Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
As long as the sickest combos and the biggest numbers still belong to

crafters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh yeah that's the last thing on my wishlist:

- make gathering fun instead of super boring because i love walking around in the wilderness getting Herb but the actual act is just picking a thing from a list over and over. come on you made crafters have actual mechanics

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

UHD posted:

i think the ivalice story's resident catgirl said it best:

I really liked the video Zepla did about Ramza and the wandering dramaturge guy, mostly for the voice she gives Ramza.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DzUK3q2yAM

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

In a twist ending, the blue mage trainer is that cat you kept throwing grenades at.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Was Diadem also made by the 1.0 director?

Yes. Nobuaki Komoto, responsible for directing FFXI Chains of Promathia & Treasures of Aht Urhgan. Directed 1.0 until Yoshida took over. I believe Komoto is responsible for much of the crafting in XIV still, and is also the reason why crafting in HW was such a pain to level until SB was launched (but not 100% sure). He would later be the driving force behind Diadem and Eureka.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I'll be honest, I assumed SB was a PvP expansion based on the title screen, colours and cinematic. Apparently its a bit more involved than that. :v:

Also I'm impressed at how spread out the leveling experience is. Being sent all over the world would usually bug me, but other than the Sylph stuff I haven't felt chained to a single biome for long.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks to DRK questline, I've been reading the journal logs more. Still reeling from the line "if such things were possible, you wouldn't have a broken shield, now would you?"

Are there any other questlines with interesting journal logs?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

- make gathering fun instead of super boring because i love walking around in the wilderness getting Herb but the actual act is just picking a thing from a list over and over. come on you made crafters have actual mechanics

Here, have more timed nodes and some more RNG :suicide:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thyrork posted:

After playing Nier Automata, I was inspired to make an outfit. Rather then go for the obvious horny dress I veered towards A2's "Brother Nier" outfit for inspiration.

Few pages late but what sword is that?

Xun fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 5, 2018

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orcane posted:

Here, have more timed nodes and some more RNG :suicide:

Here have a hot and cold timed minigame with no tells.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Yes. Nobuaki Komoto, responsible for directing FFXI Chains of Promathia & Treasures of Aht Urhgan. Directed 1.0 until Yoshida took over. I believe Komoto is responsible for much of the crafting in XIV still, and is also the reason why crafting in HW was such a pain to level until SB was launched (but not 100% sure). He would later be the driving force behind Diadem and Eureka.

Why is this guy still on the team? What kind of dirt does he have?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hunter Noventa posted:

Seniority and years worked in a Japanese company.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Countblanc posted:

https://imgur.com/a/IKjV2Sm

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's fine to me that gatherers are simple, all I'd really like to see is timed nodes having one more activation time per AM/PM. if you're gathering a bunch of different things on i.e. the collectable list their timers are usually spaced out so it's not too horrible, but if you're aiming to get one specific thing the wait is way too long.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Countblanc posted:

Have you tried the mining/logging minigames in the Gold Saucer? That's what mining and logging was actually like in 1.0 right there. Except your chance of finding anything was less than the chance of winning GP's at the minigames. I mean, some mechanics might be nice, but I'll take listpicking any day over 1.0 at least.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
My major whine about gathering is I wish GP worked liked CP in that it just refilled every gathering node. It sucks standing around doing nothing waiting for your GP to recharge when your cordial is on cooldown.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
At least miner and lumberjackologist get some buttons to list pick harder. Fisher gets their first button at like 54 or something insane.

Also about 500 other things that are gently caress terrible about fisher.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Tashilicious posted:

Seniority and years worked in a Japanese company.

This. Hiromichi Tanaka took the full responsibility for 1.0's failures, and after that he was delegated to shotty positions until he quit the company. Komoto still works and now we've all gotta suffer. He's been with the company since Xenogears, so his seniority allows him a lot of leeway.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Btw, someone told me that if you've got a gathering job at 70 then the other gathering jobs get an exp bonus, kinda like the armory bonus but for field jobs. But I can't find squat about it anywhere. Is there such a bonus or are they full of crap?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Exciting ideas for the next Eureka, Rockos, the earth aspected Eureka zone:

-Wandering rock elementals that are 5+ levels over max with no set pathing and unlimited leashing distance.
-Randomly boulders will fall from the rocky cliffs squashing anyone underneath. Prefers to target groups of people who haven't moved in a while.
-To complete the next step of the relic chain and upgrade your weapon, you need Rockos crystals gained from fates and Rocky Rockos Crystals. Rocky crystals are gained by being dug up from the ground using the dig action. There is no indicator where a good place to dig is and they are randomly distributed. There are only so many in the ground that everyone shares per instance, and theres no indicator how many are left! An unsuccessful dig gives you an indicator where to go to dig ala the rabbit chests. Because of AETHER or something you only have so many charges of dig before you run out! Get monster chains of 30 to replenish them one at a time!
-Rezzing people now consumes 20% of the dead players potential lost exp and gives back the dead player 80% of their lost exp.
-Obviously make fates take longer than ever to spawn so we can encourage the players to diversify their eureka playtime

please hire me as a content designer

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Valle posted:

Btw, someone told me that if you've got a gathering job at 70 then the other gathering jobs get an exp bonus, kinda like the armory bonus but for field jobs. But I can't find squat about it anywhere. Is there such a bonus or are they full of crap?

Armory bonus is only for combat jobs iirc.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Blockhouse posted:

Also Ramza loving sucks and him screaming at his on-the-verge-of-tears sister makes him pretty impossible to empathize with

This is on purpose so it feels real good when he turns into Ultima in 4.5 and you get to slap the poo poo out of him, hth

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The new job class is squire and ramza was used to preview it because everyone is gonna be a whiny gently caress about it, just like ramza

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Phone posted:

The new job class is squire and ramza was used to preview it because everyone is gonna be a whiny gently caress about it, just like ramza

Final Fantasy XIV: Yelling in the corner to dodge the bad

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Phone posted:

The hot new leveling method is to throw rocks at your party members for a few hours.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

-To complete the next step of the relic chain and upgrade your weapon, you need Rockos crystals gained from fates and Rocky Rockos Crystals. Rocky crystals are gained by being dug up from the ground using the dig action. There is no indicator where a good place to dig is and they are randomly distributed. There are only so many in the ground that everyone shares per instance, and theres no indicator how many are left! An unsuccessful dig gives you an indicator where to go to dig ala the rabbit chests. Because of AETHER or something you only have so many charges of dig before you run out! Get monster chains of 30 to replenish them one at a time!

I'm pretty sure this was actually how chocobo digging worked in ffxi

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

I'm pretty sure this was actually how chocobo digging worked in ffxi

I tried to make up the worst thing I could think of and was already beaten to the punch by reality

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I really liked the video Zepla did about Ramza and the wandering dramaturge guy, mostly for the voice she gives Ramza.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DzUK3q2yAM

I can’t watch her for more than a few minutes at a time because she always sounds like she’s on the verge of tears

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

What was the deal with that Wandering Dramaturge guy? Was it a reference to something? I felt like I completely missed something about that wine fetching series of quests to progress the ivalice stuff.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

My biggest problem with the Ivalice Raids is the lack of Soken music. That aside, I have no real problems with the Raids and think they're neat.

Also, stop bullying XII. :(

Never :argh:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hunter Noventa posted:

It cannot be overstated how difficult it is to kick someone out in Japan when they have seniority. Their whole business culture revolves around it, which is very frustrating (and mind-boggling) to me looking in from the outside.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

What was the deal with that Wandering Dramaturge guy? Was it a reference to something? I felt like I completely missed something about that wine fetching series of quests to progress the ivalice stuff.

He's Matsuno the same way the Wandering Minstrel is Yoshi-P.

It's why he's the guy who explains the Ivalice stuff to you.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

He's Matsuno the same way the Wandering Minstrel is Yoshi-P.

It's why he's the guy who explains the Ivalice stuff to you.

Oh okay, thanks. I was pretty sure I was missing something about that exchange

KoB
May 1, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Assuming the rumor is true is true and Blue Mage is a DPS (and considering the leak called playable Alphinaud in advance I have no reason to doubt that there is real actual information leaked from the dev team out there) I'm sure the structure will just be that all the job quests are you running around getting hit by monster attacks to learn them

Leaks also talked about how they would use Primal moves.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

KoB posted:

i will only accept this development if it leads to blue mages being used by summoners as training dummies

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

KoB posted:

If Blue Mages can snap their fingers and stomp to cast a giant ice spell I won't play anything else for a month.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tsunami was a Blue Magic in VI so that feels like a given

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also lmao you can beat any content in this game with any combination of classes so I don't know what exactly more you need to be Balanced outside of QoL stuff to just make classes less annoying to play.

Take it from me: The lady running AST in famring savage content with a MT WAR OT DRK, a WHM and the biggest chucklefucks as DPS.

Furthermore, I find balance complaints loving hilarious in this game when it comes to end game raiding.

Go on FFLogs and compare the disparity between the top players of every class.

Then go find the World of Warcraft raid logs and compare the disparity between the top players of every class spec.

Last I checked - with FFXIV, the disparity is about 10% or so. With WoW the disparity is like 50%

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sade posted:

This is on purpose so it feels real good when he turns into Ultima in 4.5 and you get to slap the poo poo out of him, hth

But they already used the Ultima's Transformation music!

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I tried to make up the worst thing I could think of and was already beaten to the punch by reality

Stop giving Komoto ideas!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Looking at a collection of all the leaks posted on the FFXIV reddit BLU is specifically "melee support DPS" so I think it's a safe bet that they're going to go with the FFXI middle eastern-esque style and they'll share gear with ninjas