Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
Just finished History of Rome. Remember it being kind of rough and awkwardly done in the early going, but came away feeling like I appreciate Duncan's dry-but-comprehensive style over Carlin's melodrama.

My one nitpick on Duncan is his tendency to "spoil" his narrative by saying things like ...and by the way, this guy kills that guy five years from now... Even where I already new a lot of that stuff, it just tripped up the flow somewhat. Does he still do that in Revolutions? Thinking of starting that soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Blues Hammer posted:

Just finished History of Rome. Remember it being kind of rough and awkwardly done in the early going, but came away feeling like I appreciate Duncan's dry-but-comprehensive style over Carlin's melodrama.

My one nitpick on Duncan is his tendency to "spoil" his narrative by saying things like ...and by the way, this guy kills that guy five years from now... Even where I already new a lot of that stuff, it just tripped up the flow somewhat. Does he still do that in Revolutions? Thinking of starting that soon.

Not as much, though there's occasionally a "...and this other guy was there too. Remember him for later."

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I find the idea of being spoiled on events that took place 2000 years ago very entertaining.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Blues Hammer posted:

Does he still do that in Revolutions? Thinking of starting that soon.

A little bit, at least in the France series. Though the spoilers are more like footnotes rather than narrative-ruiners. Except he did prematurely spoil the fate of King Louis XVI.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

uPen posted:

I find the idea of being spoiled on events that took place 2000 years ago very entertaining.

"If I haven't seen it, it's new to me!"

Seriously one of the things Carlin is really good at is pulling the human drama out of ancient events and putting it at the forefront. It's more fun of you don't know how a particular person leaves the stage. Sure, everybody knows what happened to Julius Caesar or Cleopatra, but the lesser known figures have cool stories that benefit from being told dramatically.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

buglord posted:

A little bit, at least in the France series. Though the spoilers are more like footnotes rather than narrative-ruiners. Except he did prematurely spoil the fate of King Louis XVI.

I'd have a hard time believing that anyone interested enough in history to listen to an in-depth podcast like Revolutions wouldn't already be at least partially aware of what happened to Louis and Marie Antoinette

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

webmeister posted:

I'd have a hard time believing that anyone interested enough in history to listen to an in-depth podcast like Revolutions wouldn't already be at least partially aware of what happened to Louis and Marie Antoinette

They make it out okay, right? :ohdear:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
They went to live on a palace upstate somewhere

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mike Duncan was the only reason why I watched the second season of Roman Empire on Netflix. It's pretty much a run-of-the-mill history dad narrative of the life of Julius Caesar, with one of the talking heads they used to give the story credibility being an author of a certified New York Times Best Seller.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Appoda posted:

They make it out okay, right? :ohdear:

Yeah, they're still alive iirc

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

webmeister posted:

They went to live on a palace upstate somewhere

All he had to do was not get out of the drat carriage.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

all he had to do was stay in paris, where he was still reasonably popular and seen as Big Papa despite a few close shaves

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Are there any good podcasts on Islamic history or theology? Or religious studies in general really.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZeusJupitar posted:

Are there any good podcasts on Islamic history or theology? Or religious studies in general really.

Seconding this question. I've been looking for a good podcast on religious history/comparative religion for ages.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Semi relatedly, I was listening to Sunday School Dropouts which is supposed to be a comedic and (at least implied) informational podcast but I couldn’t make it past the first episode. The premise interested me because one of the hosts is also an ex catholic/Christian and I think that offers an interesting perspective when talking about the bible.

But instead it’s just like “they had SEX lol”. Or talking about how weird it is that eve’s kid or whatever was 800 years old. Don’t get me wrong I love myself some biblical dick jokes and butt jokes about Our Lord but I was really hoping for something more academic.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Anyone who dropped The RFK Tapes because it seemed like the host was too credulous about the conspiracies should give it another try. He does a good job in the later episodes of discounting and explaining the inconsistencies and ultimately finds them unconvincing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In our time has a ton of Islamic issues podcasts. They just had an excellent one on the Merovingians.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Prairie Bus posted:

Anyone who dropped The RFK Tapes because it seemed like the host was too credulous about the conspiracies should give it another try. He does a good job in the later episodes of discounting and explaining the inconsistencies and ultimately finds them unconvincing.

It's almost become more of a documentary about the RFK conspiracy community than about the RFK assassination, which has suited it pretty well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been listening to season 2 of Slow Burn about the Clinton impeachment scandal and it's actually eye-opening in many ways: there's so much poo poo that's been memory-holed, and everything is adorably simple and straight-forward compared to all the things that have happened afterwards.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chazani posted:

I couldn't finish History of Rome because of his narration, occasional smacks and the breathing sounds. Admittedly, I do have ADHD and all those little annoyances made me lose focus on the content, on which there is no fault.

I didn't notice any of those things before someone mentioned them in this thread.

It wasn't bothering me until I got to the first Punic War, at which point he seems to have decided to make a podcast about wet mouth noises. :barf:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sulphagnist posted:

I've been listening to season 2 of Slow Burn about the Clinton impeachment scandal and it's actually eye-opening in many ways: there's so much poo poo that's been memory-holed, and everything is adorably simple and straight-forward compared to all the things that have happened afterwards.

Oh I didn't know there was a 2nd season, I guess I'll check that out.

I may have gotten the recommendation from this very thread, but if not, The Wild Episode is a good if clumsily named podcast. The topic is zoology, and each episode the presenter and his dry sense of humour go over the strange and cool and horrifying creatures that inhabit our world. I find it very enjoyable.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I may have gotten the recommendation from this very thread, but if not, The Wild Episode is a good if clumsily named podcast. The topic is zoology, and each episode the presenter and his dry sense of humour go over the strange and cool and horrifying creatures that inhabit our world. I find it very enjoyable.

Yes! I plugged it at least twice. I'm glad someone else likes it. He's done about 1 a month for the summer, but after the September episode, which should hit in a few weeks, he plans on going back to bi-weekly, so the content is going to start picking up. The content is great, but I'm personally just surprised by the production value. It's not a major podcast like something off of Slate or Ear Wolf or whatever, but it's all just very crisp sounding and well put together.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

buglord posted:

Semi relatedly, I was listening to Sunday School Dropouts which is supposed to be a comedic and (at least implied) informational podcast but I couldn’t make it past the first episode. The premise interested me because one of the hosts is also an ex catholic/Christian and I think that offers an interesting perspective when talking about the bible.

But instead it’s just like “they had SEX lol”. Or talking about how weird it is that eve’s kid or whatever was 800 years old. Don’t get me wrong I love myself some biblical dick jokes and butt jokes about Our Lord but I was really hoping for something more academic.

The ex-Christian host was very much not Catholic. And honestly throughout the whole series it becomes quite clear that their denomination really really did not read the bible itself all that much despite heavily referring to themselves as "bible-believing" and other terms like that. It's a whole interesting narrative as the show goes on that she really only read very scattershot sets of passages and single verses throughout her time as a Christian, but it's definitely not what you'd expect from the stated premise of the show. And that kinda takes a long while to become interesting as neither of them really understand that's what happened with her until like a year into it.

And of course there's a bunch of the "I can pretty much just say the specific church I went to represents all Christian churches" narrative to it as well but at least she grows out of that as the series goes on. It's also kinda funny how the lapsed Jewish guy who was never all that big into religion in the past clearly has a lot better grasp on like the Bible in particular (even the new testament stuff he barely touched) and Christianity as practiced in general than the ex-Christian does.

So I guess ultimately what I like about it is that they completely by accident are telling a much different and more interesting story about religion than they thought they were going to do, and they still don't really realize they're doing that.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

ZeusJupitar posted:

Not exactly what you are looking for, but Historiansplaining is a good podcast that frequently has religious history topics. There are a couple of episodes about the origins of Islam, other episodes about the origins of Judaism, the bible, Jesus, Luther, the Catholic counter-reformation, as well as lots of episodes about the Middle Ages and so on that take the religious views and motivations of the people involved into account in a very human way. The presenter is a history lecturer by trade, so as you may expect this podcast is more like a series of lectures than some other podcasts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On that subject, what about a general history of religion sort of podcast? I'm interested in modern religions forming from ancient ones, but maybe moreso from the perspective of why than how.

Would Historiansplaining be along those lines?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 29, 2018

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

buglord posted:

The Bible Geek might be up your alley

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Human Bible by the same guy was good, and intended for beginners to academic biblical criticism, but every time I tried to get into the Bible Geek itself, it seemed to be about the host more than the material.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

PerilPastry posted:

Melvyn Bragg is completely insufferable as an interviewer.

The format is a lot more open and in terms of topics, it's more pop science than history but I really enjoy "The Infinite Monkey Cage". They get excellent guests.

Bragg serves a pretty useful purpose, which is he tees up an old orthodox standpoint for people to come in and knock down. But the main differentiator is just the expertise of the guests vs literally all other podcasts.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Bragg serves a pretty useful purpose, which is he tees up an old orthodox standpoint for people to come in and knock down. But the main differentiator is just the expertise of the guests vs literally all other podcasts.

I love Mervyn, but the disdain he has when he's forced to do an episode about exact sciences is palpable.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

I love Mervyn, but the disdain he has when he's forced to do an episode about exact sciences is palpable.

The p v np ep where he halts all discussion to admit he can’t comprehend exponential growth is an all-timer, along with the time he described the early colonization of africa as “nibbles round the rim”

also he was the screenwriter for jesus christ superstar cmon

Lizzy
Jun 4, 2006

IRON MAN
31/10 never forget
I quite like American history tellers, any more like it ?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

ZeusJupitar posted:

Check out the section of the history of philosophy without any gaps on Islamic philosophy.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

WEH posted:

The p v np ep where he halts all discussion to admit he can’t comprehend exponential growth is an all-timer, along with the time he described the early colonization of africa as “nibbles round the rim”

also he was the screenwriter for jesus christ superstar cmon

I think he almost got hostile towards one of the professors specifically and science in general during the Dark energy or Dark matter episode. Classic Mervyn.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Is there anything good for Stuart England outside of the first seasion of Revolutions? I'm particularly interested in the civil wars and witchcraft.

History of Britain is nowhere near that era yet, Dan Carlin's nowhere near, I don't listen to anything else similar.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

number one pta fan posted:

Is there anything good for Stuart England outside of the first seasion of Revolutions? I'm particularly interested in the civil wars and witchcraft.

As far as the last one, The History of Witchcraft's got you covered. Highly recommended.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lizzy posted:

I quite like American history tellers, any more like it ?

I think Tides of History and The Fall of Rome podcasts are similar.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1044288951962394624

New Hardcore History Addendum episode

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Not his strongest outing. I found it suffered from the same issues as did (the first part of) Painfotainment. The whole "just imagine if you were there" thing repeated continuously. Yes, I have already imagined it, 30 minutes into the show with no new details, I don't need to be prompted to imagine it again. And in this one he didn't even say how the story ended-- how were these guys rescued?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
God loving dammit I now have the brain worms you people have that make it so I can't stop hearing Mike Duncan's mouth sounds. What the gently caress! gently caress you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Count Roland posted:

Not his strongest outing. I found it suffered from the same issues as did (the first part of) Painfotainment. The whole "just imagine if you were there" thing repeated continuously. Yes, I have already imagined it, 30 minutes into the show with no new details, I don't need to be prompted to imagine it again. And in this one he didn't even say how the story ended-- how were these guys rescued?

I didn't finish Painfotainment, and zoned out while listening to his Asia episode. Especially the Asia one goddamn those analogies were so bad. Maybe he should take a break.