Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

cheetah7071 posted:

Vote against every initiative backed by Tim Eyman.

Tim Eyman now supports universal healthcare just to drive everyone mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/PortlandDSA/status/1033551004455714817 https://twitter.com/cmkshama/status/1033753110798188545

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Evergreen school district teachers are striking tomorrow after being offered one tenth of the additional money that the state earmarked for teacher salaries. They were all told to clean out their desks of personal itemsbefore leaving today.

Vancouver public schools teachers are also probably going to strike Wednesday (the first day of school) unless a deal is reached over additional working days and pay.

If you live in either district please visit the picket lines to show your support and bring supplies or refreshments if you value public education.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

*licks dry lips, moistily*

Bomb, bomb ,bomb, bomb, bomb Iran...

https://youtu.be/o-zoPgv_nYg

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

therobit posted:

Evergreen school district teachers are striking tomorrow after being offered one tenth of the additional money that the state earmarked for teacher salaries. They were all told to clean out their desks of personal itemsbefore leaving today.

Vancouver public schools teachers are also probably going to strike Wednesday (the first day of school) unless a deal is reached over additional working days and pay.

If you live in either district please visit the picket lines to show your support and bring supplies or refreshments if you value public education.

Drove by a bunch of red shirts on the street in the Couve today, gave them a thumbs up and a bunch of honks.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

Drove by a bunch of red shirts on the street in the Couve today, gave them a thumbs up and a bunch of honks.

Thanks for supporting Evergreen teachers!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Vancouver public schools on strike beginning tomorrow. The superintendent is trying to say that it is the legislature's fault for earmarking funds for teachers. The legislature specified they wanted to see around a 15% raise for teachers, with 3 additional days for professional development. He wants to spread it out over 3 years, require 10 additional working days, and give newer teachers 4% this year, and basically COLAs the next 2 years. They also want to increase class sizes, and generally have taken a demeaning tone towards teachers who are among for a fair contact.

Reminder that this money was a legislative solution in response to the legislature being sued for not living up to its constitutional obligation to fund schools adequately.

I'm gonna take a long lunch tomorrow and drive up to Vancouver with a case of bottled water for the picket line. If you see picketers, please be nice to them. If you are having a rough go of childcare due to the strike, please remember that the superintendent is responsible for the failure of negotiations, and that teachers are ultimately fighting for a quality education for your child.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Seattle teachers talking about striking now too

https://westseattleblog.com/2018/08/seattle-teacher-strike-after-authorization-vote-tonight-local-educators-plan-to-picket-wednesday/

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Good.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Teachers gonna get us our loving income tax

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, raising class sizes seems like it is pretty much robing Peter to pay Paul. (Not that Oregon schools are better...hell they are arguably worse.)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, raising class sizes seems like it is pretty much robing Peter to pay Paul. (Not that Oregon schools are better...hell they are arguably worse.)

I don't think you could argue that Oregon schools are better than Washington schools on any metric. Teacher salaries, class sizes, and graduation rates are all a lot worse. That's why we are are ranked 48th in the nation in high school graduation rates and not a whole lot better on any other metric. US News and World Report put Oregon at 33rd for education , and Washington at#6. IMO the difference is funding and barriers to entry for new teachers. If you don't have 5 years working under another state's license, then you have to have a master's degree in education to get licensed in Oregon.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Longview teachers are also on strike. My baby sister and my grandma are out supporting them today. She's excited to get involved in something political for the first time but also happy because in she's 11 and really wants that extra week before going back to school.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

therobit posted:

I don't think you could argue that Oregon schools are better than Washington schools on any metric. Teacher salaries, class sizes, and graduation rates are all a lot worse. That's why we are are ranked 48th in the nation in high school graduation rates and not a whole lot better on any other metric. US News and World Report put Oregon at 33rd for education , and Washington at#6. IMO the difference is funding and barriers to entry for new teachers. If you don't have 5 years working under another state's license, then you have to have a master's degree in education to get licensed in Oregon.

I don't know if lowering requirements for teachers would help that much though considering restrictions on budget sizes, and how funding is allocated in Oregon. Obviously, the state needs more teachers per student but there is a heavy reclutance due to the state of PERS and overall a hostile attitude toward taxes.

Also, culturally speaking, many Oregonians, especially from rural countieshave a fairly indifferent attitude toward education as a whole. It is one of many cultural rifts in the state. (That said, even people from larger towns/Portland often really don't care either way.)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hi thread, I'm visiting Seattle in November for work. Should be there for four days, two working + Saturday and Sunday. What non-touristy but cool things should I check out while I'm there? I may eventually relocate from Texas to Seattle for work as well, and my wife is a Teacher, so these recent posts are interesting.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This thread may be more appropriate.

If you’re coming for PAX no one wants to talk about PAX so don’t bring up PAX.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Hi thread, I'm visiting Seattle in November for work. Should be there for four days, two working + Saturday and Sunday. What non-touristy but cool things should I check out while I'm there? I may eventually relocate from Texas to Seattle for work as well, and my wife is a Teacher, so these recent posts are interesting.

Do you like craft beer? If so there are numerous micro-breweries in the city that you can make into self led bike beer tour. Start at Pike Brewery and head north. Ballard has an area that literally has like 8-10 in one square mile

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I don't know if lowering requirements for teachers would help that much though considering restrictions on budget sizes, and how funding is allocated in Oregon. Obviously, the state needs more teachers per student but there is a heavy reclutance due to the state of PERS and overall a hostile attitude toward taxes.

Also, culturally speaking, many Oregonians, especially from rural countieshave a fairly indifferent attitude toward education as a whole. It is one of many cultural rifts in the state. (That said, even people from larger towns/Portland often really don't care either way.)

If you require people to have a master's degree for work that should only require a bachelor's, and then don't pay them enough to make the student loan payments on that master's degree, I think it might affect the quality of the applicant pool. Especially when anyone in portland can drive across the river and make 10k more per year.

It is certainly not the entirety of the problem, and class sizes are a huge issue as well as a general lack of classroom support and funding for differentiated educational programs. I just think treacher pay is also a big issue. Why the gently caress would you work a harder post for less money if you have to have more education to do it?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This thread may be more appropriate.

If you’re coming for PAX no one wants to talk about PAX so don’t bring up PAX.

Thanks for the link, I was following for political news and didn't realize there was a local thread. Also, not coming for PAX, I don't even work in that industry.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Do you like craft beer? If so there are numerous micro-breweries in the city that you can make into self led bike beer tour. Start at Pike Brewery and head north. Ballard has an area that literally has like 8-10 in one square mile

Cool, thanks!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Looks like Vancouver reached an agreement with the teacher's union, but others in Washington are still looking to strike https://www.theolympian.com/latest-news/article217759755.html#storylink=latest_side

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

im on the net me boys posted:

Looks like Vancouver reached an agreement with the teacher's union, but others in Washington are still looking to strike https://www.theolympian.com/latest-news/article217759755.html#storylink=latest_side

There is a tentative agreement between the district and the bargaining team, but the membership does not vote until tomorrow. They are not giving information about the deal to membership until the meeting where they will vote. I think part of it is for rumor management, but I also imagine that they don't want people picking apart the deal before the vote. As someone close to the situation, I just hope the deal is worth voting for. The last thing the teachers want is to remain on strike, but this will be their only chance for a real raise for probably the next decade or so.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Which part of Seattle?

• Eat at Kedai Makan (closed Monday-Tuesday)
• Drink beer at Brouwers
• Get sushi at Tsukushinbo
• Boycott the 5-Point

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

porkface posted:

Which part of Seattle?

• Eat at Kedai Makan (closed Monday-Tuesday)
• Drink beer at Brouwers
• Get sushi at Tsukushinbo
• Boycott the 5-Point

What did the 5 Point do? I've never been there, but used to work around there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

What did the 5 Point do? I've never been there, but used to work around there.

Dave Meinert is a sex pest.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Dave Meinert is a sex pest.

Didn't know he owned that place.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Good news, Seattle! https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/1037429510772162561

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Vote them all out wtf the mariners are garbage

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Contract the Mariners.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Did we make this contingent on them signing that 25 year lease or are they going to pull a bitch move and still only agree to a 5 year one?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I guess we now know what Gordon and Segura were really fighting about.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Booooo

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Why are they doing this for a subpar baseball team

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why are they doing this for literally any privately owned organization

if they could win it would take some of the sting out of it though

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lol they lost to the worst team in baseball last night

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Lol they lost to the worst team in baseball last night

Are they mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
This is so stupid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Are they mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet?

Not yet no

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

I honestly don't see the difference between public support of a private company and just full-on graft. If a city wants to have a baseball team, then it should put together a non-profit corporation and build one. At least when colleges pay for sports teams there's the notion that the colleges are public and any hypothetical profits will make their way back into public hands (though realistically all the profit still goes to private entities like ESPN). With private sports leagues, there is none of that. It's just dumping money. It is absolutely criminal that you've got money pouring out of these sports leagues in every direction except the cities that end up footing the bill.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Speaking of public support for a private company the owner of the Showbox building is suing Seattle for $40 million for downzoning the property. This wasn’t totally predictable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

It's good to know the people of Seattle are making the effort to do something about the chronic homeless and drug problems of the city. This new shelter, mental health facility, and drug treatment center will be a big benefit to the community.