 2, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah climate change will cause social upheaval of some kind and if there's going to be one good outcome, I hope to see Musk, Bezos & co dangling in the wind

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Corsec posted:

I'm currently under the impression that we can't decarbonize with current technology without a humanitarian collapse even greater than the fall of the Soviet Union in the first world, and utter ruination of the third world. But I can't remember exactly where I got that idea from, so I'm not sure if its really true and wondering what the real facts are. It'd be nice to be proved wrong.

International transport and travel is I think one of the biggest things that there isn’t a decarbonizing alternative to. Things like food and electricity all have zero emission alternatives that would leave people with the same quality of life, but I don’t known of a carbon free way to travel to Europe or get goods from China, things like that.

Also, I know that this is the internet so we have to stick to certain talking points, but goddamn how can anybody not acknowledge that Elon Musk has done good work for the environment? That’s like saying Bill Belichick is a bad football coach because he is a boring interview. You can be a lovely person and still do great things.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

What has he done, besides making cars that eat up our limited lithium supplies?

As in, what has he done, and not one of his workers? Cause all I can find on google is things he wants to do, or things he has said could be neat.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corsec posted:

If we substituted fossil fuels with the best currently available non-fossil fuels technology then will it be compatible with maintaining, or even improving, current living standards? How feasible is it to decarbonize while also maintaining living standards in the first world and also providing improved living standards to the third world?

imho you're completely right, it is not feasible.

however, it is... gently caress I'm not sure what the word should be here. something between "functional" (in the math sense) and "fungible" (in the commodity sense).

for every metric ton your car *doesn't* emit driving in a year, an entire town in india can have ~1 more megawatt of coal fired electricity before we have to shut the plant down. if you're a suburban "2 car family" thats about one week of *just your driving* emissions.

in a perverse kind of way, its the most perfect "market" we've ever had. like when your mom used to tell you to finish your vegetables because starving people in africa it was bullshit because your food and their food didn't have a jet stream between them. with atmospheric carbon emissions its really true. its one great big pool we're peeing in.

people like to think of this as "X00ppm by 2100" or "Y0 cm sea level rise by 2050" or "Z% reduction by 2030" but those are all just points on the curve to give you frames of reference. every kilogram, every day, is your choice of which way *you* want to bend the curve.

edit: while i was googling for some numbers i came across this, its a really good visual for what the sliding scale of our "carbon budget" looks like:
https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/how-many-gigatons-of-co2/

edit2: combining a reply so i don't doublepost

THE BAR posted:

What has he done, besides making cars that eat up our limited lithium supplies?
lol, oh no our lithium!
this is 100% a giant red flag that someone is just a shitposting internet contrarian. the environmental wreckage of lithium mining compared to oil and gas production is so staggeringly night and day, that only someone without the slightest grounding in reality could harp on it. all mining is bad for the environment, but you are comparing a loving papercut to a 357 rammed down the back of your throat. its unhinged.

quote:

As in, what has he done, and not one of his workers? Cause all I can find on google is things he wants to do, or things he has said could be neat.
look i'm with you on the whole great man theory being bullshit and the labor theory of value having been unduly dismissed, but leadership still matters. yes the things you hear him say are some of the most pure-strain hype a pitchman can deliver, but like, do you literally have zero friends in sales? musk is really simple to understand, you just go "oh he's a sales guy" and assume at best half of its ever going to happen. the thing that really wierds me out is the people who get like super duper emotionally hung up on hating a ceo for having optimistic quarterly projections... like how/why could you possibly care? why are so many people, who aren't even shareholders, so personally emotionally enflamed by musk missing an X,000/week goal or something.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 2, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regarding Tesla autos and rooftop solar, there's certainly less effective ways of separating rich morons from their money while subsidizing green tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Anyone who praises Musk ITT has to explain what's been the positive effect of aggressively marketing inefficient EVs as novelty items for wealthy hipsters.