Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Wasn't the world first Ultimate clear done by a dark knight at a time when people were crying about how bad dark knights were and not worth bringing on raids. And suddenly everyone started talking about how solid dark knights were almost as if most players are clueless about game balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Blockhouse posted:

Looking at a collection of all the leaks posted on the FFXIV reddit BLU is specifically "melee support DPS" so I think it's a safe bet that they're going to go with the FFXI middle eastern-esque style and they'll share gear with ninjas

Nothing about BLU is really DEX-y, though? I think it’s much more likely that BLU would share with MNK and be another STR main dps. If we get DNC, I would expect them to share with NIN (don’t see them making DNC a healer, sorry) leaving the Gunblade job as a plate wearing tank.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DapperDuck posted:

Nothing about BLU is really DEX-y, though?

Their hallmark FFXI weapon was curved swords, which screams "nimble, dexterous fighter."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DapperDuck posted:

Nothing about BLU is really DEX-y, though?

Gonna have to disagree with you there.

Also the exact same leak is the healer dancer thing so if we're operating under the assumption that any one of these are true. well, it's all from the same source.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Wasn't the world first Ultimate clear done by a dark knight at a time when people were crying about how bad dark knights were and not worth bringing on raids. And suddenly everyone started talking about how solid dark knights were almost as if most players are clueless about game balance

yes and it is still the best thing

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Even if DRK was somehow super awful mathematically, The Blackest Night is rad and I feel like a hero every time I slap someone with it only to see them survive with a sliver of health.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Xun posted:

Few pages late but what sword is that?

That's the i350 craftable Nightsteel sword. It shares a model with the ARR Zeta relic Excalibur. You can probably get one for about half a mil on the MB, but I imagine the mats are a bit cheaper than that by now if you know someone who can craft it.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Also, if I remember right, the guy playing the DRK was asked about it and he said he finds DRK fun to play so that's why he used it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Looking at a collection of all the leaks posted on the FFXIV reddit BLU is specifically "melee support DPS" so I think it's a safe bet that they're going to go with the FFXI middle eastern-esque style and they'll share gear with ninjas

While I've liked the idea of BLU Tanks, this seems kind of plausible with no-one sharing that gear yet, isn't there also that place that got put on the full version map unshrouded that's basically the fantasy middle east of XIV?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

While I've liked the idea of BLU Tanks, this seems kind of plausible with no-one sharing that gear yet, isn't there also that place that got put on the full version map unshrouded that's basically the fantasy middle east of XIV?

Thavnair, yeah. My personal bet is on the next expac taking place there and either the interior of Ilsabard or Meracydia (though the former seems more likely with how they're currently setting the table).

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Ehh, I hope they only focus on one region/continent in 5.0. I generally like Stormblood, but I feel like the split between Gyr Abania and Doma really kinda mangled the MSQ. It felt scattered and like they half-assed two stories instead of whole-assing one.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Blue Mage could still be Thavnairian without necessarily having to go to Thavnair in 5.0

Hell Red Mage is Ala Mhigan and debuted in the Ala Mhigo expansion and you spend like 95% of those quests in Limsa or Ishgard.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Don't worry, we're definitely going to Garlemald next expansion.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Ehh, I hope they only focus on one region/continent in 5.0. I generally like Stormblood, but I feel like the split between Gyr Abania and Doma really kinda mangled the MSQ. It felt scattered and like they half-assed two stories instead of whole-assing one.

I went in not really expecting to be as invested in the Doma sections, and ended up liking that part much better than the Ala Mhigo stuff. The Doma setting/story reminded me a little bit of the Suikoden series.

Meanwhile, the Ala Mhigo plot was OK, but lacked compelling characters aside from Raubahn. Seemed like Lyse was pinch-hitting for Minfilia as the Bland Blond of the expansion.

I do think two more regions in 5.0 would be a Bad Idea considering how thinly everyone is spread out as it is with Ishgard + Gyr + Doma + all the ARR stuff.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I hope for more Fordola soon, just to hear her great voice and accent.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Leofish posted:

I hope for more Fordola soon, just to hear her great voice and accent.

She's in one of the stories they just published.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There are specific Thavnair and Garlemald embassies in Kugane and they're going to get used.

Thavnair is a relatively small place iirc so having them be the springboard into Ilsabard for 5.0 is entirely feasible.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
player skill pretty much always trumps class balance in this game and every standard composition is viable

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
that doesnt mean that making warrior the best at everything forever in every patch until the end of time is a good thing

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

that doesnt mean that making warrior the best at everything forever in every patch until the end of time is a good thing

Why even play Warrior anymore in a world without Fracture?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Holmgang having the same cooldown as Sentinel is actually perfectly balanced.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Thavnair is a relatively small place iirc so having them be the springboard into Ilsabard for 5.0 is entirely feasible.

(some minor mislabelings like "The Born")
It's always mostly an issue of scale. Thavnair is roughly the size or larger than one of the Eorzean city-states, but then, so are Yanxia and the Azim Steppe and they get 1 zone apiece. Could always have Radz-at-Han and Thavnair, though, and still have plenty of room to climb up to Garlemald proper. It's a big continent.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Blockhouse posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you there.

Also the exact same leak is the healer dancer thing so if we're operating under the assumption that any one of these are true. well, it's all from the same source.

Maybe it’s the D&D in me speaking, but that is definitely a slashing sword which equates to a STR build as opposed to a piercing sword (like RDM’s Rapier) which would be DEX-based.

Also, show me where he says DNC is a healer in the leak? DNCs have traditionally not been primary healers, rather a dps/debuff hybrid with off healing capabilities. Coupled with traditionally using daggers, I envision them as yet another DPS, using DEX main. I couldn’t see them using MND or SE making another DEX set for just a healer. It also doesn’t make sense that SE would add two jobs that use the same stat in an expansion, which furthers my theory that BLU would use leather STR (also MNK has no competition for it so far).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

if dancer isn't a healer i riot

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DapperDuck posted:

Maybe it’s the D&D in me speaking, but that is definitely a slashing sword which equates to a STR build as opposed to a piercing sword (like RDM’s Rapier) which would be DEX-based.

Also, show me where he says DNC is a healer in the leak? DNCs have traditionally not been primary healers, rather a dps/debuff hybrid with off healing capabilities. Coupled with traditionally using daggers, I envision them as yet another DPS, using DEX main. I couldn’t see them using MND or SE making another DEX set for just a healer. It also doesn’t make sense that SE would add two jobs that use the same stat in an expansion, which furthers my theory that BLU would use leather STR (also MNK has no competition for it so far).

There's no reason to expect jobs to be designed to perfectly match how they worked in previous games. See: red mage

Also monk and samurai share their gear now. Dragoon and Ninja are the only current jobs with unique leftside gear. Of those two, my guess is that blue mage would be more likely to get ninja stuff if they don't get a new set entirely.

Dancer sharing gear with monk would make sense thematically but honestly I have no idea where they plan to go with it other than that I will Dance Through The Danger as soon as they let me.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I hope any DPS they make in the near future shares gear with other classes. Loot tables are bloated enough already.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

WrightOfWay posted:

I hope any DPS they make in the near future shares gear with other classes. Loot tables are bloated enough already.

If they were smart they would realize everyone just glams bikinis and cute dresses regardless and merge all the melee dps into one gear set.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
To this day I don't know why scouting gear even exists. MNK and NIN sharing gear for all pre 2.4 gear would have been fine, what was wrong with just continuing that? I mean poo poo the Scouting and Striking sets were just recolors of each other like 95% of the time anyways. What we really need is for them to just say gently caress it and make all the STR classes use the same set and put Ninja on Aiming gear.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 5, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress no, I don't want my awesome, pure Bard having to share armor designs with Ninja

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DapperDuck posted:

It is absolutely the D&D speaking. Ninjas use daggers and like 99% of their attacks are slashing to the point that they cause a slashing damage resist debuff.

Here is the pastebin collection all the BluFever Gamefaqs posts. (Disclaimer: it was put together by 4chan but you can google the snippets to find the original gamefaqs threads.)

e: given how super whiny and desperate for attention this dude comes off as I'm going to assume he's not like a secretly disgruntled S-E employee or something

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 5, 2018

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Arist posted:

if dancer isn't a healer i riot

I want it to be a tank

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Axle_Stukov posted:

To this day I don't know why scouting gear even exists. MNK and NIN sharing gear for all pre 2.4 gear would have been fine, what was wrong with just continuing that? I mean poo poo the Scouting and Striking sets were just recolors of each other like 95% of the time anyways. What we really need is for them to just say gently caress it and make all the STR classes use the same set and put Ninja on Aiming gear.

Aesthetics.
People get really really hung up on aesthetics. Same with DRG and MNK having split leftside gear at this point.

I was surprised that SAM went with MNK's striking but the aesthetics fit (and I glam Makai Mauler pretty much 100% of the time) when they could have gone with the heavier lamellar coat style of samurai.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Radz-at-Han was something like Kugane where you just get a big city and that's it for our exploration of Thavnair.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Here is the pastebin collection all the BluFever Gamefaqs posts. (Disclaimer: it was put together by 4chan but you can google the snippets to find the original gamefaqs threads.)

e: given how super whiny and desperate for attention this dude comes off as I'm going to assume he's not like a secretly disgruntled S-E employee or something
Running theory is that he has a back-channel somewhere. He recently made his posting history private after complaining that he had to stop posting leaks or Mr. Happy's "sheeple" would be going on a witch hunt for him and then someone else said that it wouldn't be the first time GameFAQs has provided information for an official investigation. (I have no opinion on Mr. Happy, but looking up the video in question, he really only says that Square-Enix should be trying to tamp down on whoever's leaking from the company, and that he feels that BluFever probably isn't the original source.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vermain posted:

Their hallmark FFXI weapon was curved swords, which screams "nimble, dexterous fighter."

Did you see those blue mages from Thavnaria? They have curved swords. Curved. Swords.

Also jesus SE do we need even more dps classes in this game? Let tanks and healers have some cool toys.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Leal posted:

Also jesus SE do we need even more dps classes in this game? Let tanks and healers have some cool toys.

I mean....it's an MMO, man. It just makes sense to make more DPS jobs than tank/healer because 90% of the playerbase of literally every MMO ever refuses to touch a role other than "cool anime hero that does tons of damage and has the epic finishing move".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also because it's probably easier to come up with mechanically distinct ways to deal damage vs meaningfully different ways to tank, unless you design the game from the ground up to account for radically different tanking options (they did not).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Leal posted:

Did you see those blue mages from Thavnaria? They have curved swords. Curved. Swords.

Assuming all of this is true and tanks are getting the loving gunblade class I think that covers "cool toy" pretty strongly

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

I was surprised that SAM went with MNK's striking but the aesthetics fit (and I glam Makai Mauler pretty much 100% of the time) when they could have gone with the heavier lamellar coat style of samurai.

My dearest wish is that class restrictions are removed for glamouring, so I can wear the Asuran tank gear on my samurai.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the curved sabre, used only by nimble, dextrous fighters like hussars and heavy cavalry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

the curved sabre, used only by nimble, dextrous fighters like hussars and heavy cavalry

Ah, my two favorite, extremely common heroic fantasy archetypes