Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm watching Sicario right now, and looking at all the shots of Juárez, there's always teal and yellow things everywhere: walls, houses, railings, etc. Did they look for locations where those colors were prominent or did they have to paint all of the buildings to make it look consistent? I assume some of it can be done with CGI and color correction, but most of it looks practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is Mandy going to get a wide or limited release? I haven't been able to find much concrete information. I hope it's wide. The nearest indie cinema is like 2 hours away. :(

Have you checked their website to see where it's showing, because you might be surprised. The two theaters in my area that will have it are both huge multiplexes in extremely non artsy-fartsy exurbs.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Spermando posted:

I'm watching Sicario right now, and looking at all the shots of Juárez, there's always teal and yellow things everywhere: walls, houses, railings, etc. Did they look for locations where those colors were prominent or did they have to paint all of the buildings to make it look consistent? I assume some of it can be done with CGI and color correction, but most of it looks practical.

You'd be surprised how much of this is just grading. And yeah some good location scouting and framing

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Though repainting locations for a shoot is not unheard of. Jacques Demy famously had thousands of doors and shutters painted in bright pastel colours when he filmed The Young Girls of Rochefort.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I have a question about Taxi Driver. In the climactic shootout sequence, the quality of the film visibly deteriorates. Starting with the shot of Travis's taxi pulling up to the corner through to the overhead tracking shot, the film is much softer and grainer than anywhere else in the film. I'm just wondering why this happens. Whether or not it was intentional, it does add an extra level of discomfort to the scene.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Spatulater bro! posted:

I have a question about Taxi Driver. In the climactic shootout sequence, the quality of the film visibly deteriorates. Starting with the shot of Travis's taxi pulling up to the corner through to the overhead tracking shot, the film is much softer and grainer than anywhere else in the film. I'm just wondering why this happens. Whether or not it was intentional, it does add an extra level of discomfort to the scene.

Scorsese was forced to desaturate that sequence in post to try and take the edge off the bloody violence and score an R rating, but I've seen him express the same opinion on the ultimate effect as you did.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
It's not the first time it happened and it sure wasn't the last, but it's frankly astounding that the MPAA's problem is with the color red and not the depiction of blood.

"Red blood? That's an X. Dark brown blood? Totally fine."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basically everything starting with that shot of Travis walking up to Sport and until the newspaper clipping is one long dupe. Two generations from the negative extra. When Sony photochemically restored the film in the 90s, they couldn't find the camera negative to that section, but the more recent 4K restoration improves on at least reducing the amount of printed-in damage.

Scorsese apparently isn't a big fan of revisionism, so he's basically fine with that scene remaining looking rough and degraded. Even the 4K uses that horrible quality Columbia logo at the beginning.

By comparison, the second half of the restaurant scene in The Godfather was a long dupe until the 2008 restoration. There was a processing issue back in 1972 and they had to correct it with some weird re-processing technique. The camera negative still existed, so they were able to fix the color digitally and preserve the original image quality.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Almost Blue posted:

It's not the first time it happened and it sure wasn't the last, but it's frankly astounding that the MPAA's problem is with the color red and not the depiction of blood.

"Red blood? That's an X. Dark brown blood? Totally fine."

I was watching Ms.45 and the blood there is a terrible shade of orange.

So wait, that was a MPAA thing? Like the main character getting raped multiple times and then going on a man-hating killing spree was okay - but whoa whoa let's make the blood look like carrot juice.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Basically everything starting with that shot of Travis walking up to Sport and until the newspaper clipping is one long dupe. Two generations from the negative extra. When Sony photochemically restored the film in the 90s, they couldn't find the camera negative to that section, but the more recent 4K restoration improves on at least reducing the amount of printed-in damage.

Scorsese apparently isn't a big fan of revisionism, so he's basically fine with that scene remaining looking rough and degraded. Even the 4K uses that horrible quality Columbia logo at the beginning.

By comparison, the second half of the restaurant scene in The Godfather was a long dupe until the 2008 restoration. There was a processing issue back in 1972 and they had to correct it with some weird re-processing technique. The camera negative still existed, so they were able to fix the color digitally and preserve the original image quality.

This is exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

So I wonder why Sony couldn't find the camera negative to that sequence? How do sections of film just get lost? Was it maybe a censorship thing?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I thought I remember Scorsese saying that they treated that section of the original negative to desaturate the color, so it's impossible to restore.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Usually to get that sort of color effect, they'd make a dupe from the negative via separations. With B&W separations, they can adjust the color values more radically than regular color timing.

That's how that scene in The Godfather was fixed in post. But it meant it was always two extra generations from the negative compared to surrounding sections.

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

So I wonder why Sony couldn't find the camera negative to that sequence? How do sections of film just get lost? Was it maybe a censorship thing?

Usually any shots that are treated as opticals (dissolves, effects, etc) end up junked. Columbia had terrible preservation practices for years until after the Sony purchase and they're now one of the best. Remember that they lost the camera negative to Dr. Strangelove at some point and the neg to Lawrence of Arabia was stored in a former bowling alley without climate control.

Like, all the 65mm originals for all the effects shots in Close Encounters were junked at some point. So, they survive only as 35mm reduction dupes cut into the camera negative. Which is sort of fine since it's how it's always looked, but that means they weren't able to go back and scan large format for the 4K restoration like they did for Blade Runner.

There's not really any pattern to what's kept or not, though. For example, the original background footage to the opening credits of The Bridge on the River Kwai survived, so when they restored it, they were able to do a 1:1 re-creation of the titles including a proper credit for Robert Bolt and Michael Wilson. Though, textless credits tend to survive more only because they're used for foreign language versions from time to time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

There's another weird effect in Taxi Driver at the very end, after Travis drops off Betsy and is driving alone. There's a long panning swipe and when we regain focus the film stock is noticeably different and it seems undercranked. There's also a cymbal or something that is played in reverse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4wsSRpKXNU&t=147s The scene at 2:27 is the last one shot normally, then the pan, then the different stock (8 mm is what it looks like to me) and the undercranked, sped up look. I've never seen this commented on anywhere but the first time I watched it I found it creepy as hell, a final surreal touch to the story of Travis Bickle. Anyone know anything more about it, what led to that choice, what was the intention?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

There's another weird effect in Taxi Driver at the very end, after Travis drops off Betsy and is driving alone. There's a long panning swipe and when we regain focus the film stock is noticeably different and it seems undercranked. There's also a cymbal or something that is played in reverse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4wsSRpKXNU&t=147s The scene at 2:27 is the last one shot normally, then the pan, then the different stock (8 mm is what it looks like to me) and the undercranked, sped up look. I've never seen this commented on anywhere but the first time I watched it I found it creepy as hell, a final surreal touch to the story of Travis Bickle. Anyone know anything more about it, what led to that choice, what was the intention?

It's probably an optical since it looks more contrasty. There's a credit for "Chemtone Processing" which I believe was a way of processing stock to be higher contrast for night scenes.

I need to rewatch Taxi Driver since it's been a while.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

regulargonzalez posted:

I've never seen this commented on anywhere but the first time I watched it I found it creepy as hell, a final surreal touch to the story of Travis Bickle. Anyone know anything more about it, what led to that choice, what was the intention?

According to Scorsese, he wanted this last moment to indicate that something is still very off with Travis, and it's only a matter of time until he snaps again. He told DeNiro to pretend that he caught a glimpse of someone in the back seat for a second, which is why he adjusts the mirror. The slight speedup gives it a more jarring effect, similarly to the way he sped up the footage when Travis shoots that guy in the face and he falls backward through the doorway into Sport's apartment. He told Bernard Herrmann, who had already completed the score at the time, that he needed an additional musical "sting" for this final moment, and was provided a little marimba note that Scorsese played in reverse to make it more unsettling.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Egbert Souse posted:

It's probably an optical since it looks more contrasty. There's a credit for "Chemtone Processing" which I believe was a way of processing stock to be higher contrast for night scenes.

I need to rewatch Taxi Driver since it's been a while.

Origami Dali posted:

According to Scorsese, he wanted this last moment to indicate that something is still very off with Travis, and it's only a matter of time until he snaps again. He told DeNiro to pretend that he caught a glimpse of someone in the back seat for a second, which is why he adjusts the mirror. The slight speedup gives it a more jarring effect, similarly to the way he sped up the footage when Travis shoots that guy in the face and he falls backward through the doorway into Sport's apartment. He told Bernard Herrmann, who had already completed the score at the time, that he needed an additional musical "sting" for this final moment, and was provided a little marimba note that Scorsese played in reverse to make it more unsettling.

Thanks both. Interesting stuff. Do you have a link where this is from?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks both. Interesting stuff. Do you have a link where this is from?

That's what I remembered from the old collectors edition DVD featurette and Scorsese's commentary.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Egbert Souse posted:

Usually to get that sort of color effect, they'd make a dupe from the negative via separations. With B&W separations, they can adjust the color values more radically than regular color timing.

That's how that scene in The Godfather was fixed in post. But it meant it was always two extra generations from the negative compared to surrounding sections.

Usually any shots that are treated as opticals (dissolves, effects, etc) end up junked. Columbia had terrible preservation practices for years until after the Sony purchase and they're now one of the best. Remember that they lost the camera negative to Dr. Strangelove at some point and the neg to Lawrence of Arabia was stored in a former bowling alley without climate control.

Like, all the 65mm originals for all the effects shots in Close Encounters were junked at some point. So, they survive only as 35mm reduction dupes cut into the camera negative. Which is sort of fine since it's how it's always looked, but that means they weren't able to go back and scan large format for the 4K restoration like they did for Blade Runner.

There's not really any pattern to what's kept or not, though. For example, the original background footage to the opening credits of The Bridge on the River Kwai survived, so when they restored it, they were able to do a 1:1 re-creation of the titles including a proper credit for Robert Bolt and Michael Wilson. Though, textless credits tend to survive more only because they're used for foreign language versions from time to time.

This has all been super cool to read.

Do you guys have any book recommendations that go into good detail about these kinds of things? More approachable, less clinical books on cinematography, cameras, film development, etc. etc.?

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Did/Do women want to gently caress Michael Douglas as bad as Hollywood would lead you to believe?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

pushpins posted:

Did/Do women want to gently caress Michael Douglas as bad as Hollywood would lead you to believe?

Yes, yes they did.

That whole period between The China Syndrome and Romancing the Stone, dude was considered super hot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Billy the Mountain posted:

Yes, yes they did.

That whole period between The China Syndrome and Romancing the Stone, dude was considered super hot.

I heard he does oral

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pushpins posted:

He married Catherine Zeta Jones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pushpins posted:

I’m trying to think of a recent actor who appeared in as many “mom and dad are going to the movies and gently caress afterwards” films and I’m drawing a blank.

Dude was a movie genre in and of himself.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m trying to think of a recent actor who appeared in as many “mom and dad are going to the movies and gently caress afterwards” films and I’m drawing a blank.

Tommy Wiseau

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Krispy Wafer posted:

Denzel Washington.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Denzel Washington.

That makes sense. I think I have benefited from a Denzel movie or two.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I don't know what it is about Michael Douglas, but that dude is just immensely sexy watchable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Empress Brosephine posted:

What do you guys recommend I watch to capture 70s and 80s NYC? Besides the warriors that is

Kramer vs. Kramer
The Squid and the Whale

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Empress Brosephine posted:

What do you guys recommend I watch to capture 70s and 80s NYC? Besides the warriors that is

Death Wish
Taxi Driver
French Connection
Midnight Cowboy
Marathon Man
Annie Hall
Manhattan

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Denzel Washington.

Judging by the Equalizer 2 crowd, he’s still got it. Based on Ant-Man and the Wasp, Michael Douglas not so much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Judging by the Equalizer 2 crowd, he’s still got it. Based on Ant-Man and the Wasp, Michael Douglas not so much.

Michael Douglas has got 10 years on Denzel Washington. He’s not a sex symbol anymore, but in the 80’s and 90’s you couldn’t turn around without bumping into Douglas starring in a cautionary tale of sex and betrayal.

I need to watch Disclosure again. If I’m remember correctly the sex was a backdrop to hard drive manufacturing drama.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shoulda called it Hard Drive.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Michael Douglas has got 10 years on Denzel Washington. He’s not a sex symbol anymore, but in the 80’s and 90’s you couldn’t turn around without bumping into Douglas starring in a cautionary tale of sex and betrayal.

I need to watch Disclosure again. If I’m remember correctly the sex was a backdrop to hard drive manufacturing drama.

Fair point about the age gap. And, yeah, I grew up with Romancing the Stone and that era of Michael Douglas. He was to the 80s what some Chris is now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boring Hollywood trivia: before he became a big movie actor (he was already a big TV actor but he wasn't big in movies yet) Michael Douglas produced One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and won an Oscar.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Fair point about the age gap. And, yeah, I grew up with Romancing the Stone and that era of Michael Douglas. He was to the 80s what some Chris is now.

It takes 3 Chris' to make one Michael Douglas. That's how big a star he was.

poo poo, can you imagine Captain America or Thor trying to pull off a Basic Instinct.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Imagining Chris Evans in any sort of sexual situation is hilarious.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Leather jacket, chin strap...it's actually not tough.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

feedmyleg posted:

* Google searches "Chris Evans whipcream" *

You are not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think it was CD-ROM drives, but geez, definitely feels like a movie you couldn't really make today.