Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Stupid spoiler typo. Sorry everyone who hadn't gotten to that yet.

It was a twist at the end of the first issue, once the second one is out you're mostly in the clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It was a twist at the end of the first issue, once the second one is out you're mostly in the clear

Just covering myself, I only got to the book today. Some people might be waiting to read it all in one go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Just covering myself, I only got to the book today. Some people might be waiting to read it all in one go.

Nah, it's good to keep it in spoilers, there's a reason I didn't say what was in the spoiler. I was just saying don't beat yourself up over it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My opinion of Extinction will be solely on if it brings Scott back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll bring back Scott but kill Emma in the space Avengers thing she's in.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

They'll bring back Scott but kill Emma in the space Avengers thing she's in.

I'm willing to make that trade.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You ready for 2 years of "JEAN!"? Strap in.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I was born ready, muthafucka.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey look, I'd rather have Scott and Emma but the Scott part is the most important.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You ready for 2 years of "JEAN!"? Strap in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRwkcV1VL7k

Actually, I really hope if they bring old Scott back they wait awhile to hook him up with Jean again. I know they will eventually because comics, but let her date someone else for half a minute first. I don't particularly care who Storm, or Nightcrawler if he's not shacking up with his sister at the moment, but someone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus I think a whole bit in the resurrection story was Jean realizing she's passed Scott?

(Which makes little sense for her since she's spent all that time in between dead, but whatever.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol if you expect characterization to stick.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Plus I think a whole bit in the resurrection story was Jean realizing she's passed Scott?

(Which makes little sense for her since she's spent all that time in between dead, but whatever.)

I think it was in an annual she visited his grave and said she wished that he was with her.

My whole thing with Scott and Jean is this. If they decide to put them together, then great. Have them grow together, don't do any love triangles, and make them happy with each other. If they don't put them together, then have them as good friends on good terms who realize that their relationship just didn't work and there's no hard feelings, then give them whoever as love interests.

Just go with one or the other, skip the "will they/won't they" part, and don't recycle tired love triangles.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Comics in general could do to get away from love triangles. They are always terrible

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol if you expect characterization to stick.

Then if it ain't gonna stick, can we get (mostly) hero Emma back?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What’s more heroic than being an Avenger?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Comics in general could do to get away from love triangles. They are always terrible

All fiction could do to drop them. It's not a triangle you dolts, in the real world it's just cheating.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rhyno posted:

All fiction could do to drop them. It's not a triangle you dolts, in the real world it's just cheating.

The biggest problem with the concept is that it's usually just a V with a kinda lovely person in the middle.

If you have to have a love triangle, each side should behave the same. Just three people who each can't decide which of the other two they want to hook up with.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

I think Jean as a Phoenix host is semi-alive/conscious of what's going on around her in the White Hot Room. She definitely popped up from time to time even after her death in the context of the Phoenix.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know there are reading order to take a macro View and kind of just tell you what series to read, but is there any like really in-depth accurate reading orders for X-Men that tells you every series in the order of which they were released and when they cross over at what issue and what needs to be up to on all the series for that cross over to make sense?

I'm considering an actual real deal start from zero like Jay and Miles.

Perhaps things will finally make sense then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covok posted:

I know there are reading order to take a macro View and kind of just tell you what series to read, but is there any like really in-depth accurate reading orders for X-Men that tells you every series in the order of which they were released and when they cross over at what issue and what needs to be up to on all the series for that cross over to make sense?

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Covok posted:

It's not necessarily going to tell you about every guest appearance or whatever, but comics are generally pretty good about letting you know when a crossover or event or miniseries is happening (because they want you to buy those books, too!) If you decided to start reading Uncanny from issue 94 or whatever the editor's notes would keep you pretty clued in to when New Mutants starts/the Wolverine mini happens/etc.

Chronologial reading has never been my thing, but one piece of advice J&M dropped way back was looking at :filez: sites for stuff like X-Men chronologically and then USE THAT AS A READING LIST ONLY. But I suspect that that might be more in-universe chronologically that publishing order.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Even if that existed it still wouldn't make sense. The X-Men are basically Finnegan's Wake.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Even if that existed it still wouldn't make sense. The X-Men are basically Finnegan's Wake.

It exists and it doesn't. I did google "x-men chronological" for a lark and this site immediately made my eyes glaze over. I've read almost everything on this guide and it is still absolute gibberish.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Here's a solution: Make them poly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

It exists and it doesn't. I did google "x-men chronological" for a lark and this site immediately made my eyes glaze over. I've read almost everything on this guide and it is still absolute gibberish.

X-Men isn't Finnegan's Wake, it's Schrodinger's Cat.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If I was thinking of picking up an X-Men monthly again, which one would you recommend?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Robot Wendigo posted:

If I was thinking of picking up an X-Men monthly again, which one would you recommend?

weapon x

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robot Wendigo posted:

Red. And also X-23.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Extermination chat: I really, really wish they hadn't given Young Cable such an ugly neonazi haircut.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm not sure Extermination really "works" for me since every death/disappearance so far I've reacted with "good, gently caress 'em". Can't wait til the O5 are out of this universe; they've outstayed their welcome by years now. And (spoilers for Extermination, obviously:) Cable killing Cable is hilarious, because as far as I'm concerned, the more convoluted his history, the better. He's the time paradox that walks like a man.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

weapon x

Dawgstar posted:

Red. And also X-23.

Thanks! I'll pick one of each this weekend and see how I fare.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rochallor posted:

I don't know if anybody is actually still reading New Mutants-Dead Souls, but it wrapped up this week on a major cliffhanger. After being really iffy on the first couple of issues I ended up really enjoying it. The art is great--Illyana especially--and Rosenberg has a good handle on the voice of the characters.

It also approaches doing one of my fantasy pitches for X-Men--moving Karma into an antagonist role basically by her making hundreds of little compromising decisions as the head of an enormous company, and having all her friends thinking she's just possessed for the nth time instead of doing it of her own volition.

I have been considering reading these based just on the strength of the covers but I'm waiting until they all hit unlimited (bad fan here).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This isn't even the first time Cable has killed Cable!

Sorry, discussion threads don't get tags.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Extermination depends a lot on what the ending is to see if it's an effective/good story. Like, if it's setting the plate to clear off some extra characters and either bring Scott back or have young Scott stay, I'm fine with that.

I do like the original five though, so I'm fine if they do stay.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I wasn't really reading comics when the whole O5 thing happened but why on earth would they just stick around forever? Wasn't the entire purpose to show them how lovely the world got or mistakes along the way so they could go back and do things better? If they just stay in the future isn't that kind of loving up yet another non-616 Earth that has to putt along with no X-Men team? Seems like a really lovely issue of What If? where Magneto just immediately wipes out homo sapiens. Just send them back and then in a year follow up with a series in their multiverse showing what improvements they made as a result of the things they learned in 616 land.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davebo posted:

I wasn't really reading comics when the whole O5 thing happened but why on earth would they just stick around forever? Wasn't the entire purpose to show them how lovely the world got or mistakes along the way so they could go back and do things better? If they just stay in the future isn't that kind of loving up yet another non-616 Earth that has to putt along with no X-Men team? Seems like a really lovely issue of What If? where Magneto just immediately wipes out homo sapiens. Just send them back and then in a year follow up with a series in their multiverse showing what improvements they made as a result of the things they learned in 616 land.

I think they were a Bendis idea, on the whole, and with no more Bendis around everybody wants to put their own stamp on the franchise. Which is understandable! Even if it is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They tried to go home and couldn't for some reason.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I actually like this current team/arc of Astonishing X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

davebo posted:

They were supposed to make Cyclops remember his (Xavier's) ideals and stop doing the right thing being the "NEW MAGNETO (TM)!"

That failed. Young Cyclops almost died and caused a time paradox. They tried to go back and couldn't until they used magic instead of science. Saw duplicates of themselves. Assumed time adjusted. Later found out those were imposters from the Future Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Beat them. Decided to stick around in present until they "fixed the future."

They think Xavier will mindwipe them if they go back so they can't change the past, only the future.