Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Big reveals on weds, goddamn I want to know now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Black_Nexus posted:

Big reveals on weds, goddamn I want to know now

They already put up a thing for Beastmen, so Shadespire and Moonclan, maybe?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Quick question, the Nighthaunt eternal spells say they can be cast by Nagash or a Nighthaunt wizard. Does that include Nighthaunt wizards taken as part of a Legions of Nagash army or is the faction keyword applied after the armies allegiance has been declared?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Quick question, the Nighthaunt eternal spells say they can be cast by Nagash or a Nighthaunt wizard. Does that include Nighthaunt wizards taken as part of a Legions of Nagash army or is the faction keyword applied after the armies allegiance has been declared?

Given that it only says Nighthaunt wizards. I don't think there are any issues with taking a one in a Legions army and summoning a Nighthaunt spell. Nagash can do it too and the Legion Keyword does not replace the Nighthaunt Keyword.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Going by the rules as written, it just keys off of the unit's keywords rather than faction allegiance, so a Nighthaunt Wizard model in a Legions army should still be able to take them. (Unlike the Lore of the Underworlds, which absolutely requires your army to take the Nighthaunt faction.) This hasn't been addressed in the FAQs to my knowledge.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

X-posting from the Oath thread;

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Complete!

And here's the Knight-Incantor in all his 70's-van-mural glory;

Chrome effect worked well, not so happy with the purple OSL, but think I got the starfield right, although the colours are a bit muted on camera (blue, purple and green washes in patches over the stars).

If I'm going to have to paint stormcast, they're going to be neither a) gold, nor b) grimdark in the slightest.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LazyAngel posted:

X-posting from the Oath thread;

If I'm going to have to paint stormcast, they're going to be neither a) gold, nor b) grimdark in the slightest.

I like how they made the turquoise guys the most brutal inquisitors.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

twistedmentat posted:

I like how they made the turquoise guys the most brutal inquisitors.

The Knights Excelsior are white armor colour, and they are kind of like the Grey Knights in 40k, you must purge everything or else Chaos can survive

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Black_Nexus posted:

The Knights Excelsior are white armor colour, and they are kind of like the Grey Knights in 40k, you must purge everything or else Chaos can survive

I don't think the Grey Knights are like that. Are they.

Like the Knights Excelsior are all about stomping out even the chance of Chaos Corruption. Like if you traveled near an area with a chaos cultist, or your son is sick, then the KE will murder you.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, Grey Knights are just as brutal. They see usually seconded to an Inquisitor, so he'll issue the orders, but they are good little troopers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
At a bare minimum they psychically scrub your memory of them from your mind, or psychically interrogate and torture before before either mind-wiping or killing you, or they just outright spray you with explosive missile-bullets.

The Grey Knights are regarded as a myth or fantasy by a good part of the Imperium because they’re so good at cleaning up after themselves.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think the Grey Knights are like that. Are they.

Depends whose writing them, really. Although I think everyone now regrets the super-grimdark sacrifice-sisters-of-battle-and-use-their-blood-to-create-anti-chaos-wards era and it's generally been toned back a bit since then.

But back to AoS, yes, Knights Excelsior are the white-painted guys who will basically murder anyone they suspect even came into contact with Chaos. The turquoise guys are the Celestial Vindicators, who are basically the vengeance-driven crusaders who really hate Chaos, but more in a suicide-charge-into-the-advance-of-a-Bloodthirster-in-a-way-that-would-win-Skarbrand's-full-approval way than an inquisitorial purify-the-heretic approach.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I do like the idea of them being this men in black "No witnesses" type but a little more brutal (Mind wipe preferred, executing survivors if necessary) but the sisters thing was just trying a bit too hard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like if you traveled near an area with a chaos cultist.

This is not hyperbole by the way

One of the short stories has a merchant caravan heading towards a town. Only to come across a bunch of Knights Excelsior killing people, without a word they attack the caravan as well once they notice it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i'm the good guys in the setting that *checks notes* genocides everyone

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Business Gorillas posted:

i'm the good guys in the setting that *checks notes* genocides everyone

Appearntly the other Stormcasts (who tend to be more heroic.) think they are assholes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sigmar runs a slave army that consists of warriors who are constantly resurrected again and again against their will until they lose all of their humanity and (apparently) become hosed up lightning spirits that just rage out and try to kill people.

Lizardmen are the good guys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Sigmar runs a slave army that consists of warriors who are constantly resurrected again and again against their will until they lose all of their humanity and (apparently) become hosed up lightning spirits that just rage out and try to kill people.

Lizardmen are the good guys.

...isn't this basically the Newcrons?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly the other Stormcasts (who tend to be more heroic.) think they are assholes.

i'm the good guys in the setting that *checks notes* lets my buddies genocide everyone, but i think they're dicks

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Stormcast had nothing going on before, but now they're just Space Marine Litetm because they have no idea how to actually run things, and also because GW forgot how to write a setting that isn't oppressively grim. It's probably the most annoying part about 2.0's lore.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The whole point of Warhammer and 40K is that it is oppressively grim. Neither are nice places to live and life is a constant struggle just to survive. It's not that GW can't write shiny happy rainbow land, it's that they don't want to. Everything sucks, and there are no good guys (except maybe the lizards.)

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Except the fact that it was so grim was the joke. It wasn't meant to be serious. A giant dude with a giant gun that nevet reloads is a trope, not something to be taken serious.

That's like looking a judge dread in a serious light not as satire or as irony.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

The whole point of Warhammer and 40K is that it is oppressively grim. Neither are nice places to live and life is a constant struggle just to survive. It's not that GW can't write shiny happy rainbow land, it's that they don't want to. Everything sucks, and there are no good guys (except maybe the lizards.)

That's boring as gently caress, though.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
There are nice parts, but there are also massively interventionist Gods and Demi-Gods of all types who are either evil or complete screw ups. So they don’t tend to remain nice parts for long. There are seeds of hope in some of the big cities, but they’re often too far apart from one another and the miraculous nature of their construction means they’re struggling.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

That's boring as gently caress, though.

To you maybe

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

AnEdgelord posted:

To you maybe

username/avatar+post wombo combo

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

A big thing was for heroes of the imperium to fight on, striving against oncoming darkness from within and without. You know the human loving spirit the Emporer wanted to preserve. The joke being without gold dad everyone immediately fucks it up. Its all a big joke. One no one gets now notbeven GW.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I dunno, I still like the whole ‘Brief points of light in the dark before all is lost’ sort of hopeless valor of 40k, it really humanizes the setting despite everyone being mutants or aliens. But with AoS I think it’s more of a push the other way, with a long period of darkness but now civilization is on the upswing, the good guys are fighting back and there’s a chance for the light to come back. Real hopeful vibes.

If it is, they need to push the other way with themes. Don’t copy 40k or even old Fantasy with the heroic civilian-killing death squads and peasants constantly being tortured and murdered beyond believability. Have good guys that would actually be cheered on instead of fleeing in terror. If there’s gonna be big shiny goofy looking Sigmarines flying down to save the day then just make them goddamn Superman.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The problem there is that in both settings Chaos can and does have a potential for subtle (at first) and permanent corruptive change within a population. In a world where literally just seeing a daemon can put a dark mark on your soul and lead one down a winding path of madness and death, killing a lot of people can be considered (by some) a necessary evil.

It’s a slower version of The Thing. That one merchant you saved begins to think upon his experience with the supernatural and becomes curious. As he trades by profession he works his contacts and comes upon a few books regarding daemonology and magic. He and his friends delve into the material and find they like the power they’ve discovered. Soon they’re vending products that transform their users into mindless abominations so he can take over his town and spread their influence across the entire trade route for hundreds of miles in all directions which eventually leads to the intervention of higher powers and literally tens of thousands dead.

Nope, hammer to the skull. Only way to know for sure.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

It doesn't feel like they want to world build except to sell stuff, which is the point of theie buissness but thet need a world people can find interest in. They have disc worlds so its just what they want, when they want it, so theres very little too overall care about.

Old World blowing up mattered because there was no other place everyone could go minus the warp.

Disc world is who cares plenty of places to go doesn't matter, you can't get attached.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

For_Great_Justice posted:

It doesn't feel like they want to world build except to sell stuff, which is the point of theie buissness but thet need a world people can find interest in. They have disc worlds so its just what they want, when they want it, so theres very little too overall care about.

Old World blowing up mattered because there was no other place everyone could go minus the warp.

Disc world is who cares plenty of places to go doesn't matter, you can't get attached.

What's your ideal game dude?

You hate 40k for the rules, and aesthetic, you don't like AoS because of the world building. Do you like anything at all?

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

richyp posted:

You hate 40k for the rules, and aesthetic, you don't like AoS because of the world building. Do you like anything at all?

He really likes shitposting.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
He likes warmahordes? Apparently? I guess?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

richyp posted:

The aesthetic of 40k I like. Its people taking the lore seriously that find questionable.

AoS I like rule wise. The lore is silly I don't hate it just indifferent to it.

Warmachines an Hordes I do like for a rule set and flavor. Lore wise its no better or worse than anything else.

I play games to play a game not become one with the lore, thats for grogs am greybeards.

If the rules suck they suck, the 40k thread now is trying to think of ways that space marines, the flagship of 40k, could not suck in games. Really something.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I play games to play a game not become one with the lore, thats for grogs am greybeards.
Then why are you questioning the lore or "the irony" at all. If you really don't care what people think about it, or how GW writes it, just play the game and disregard all of the story and move on.

If people enjoy something that you don't, let them.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 4, 2018

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Seems like people care or why did anyone else bring up AoS lore before I even Did? If you don't like my opnion cool but I'll tell ya what my dude I'm not gonna beforced to justify how I feel or my opnion.

Edit: Also something to do inbetween poo poo at work.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

berzerkmonkey posted:

Then why are you questioning the lore or "the irony" at all. If you really don't care what people think about it, or how GW writes it, just play the game and disregard all of the story and move on.

If people enjoy something that you don't, let them.

I guess it's easier to hate things

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I never said they couldn't enjoy things if I don't. Ignore me if you want people can do whatever. Am I not allowed to speak on something unless I like 100% of it?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

The aesthetic of 40k I like. Its people taking the lore seriously that find questionable.

AoS I like rule wise. The lore is silly I don't hate it just indifferent to it.

Warmachines an Hordes I do like for a rule set and flavor. Lore wise its no better or worse than anything else.

If the rules suck they suck, the 40k thread now is trying to think of ways that space marines, the flagship of 40k, could not suck in games. Really something.

I think a lot of people dislike the lore of AoS, i mean it's not exactly Tolkien. But they usually enjoy another aspect of the hobby. I personally haven't played a game of 40k since 5th or a game of AoS ever, but I really like the aesthetic of both and love painting poo poo. But if I hated all of it (thinking more of your no positives about 40k comment) then I'd probably just pick a different game.

I don't give a rats rear end about Football, the colours of a particular team's kit or the history of a team, but I'm not going to go into the sports thread and moan about how they should change the sport to what I like. I could post about it before you say "Am I not allowed to speak about it?" but I'd look dumb doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I was liking 40k till things like super heavies and list soup started running amok. I did love running a Night Lord mainly infantry marine force but if I put that on the table it just gets shreked. I could pour dollars onto a competative list but it wouldn't be for enjoyment.

I like narrstive stuff just hard to come by. There are positives in 40k just more for others less for some sometimes edition to edition.