Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Surely it can’t be that old people have no idea what the internet is or goes on with it. It’s that young people are too naive to not believe some random obvious nonsense on 4chan of all places. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
A few years ago I genuinely thought false flags and crisis actors was as dumb as it could get. I remember vainly trying to converse with someone who was absolutely convinced that the Illuminati was staging minor bus crashes in the UK and meticulously combing through photos pointing out evidence that it was all staged. I wasn't even trying to argue that the crash wasn't caused by the Illuminati, just that it made no sense for them to fake a bus crashing into a bridge and employing loads of crisis actor when it would be far easier for them to just.....crash a bus into a bridge. But he and his supporters wern't having any of it. I was just passing time really, it's always like talking to a brick wall.

Anyway....Qanon is somehow more stupid.

That reddit thread sbout Q taking down all the super computers and then laughing in that simultaneously condescending but oh so mind meltingly stupid way about the deep state coming on reddit to downvote them makes me want to find the poster and just scream into their face.

I've never met a proper, full on conspiracist....not sure I could handle it

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Those aren't "death stares".

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"The internet and radio were invented by the MEDIA and HOLLYWOOD to control the masses"

"I will use the internet and Right Wing Radio to defeat the MEDIA!"

...what?

Old boomers calling themselves "autists" as a badge of honor will never stop being funny to me :allears:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 4, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TulliusCicero posted:

"The internet and radio were invented by the MEDIA and HOLLYWOOD to control the masses"

"I will use the internet and Right Wing Radio to defeat the MEDIA!"

...what?

Old boomers calling themselves "autists" as a badge of honor will never stop being funny to me :allears:

They call their enemies "clowns", which is great.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

lol, they're not even looking at him in that picture. The lines are at like perpendicular angles to their actual eyes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ague Proof posted:

They call their enemies "clowns", which is great.

Clown is a pun on cia. How that is a pun is a mystery

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

I'm sad they couldn't find someone at the funeral with a big sloppy grin.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Clown is a pun on cia. How that is a pun is a mystery

We simply don't have the requisite brain power (damage) to understand that biting wit :shrug:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Potato Salad posted:

Were I to write a fiction like Qltists believe, I'd get slaughtered in review of my first drafts for so lazily and ham-handedly creating a "The enemy is simultaneously all-powerful and near collapse" adversary

It's like a loving 6 year old made this, or perhaps a bunch of 60+ year old boomers exposed to leaded flatware, paint, and gasoline their whole lives and who haven't challenged themselves in decad--

Huh.

The military is portrayed this way in most films, simultaneously ham fisted and evil, often conspiring to hide stuff yet the protagonists can usually sneak around military bases childishly easily.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm sad they couldn't find someone at the funeral with a big sloppy grin.

Only because Trump wasn't invited

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Were I to write a fiction like Qltists believe, I'd get slaughtered in review of my first drafts for so lazily and ham-handedly creating a "The enemy is simultaneously all-powerful and near collapse" adversary
:umberto:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Ague Proof posted:

So many grim, joyless faces at THIS FUNERAL.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Mameluke posted:

Is it just me or did this thread totally overlook Q being (partly) unmasked?

quoting this because its been like 3 weeks and this just kinda happened, like its pretty definitely those 3 from that NBC article, or at least was up front, and of course that doesn't slow the crazy train down in the slightest

like obviously this thread is way more up on Q happenings than most normal healthy humans and it was barely a blip even here

owns

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
We cared about as much as all the Qultists cared about Q being unmasked. It's become self sustaining, like the conspiracy of vaccines causing autism or any of the AIDS conspiracies.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I just figured out Q's clues.
Because I'm really smart!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spergin Morlock posted:

Because I'm really smart!

:lol::lol:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I'm still trying to figure out the "news" network One America News aka OAN, as they have run special reports on the murder of Seth Rich being a part of the vast DNC/Clinton conspiracy network and a report on how the Syrian gas attacks actually never happened.

Tonight, they ran another special report saying QAnon has been revealed as a hoax. I guess OAN is like other right-wing douchebags who are pissed more assholes are horning in on their corner of crazytown. I'm curious how Qfolk viewed that network before and how much they hate it now.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
That kind of touches on to me what is the only really surprising and most fascinating part of this whole thing.
It's not surprising to me that the Q Cult exists. Its existed in some form or another for decades. As many others have pointed out in this thread, it's the culmination and synthesis of decades of Republican fear-mongering, cult-thinking, and moral panic.
What's actually surprising to me, though, is how effective Q has been at setting himself/themselves up as the new cult leader, even at the expense of old ones. Alex Jones vs Q, and Q won. And so on and so forth. It's surprising to me that authoritarian cultists would so readily abandon their old gods, and for no real reason, and all the more surprising when you consider Q isn't even a charismatic leader or something but a literally faceless 8chan shitposter posting literal nonsense.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They can pretend to be the avatar of the one true god to the Chuds, Trump. Remember, throughout history, the most successful cult leaders have always claimed they were related to, or even the reborn form of Christ, or any other number of deities. Jones, Fox, and all the others can't pretend they are Trump made flesh, or the instrument of his will or whatever.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

A big factor is that the old figures like Jones cut their teeth as messengers of threat. This bad thing is happening or about to happen, we need to stop it. Trump comes along, and suddenly he's talking about not immanent doom, but immanent triumph. Make America Great Again, drain the swamp, these are promises to not just stop things from getting worse, but to fix everything and bring things back to where they're supposed to be. That's a powerful promise.

And then Trump gets into office, and their lives don't get better. Nobody wants to acknowledge the fact that their Avatar of strength and hope is just a tacky landlord with dementia, so it must be some outside force. The usual conspiracy theorists start talking about the deep state, but again, nobody wants their savior figure to fail because the bad guy was too powerful.

Then Q comes along and says "don't worry, everything you wanted is still happening, the bad guys are actually on the run and defeated, any day now it will all be revealed, and your lives will finally improve, and you'll be able to rub it in everyone's face." That gives them the hope they were losing and lets them save face, because they weren't wrong before, pinning their hopes on a racist carnival barker really was a good and smart idea, and it's their liberal relatives who'll be embarrassed for being idiots.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pretty much and as they’ve had to isolate and block out more and more of reality that’s when the company of behavior really started to begin. As things continued to deteriorate the enemy had to be bigger and more evil for why THE TRUTH hasn’t been revealed and that’s how we ended up at a worldwide network of elite Jewish backed satanist cannibals who torture children to eat their brains. So people like the crazy lady on Twitter saying the CIA used MK ULTRA on her so her dad could sell her as a child sex slave to Tom Hanks are suddenly hoisted up as a pillar of the Qult, where before they were just another crazy on the internet screaming into the void, reinforcing their psychosis and reinforcing the psychosis of the Qult

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m very interested to see the Qult reaction when Trump leaves office with none of the promises happening, especially if it’s through impeachment.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see violence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’re already violent, so it’s not a huge stretch to imagine that they will become more violent.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well obviously everything went down last month (just like Q said it would) but it's being kept under wraps for some reason so when Trump is impeached it's just his way of saying 'MISSION ACCOMPLISHED', nothing else to do here.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mozi posted:

Well obviously everything went down last month (just like Q said it would) but it's being kept under wraps for some reason so when Trump is impeached it's just his way of saying 'MISSION ACCOMPLISHED', nothing else to do here.

That works for certain intangible/immeasurable goals, but not others. You can't quite use that line of thinking to explain why Trump is no longer president yet Hillary Clinton and Obama are both still visibly alive and free.

EDIT: Like, really, I think that's probably the Qult's biggest mistake compared to the other hucksters that have preceded it. They make concrete claims. I think that's why the Qult will ultimately have less staying power than other Republican conspiracy theories and cults. Once Trump is out of office, however that happens, the Qult will definitely dwindle to insignificance, although certainly there will be some die hard loonies who stay aboard.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
They do say Obama must be in Guantanamo every time he's not in the news for a few days.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Yeah, but you can get away with that (with idiots) as long as there's still hope of a next time. Once Trump is out of office, that hope fades (unless somehow his successor is a Republican).
"I guess he wasn't in Gitmo this time, but next time Trump will shove him in there, you'll see!" only works when you have Trump and the hope of a next time. Once Trump's out, yeah.

The only way I see the Qult surviving past Trump's term is if somehow Hillary and/or Obama die or completely vanish from the public eye between now and then. I suppose Hillary dying of natural causes is within the realm of possibility between now and then, given her age, although still unlikely, but barring violence, I think it's safe to say that it's pretty much outside of plausibility that either Obama or Hillary are dying anytime soon. So once Trump is out, there's going to be a huge crisis of faith because the two biggest concrete promises Q made have been unfulfilled.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
the crazy people predicting things on SA do that too, predict 30 things, hold up the ones they get right as proof they are right and then never speak about the ones they got wrong ever again. (and then re-phrase anything they got close like they had said it way closer than they originally had).

When obama isn't arrested they will just clam up about him ever getting arrested then point to whatever random list of people that are arrested or die form the list of like 200 people they mentioned would.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
They like doppelganger theories based on the same person looking slightly different in different photos (which is kind of weird because they also believe in crisis actors, based on two different people looking similar in different photos.) So they'll just say current Obama must be an Obama lookalike.

There are people who think Paul McCartney died in the 60s and was quickly replaced with a Fake Paul or Faul.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Yeah exactly, the real Nigerian Muslim Obama is in jail or worse, thats a look alike because nonQ heads couldn't handle the actual truth.

Also Trumps impeachment wasn't real either that was his way of saying he was done. The children are safe the "wall" is built...it was in our hearts all along.

Praise Q.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
The slapped-together, duct-taped nature of the Qanon "grand conspiracy" means that, when the whole thing finally, naturally falls apart, former True Believers are still going to have things to cling onto so that their worldview doesn't completely shatter.

They'll begrudgingly admit that, okay, maybe they got roped along, and Trump wasn't this benevolent mastermind... But MKULTRA is still behind all of the false flag shootings, that hadn't changed. And there are still Adrenochrome-harvesting cultists running the government. And, hey, we still haven't seen any birth certificate! And Spirit Cooking, what's the deal, am I right?

They'll just pick up whatever pieces they want to, and will be primed to start blindly following the next person who has claims of being able to tie them all together. When Qanon finally, undeniably fails, the people who drop the whole thing and realize they had a bad case of brain worms are going to be in the minority.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yeah, but you can get away with that (with idiots) as long as there's still hope of a next time. Once Trump is out of office, that hope fades (unless somehow his successor is a Republican).
"I guess he wasn't in Gitmo this time, but next time Trump will shove him in there, you'll see!" only works when you have Trump and the hope of a next time. Once Trump's out, yeah.

The only way I see the Qult surviving past Trump's term is if somehow Hillary and/or Obama die or completely vanish from the public eye between now and then. I suppose Hillary dying of natural causes is within the realm of possibility between now and then, given her age, although still unlikely, but barring violence, I think it's safe to say that it's pretty much outside of plausibility that either Obama or Hillary are dying anytime soon. So once Trump is out, there's going to be a huge crisis of faith because the two biggest concrete promises Q made have been unfulfilled.

Eh if Trump leaves office in a way where he can’t return (such as getting impeached) then the Qult will spin it as an attack against them. “The (((globalists))) caught on to what Trump was doing and tried to stop him, but don’t worry! Q is still fighting behind the scenes to help Trump get back into office! Don’t worry, any day now The Truth will be exposed and <whatever president replaces trump> will be kicked out of office, so Trump can rightfully retake his throne!”

If Trump runs out the rest of his term and then loses a reelection in 2020, then they spin the same story - the jews globalists manipulated the election so that Trump couldn’t win because he was THIS CLOSE to succeeding! etc etc Q working to get Trump back in etc.

Ironically, Trump getting re-elected and then running out a second term is probably the worst case scenario for the Qultists, because then I can’t really see how they could spin it any further. But by that time some new republican candidate that’s just as bad as Trump may have come along for them to switch devotion to.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Ague Proof posted:

They like doppelganger theories based on the same person looking slightly different in different photos (which is kind of weird because they also believe in crisis actors, based on two different people looking similar in different photos.) So they'll just say current Obama must be an Obama lookalike.

There are people who think Paul McCartney died in the 60s and was quickly replaced with a Fake Paul or Faul.

I was thinking that, but the thing is, that's an implicit admission then that the Deep State is still around, since they're actively covering up Obama's death. Trump isn't supposed to merely defeat Obama and Hillary, he's supposed to defeat the Deep State/Hivites/(((Cabal))). If defeating Obama and Hillary alone was sufficient, then yeah, they could say he had them killed and these are simply body doubles from the (((Cabal))) keeping up the masquerade, but Trump is supposed to have ended that. He's going to drain the swamp and #MAGA.
If Obama and Hillary are visible in any form after his presidency ends, then he has failed and I think most Qultists will realize this.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That works for certain intangible/immeasurable goals, but not others. You can't quite use that line of thinking to explain why Trump is no longer president yet Hillary Clinton and Obama are both still visibly alive and free.

EDIT: Like, really, I think that's probably the Qult's biggest mistake compared to the other hucksters that have preceded it. They make concrete claims. I think that's why the Qult will ultimately have less staying power than other Republican conspiracy theories and cults. Once Trump is out of office, however that happens, the Qult will definitely dwindle to insignificance, although certainly there will be some die hard loonies who stay aboard.

The thing is, if Q hadn't made concrete claims, they never would have taken off in the first place. If I wanted vague notions of Trump eventually doing what he promised, I could listen to one of his other established sycophants. Q upped the ante by saying not only "this specific thing will happen," but "this did happen, the people at work who make fun of you just don't realize it because they're sheep, just wait for the big reveal."

And it can't stay together forever, because the whole implicit point is that the bad guys (liberal deep state antifas) are the reason life is getting worse, and things will get better once they're gone. There can't be a moment of final victory, because then the Qult will look around and see that the old factories in town are still closed, and people still yell at them for using racial slurs, and their cousin just died from a fentanyl overdose. You can promise the Rapture will happen, and you can delay the date more times than you'd think and get away with it, but you can't get away with saying that the Rapture happened and we're in heaven now.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Q's prophets can be wrong at interpreting Q's revelations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I've got two words for you all:

Shadow President.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the big risk for violence is that Q explicitly has an enemy that is present and actively dangerous. They think there’s submarines firing missiles at Air Force One and agents dramatically taking down CIA supercomputers. It’s not just subtle manipulation behind the scenes. They think there’s full blown Mission: Impossible and Tom Clancy fights secretly going on that only they know about.

If Trump is impeached or otherwise prevented from fulfilling his obligations to destroy the Deep State, I can see at least one person interpreting it as a hostile act in a secret war and taking it as an impetus to fight back personally.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I was thinking that, but the thing is, that's an implicit admission then that the Deep State is still around, since they're actively covering up Obama's death. Trump isn't supposed to merely defeat Obama and Hillary, he's supposed to defeat the Deep State/Hivites/(((Cabal))). If defeating Obama and Hillary alone was sufficient, then yeah, they could say he had them killed and these are simply body doubles from the (((Cabal))) keeping up the masquerade, but Trump is supposed to have ended that. He's going to drain the swamp and #MAGA.
If Obama and Hillary are visible in any form after his presidency ends, then he has failed and I think most Qultists will realize this.

My favorite thing about all of this cognitive dissonance is something I just realized:

These dumb olds believe the deep state/ globalists/ Hivites/ whatever the gently caress have been controlling things behind the scenes for at least as long as they have been alive, and the more crazy hundreds to thousands of years further back then that.

...When exactly was America great if it was always controlled by a satanist pedophile cabal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

My favorite thing about all of this cognitive dissonance is something I just realized:

These dumb olds believe the deep state/ globalists/ Hivites/ whatever the gently caress have been controlling things behind the scenes for at least as long as they have been alive, and the more crazy hundreds to thousands of years further back then that.

...When exactly was America great if it was always controlled by a satanist pedophile cabal?

1782, around the time of the Articles of Confederation. There were no native Americans crying about political correctness (because we were killing them and driving them off their land), no black people complaining about being killed (because they were enslaved) and there was a weak federal government which gave all rights to the people so they could be free to oppress minorities in peace.