Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tossed my traps. Can’t wait to see what what the crabs gods offer me tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Took out the new Ultra-Light for some ultra small ones. I didn’t have time to do a kayak run, so I just hit the local dock a couple blocks from home. I stopped by the local fishing shop and got my old South Bend reel loaded up with 10lb braid, which is like 2lb mono size. She was a little apprehensive with my loading up the rod with such heavy line, but I explained it’s not for horsing the fish in. I open the drag and if the rod is bending too much, so you need to work the fish in a little bit. It makes pan fishing feel like trophy fishing.

First customer was a ~6” yellow perch that swallowed the hook.

River chub

Another yellow perch. There was a kid holding the boat for his dad on the left there. He was pretty excited and said, “oh a yellow perch! I’ve only seen those in a video game!” so I handed it to him to toss back.

This little rock bass was the last customer of the night.

The ultralight is good fun. I want to take it by the creek to see if I can meet up with a big bass or carp.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got my limit and some fatties!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Crabbing must be all anticipation while you wait for the pots never knowing :ohdear:

I went out Ultralight fishing yesterday morning and was bringing in some tiny perch.

Then something big grabbed hold and folded the rod in half before the drag could start spinning free. :sweatdrop:

So that ones off to Okuma for warranty. Grabbed a Light 5’ Ugly Stik to use since spinning rods take a bit more of a beating than baitcaster a for flex.

Cute little sunfish.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
All I loving care about is catching salmon and cutting them up. Good weather and volcanoes are just icing on the cake.

https://imgur.com/a/foNqXbc

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

All I loving care about is catching salmon and cutting them up. Good weather and volcanoes are just icing on the cake.

S.R.E.A.M. get the salmon. Alaska? The season here in WA starts soon. :stoked:

Sockington posted:

Crabbing must be all anticipation while you wait for the pots never knowing :ohdear:

It's helpful to be able to fish for other things while the pots soak. That keeps your mind off of it, and then checking the pots just becomes a thing to schedule your day around. And after you pull 150' of lead line a few times, you don't look forward to it as much. That said, the anticipation pulling up a pot is really exciting, and seeing a full one come into view from the depths is pure joy.

LingcodKilla posted:

Got my limit and some fatties!

Super jealous, and equally upset with myself for not having my pots out there, too. That rock claw could sever a finger, god drat.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Kazak_Hstan posted:

holy guacamole, where is this?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went down to the creek to try the light action rod out. I didn’t expect much going on with the temperatures, but ended up pulling tiny fish all day.

Some Bluegills

Little white bass.

Some normal bass

Micro Bass

Some perch

loving gobies :argh:

Smallest I’ve ever caught

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's awesome that your creek has that much variety. Does Walter live there too?

I've been trying to suss out your rig. Is it like a two-hook dropshot rig? It looks like a scaled down version of my usual surf setup.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Somehow I haven't fished in about 8 years, but after moving to Ann Arbor this summer I've gotten the bug again really badly. Maybe the worst part was that I'd been gifted a baitcaster years ago and I'd never caught anything with it in the one or two times I used it. I went out a couple weeks ago to an easy access spot on the Huron River just to practice casting - in about 10 minutes I had this guy.

My first pike, measured about 22 inches I think.

I've been out to a couple more spots, caught a little rock bass on that same crank bait, maybe twice the size of the lure. Tried out tube baits for the first time and got another pike about 20-22 in. Also had a bite-off, which to me is super irritating so now I'm going to focus on pike and experiment with leaders. It also means I can try to catch one on the classic red and white spoon. Everything seems super shallow and weedy here, which led me to the Johnson Silver Minnow - haven't tried it yet, waiting on a hook sharpener from Amazon since it turns out it comes about as sharp as a ballpoint pen.

I also order an Ozuma Voyager combo since I'm planning on riding my motorcycle around Lake Huron in a couple weeks, plus then I won't have to decide between fishing and motorcycling. That's supposed to show up today or tomorrow and I'm pretty excited to try it out.

I've only ever done catch and release, but I'd be super happy to eat the fish I catch if I can find anywhere close by that's safe to eat. What's the easiest humane way to kill fish?

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 6, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Dutymode posted:

What's the easiest humane way to kill fish?

If I'm keeping a fish, I just rip a gill or two and throw it on a stringer to bleed, then it goes on ice. You can also spike it in the brain if you want a quick kill.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Careful of gillrakers when ripping gills of predators.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I finger rip the gills, load the stringer, and toss it back into the water to drain the blood from the meat.

Kobolds, I mainly use pickerel rigs from shore when tossing worms. Like this;

Problem is, that top hook gets less action than half the Let’s Play subforum. So I’ll cut the premade rig, pull the top spreader wire and beads off, and retie the top swivel back on.

So I’ll end up with a rig something like this, but with a big ol’ egg shaped weight on the bottom.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Out in the bass boat today! First one in was a sheephead I thought was going to be a nice Walter.

Nice 18” smallmouth bass my buddy caught and we released. Jumped and fought like a proper bass.

Little tiny perch I caught and tossed back.

God drat I thought I had a big walleye on, told my buddy to get the net, and just a 23” catfish. Back he goes!

Biggest was a 20” walleye today. It took a long time to find the fish though.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Had some success with the bicycle/motorcycle backpack setup yesterday. I was pretty excited to catch anything since the temperature dropped about 30 degrees in 2 days. A 26er-

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dutymode posted:

Had some success with the bicycle/motorcycle backpack setup yesterday. I was pretty excited to catch anything since the temperature dropped about 30 degrees in 2 days. A 26er-

I’ve been wanting to find a pike for so long. :argh: Some people constantly catch them and feel cursed, but I have yet to deal with the craziness.

Went out with my 1-hook pickerel rig and caught this nice smallmouth that went back.

Just casting out from shore at the drive up boat launch. I tried tossing around the normal spots where I stand, got a few nibbles, then tossed it a bit further out into the weed line mess. Bam. I had my medium-light rod, so I could power him in a little bit and let the drag do its job.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I wish I could afford to fish these.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Coolbaits_Lure_Co_The_Down_Under_Weedless_Underspin/descpage-CLCWU.html

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Talullah river last week

Gonna go to the headwaters of the Chattooga tomorrow if it isn't storming

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Pretty cool: https://aftco.com/blogs/news/giant-pacific-tuna-club-bluefin

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

On one hand, I spent $150. On the other, that was less than half of what I'd pay retail. Nabbed a deal off my local fishing forum for these bad boys. The guys on the right are Lucky Craft, SP 110 jerkbaits and a couple Gunfish. The ones on the left are Duo SW Limited's and two topwater lures. Pretty stoked to lose these in the ocean!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

On one hand, I spent $150. On the other, that was less than half of what I'd pay retail. Nabbed a deal off my local fishing forum for these bad boys. The guys on the right are Lucky Craft, SP 110 jerkbaits and a couple Gunfish. The ones on the left are Duo SW Limited's and two topwater lures. Pretty stoked to lose these in the ocean!

Fancy! I hope that they produce for you. I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing when it comes to jerkbaits and such.

I don't have any fish to post at the moment, but here is an interesting scene from the jetty at Saint-Malo in Brittany. These dudes were using rods that seemed like total overkill to me, but I don't know how they do things in France. I saw one guy with a mackerel, but these rods seemed better suited for offshore tuna.

I'm home now and I really want to catch a dang fish or five.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What was overkill about them? They look like normal surf rods to me

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah tuna rods are kinda short and stout with roller guides.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm home now and I really want to catch a dang fish or five.

:same:

Any WA locals know how flexible the WDFW is regarding brand new residents and buying resident angling licenses? The rules I'm seeing online say 90 days after receiving your in-state DL, but also implies you can get it earlier if you can prove you're staying in WA. The non-res license is pretty loving expensive but I wanna fish.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah tuna rods are kinda short and stout with roller guides.

I'm clearly a moron who has never caught a tuna, or even fished for one. Hopefully I'll catch a tuna someday but the moron part is permanent. Don't mind me.

gay picnic defence posted:

What was overkill about them? They look like normal surf rods to me

I guess I've had the "use the lightest tackle possible for the fishing you're trying to do" credo beaten into my head. They worked fine and they were casting a few ounces of lead so it wasn't inappropriate; I guess I'm just not used to seeing people leaning 4.5m rods on the rail of a seawall. You'd know better than me, though. You only really need a steelhead rod to surf fish on the Washington coast so I'm not too well-versed in the flagpole variety of surf rod. My tallest one is 10'.

Hooplah posted:

Any WA locals know how flexible the WDFW is regarding brand new residents and buying resident angling licenses? The rules I'm seeing online say 90 days after receiving your in-state DL, but also implies you can get it earlier if you can prove you're staying in WA. The non-res license is pretty loving expensive but I wanna fish.

You probably want to contact them directly about that; I don't know of any immediate loopholes. Well, other than that I know that you don't need a license to fish for carp in Green Lake.

You definitely want to get the all-in-one Fish Washington license when you're a resident for the April 1, 2019 - March 31, 2020 licensing year, though. Probably not worth it for the rest of this licensing year since they don't prorate the price, so temp licenses may be the way to go. I'd be happy to take this to PMs, and let me know if you want to get a line wet when you figure out your licensing options.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Catching tuna is easy! It's just not cheap, lol. That's why I only go once a year on that free trip. I don't know how people use those long rear end rods. My longest is a 7'1. I feel like I would be so clumsy with those 20 foot monsters.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

Catching tuna is easy! It's just not cheap, lol. That's why I only go once a year on that free trip. I don't know how people use those long rear end rods. My longest is a 7'1. I feel like I would be so clumsy with those 20 foot monsters.

It's just for leverage casting out past the breakers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

joem83 posted:

My longest is 14 foot. It's tricky to cast but it's not like lure fishing where you are constantly casting.

There's a specific technique and if you can nail that (I can't) you can cast a very long way, up to 200m with a bait, over 300m with just a lead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3B2QRF5Ioo

Clearly it's not something for a crowded pier in summer when you have 6oz of lead getting swung around in a huge arc before casting.

The other reason for the extra length is to keep your line above the shore break when fishing from the beach.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That pendulum/lasso cast is insane! I am nowhere near that good, but with my 10' surf rod I can wing a few ounces of lead out well past the breakers between the sloughs where the perch live. Simple overhand casting with one is a scaled-up version of a thing that you already know how to do, so it doesn't take much practice to get the hang of it (until you want to get fancy and go for distance records).

This kind of brings me back to the things that originally puzzled me about their setup. If they were using those rods to cast from the beach it wouldn't have seemed unusual at all. They were definitely casting as far as they could with these, though, so they were making use of the rod length. I thought that one of the benefits of jetties was that they provide cover and food sources for target fish, so casting so far away from it didn't make a ton of sense to me. I guess they were just trying to access deeper open water.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

In Santa Cruz we fished from a jetty with poles long enough to hit near the kelp beds. Best way to catch girthy grass rock fish. Possibly the laziest fish I’ve ever caught but perfectly fine to eat.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I haven’t caught anything but Rock Bass and Perch lately.

The local guys use a lot of 10-13’ rods to wail their setups to the drop off at our bridge. Lake Huron feeds the mouth of this river, so lots of trout hang out there.

It drops way out in the middle with the current

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s perfect for kayak jigging imo

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

That’s perfect for kayak jigging imo

If you slip into the main current, you’ll be pushing like 7-10knots really fast - crazy fast current right there . Takes about 3-4oz just to hold a worm vertical off the pier below the bridge without it being pushed away with the current.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boo. Bring a two person kayak and have your spouse paddle while you fish.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Got my first hook in the finger! drat mackerel wouldn't stop thrashing and he stuck a treble into my thumb up to the barb. Luckily it wasn't deep enough for it to catch :dance:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Well I've been frustrated lately only get 1 fish every other time I fish on the impoundments around here. I decided to downsize on lures a bit, and while I was at Dick's the outdoors guy was extremely helpful. He suggested an inline spinner and hitting up the river instead of the ponds - I got 2 smallmouth and a bluegill yesterday and 6 smallmouth today.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
We’re going out today on the boat and I hope the fishing gods favour me today. :ohdear:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dutymode posted:

Well I've been frustrated lately only get 1 fish every other time I fish on the impoundments around here. I decided to downsize on lures a bit, and while I was at Dick's the outdoors guy was extremely helpful. He suggested an inline spinner and hitting up the river instead of the ponds - I got 2 smallmouth and a bluegill yesterday and 6 smallmouth today.

We tried changing up our normal boat fishing spot out of frustration last night. We tried something new for shits - but it didn’t really work out either. Just as we were calling it quits, I ended up get the only walleye of the night. Final tally was a 26” catfish we tossed back, a smallish perch my buddy kept, and the single Walter.

He fought like a bastard. Took me a minute or so of constant line runs to get him to the boat, and even so, just happened to net him before the surface where he’d run again.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Although I've been quiet, I really appreciate the pictures and stories, especially the ones offered when my uncle passed. Thank you. So here's a short one of my own.

This weekend I finally got the opportunity to come back up to where I used to fish with my uncle. I had to actually learn how to tie knots, tried to remember how to tie the flies he showed me and half-succeeded. The flies don't look great, but I was taught to throw the ones not actively falling apart out there, because you "might catch a dumb one."

Unfortunately although I wanted to devote the trip to fishing and shooting, there's been a tight schedule, so I only just got out to fish tonight. I went to Lake Maime and parked myself at the inlet from Lake Mary. It was already pretty late when I got there.

For a little bit it was a struggle to remember how to cast from shore, as there are trees and bushes everywhere. Fortunately I only snagged a bush once, and low enough that I could retrieve the fly.

It can get pretty windy in the afternoon/evening at these lakes, so I dealt with a couple gusts, but luckily it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately the flow from Mary is very low, so the little wind I got often pushed my line back 'upstream'. It was an interesting dynamic.

Unfortunately even the bald eagle and the osprey hanging around weren't having much luck. I didn't see anyone else catch fish, so I was resigned to simply do my best to remember my lessons. But then, I found a dumbass.

An adorable brookie! I was so stoked because in all the years I've fished up here I've only seen two brook trout. He hit it pretty hard, so I immediately felt validated.

I almost went home content after that. I'm glad I didn't.

Not only was it another brook trout, but it is easily the smallest fish I've ever caught. I'm shocked he even looked at the fly at all.

All in all, I'm going out tomorrow again, but even if I get skunked I am pretty drat happy. I caught two beautiful tiny trout with a fly that I assumed was non-functional.

Tonight, I celebrated this victory with pizza and some thematic beer.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
You dudes got any recommendations for braid knots? I went striper fishing this weekend with 20lb braid and got broken off at the knot loop twice by either big blues or stripers. I figured 20lb braid tied in a palomar loop would be enough to bring in some sizable fish, but they were snapping it like it was nothing. Each time the line came back the knot itself was intact, but the loop of the knot was split in half. I figure a knot that runs through the eyelet multiple times would hold better, but I don't know any.

I did manage to catch a few smaller blues, but didn't get any pics due to it being night time and being chest deep in rough surf the whole time.

As always, awesome pics of fish and gorgeous fishing spots everyone.