Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
mini jp. The spear fisher lady owns and I know why she’s on (she’s hot and does outdoors stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Yeah Instagram model who becomes spear fisher is at least kind of interesting. Being the daughter of Jordan Peterson is embarrassing.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t listened to mini jp but I’m morbidly curious about her all chicken diet

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
It’s an all beef diet she’s going to get colon cancer lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

barkbell posted:

It’s an all beef diet she’s going to get colon cancer lol

yeah no doubt, she came off almost as bad as joe did

Sucks she has so many issues but an all red meat diet will not be good for you in the long run

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the atlantic had a pretty good article about her dumb diet.

quote:

“A terribly, terribly bad idea.”

Gilbert has done extensive research on how the trillions of microbes in our guts digest food, and the look on his face when I told him about the all-beef diet was unamused. He began rattling off the expected ramifications: “Your body would start to have severe dysregulation, within six months, of the majority of the processes that deal with metabolism; you would have no short-chain fatty acids in your cells; most of the by-products of gastrointestinal polysaccharide fermentation would shut down, so you wouldn’t be able to regulate your hormone levels; you’d enter into cardiac issues due to alterations in cell receptors; your microbiota would just be devastated.”

While much of the internet has been following this story in a somewhat snide way, Gilbert appeared genuinely concerned and saddened: “If she does not die of colon cancer or some other severe cardiometabolic disease, the life—I can’t imagine.”

Peterson told me it took several weeks for her to get used to the beef-only approach, and that the relief of her medical symptoms overpowers any sense of missing food. If even a tiny amount of anything else finds its way into her mouth, she will be ill, she says. This happened when she tried to eat an organic olive, and again recently when she was at a restaurant that put pepper on her steak.

“I was like, whatever, it’s just pepper,” she told me. Then she had a reaction that lasted three weeks and included joint pain, acne, and anxiety.

Apart from having to exist in a world where the possibility of pepper exposure looms, the only other social downside she notices is that she hates asking people to accommodate her diet. So she will usually eat before she goes to a dinner party, she told me, “but then I’ll go drink and enjoy the party.”

“Drink, as in, water?”

“I can also, strangely enough, tolerate vodka and bourbon.”

The idea that alcohol, one of the most well-documented toxic substances, is among the few things that Peterson’s body will tolerate may be illuminating. It implies that when it comes to dieting, the inherent properties of the substances ingested can be less important than the eater’s conceptualizations of them—as either tolerable or intolerable, good or bad. What’s actually therapeutic may be the act of elimination itself.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/08/the-peterson-family-meat-cleanse/567613/

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
Maybe I will give the spear Fisher another shot. I had to turn it off when Joe started asking what lion fish tasted like.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study

poo poo's been known for a while, more than 10% of your monthly protein from animal sources and you're chances of almost every cancer jumps by like 90%. The books based on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Cornell%E2%80%93Oxford_Project

anyway, can't recommend the book enough. stop eating so much meat, it's going to loving kill you and burn up the planet

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

poo poo's been known for a while, more than 10% of your monthly protein from animal sources and you're chances of almost every cancer jumps by like 90%. The books based on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Cornell%E2%80%93Oxford_Project

anyway, can't recommend the book enough. stop eating so much meat, it's going to loving kill you and burn up the planet

We should all def stop thoughtlessly eating so much meat, but there’s still tons of research that doesn’t support “>10% of your monthly protein coming from animal source increases your chance of cancer by like 90%”. I know joe says it a lot, but sugar and processed everything are the current frontrunners for what’s killing us the fastest.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I hate this diet poo poo so much, it’s the worst thing to study in terms of actual science because every study contradicts another and there are so many review articles that they have to publish it’s retarded.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Morphix posted:

serious question: how would you get 90% of your monthly protein from non-animal sources without massively lowering the amount of protein you eat? a single serving of chicken breast can have like 30-40g of protein in it, you'd be hard pressed to get close to that amount in a single salad.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm almost positive the china study is bullshit but I don't care enough to do the research as to why.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

piratepilates posted:

serious question: how would you get 90% of your monthly protein from non-animal sources without massively lowering the amount of protein you eat? a single serving of chicken breast can have like 30-40g of protein in it, you'd be hard pressed to get close to that amount in a single salad.

rice? I mean look at Asian countries diets before Western diets are introduced. The rates of cancer are non-existent. If you want to bulk and be ripped, you eat protein from vegetable sources. The research says you can basically treat vegetable protein like it's weed, you can't have too much of it, your body won't od. But with meat protein, it just absorbs too quickly and your cells have a higher chance of mutating because of this quick uptake. The book actually talks about this quite a bit, if you want the fastest fastest absorbing protein, you'd want human protein. Of course there is a lot of research that's shown what cannibalism does to a species.

But yes, in general people would not be as big/fat/whatever, because meat protein, the reason is it's so bad, is because your body absorbs it so quickly, which causes the higher chance of pre-cancerous cells developing.

Seltzer posted:

I'm almost positive the china study is bullshit but I don't care enough to do the research as to why.

It's not. The dudes credentials are loving top notch. The only 'critique' ive ever read was some rear end in a top hat misrepresenting the doctors analysis because he admits in the first chapter that he believes western medicines approach to isolating single issues, or at least weighing it much heavier than large holisitc studies that are macro in nature is foolish and doesn't really help when dealing with giving out large dietary advice. You need the advice that works for the largest group of people if health is your number one goal.

but like the dude isn't some alt-med quack. Basically this book was largely ignored, because it's conclusions are pretty easy to digest. He has more data to back it up than any other epidemiological study to have ever been conducted. So if you want to base your info on data, this dude china study is the source. As he ran it back in the 80s.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 1, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Morphix posted:

rice? I mean look at Asian countries diets before Western diets are introduced. The rates of cancer are non-existent. If you want to bulk and be ripped, you eat protein from vegetable sources. The research says you can basically treat vegetable protein like it's weed, you can't have too much of it, your body won't od. But with meat protein, it just absorbs too quickly and your cells have a higher chance of mutating because of this quick uptake. The book actually talks about this quite a bit, if you want the fastest fastest absorbing protein, you'd want human protein. Of course there is a lot of research that's shown what cannibalism does to a species.

But yes, in general people would not be as big/fat/whatever, because meat protein, the reason is it's so bad, is because your body absorbs it so quickly, which causes the higher chance of pre-cancerous cells developing.

It's not. The dudes credentials are loving top notch. The only 'critique' ive ever read was some rear end in a top hat misrepresenting the doctors analysis because he admits in the first chapter that he believes western medicines approach to isolating single issues, or at least weighing it much heavier than large holisitc studies that are macro in nature is foolish and doesn't really help when dealing with giving out large dietary advice. You need the advice that works for the largest group of people if health is your number one goal.

but like the dude isn't some alt-med quack. Basically this book was largely ignored, because it's conclusions are pretty easy to digest. He has more data to back it up than any other epidemiological study to have ever been conducted. So if you want to base your info on data, this dude china study is the source. As he ran it back in the 80s.

just a quick google search on criticisms https://deniseminger.com/2010/08/06/final-china-study-response-html/

"Conclusion
If both whole-food vegan diets and non-Westernized omnivorous diets yield similar health benefits, this is a strong indication that the results achieved by McDougall, Esselstyn, Ornish, et al are not due to the avoidance of animal products but to the elimination of other health-harming items. Western diets involve far more than increased consumption of animal products, and for some groups—such as Alaskan Natives—a switch from a traditional diet to a Westernized one entails reduced animal food consumption, with the caloric void replaced by refined carbohydrates, hydrogenated oils, grains, sugar, and convenience foods. The fact that a dietary shift towards Western fare inevitably leads to proliferation of “diseases of affluence”—regardless of changes in animal food consumption—suggests that another factor, or lattice of factors, instigates this decline in health.

The success of the Chinese on plant-based diets does not invalidate the experiences of other populations who evade disease while consuming animal products. Nor does individual success on a vegan program nullify the disease reversal seen by those adhering to specific omnivorous diets. Rather than studying the dissimilarities between healthy populations, perhaps we should examine their areas of convergence—the shared lack of refined carbohydrates, the absence of refined sweeteners and hydrogenated oils, the emphasis on whole, unprocessed foods close to their natural state, and the consumption of nutritionally dense fare rather than empty calories or ingredients concocted in a lab setting. Modern foods, and the diseases they herald, have usurped the dietary seats once occupied by more wholesome fare. It is this commonality—the thread bonding healthy populations—that may offer the most meaningful insight into human health.

A theory as purportedly universal as Campbell’s should, by definition, unite the various health and disease patterns of global cultures without generating frequent anomalies. By naming animal products as the source of Western afflictions, Campbell has created a hypothesis valid only under hand-picked circumstances—one that cannot account for other epidemiological trends or even recent case-controlled studies. This is a symptom of a deficient theory, embodying only partial truths about broader diet-disease mechanisms.

I propose that the China Study remains a largely untapped resource for revealing potential diet-health patterns, expanded awareness of the source of disease, and inlets for future nutritional research—possibilities Campbell has not fully explored in his quest to validate a predetermined hypothesis. I invite Campbell, if he has the time and the interest, to present a more detailed account of his methodology, such as the unpublished book chapter he cited in his first response to my critique.[129] It is only through ongoing discussion and clarification that the field of nutrition can continue to evolve, progressing towards an increasingly unified understanding of health.

Lastly, I suggest that the “symphony” Campbell has heard thus far is only a partial opus. To cease listening now would be—at best—a missed opportunity for heightened health awareness, and at worst a perpetuation of the misinformation already degrading public and scientific understanding of diet and disease. I thank Dr. Campbell for both the harmonies and the dissonance his work has supplied to the field of nutrition, but implore him to continue listening. The final note has not yet sounded."

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

barkbell posted:

"Conclusion
If both whole-food vegan diets and non-Westernized omnivorous diets yield similar health benefits

and by "non-westernized 'omnivorous' diets" he means a diet with something like 30-60% less animal protein intake (can't remember the exact number, but he covers this in the book). As in Asian people didn't loving consume a lot of meat in their diets until Westerners show up, so while yes they are omnivores in the technical sense on a macro scale, to say it leans towards a heavy meat diet is loving disingenuous at best.

he's essentially repeating what the data says, which is vegan and less than 10% of animal protein intake have similar health effects within like a few points, it's only after you go past 10% do your disease rates start sky rocketing. And this is across the board, from heart to degenerative brain diseases, to cancer.

I'm pretty sure this is the review last time I talked about this book online with someone. look, it's an easy as gently caress book to read, if you care at all about your health, read it, literally no other health book has more data points than this loving thing.

And honestly the guy's story is kind of fascinating. The book is a great synthesis of his entire life's work of research.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Say gently caress one more time and we'll believe you

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Morphix posted:

vegans are adorable

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Seltzer posted:

hell ya bro, being snarky is the epitome of comedy

Megazver posted:

vegans are adorable

I mean I'm not a vegan but thanks man, ladies and the fellas have remarked on the same thing. i wouldn't attribute it all to not eating meat on the reg, but for sure its easy to keep weight off and still be a lazy gently caress.

There more you know you fat miserable gently caress.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Diamond Dallas Page is supposed to be on next week. That should be fun as long as he doesn’t go into full “DDP Yoga shill mode”.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
We have gone down the rabbit hole.

https://youtu.be/-xY_D8SMNtE

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xY_D8SMNtE

e: oops didn't see

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 2, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Grant DaNasty posted:

Diamond Dallas Page is supposed to be on next week. That should be fun as long as he doesn’t go into full “DDP Yoga shill mode”.

He probably will, but I guess there are worse things to shill for.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This is amazing

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Let me link this ONE WEIRD STUDY that shows how you have to eat to BEAT CANCER. Doctors hate it!

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Lambert posted:

Let me link this ONE WEIRD STUDY that shows how you have to eat to BEAT CANCER. Doctors hate it!

The books author led this famous ONE WEIRD STUDY https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Cornell%E2%80%93Oxford_Project

quote:

The first two major studies were led by T. Colin Campbell, professor of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell, who summarized the results in his book, The China Study (2004). Other lead researchers were Chen Junshi, Deputy Director of Institute of Nutrition and Food Hygiene at the Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine in Beijing, Richard Peto of the University of Oxford, and Li Junyao of the China Cancer Institute

Which turns out is the largest study of it's size ever done.

quote:

In May 1990, The New York Times termed the study "the Grand Prix of epidemiology"

it's cool to use science to learn things, unless the thing we learn contradicts my diet and stupid taste preferences. than all bets are off, gently caress you single largest source of environmental pollution and one of the leading cause of global warming, I'm gonna be a selfish piece of poo poo with my unsustainable eating habits because ~I do what I want~. I've literally built my entire loving persona on the food I eat, it's all I loving haaaaaaaave maaaan, le bacon epic win SIR, LE BACON EPIC WIN!

edit- just as a sidenote, whether you read the book or not, it's your health, do what you want. But really examine your own defensiveness about food, I'm not trying to diminish the more esoteric points of food consumption, and that it may be more than just the meal, it's the experience, and all that is great. I'm talking about strictly from a utalitarian stand point, you want an easy way to lose and maintain weight loss? Cut down meat. You want to save a few bucks on eating out? Cut down on meat. You want to lower your risk for every western disease on the books, eat less meat. There isn't a cardiologist in the world who will tell you to eat more meat after a surgery, why do you think they don't say the same thing about beans and lentils. It's not the protein load, it's the loving source.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 2, 2018

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morphix posted:

The books author led this famous ONE WEIRD STUDY https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Cornell%E2%80%93Oxford_Project

it's cool to use science to learn things, unless the thing we learn contradicts my diet and stupid taste preferences. than all bets are off, gently caress you single largest source of environmental pollution and one of the leading cause of global warming, I'm gonna be a selfish piece of poo poo with my unsustainable eating habits because ~I do what I want~. I've literally built my entire loving persona on the food I eat, it's all I loving haaaaaaaave maaaan, le bacon epic win SIR, LE BACON EPIC WIN!

edit- just as a sidenote, whether you read the book or not, it's your health, do what you want. But really examine your own defensiveness about food, I'm not trying to diminish the more esoteric points of food consumption, and that it may be more than just the meal, it's the experience, and all that is great. I'm talking about strictly from a utalitarian stand point, you want an easy way to lose and maintain weight loss? Cut down meat. You want to save a few bucks on eating out? Cut down on meat. You want to lower your risk for every western disease on the books, eat less meat. There isn't a cardiologist in the world who will tell you to eat more meat after a surgery, why do you think they don't say the same thing about beans and lentils. It's not the protein load, it's the loving source.

nice meltdown

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

bango skank posted:

nice meltdown

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Small cherubic pot bellied demons, beating cancer.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Morphix posted:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Apparently Joe is going to have Bernie Sanders on the podcast.

Do you think he will try to get Bernie to smoke DMT

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Malaria posted:

Apparently Joe is going to have Bernie Sanders on the podcast.

legit excited about this tbh

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Megazver posted:

legit excited about this tbh

same

I wonder if we will get the Joe that agrees with everything the person says or confrontational Joe.

I imagine he will be polite and just go with it.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

no you're right, I only ever hear vegans talking about their diets and how epic everything is

I've never heard of a single epic Meat Eater (TM) proclaim loudly how he's the alpha male because meat is his choice of diet and all other diets are bullshit and wrong and how his diet is the best and doctors are the real liars with their anti-gains agenda.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Malaria posted:

same

I wonder if we will get the Joe that agrees with everything the person says or confrontational Joe.

I imagine he will be polite and just go with it.

I can't imagine someone being a dick face-to-face with Bernie.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Morphix posted:

I've never heard of a single epic Meat Eater (TM) proclaim loudly how he's the alpha male because meat is his choice of diet and all other diets are bullshit and wrong and how his diet is the best and doctors are the real liars with their anti-gains agenda.

Somebody has never heard of Jordan Peterson

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Morphix posted:

no you're right, I only ever hear vegans talking about their diets and how epic everything is

Dude we had Kermit Petersen’s daughter on just 4 days ago

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

1st AD posted:

Dude we had Kermit Petersen’s daughter on just 4 days ago

Malaria posted:

Somebody has never heard of Jordan Peterson

do I need to put a /s so you dorks know I'm being facetious? I mean I literally posted a stupid meat meme that took an entire generation of young men and made them loving insufferable for like 5 years.

My point is anyone who says 'vegans always pushing their agenda' in response to one person posting one stupid link when we just had a dumb teenager tell us why meat eating is the best on the most popular podcast in the world is a loving idiot.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the all meat or even the keto evangelists are dumb but it seems pretty dumb to say only get like 10 percent of your calories from meat. i don't know how i'd get enough protein to put on muscle if i didn't eat lots of chicken breasts.