Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
at least ECS seems to be acknowledging the problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Guinness posted:

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

Yikes, apparently ECS Tuning has become a real poo poo show of a company.

That's been a well-established fact for a while now (I'm told, still new to this whole euro car thing), the bulk of the article seems to be about how they're finally acknowledging and attempting to fix some issues, and allegedly haven't hosed with Pelican at all since buying them. I'm still not giving ECS a shot until I hear better than that but there's a lot of stuff for my E21 where it's Pelican or go without, and the 2 or 3 orders I've done with them have been smooth and speedy. (The jellybeans don't hurt :) )

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 31, 2018

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I sort of forgot they bought Turner, and ended up ordering from them via Turner's site about a month ago. Went totally fine in terms of cost, delivery, and as expected.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the Turner stuff is showing up on ECS storefront. I think it's only a matter of time before Turner storefront dissapears. Sounds like the original Turner guys are fully focused on racing these days and there isn't any R&D going on anyways.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yall see the 8 series release? That's a hefty coupe and also price tag. Body styling looks a little too... Modern Mustang for my taste

Swing-and-a-miss for both the new 8 and z4 in my opinion. Especially the z4. It looks like a Miata with a Kia grill. None of the proportions from the Z3 or the e86 carried over. Shame.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Guinness posted:

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

Yikes, apparently ECS Tuning has become a real poo poo show of a company.

ECS security breaches were responsible for CC fraud for me *twice*. I stopped dealing with them a long time ago. I never had any issues with missing parts but they definitely took forever to ship stuff. I started supporting a local indie guy instead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Figured out the weird squeak that only occurs when the car is warm is likely strut tower bearings and or mounts. At 100k miles and eighteen years, while I'm in there, should I just do the struts too?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
may as well, Koni Orange / STR is cheap. Yellow isn't worth it on a street car

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone that's done the Takata airbag recall, is it common/easy to get a loaner car? I don't need it necessarily but I figure if they'll provide it might as well.

Finally got around to scheduling an appointment for this Wednesday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It takes about an hour and a half to do.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

It takes about an hour and a half to do.

Oh well never mind then, I'll just wait around.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went in there, listened to the Better Call Saul podcast and left with a new airbag. Don't forget to sign up for the class action suit to maybe get money someday.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It depends on which recall you're having done.

For my E46 the dealership wanted the car for four hours to do the passenger side airbag (which needed full replacement) and two hours for the driver side airbag (which only needed verification it wasn't affected by the recall).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My service report from BMW already shows some airbag recall was already done, but I keep getting notices in the mail and the recall website listed my car as needing it. So maybe it'll be quite if they've already done a partial fix on it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hello sorry to distract from parts chat but I’m up a mountain at the Oberalpass and thought you’d like to know.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

E46 starter replacement update from a couple pages ago: took up the shop's offer for one of the guys to come up and side job it for $200. Super nice young kid showed up exactly on time, hauled out his tools, and had it done in under three hours - pulling the intake manifold and everything. I didn't do much other than fetch him a few tools and clean up parts while they were out on the table. He made a joke about removing the hood if it started overheating so I immediately asked him if he was a Roadkill fan and of course he was so we discussed favorite episodes. Best $200 I've spent in awhile. He also replaced some rotted out vac lines around the evap canister (thankfully I had a few feet of vac hose stashed somewhere).

In retrospect, and of course he's done it a hundred times, but pulling the manifold didn't look as bad as I thought it would be. Anyway it's nice to have a new starter, I didn't realize how lovely mine had gotten until I cranked the new one.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Hello sorry to distract from parts chat but I’m up a mountain at the Oberalpass and thought you’d like to know.

:mad: Oh hey, bucket list

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Popete posted:

Anyone that's done the Takata airbag recall, is it common/easy to get a loaner car? I don't need it necessarily but I figure if they'll provide it might as well.

Finally got around to scheduling an appointment for this Wednesday.

I had it done in 30 minutes. :)

MrChips posted:

It depends on which recall you're having done.

For my E46 the dealership wanted the car for four hours to do the passenger side airbag (which needed full replacement) and two hours for the driver side airbag (which only needed verification it wasn't affected by the recall).

Lol my dealership did both sides in 30 minutes flat.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My dealer has a blue M2C with DCT and no add-ons sitting on the lot for MSRP

... while I've got a blue M2C with DCT and no add-ons scheduled for delivery in late November for MSRP

fuckers

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My dealer has a blue M2C with DCT and no add-ons sitting on the lot for MSRP

... while I've got a blue M2C with DCT and no add-ons scheduled for delivery in late November for MSRP

fuckers

Sell your production slot?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

are you sure it isn't someone's car and they have a sell-and-display deal

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Popete posted:

Sell your production slot?

Yeah I called as soon as that clicked. The car is listed for MSRP, but there's a "Market Adjustment" of $10,000. Never mind!

It's been on the lot for 72 hours and was built July 14th. These things are slow to cross the ocean.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I called as soon as that clicked. The car is listed for MSRP, but there's a "Market Adjustment" of $10,000. Never mind!

It's been on the lot for 72 hours and was built July 14th. These things are slow to cross the ocean.

I don't know if I've ever seen so many posts about a car that hasn't even been built.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Seminal Flu posted:

I don't know if I've ever seen so many posts about a car that hasn't even been built.

Ah sorry if it's annoying. I'm just excited is all. The wait will probably seem shorter if I'm not yapping about it 24/7

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ah sorry if it's annoying. I'm just excited is all. The wait will probably seem shorter if I'm not yapping about it 24/7

I'm not saying it's annoying... it's cute, but bordering on "that guy."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Seminal Flu posted:

bordering on "that guy."

[camera slowly pans across my outfit before landing on my embarrassed face]

I uh.. I hear ya!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

[camera slowly pans across my outfit before landing on my embarrassed face]

Real talk, though -- I'd say you're better off with a unit later in the production run. That way they get some of the new model teething pains worked out and you have to deal with (hopefully) less bullshit.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

If any of you are in the market for leasing an i3 for some reason, just go for the i3s. Wider tires and suspension improvements get the platform as close to feeling like a proper BMW as it ever will in this generation.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Seminal Flu posted:

Real talk, though -- I'd say you're better off with a unit later in the production run. That way they get some of the new model teething pains worked out and you have to deal with (hopefully) less bullshit.

Are you saying wait for the M2C 2020? Or wait until a few more months of 2019 M2C's get churned out?

My production date will be 6 months after the first one to be built, so I'd hope some of the kinks are worked out in that time frame!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just wait for your drat car, my man. 6 months will be here before you know it, and knowing you're living the last 6 months of existence as a horrendous non-M-car-owning plebe will build character.

Have a M3 video to tide you over.
https://vimeo.com/206479242

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
2018 M2s in Ohio are sitting on lots marked below sticker by 5%. In a few months they’ll go for more than 10% off.

They’ll be more than happy to sell you one and ship it if you don’t want to do a road trip.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah but the 18 and 19 aren't even the same car imho. I'm surprised the 18s have held near MSRP as long as they have!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah but the 18 and 19 aren't even the same car imho. I'm surprised the 18s have held near MSRP as long as they have!

N55 with a 30 minute tune is over 400 hp and very, very streetable. S55 makes more power, but is more high strung. ATM, you can get a 2018 for $50k, or wait 6 months for a 2019 for $10k more... If you can sell your place in line, put that profit towards a 2018 for a result of $45k, that'd get you an extremely fun car while minimizing depreciation. Or, you can wait for a 2019 that, regardless of whatever idolatry is happening, is going to be a used car like all the other 2019s in a few short months.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
An M-car's gotta have an S-code IMO.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The 2016-2018 M2 is for poors that can't afford a real M2

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’ve done some maths and 3 is more than 2 and therefore better have you considered therefore buying an m3 my friend

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I actually looked this up; he's right

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone here ever drive/compare a 981 Cayman and an M2?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Residency Evil posted:

Anyone here ever drive/compare a 981 Cayman and an M2?

Why a 981? A 718 is pretty close in price.

I chose a 718 over an M2. The Cayman isn’t as fast but feels amazing. The mid-engine layout makes all the difference. It’s not as fun for hooning around but it takes curves and corners like nothing I’ve ever driven before.

The interior is top notch and is in a class above BMW interiors. The multimedia is disappointing though, but once you get used to iDrive they all are.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Bape Culture posted:

I’ve done some maths and 3 is more than 2 and therefore better have you considered therefore buying an m3 my friend

My dude have you done the maths on M4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

since on the 1M the one has carried over to the other side of the M, it's safe to assume that using base ten numbering that the 1M = 10 Ms