Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The music for when they escape the dragon is dope as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aet6PfxDG7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

there were definitely lots of pop culture jokes though. a Small World parody, a profession wrestling scene, a dating game reference (complete with The Pina Colada Song), and that's just the first half-hour or so

There's the Matrix bit in the Robin Hood scene.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Remember when every movie had those? Including the Cats and Dogs movie?

Better question: Remember Cats and Dogs?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It had Jeff Goldblum as a...I'm not sure how to describe his character. A bad dad?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Aces High posted:

It had Jeff Goldblum as a...I'm not sure how to describe his character. A bad dad?

Was he as bad a dad as the one in Chicken Little?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleCakes posted:

I do, because I went to see it in the cinema with (for some reason) my mother and my grandmother, both of whom spent the rest of our weekend trip to London complaining about how bad it was.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember seeing parts of it when we had a sub and getting annoyed at yet another cats are universally evil movie

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They kind of are though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cats & Dogs got a sequel but it came out roughly 10 years after the first one and it wasn't exactly a well-regarded movie in the first place, so I imagine it must have been one of those cases where the studio realised they had a gap in their release schedule and dusted off something old to fill it with.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and the chance to use Pussy in a kid's movie title.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Robindaybird posted:

I remember seeing parts of it when we had a sub and getting annoyed at yet another cats are universally evil movie

at least the sequel doesn't do that

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The first time I saw Cats & Dogs I thought it was terrible, but on repeat viewings (kids like it) I've come to enjoy how hammy it is, and can appreciate it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

Remember when every movie had those? Including the Cats and Dogs movie?

I do because my mother desparately wanted to see it and laughed uproariously the enyire time. Her thundrous guffaws to a montage of the villain cat being dressed up like a person over the end credits is more vivid to me than my first romantic relationship in its entirety

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
same but Grizzly Man

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just rewatched Monsters University; a couple of weeks ago I rewatched Monsters Inc.

Hot take: Monsters University is significantly better than Monsters Inc. People think differently for a variety of reasons which are understandable but not really valid assessments of MU's quality: nostalgia goggles, Pixar having had lower expectations to meet in 2001, and of course the fact that Monsters University leans on Monsters Inc to establish its world. The general sentiment that Pixar sequels are unusually bad is just an illusion stemming from the fact that two of them are Cars sequels. Incredibles 2 isn't as good as The Incredibles, but it's a much closer match-up than most people seem to think. I honestly kind of loathe Finding Nemo, but I've always kind of wanted to rewatch Finding Dory. I still fully expect Toy Story 4 to suck and be a regrettable mistake, though, for obvious reasons.

I also recently rewatched Ratatouille, and drat that's a good movie. That's the other side of the coin - I am glad that Pixar seems to be moving away from sequels, because their standalone movies are usually really good (see: WALL-E, Up, Inside Out, Coco). I just think that a lot of the criticisms people make of their sequels are frivolous and don't really attempt to seriously grapple with the movies in question.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finding Dory is an extended, film-length chase scene and as such has almost no meat on its bones. Incredibles 2 is half of a good movie and that half has nothing to do with the superheroes. Toy Story 2 is a dull film that people feel is saved by whats basically a music video slammed into the middle of the film and Toy Story 3 is such a nothing of a film I lusted for toy death that i was denied. Monsters University was better than Monsters Inc but thats not strong praise of either product.

What Im saying is Cars 2 is a terrible sequel to a baffling movie and a yet somehow still a complete departure from the previous film not seen outside of Direct to Video category.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wait a minute, it has been a few years since I last saw Toy Story 2. What music video?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Aces High posted:

Wait a minute, it has been a few years since I last saw Toy Story 2. What music video?

I think he's talking about the song Jessie sings

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno, I still like Toy Story 3 for taking the existential themes of the first two movies to their logical conclusion by having the movie be basically an allegorical tour of various possibilities for the toy afterlife.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How far is Shrek responsible for the trend in putting big name actors in voice roles in animated films (and usually billing them above the title) rather than professional voice actors? I know Disney and Pixar had done a bit of it before that but I don't feel like "FEATURING AN ALL-STAR CAST!" was as big a thing before Shrek.

It's just, with something like Toy Story, I think it was always "Woody and Buzz" rather than "Tom Hanks and Tim Allen as Woody and Buzz" for most people, if that makes sense.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wheat Loaf posted:

How far is Shrek responsible for the trend in putting big name actors in voice roles in animated films (and usually billing them above the title) rather than professional voice actors? I know Disney and Pixar had done a bit of it before that but I don't feel like "FEATURING AN ALL-STAR CAST!" was as big a thing before Shrek.

It's just, with something like Toy Story, I think it was always "Woody and Buzz" rather than "Tom Hanks and Tim Allen as Woody and Buzz" for most people, if that makes sense.

Pixar always hits the nail on the head with their voice casting. Like who was clamoring for Craig T Nelson and John Ratzenberger? But you cannot imagine their characters with any other voices

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Uh I hate to break it to you but that goes back to Walt-Disney-himself times.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the only thing thats changed regarding voice talent is the quality of recording. Walt loved him some celebrity voices.

Aces High posted:

As mentioned, Jessies Song. Toy Story 2 just completely shuts down for the entire length of the song to show you the story that Jessie is singing you in a film that has never before nor ever again do this and it just bombs the films pacing from orbit. For a lot of people it was Pixars most emotional moment until we got Ups opening.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

Uh I hate to break it to you but that goes back to Walt-Disney-himself times.

Yeah I mean, Pixar was doing that even with Toy Story before Shrek came along.

It's just the difference is, for the most part it feels like Pixar tries to get an actor who is the right voice for the role, where as Dreamworks a lot of the time picks an actor because it's a big name actor.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Really? Because I can't think of a single case where I think Dreamworks chose someone who was a bad fit for the voice role. I can't imagine Trolls without Timberlake and Kendrick.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

21 Muns posted:

The general sentiment that Pixar sequels are unusually bad is just an illusion stemming from the fact that two of them are Cars sequels.
I dunno, even then I found Cars 3 to be pretty good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tim Allen is great for Buzz because Tim Allen is a coke addled snitch turned government bootlicker. Tom Hanks I never really liked as Woody, he sounds too “chummy” to me and while I love the scene his voice acting isnt up to snuff for the “toys come alive and freak out sid” scene.

Imagine Keith David doing that. Now thats a scene

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cartoon Buzz Lightyear is Brock Samson.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, even then I found Cars 3 to be pretty good.

Cars 3 is obviously better than Cars 2, and probably better than Cars, but I can't help but think that Cars actually had the potential to be a good movie, and Cars 3 is not as good as the hypothetical good movie that Cars should have been. Honestly, the main reason that Cars is painful for me isn't that it's bad, it's that they wasted an opportunity to make it good.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, Incredibles 2 just passed Minions to become the second-highest-grossing animated film of all time, after Frozen. (Although this is all unadjusted for inflation, and therefore bullshit.) I really hope it'll pass Frozen, although I don't consider that very likely.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's $1.16 billion, btw

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The earliest example of a celebrity voice actor I can think of is Cliff Edwards as Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio. The earliest example where a character's look was drawn specifically to resemble its celebrity voice actor is probably Ed Wynn as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

I don't know when an entire all-star cast became an explicit selling point though. The Lion King maybe?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And before then, a shitload of early cartoon shorts had characters be basically caricatures of then-famous celebrities. (some of the celebrities approved)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I’m not going to check but the difference now seems to be pretty much all the major characters are celebrities, presumably so they can push the movie on Instagram or whatever. Like Robin Williams was the genie but who the gently caress voiced Aladdin?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hadi ibn Hadi, a notorious sorcerer who rules the underworld of Baghdad.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Really? Because I can't think of a single case where I think Dreamworks chose someone who was a bad fit for the voice role. I can't imagine Trolls without Timberlake and Kendrick.

Garry Shandling as the turtle in Over the Hedge was terrible. Whenever he was in an over-the-top slapstick scene he just goes "aaaaaaaaaaaah, woah, aaaaaah :geno:" the entire time. In regular scenes he was fine but that film is really action heavy, and many of those scenes involve him. I'm normally okay with celebrity voice actors but he's the one exception I can think of.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Batman and Robin would be a live-action example of casting celebrities over the right talent with Schwarzenegger as Fries. The later Batman movies would opt for casting actors who can sustain a movie while not being tabloid-fodder like Bale, Oldman, Ledger, Hardy. We got some good ice puns out of Arnie-Fries but we missed the man who could summon emotion despite his clinical monotone:

"I failed you. I wish there were another way for me to say it. I cannot. I can only beg for your forgiveness, and pray you can hear me somehow, someplace... someplace where a warm hand waits for mine"

Beauty and the Beast '17 has a million things wrong with it, but it's real fault was casting Emma Watson as the lead instead of an unknown actress who could actually sing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

porfiria posted:

Like Robin Williams was the genie but who the gently caress voiced Aladdin?

He was on this small show called Full House, although admittedly it's a stretch to call him a big celebrity. Aladdin also had Gilbert Gottfried, who wasn't Robin Williams big, but was pretty well known.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Beauty and the Beast '17 has a million things wrong with it, but it's real fault was casting Emma Watson as the lead instead of an unknown actress who could actually sing.

I started the film agreeing with this but everything is so structuraly and thematically hosed in that film down to screwing up the entire premise of the beasts curse that her casting is like, 5th place or lower

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Barudak posted:

Tim Allen is a coke addled snitch turned government bootlicker.

Wait what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what now?

Oh boy are you in for a treat.

Every sitcom star you loved as a kid is a piece of poo poo, especially Tim Allen.