Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Montalvo posted:

I'm running the most up to date version of the app on a Pixel 2 XL with Android P. I've been getting 'Loading failed!' errors all day, both on WiFi and mobile data.

Your device is EOL, hold out for the Pixel 3 XL :v:
What a terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

Sometimes the forums and/or cloudflare eats poo poo, was it happening on the browser too?

No, it doesn't happen in browser (and it's still happening in the app). Reinstalling hasn't fixed it.

edit: I'm really loving stupid; I changed my forums password and forgot to do so in the app.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 16, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Try manually deleting the app data. I'll try it later on a 2XL on P.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
No need; I'm just very stupid!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:same:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Montalvo posted:

No, it doesn't happen in browser (and it's still happening in the app). Reinstalling hasn't fixed it.

edit: I'm really loving stupid; I changed my forums password and forgot to do so in the app.

I'd laugh and say I've never done that before but I respect you too much to lie to you like that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there a way for the app to override the default navbar color on the latest Samsungs? I'm in blackout mode and I hate having a bright white navbar at the bottom.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I've been having some issues on my Moto G4 Plus where the GIF thread will just freeze the app, even if there's only like 4 mp4s on the loaded page. It started happening a few weeks ago, never had any issues before that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maleh-Vor posted:

I've been having some issues on my Moto G4 Plus where the GIF thread will just freeze the app, even if there's only like 4 mp4s on the loaded page. It started happening a few weeks ago, never had any issues before that.

I asked about it a little while ago because the same thing's happening on my Pixel. The supposition was that it's a recent update to Webview that's doing terrible things.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

mango sentinel posted:

Is there a way for the app to override the default navbar color on the latest Samsungs? I'm in blackout mode and I hate having a bright white navbar at the bottom.

seconding this. I'm using the OLED theme and the navbar stays white.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Apologies if I missed the discussion, but why did we lose the Leper's Colony link for individual posters? Is there any way to access the LC at all from the app anymore?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Did you switch from iOS to Android ?
We never had LC support. Working on it, though.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Ah! I did. Thought there were the same developers on both sides. My apologies, though I really do enjoy the overall Android experience with this app. Thank you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are many others having problems with webms/gifvs? They just make the app poo poo itself so hard. I understand that it's probably Webview's fault, but is there anything that can be done to help the hanging, either as a user or as a developer? Nothing else kills my Pixel like the gif thread does.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Disable autoplay?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

Disable autoplay?

Is there a separate setting for gifs and the other format? I've already got gifs set to not play by default.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yes, look in the embedding settings, in the post settings I think. Too many loving settings in this app.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

Yes, look in the embedding settings, in the post settings I think. Too many loving settings in this app.

Ah, didn't realize there's a whole embedding section under the posts settings. Auto-play was already disabled; I guess I'll just turn off embedding for these things until Google fixes their poo poo (haha!).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Did something change with how Tweeter embeds things? It looks like if it's a playable video the aspect ratio on the preview gets all squashed instead of whatever it's native ratio is; this goes away if you tap to play it but thought it acted differently before. (I mostly don't bother with the videos except in the PYF > Cute thread which I only read every couple of weeks so I could well be smoking crack on this).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Scaramouche posted:

Did something change with how Tweeter embeds things? It looks like if it's a playable video the aspect ratio on the preview gets all squashed instead of whatever it's native ratio is; this goes away if you tap to play it but thought it acted differently before. (I mostly don't bother with the videos except in the PYF > Cute thread which I only read every couple of weeks so I could well be smoking crack on this).

I thought it usually cropped stuff? Either way yeah it's Twitter's own embed code that turns the link into :pcgaming:content:pcgaming:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Can someone point me to where the app gets the post data from? Or does it just make the same php requests that a browser does? I'm thinking of making a version of the forums in react, just for fun

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It literally just gets the HTML the same as a browser does and then parses/modifies it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Thanks

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Montalvo posted:

I just did the same thing and smacked my forehead the moment I read your post.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
Hey, I am getting constant "loading failed" msg (wont even load forums list), reinstall did nothing. Any idea what could be causing it?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

sajobi posted:

Hey, I am getting constant "loading failed" msg (wont even load forums list), reinstall did nothing. Any idea what could be causing it?

What version of Android is your device? If it's really old it has to do with a change in the forums themselves.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

The Merkinman posted:

What version of Android is your device? If it's really old it has to do with a change in the forums themselves.

I have android 8.0.0 so thats probably not an issue.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You wouldn't, by any chance, have recently changed your forums password, but have neglected to do so in the app?

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Flipperwaldt posted:

You wouldn't, by any chance, have recently changed your forums password, but have neglected to do so in the app?

God damnit, of course that was it. Thanks a lot mate.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whole lotta password changing going on, was there some giant data breach from like GameStop or something I'm not aware of?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Tweets aren't loading for me anymore.

EDIT: Tweets are working fine.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 17, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sorry to hear that, the second part I mean

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hi everything in my app seems to be doing just fine. When will this be fixed?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nth Doctor posted:

Hi everything in my app seems to be doing just fine. When will this be fixed?

When Lowtax finishes up his mobile site and starts a war with the perfectly functional Awful app.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't wait for Lowtax to start charging :5bux: for mobile access

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

asecondduck posted:

Can't wait for Lowtax to start charging :5bux: for mobile access

He should

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I don't envy whoever tries to do it in jquery

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Are links to individual posts broken for everyone or just me? I get sent links via Facebook or WhatsApp or whatever but the app just takes me to the top of the relevant page instead of the post they want me to lol at

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Are links to individual posts broken for everyone or just me? I get sent links via Facebook or WhatsApp or whatever but the app just takes me to the top of the relevant page instead of the post they want me to lol at

That's been broken forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Post the links