Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

papa horny michael posted:

Sane moderate Mike Pence writing the NYT op-ed letting the american public know that Adults are working around the clock to ensure Mr. Trump doesn't break anything. So there's really no need to impeach.

this is loving stupid, the NYT says his job would be in danger and there is absolutely no mechanism for a president to remove a vice president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is loving stupid, the NYT says his job would be in danger and there is absolutely no mechanism for a president to remove a vice president

would you say its his...lodestar?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Actually I saw President Bartlet successfully do just that.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Venom Snake posted:

What matters most for Bernie is he has a national profile and lots of recognition. The average primary vote could probably describe him and his policies to you. You can't say the same for Kamala Harris or Corey Booker.

well the more concerning part for him is that he is very well known but he doesn't have a dominant position in polling. if you already know a lot about bernie but aren't willing to back him now, why would you be more likely to back him once the other candidates start making their own pitches? if i had to guess the trajectory of 2020, it would be that bernie will be continue to be dominant in grassroots fundraising but will have a fairly low support ceiling. the dnc rules are less friendly to a candidate winning with small pluralities than the gop's. so the biggest threat to him would be starting out as one of the frontrunners in the summer of '19 and then falling behind as the field begins to consolidate in the early primary season.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

papa horny michael posted:

Actually I saw President Bartlet successfully do just that.

wasn't that because the VP pulled a petraeus

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nothus posted:

We're not even considering the random celebrities that are going to try a vanity run. If Donald Trump can do it, literally anyone with any sort of fame has a shot.

We're going to need a world cup style tournament bracket.

makes me wonder how many celebs are watching nixon v cuomo outcome to see if they might run

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Concerned Citizen posted:

the primary isn't gonna break up into any kind of discernable factions because most people don't pick candidates in primaries via ideology, and donor/political relationships are driven more by personal friendships. it's gonna be a huge mess that will just sort of shake itself out in 8-9 months in what will likely be an unpredictable manner.
it's gonna own

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

well the more concerning part for him is that he is very well known but he doesn't have a dominant position in polling. if you already know a lot about bernie but aren't willing to back him now, why would you be more likely to back him once the other candidates start making their own pitches? if i had to guess the trajectory of 2020, it would be that bernie will be continue to be dominant in grassroots fundraising but will have a fairly low support ceiling. the dnc rules are less friendly to a candidate winning with small pluralities than the gop's. so the biggest threat to him would be starting out as one of the frontrunners in the summer of '19 and then falling behind as the field begins to consolidate in the early primary season.

economic immiseration is accelerating and he credibly advocates for reforming the system. he'll win.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
but we're probably going to wind up with mark cuban or somebody stupid

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

well this whole lodestar experience has given me a great insight into just how loving insane anyone that follows this poo poo appears to normal people. congrats trump on your re-election

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/BrowofJustice/status/1037450054137733120

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yea the VP resigned due to cheating on his wife, he wasn't "removed" in fact Bartlett and Leo offer to try to cover it up for him so he can stay VP.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i wouldn't bet on the honesty and integrity of the NYT Opinion editors

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yep.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

but we're probably going to wind up with mark cuban or somebody stupid

Even worse the Dems will retool some former Republicans who'll hold office for a year or two before gaining the presidency in a bipartisan show of support for sane adults.

quote:

John McCain’s former chief of staff said Wednesday that he is considering running for the Senate as a Democrat as he grapples with Donald Trump’s presidency and the death of the Arizona senator. Grant Woods, who is also a former Arizona attorney general, said in an interview that he has spoken to several Democratic senators about the idea, including Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.). Woods supported Hillary Clinton’s campaign for president and said he has been troubled by Trump in recent years. McCain’s passing has led him to consider “whether I need to step up at this point in time,” he said.

papa horny michael fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 5, 2018

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not really sure you can look at the historically poor performance of establishment candidates across the board in primaries and say that "yes this is good for Bernie challengers"

We live in the parody universe ofc so we could very well have someone try to outflank bernie on the left lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the fyad prodromal schizophrenia post but its the trump thread

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

WampaLord posted:

Yea the VP resigned due to cheating on his wife, he wasn't "removed" in fact Bartlett and Leo offer to try to cover it up for him so he can stay VP.

Its amazing how quaint that plot seems now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Venom Snake posted:

I'm not really sure you can look at the historically poor performance of establishment candidates across the board in primaries and say that "yes this is good for Bernie challengers"

We live in the parody universe ofc so we could very well have someone try to outflank bernie on the left lol

there should be people left of bernie running for office

they sure as hell won't come from the establishment however

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

congrats trump on your re-election

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Lastgirl posted:

everyone whining about avenatti just doesn't see the chaos comedy factor of it all

Nah, we need a reality tv liberal dingbat for this.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

tulsi gabbard will run a peronist, third-positionist campaign and win in a landslide

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
or like an american version of the five-star movement.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Scary! posted:

Are there any good essays on the subject of symbolism/ the abuse of language to ruin the meaning of words? The most recent debacle over Zina Dash has made more curious
i've only seen a bunch of stuff about the general aims of propaganda and specific instances of propaganda but not really specifically about the mechanics and reasons for rendering words meaningless or taboo among the proles

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Venom Snake posted:

there will almost certainly be people trying to outflank bernie on the left, probably on guns and immigration. but i do not agree that "establishment candidates across the board" are performing poorly. the vast majority still won their races, mostly by a lot.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

etalian posted:

meanwhile in inspiring centrist leadership land

https://twitter.com/ColeStangler/status/1036902646693748736

lol way sub trump numbers

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Multiple people in my Facebook feed have linked this article unironically

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

unless bernie dies before the DNC he's probably gonna win in a field with 20 indistinguishable centrists splitting votes and funding

avenatti throws a wrench into things but hopefully primary voters don't get huckstered (they are definitely going to get huckstered)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

unless bernie dies before the DNC he's probably gonna win in a field with 20 indistinguishable centrists splitting votes and funding

avenatti throws a wrench into things but hopefully primary voters don't get huckstered (they are definitely going to get huckstered)

what are the odds that we see more than one WaPo/NYT editorial where an incensed lanyard blames Avenatti's nomination on Bernie

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

there will almost certainly be people trying to outflank bernie on the left, probably on guns and immigration. but i do not agree that "establishment candidates across the board" are performing poorly. the vast majority still won their races, mostly by a lot.
The races weren't national races

I believe it was fairly obvious it was across the board in terms of national polling for 2020 hopefuls, not in their local elections where they tend to be at least more accountable and personable towards the voters themselves.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Pence is such a perfect VP for Trump, he's a quiet bootlicker who doesn't ever try and show up the boss and brings alot of fundie cred so I don't see him going anywhere (even if Trump could fire him, which he can't) .You don't need 2 exciting candidates on the same ticket. But it's also not impossible that he dumps Pence as a running mate in 2020 because Newt went on the teevee and said some nice things about him so who the gently caress knows.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

Pence is such a perfect VP for Trump, he's a quiet bootlicker who doesn't ever try and show up the boss and brings alot of fundie cred so I don't see him going anywhere (even if Trump could fire him, which he can't) .You don't need 2 exciting candidates on the same ticket. But it's also not impossible that he dumps Pence as a running mate in 2020 because Newt went on the teevee and said some nice things about him so who the gently caress knows.

that would require trump to tell pence hes being replaced and trump is too much of a coward

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

etalian posted:

meanwhile in inspiring centrist leadership land

https://twitter.com/ColeStangler/status/1036902646693748736

France is just going to circulate through parties because their country is a fuckshow of dysfunction

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

one 2020 candidate is already coming around to the idea of packing the Supreme Court

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1037193404235620352

now I know how the GOP voters felt about Trump in 2015

Unironically think bernie should offer basta the VP slot.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that would require trump to tell pence hes being replaced and trump is too much of a coward

he might do it by mail if pence is on the other side of the world

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

reignonyourparade posted:

Unironically think bernie should offer basta the VP slot.

unironically think bernie shouldn't give him poo poo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zoran posted:

unironically think bernie shouldn't give him poo poo

I think bernie should give him poo poo

literally I mean

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Five star is trump-light by way of online pol.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Despite asking about this numerous times I still don't understand it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Yinlock posted:

he might do it by mail if pence is on the other side of the world

don't be stupid, he would tweet it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ThndrShk2k posted:

The races weren't national races

I believe it was fairly obvious it was across the board in terms of national polling for 2020 hopefuls, not in their local elections where they tend to be at least more accountable and personable towards the voters themselves.

i interpret "I'm not really sure you can look at the historically poor performance of establishment candidates across the board in primaries" as referring to past primaries, not primary polling. but even so, the only other person being polled that any knows is biden. most people still do not recognize warren, booker, etc. and biden is usually running about even with bernie in the low 20s or teens. i think people are very open to an alternative to either.