Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

At least with QS, they say they will call an assembly of people “representative of Quebecois society” who will work together to create a new constitution that if iirc will include articles that would create a republic. If I’m being honest about it, they don’t seem too gung ho about it all.

Oh by the way, here’s a rare English language interview of Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois on Global TV

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4415337/big-generational-change-quebec-solidaire-offers-voters-radical-societal-project/amp/

Ok I’ll stop posting about this for a bit. It’s just weird to be genuinely excited about a Canadian political party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

ARACHTION posted:

At least with QS, they say they will call an assembly of people “representative of Quebecois society” who will work together to create a new constitution that if iirc will include articles that would create a republic. If I’m being honest about it, they don’t seem too gung ho about it all.

poo poo talking about how dedicated the other actually is to separation vs how much they're splitting the sovereignist vote is 99% of the PQ/QS beef and it's always hilarious. For the anglophones missing out on this poo poo the meme wars going on on facebook between supporters of both are pretty great.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Hahahaha

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Since the fusion with ON, QS has taken on the most egregious part of ON's old program, which is that a QS government would govern as if independent, meaning with no regard to federal or provincial jurisdiction. ("Québec solidaire appliquera les mesures prévues à son programme, qu'elles soient compatibles ou non avec le cadre constitutionnel canadien")

QS also used to be agnostic as to the outcome of the constituent assembly, it's now saying it would impose independence on it.

https://www.scribd.com/document/360799185/Entente-de-principe-QS-ON

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Macleans has an actually good article about Canadian racism against First Nations.

quote:

Indigenous rights are not conditional on public opinion
Opinion: A poll finds that most Canadians believe we apologize too much for residential schools. But it doesn’t matter if Indigenous rights are unpopular—what matters is we change
by Pam Palmater Jun 8, 2018

In 2017, Abacus Data, in partnership with Equal Voice, released the findings of their nationwide survey about Canadians’ views on women in politics. The majority of those surveyed—58 per cent—believed that there are just the right number or too many women in politics—this, despite the fact that women hold only 25 per cent of the seats in the House of Commons, and in provinces like New Brunswick, women make up as little as 16 per cent of the seats.

It’s a galling dissonance, but the premise of the question also feels frankly immaterial to how change is made. How relevant is it that Canadians think this dismal representation of women in government is either enough or too much female representation, when laws and policies in Canada specifically advocate for gender equality and protect against gender discrimination? How much should public opinion matter about whether Canadians agree with gender equality, when it is in fact the law? After all, if women had to wait for all men in Canada to agree with or like women’s equality, we might still be waiting. Women had to agitate for change. It’s never convenient to the comfortable, and discomfort polls poorly—but it’s the only way it happens.

The same thing might also be said about public opinion on Indigenous rights in Canada. The most recent Angus Reid public opinion survey, which polled 2,500 Canadians about their views on Indigenous peoples generally, and Indigenous public policy specifically, exposes a deep divide in opinion. A slight majority (53 per cent) feels that Canada spends too much time apologizing for residential schools and another 53 per cent think Indigenous peoples should integrate into Canadian society and have no special status—even if that means losing Indigenous cultures and traditions. Yet these are the very same attitudes held by former prime ministers and administrators of Indian Affairs that led to assimilatory policies like residential schools.

Therein lies the stark contradiction: Canadians feel we apologize for residential schools too much, and yet exhibit the same racist attitudes for which the apology was made.

Former Prime Minister Stephen Harper made a formal apology in the House of Commons on behalf of all Canadians on June 11, 2008 for the harms done in residential schools. It said, in part: “Two primary objectives of the residential schools system were to remove and isolate children from the influence of their homes, families, traditions and cultures, and to assimilate them into the dominant culture. These objectives were based on the assumption Aboriginal cultures and spiritual beliefs were inferior and unequal. Indeed, some sought, as it was infamously said, ‘to kill the Indian in the child.’ Today, we recognize that this policy of assimilation was wrong, has caused great harm, and has no place in our country.”

In other words, the idea that Indigenous peoples should abandon their own cultures and assimilate into Canadian culture is an idea that “has no place in our country.” Yet, a decade after the apology, half of the Canadians polled still hold these racist views. This is not surprising when many political leaders and media commentators have espoused similar racist views or denied racism exists altogether. Even Angus Reid himself seems to have difficulty accepting the racist undertones of his poll’s findings; he says he does not consider the Canadians who hold these ideas to be “racist,” but instead “hardliners” who don’t think more money is the answer to growing poverty in First Nations. It’s a surprising conclusion given the over-abundance of research and data that shows just the opposite.

In addition to the crippling economic legacy left behind by the colonization of Indigenous lands and resources, broken treaties, and rigid federal control over reserves, Canada’s gross underfunding of First Nation social programs is in fact the major contributor to First Nation poverty today. One need only read any of the auditor general’s reports to show that Canada has been underfunding essential social services like education and housing for decades. Dr. Cindy Blackstock, the head of the First Nation Child and Family Caring Society, won her discrimination case against Canada at the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal, which found that Canada’s purposeful and chronic underfunding of child and family services in First Nations was racial discrimination and a direct cause of the over-representation of First Nations children in foster care. This underfunding across all social programs is so comprehensive and so severe, that even if the racially discriminatory funding stopped this year, it would take decades to close the socio-economic gap. This isn’t a matter of public opinion—it’s a fact.

While many Canadians may feel that they are reminded too often about what happened in residential schools, it seems that in fact, they are not reminded enough. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s final report concluded that Canada was guilty of genocide—not just cultural genocide, but physical and biological genocide as well. Canadians should never forget what their country did to Indigenous peoples. Scalping bounties, smallpox blankets, forced sterilizations, and starvation policies were all part of Canada’s genocidal policies towards Indigenous peoples that, in addition to residential schools, have a lasting legacy in First Nations.

Real reconciliation is also about truth and justice. The truth requires never forgetting the rapes, tortures and deaths of thousands of children in residential school, and justice requires putting an end to the racist attitudes that allow these human rights abuses—in the form of foster care—to continue today. The same is true about historic and contemporary violence against Indigenous women and girls.

Reconciliation also requires the end of the idea that the future existence of Indigenous peoples and their identities, languages and cultures are up for debate. We have a right to exist as Mi’kmaw, Mohawk and Cree. We have a right to govern ourselves. We have a right to our lands and resources. We have a right to enjoy our Aboriginal and treaty rights. Our ancestors paid dearly for these rights. All of these rights are protected in Indigenous, Canadian and international laws. These rights form part of Canada’s founding document—the Constitution Act, 1982. Canadians do not get celebrate their own constitutionally protected rights and freedoms without recognizing ours. Our rights are not conditional on public opinion.

It’s long past time that pollsters stop asking Canadians if they like Indigenous peoples or agree with our rights—and start asking them whether they feel like they’ve put Canada’s apology into action.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/indigenous-rights-are-not-conditional-on-public-opinion/

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Probably not a great sign for the NDP in Quebec next election that the radical left wing party agrees no man wearing a turban should be able to serve as a police officer or a judge.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't get the This Is America meme, are they trying to say that metaphorically shooting the PQ's chances in the head is a bad thing? That's what I interpret, but it's an incoherent and bad message unless you're a complete loving moron who would vote for the PQ.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

Macleans has an actually good article about Canadian racism against First Nations.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/indigenous-rights-are-not-conditional-on-public-opinion/

There is no contradiction, the people complaining about apologizing believe the genocide was cool and good. It's transparently obvious.

Amazing

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

It’s long past time that pollsters stop asking Canadians if they like Indigenous peoples or agree with our rights—and start asking them whether they feel like they’ve put Canada’s apology into action.

It's kind of an interesting take on the separation of government sentiments and individual action. Am I also required to be pro-pipeline because the government really really thinks its a good idea? The government is composed of members of the public elected by other big chunks of the public, I'd argue that public opinion matters quite a bit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Pipelines and basic human rights, or recognizing an ethnic group's literal right to exist.

Exactly the same thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm sure the majority of Germans felt similarly in the 1930s.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Pipelines and basic human rights, or recognizing an ethnic group's literal right to exist.

Exactly the same thing.

If someone called you up and asked if you feel like you've put Canada's apology to indigenous people into action and you answer "yeah of course, i recognize their right to exist", maybe that doesn't satisfy the "apology into action" bit. It seems like a call for proactive action, what have you personally actually gone out and done to bring life and meaning to Stephen Harper, on behalf of The Government of Canada, and therefore your, important apology?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I personally haven't done very much*, nor would I claim to have. But I'm also not saying that we're apologizing too much, or that the apology has been put into action.

*I've worked at arms-length with government relation firms doing consultation with Ontario aboriginal communities.

But your argument appeared to be that public opinion matters in both the case of a pipeline and recognizing aboriginal peoples' right to exist, so I have no idea where the apology-into-action question comes in.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 5, 2018

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Exactly the same thing.

Is this not what the Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish were arguing in court?

(Jeez, I need to make a serious effort to learn to spell indigenous names instead of hitting Google every time one comes up.)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Was it? I don't know anything about those cases.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I personally haven't done very much*, nor would I claim to have. But I'm also not saying that we're apologizing too much, or that the apology has been put into action.

*I've worked at arms-length with government relation firms doing consultation with Ontario aboriginal communities.

But your argument appeared to be that public opinion matters in both the case of a pipeline and recognizing aboriginal peoples' right to exist.

Sorry, I wasn't calling you out, just expanding their question as I read it. That's what makes it ridiculous. You, a well meaning progressive minded fellow, are going to have the same answer to their poll question as a racist rural and %99.99 of other people. The take I was pointing out is that the government rarely compels us to do a specific thing other than file taxes, it operates by telling us what we can't do and then we have liberty to operate within those constraints on the matters that we opine are most worth caring about.

The other thing I take away from your answer is that you don't feel as though it is your personal responsibility to spend very many calories on applying action to that apology, which isn't any kind of accusation, that's the vast majority who see it as the government's problem to fix.

That was my argument, that neither a government apology or a government pipeline policy would compel a change of opinion let alone obedient action from us. The author said that chronic underfunding was the heart of the problem so presumably we could be pressuring our politicians to tax us more or divert funds from other programs into those social programs so public opinion maybe gives us a glance at why we aren't doing that or what programs we think are more important. I guess that's the real poll question they should be asking to figure out how to get the indigenous social programs higher up people's priority lists.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

I don't get the This Is America meme, are they trying to say that metaphorically shooting the PQ's chances in the head is a bad thing? That's what I interpret, but it's an incoherent and bad message unless you're a complete loving moron who would vote for the PQ.

They’re saying that the PQ is the only one of the big 3 parties that has a remote chance of forming government and are the least worst (on some aspects), but that QS sabotages that chance by existing, regardless of how good their leftist credentials are.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
If only there was an electoral system to represent voters, like, proportionally.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Sorry, I wasn't calling you out, just expanding their question as I read it. That's what makes it ridiculous. You, a well meaning progressive minded fellow, are going to have the same answer to their poll question as a racist rural and %99.99 of other people. The take I was pointing out is that the government rarely compels us to do a specific thing other than file taxes, it operates by telling us what we can't do and then we have liberty to operate within those constraints on the matters that we opine are most worth caring about.

The other thing I take away from your answer is that you don't feel as though it is your personal responsibility to spend very many calories on applying action to that apology, which isn't any kind of accusation, that's the vast majority who see it as the government's problem to fix.

That was my argument, that neither a government apology or a government pipeline policy would compel a change of opinion let alone obedient action from us. The author said that chronic underfunding was the heart of the problem so presumably we could be pressuring our politicians to tax us more or divert funds from other programs into those social programs so public opinion maybe gives us a glance at why we aren't doing that or what programs we think are more important. I guess that's the real poll question they should be asking to figure out how to get the indigenous social programs higher up people's priority lists.

I guess I just misunderstood your framing. The gist of the article is that we (or the media/polling firms) should stop treating this as if there is a question of whether aboriginal peoples should/do have human rights, because we should be waaaay past that at this point. General public sentiment should not affect the government's will or ability to fulfill their treaty obligations. Individual action on this front is mostly going to amount to writing your MP, and maybe showing up to protest in front of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada, unless you personally are in a position to propose legislation or write bills. That is probably the closest the average person is going to come to putting the apology into action, at least on a systemic level.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nine of Eight posted:

They’re saying that the PQ is the only one of the big 3 parties that has a remote chance of forming government and are the least worst (on some aspects), but that QS sabotages that chance by existing, regardless of how good their leftist credentials are.

yeah the PQ, so good and left-wing that last time they were in office they enacted austerity and tried to pass the Quebec Charter of Values

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I read that "This is America" thing as the QS siphoning separatist voters away from the PQ, splitting the separatist vote and torpedoing the chance for another shot at Quebec splitting from Canada. It's a single-issue comment, not a left-right political parties comment.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Feelin' the Bern!

Highlights: Announcement next week on party name/logo, claims to have raised $90k already. One former MP will run, three CPC MPs said to be considering defection.

:getin:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

bunnyofdoom posted:

Feelin' the Bern!

Highlights: Announcement next week on party name/logo, claims to have raised $90k already. One former MP will run, three CPC MPs said to be considering defection.

:getin:

So excited for a racist xenophobic party that might actually attract media attention and prominent support! Based on my meticulous record of watching every West Wing episode ever and my solemn commitment to never learn anything from 2016 I have determined that this can mean only good things for the country.

Like, for fucks sake, even if this does help Trudeau win the next election don't any of you people realize politics occurs on a longer time scale than four years? If I had to choose I would rather Scheer run the country than have a genuine hard right party emerge at exactly the moment in history when hard right parties are rapidly gaining support.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Hell, gently caress using Trump as an example, remember when almost everyone in this thread was delighted that Brown got replaced by Ford?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

vyelkin posted:

yeah the PQ, so good and left-wing that last time they were in office they enacted austerity and tried to pass the Quebec Charter of Values

Welcome to :quebec: where the PQ lost government over that poo poo and the liberals jacked up the austerity even harder and the CAQ likely will do the same over “tax cuts”, and where all the big three decided hating on Muslims was cool and good.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Helsing posted:

So excited for a racist xenophobic party that might actually attract media attention and prominent support! Based on my meticulous record of watching every West Wing episode ever and my solemn commitment to never learn anything from 2016 I have determined that this can mean only good things for the country.

Like, for fucks sake, even if this does help Trudeau win the next election don't any of you people realize politics occurs on a longer time scale than four years? If I had to choose I would rather Scheer run the country than have a genuine hard right party emerge at exactly the moment in history when hard right parties are rapidly gaining support.

Personally, I am more hoping that like this shines a light on some of the more egregious poo poo.

Helsing posted:

Hell, gently caress using Trump as an example, remember when almost everyone in this thread was delighted that Brown got replaced by Ford?

The different here is that Ford replaced Brown, not Ford created his own party. The Trump example also is that he didn't go off and create his own party either.

This is more early 90's con split then Trump/Ford.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

It was hilarious, and the party immediately devolved into an orgy of backstabbing, ripping itself to shreds. Then the conservative voters of Ontario dutifully lined up, shrugged their shoulders, and voted conservative because literally nothing will ever prevent them from voting PCPO.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hell, you don't even have to go past that exact Starticle to find some ominous notes on Bernier's new party.

quote:

Published Tuesday, it found 22 per cent of Canadians believe there is a need for a new conservative party federally, and 17 per cent of Canadians are open to voting for a Bernier-led conservative party. While a majority disagreed there is a need or that they would be open to voting for such a party, the apparent willingness of a good chunk of people (and not just those who identify as Conservative-leaning voters) was hailed by Bernier.

[...]

On the weekend Bernier, who broke from Conservative ranks last month, encouraged Conservative party supporters to turn aside their fear that the rise of a new conservative vote vehicle will only result in Justin Trudeau’s Liberals getting re-elected.

“First, the split has already happened,” said Bernier. “Denying it will not make it go away. If what you want is a real alternative to Trudeau, then you should join me and encourage everyone you know to do the same. The faster the shift happens, the less splitting there will be next year.”

He argued the new party would take votes away not only from the Andrew Scheer-led Conservatives, but from Liberals and other parties, and would motivate what he said was the 35 per cent of voters who stay home on election day.

“Gaining new votes will make the difference,” said Bernier. “My new party will be up and running very soon. You will then have a choice: A party with a weak leader and weak ideas. Or a party with a strong leader and strong ideas. If you choose weakness over strength, you will be splitting the vote for a real alternative to Trudeau.”

A poll finds up to 17% of Canadians open to voting for Bernier, and that's likely to rise as more people learn what has happened. It's not just CPC voters who are open to the appeal of libertarian racism, either. Bernier, just like all the recent populists who have seen success electorally, has gone straight to the "the centre-left and centre-right parties are the same" well, and on top of that has started shouting about how we need a "strong leader" instead of a "weak" one, which plays right into preexisting ideas in our political culture of Trudeau and Scheer as weak (effeminate) men.

My back-of-a-napkin prediction for the next decade of Canadian politics is that this helps Trudeau win the next election because it splits the vote, but that also makes Scheer and the CPC look extremely weak, Bernier becomes the new face of Canadian conservatism, and libertarian racism becomes the overt conservative platform instead of just the dogwhistle subtext. And that's a pretty horrendous look for whatever election follows 2019.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1037352944658722817
ffs

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Personally, I am more hoping that like this shines a light on some of the more egregious poo poo.

So is Bernier.

Hoping people go for it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Well that's just loving great.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Munk School: Giving a platform to the most odious poo poo in the name of liberalism

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Will Bernier's party be appreciably more racist/sexist than the CPC? So far the main difference spoken of is the supply management/corporate welfare stuff. What has Bernier's position been in the past on abortion, immigration, reconcilliation etc?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Re immigration: He dropped the mic after declaring that perhaps Canada was already too diverse.

I'm guessing the way Helsing and others see this playing out is the same as the old Conservative/Reform split. Harder-right splinters off, they both wander around in the wilderness for an electoral cycle or two, then merge with the harder-right now controlling the party. They form the government after the Liberals spend a decade slowly shifting ever rightward themselves finally poo poo the bed messily enough to piss people off.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 5, 2018

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

bunnyofdoom posted:

This is more early 90's con split then Trump/Ford.

And how did that turn out?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Duck Rodgers posted:

What has Bernier's position been in the past on abortion, immigration, reconcilliation etc?

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/978636578460487681

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1032043220614762496

https://twitter.com/Leask/status/834087839310688256

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I skimmed over the discussions about banning handguns and colonial reparations. My solution to both problems is to give native canadians guns

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the info. Not sure how I forgot about the diversity comments given it was so recent and so widely reported. Maybe I celebrated unions and labour too hard this past weekend.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, now that I read it, I oppose to his usage of the term social engineering, as an actual social engineer (aka professional liar.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Yes the problem with reserves and by extension First Nations people is definitely that there's not enough capitalist middle managers and land lords exploiting them.