Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm two patches behind and getting caught up and I live in fear of this Red Chocobo thing I keep hearing about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
they nerfed it recently

you can also get a friend, but if you just run around in circles you'll be fine

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

It is also much more manageable if it's just you, where there will be only 2 reds, and not 30 other people also doing the fight, resulting in red chocobo army cover the entirety of Yanxia with meteors.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thundarr posted:

Also note that it *is not* the "stack here" marker.

Philonius posted:

Tataru is comically inept at anything combat related. Note how she keeps running toward you whenever she gets an AOE marker :shobon:

It's because she doesn't have the echo. :eng101:

I love that they explain that we can see the "stack here" markers and orange circles on the ground because we have the echo. And that's why everyone else gets hosed when fighting massive threats.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It took over 80 people in The Company of Heroes dying to Landslide before the surviving five were able to recognize the tell.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm two patches behind and getting caught up and I live in fear of this Red Chocobo thing I keep hearing about

The main thing that had it so bad was that you had everyone unlocking the Raid at once. So dodging a meteor from one or two is easy.

Dodging a meteor from 30+? When all of them inflict vulnerability up? :shepicide:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are some job quests where NPCs without the echo do mechanics correctly but those are competent fighters and Tataru... is not.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mordiceius posted:

It's because she doesn't have the echo. :eng101:

I love that they explain that we can see the "stack here" markers and orange circles on the ground because we have the echo. And that's why everyone else gets hosed when fighting massive threats.

That is literally not ever mentioned anywhere and is entirely a silly fan theory that's not got a lot of evidence since every SB instance NPC can see and react to aoe markers including Tataru. She just gets scared and wants to hide behind her mostly invincible slayer of gods.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Karasu Tengu posted:

That is literally not ever mentioned anywhere and is entirely a silly fan theory that's not got a lot of evidence since every SB instance NPC can see and react to aoe markers including Tataru. She just gets scared and wants to hide behind her mostly invincible slayer of gods.

It's the ability to predict attacks, same as Fordola has. The echo showing you markers was from a lore panel or some nonsense from way back in ARR days and I am definitely too lazy to look it up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

There are some job quests where NPCs without the echo do mechanics correctly but those are competent fighters and Tataru... is not.

Yeah, the Ananta Solo Duty comes to mind. Everyone spreads out their Exdeath Flare markers.

I think the Kojin Solo Duty had a stack marker the NPC knew about as well.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

they just know the mechanics already from experience

markers are because of the echo and i will die on this ludonarratively harmonious hill

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
This game is really cool and fun and good and I'm currently only attempting to solve the mystery of the missing people which I have heard is still in the garbage dumb baby portion of the game. Can somebody tell me what kinds of cool and fun poo poo I have to look forward to? I am currently maining arcanist but I've been messing around with every class a little.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mystery of the missing people? You mean the post-Titan part of the story?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Just wanted to say, gently caress pagos.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've only seen Louhi once since I hit cap. :negative:

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mystery of the missing people? You mean the post-Titan part of the story?

The main story quest before fighting ifrit. Where the refugees are getting kidnapped by the merchant.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ohh, that part. Things get a bit interesting when you fight Ifrit, but the game really picks up at the next major boss fight.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Protip: maining a tank/healer class will let you into dungeons far quicker than being in a DPS class.

I got invested in the game after Ifrit, after they drop the bomb that there is no cure for tempering... (or is there??)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There is. It is death.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The last Stormblood trial must have been soul-crushing in 290 class gear on release. It’s quite overwhelming at first. I blame the camera being a bit lovely.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I did it during the pre-release weekend and it was easier than it is now, because it was the serious try-hards that were going to get through it no matter what. Not necessarily the best people (because I was there), but the ones that would keep trying until something worked.

And around Ifrit is when the story starts getting good because of the tempering. There are two places where the main story drags (the lead-up to the next trial, and the 2.1-2.3ish quests). If you like plot, also start talking to the npcs standing around in the secret clubhouse, since there are side-stories you won't get otherwise (like why Hoary Boulder is the best scion).

Low levels are also called the dumb baby part of the game because jobs are missing large portions of their rotations. Like getting synched down to a 20 acn is torture after experiencing to joys of Deathflare and Bahamut. Eventually the aetherflow (that I think you have but seems pretty pointless at 20) unlocks a special flashy rotation at 60, and doing that rotation locks an even flashier one at 70. Or, you go the scholar route and get a fairy to do healing for you, although she's less flashy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

brainwrinkle posted:

The last Stormblood trial must have been soul-crushing in 290 class gear on release. It’s quite overwhelming at first. I blame the camera being a bit lovely.

I was playing on release and wipes were usually a matter of people panicking during the swoop attack in phase 3. Realistically, you can just stand in the middle and be totally fine (even if you end up making your healers work a little harder after), but everyone would go crazy and try to run off to the sides and then get punted to their doom.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Release week of 4.0's last story trial was great because you just knew that you would see seven people die 30 seconds into the first pull. Then enough would figure that part out to progress further into the fight and it was just a matter of whether enough people would panic and die to force a wipe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
just finished the 50 DRK quest

:hmmyes:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Phone posted:

just finished the 50 DRK quest

:hmmyes:

This fits pretty well.

Now read your journal entries.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Release week of 4.0's last story trial was great because you just knew that you would see seven people die 30 seconds into the first pull. Then enough would figure that part out to progress further into the fight and it was just a matter of whether enough people would panic and die to force a wipe.

My very first kill featured me healer LB3ing 6/8ths of the raid when the boss was at something like 6%, perfectly timing it for when everyone got comically blown off. I think that's the most commendations I've ever gotten.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Thundarr posted:

This was exactly my experience a couple of weeks before 4.4 too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thundarr posted:

This fits pretty well.

Now read your journal entries.

i have been

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Charlie Bobson posted:

Can somebody tell me what kinds of cool and fun poo poo I have to look forward to?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Accurate.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

namazu quests are the best content in Stormblood

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Charlie Bobson posted:

Can somebody tell me what kinds of cool and fun poo poo I have to look forward to?

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Charlie Bobson posted:

I haven't had any good late night rp posts since transferring to Kujata

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

and the immortal

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 3, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Christ, you lot, are you *trying* to scare the sprout off?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Christ, you lot, are you *trying* to scare the sprout off?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
In conclusion Squeenix should sell that book of Sketches of Divinity.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are we posting creepy tells? Hey remember this one?

Guess who saw me a few weeks ago?

I would like to note these tells happened nearly a year and a half apart. I thought their name looked familiar, then the "strip your character down" request happened.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Was the player a Lalafell? :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Never forgetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007