Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

deathbagel posted:

With the new Roguetech crit rules, where weapons can crit while you still have armor, CASE is essential (I have CASE II on all of my mechs, my LRM boat has an entire torso just full of ammo with one slot for CASE II and I refuse to add more ammo due to the fact that you can only put one CASE II on a mech for some reason)

Note that Through Armor Criticals are more likely to happen the weaker the armor, making glass cannon mechs even more vulnerable. RogueTech has a ton of 'volatile' equipment which gets treated as an ammo explosion,not only damaging the pilot but also helping to panic him into ejecting. And crits to heat mitigating equipment ADD heat as an additional effect.

I need to see if Tandem Charge SRM ammo is more worth it than Deadfire. I like Deadfire because with rare +4 damage racks you can get 18 damage a missile. But if through armor Criticals apply with +crit chance weapons than Tandem Charge will be better in spite of having less raw damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
God I hope there's a way to re-spec my mechwarriors when the skills update hits

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

binge crotching posted:

Good to know, I didn't realize it would take forever to refit it. It's only +10 damage and not +20, but I think it'll work. I'll buy it, and then wait to put it on until I finish the next mission. Plus that'll give me a chance to get some more Gunnery in my shooty guys, since they both only have the Multi-Target skill so far.

Sounds like a good plan. You don't need breaching shot (or even multi target) for the AC20. You just need a higher gunnery for AC20s. With 4xML on 70% (for example) to hit, you'll hit with about 3. With a single AC20 (same amount of damage), you've got a ~one in three chance to do nothing at all. I also suggest you take 3 tons of AC20 ammo so you don't have to worry about missing shots. Also remember that the Centurion has great melee and melee is much more accurate against small/fast targets.

RE refit times: the centurion comes stripped (maybe it has the MLs? don't remember). At this stage in the game, heavy modifications take ~15 days. If you add the AC20 to the SHD and move it to the Centurion, you're doing major refits on two mechs (you need the SHD, and will have to add weapons back to it), so you're looking at about month before you have all 4 mediums ready to go. This isn't counting any repairs you have to do due to the first story mission (if your Spider or Locust gets badly damaged, like torso loss, scrap em. They aren't worth the time/money to fix). With just one major refit (Centurion) and repairs, you'll probably have everything done or close to done after one or two jumps.

Organ Fiend fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 6, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm having a problem with the dz Consolidated Company modpack where when I first start the game I can't move my main character's mech and the others will only sometimes move by jumpjet, anyone know how to fix it? I followed the installation guide.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 6, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Compact KF Drives are lostech; they have to use JumpShips for force movements.

Clarification: circa 3045, do large states operate capital space supremacy ships other than WarShips, and if so do they regularly dock them to jumpships for interstellar travel?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Fighting in space before the clans show up is mostly fighters going at it. Sometimes Dropships, but those are usually more valuable for getting to planets.

The only way to get anything from point to point is a Jumpship, yeah.

Edit: The biggest combatant you'd see in the era are stuff like defense stations and platforms. But they're not going to be designed to maneuver, much less designed to jump.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 6, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Clarification: circa 3045, do large states operate capital space supremacy ships other than WarShips, and if so do they regularly dock them to jumpships for interstellar travel?

I think dedicated "Pocket Warships," dropships equipped with capital-scale weapons rather than transport bays, started going into production around the 3060's, but older dropship models may have undergone refits to become subcapital gunships before then.

Really though it's mostly ASFs.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Baron Porkface posted:

My knowledge is limited but I believe the majority of space theatre operations involve fighters attacking/defending dropships as they approach planets. Fighters can be atmosphere only, space only or both. The larger dropships have pretty terrifying amounts of ordinance as well, so sometimes these actions are pretty futile.

I would love to have airtech included in the game at some point. Early design ideas actually had you able to purchase fighters that would dock on your ship and act as an off-map callin in missions.

There was also a Really Cool sounding idea for hiring on mechanised mercanry companies for assistance in mission. For different price points you could be supported by NPC tanks and vehicles with different levels of experience. Being able to have LRM carriers backing you up, or Shreck's that you could protecet would be swwweeet.

Edit: Oh and your own Thumper Artillary unit that could do off map arty strikes for you.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 6, 2018

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

Do the large Battltech states operate captial ships without compact KF drives for intrasystem defense or capable of being transported by JumpShips?

Nope. The writers are very keen on not permitting monitors to exist in the space ruleset, because their existence would cut off everyone's offensive capability at the knees without some extensive foundational retcons of how interstellar warfare works.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just pictured mech space battles. Recreate the space shootout from Moonraker but with King Crabs, Battlemasters, and Hunchbacks drifting through space firing wildly at each other. It's stupid, impractical, and awesome.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

DeepThrobble posted:

Nope. The writers are very keen on not permitting monitors to exist in the space ruleset, because their existence would cut off everyone's offensive capability at the knees without some extensive foundational retcons of how interstellar warfare works.

This is what I as asking about and given how detailed everything is I'm glad they addressed it, even if the explanation is pretty sweaty.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

And Tyler Too! posted:

I just pictured mech space battles. Recreate the space shootout from Moonraker but with King Crabs, Battlemasters, and Hunchbacks drifting through space firing wildly at each other. It's stupid, impractical, and awesome.

There was a mission chain in Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries where you had to defend this glacier that was being transported to another planet, that took place in space. There was also the final mission in Ghost Bear Legacy where you were on the back of a spaceship and the enemy's ship looms overhead and starts raking everything everything with lasers; you needed to literally fly up inside the ship and take out an enemy mech inside to win.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DeepThrobble posted:

That’s smart. Probably the best way to handle it in-universe (aside from the complete logistical boondoggle angle which that article covers very well) is to give KF drives some indispensable property for large warships, without which monitors would be somehow impaired tactically or construction wise. It would probably need to be related to movement under thrust so as not to gently caress up large space stations...and as I think through the options I feel like maybe ‘complete logistical boondoggle’ is the safest way to go.

Really though, WarShips are so rare, and yet so prone to dying, that it’s probably ridiculous to imagine building a monitor which can never leave its home system. It’s useless offensively and a Reagan system is a better bet defensively.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Deflector shields don't exist in Battletech right? It seems like "torpedo boat economics" where offense is way stronger than defense would make WarShips frivolous even in the very small quantities they are portrayed with.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No shields, but since WarShips are very tough and have expensive KF drives it’s usually better to have a few good ones than a lot of cheap ones.

That said, pocket WarShips (huge dropships basically) and drone controlled WarShips are very effective and seriously bad news.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Glitch has the best voice acting but I like Dekker, too. He's always so casual about his light mech getting torn to shreds by SRM fire.

"That blew past my armor."

vs

"You can see daylight through my armor!"

Panfilo posted:

There was a mission chain in Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries where you had to defend this glacier that was being transported to another planet, that took place in space.

:argh: That mission chain sucked because your AI buddies would just run right off the edge of the glacier at random, then die 45 seconds later when they hit the ground from 2km up in the game engine.

Also that you were fighting AeroSpace fighters with, like, a Crab if you were lucky! Hope you brought LRMs, fucker.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Glitch has the best voice acting but I like Dekker, too. He's always so casual about his light mech getting torn to shreds by SRM fire.

"That blew past my armor."

vs

"You can see daylight through my armor!"
Wait, which is which, because I could've sworn Glitch says both of those?

Anyway, I like Behemoth being stoic about it.
"Craaap, that shot went internal. :geno:" said in much the same tone as someone who just realised they forgot to buy bread while they were at the store.

E: Then again, my Behemoth has survived two mechs being cored while she was still driving, so I suppose some structure damage would be just a minor inconvenience to her.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 6, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Baron Porkface posted:

Deflector shields don't exist in Battletech right? It seems like "torpedo boat economics" where offense is way stronger than defense would make WarShips frivolous even in the very small quantities they are portrayed with.

No scifi shields, and I really wouldn't bother to keep thinking about it. Battletech pre-dates the best organized effort to get real science and practical knowledge of spaceflight and space combat into the hands of hard sci-fi writers. So it's just riddled with impossible contradictions that make the handwavy parts of 100-ton fusion-powered robot tanks look downright realistic by comparison.

I doubt there's any way to resolve any of those contradictions without retconning pretty much everything about spaceships, so it's probably better to just let it lie as the "zoom pew boom" background to the stompy robot game.

However, torpedo boat economics do not necessarily work out in space even without shields, because the engagement envelope in space is huge.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Luigi Thirty posted:

The best voice actor is clearly the extremely Russian lady. When hit badly, instead of "I'm under heavy fire" or something generic, she's like "I just realized ... I'm sitting on a fusion reactor" with this incredulous laughter or "I'm doomed! ... dooooomed." When reserving "Sure! Just forget about me!" again with the incredulous tone.

Close runners up are extremely Brooklyn man ("Take that you mor-ahn"), creepily enthusiastic nerdy guy ("Welcome to my alpha strike!" "Goodnight sweet prince!"), and the very southern lady ("Ummmm hmmmm" "Oops, I made a mess").

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Organ Fiend posted:

extremely Brooklyn man ("Take that you mor-ahn")

is that VO actually good once you get in battle? I couldn't bear to hire someone with it, even when the guy looked extremely Jersey Shore and had the callsign Slick.
it just seems so over the top caricature from the responses on the hiring screen

I do wonder if there's some minor house in the IS that did the same thing as House Kurita and tried to create a unified culture among the people they ruled, but instead of medieval Japan they chose 20th century new york. as depicted in the only surviving cultural works from that time: Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

Organ Fiend posted:

and the very southern lady ("Ummmm hmmmm" "Oops, I made a mess").

I liked very southern man a whole lot.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

This is what I as asking about and given how detailed everything is I'm glad they addressed it, even if the explanation is pretty sweaty.

load bearing drywall engines

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

DeepThrobble posted:

Baron Porkface posted:

The long detailed answer is "they used to, sort of."

At the heyday of the Star League, Jonathan Cameron took the throne and was plagued by visions of Terra and the Hegemony (the Sixth Great House nation that sat at the center of the Inner Sphere in a circle around Terra itself, ruled by House Cameron) being burnt to the loving ground. In response to his horrid visions he dumped the Hegemony's resources into basically fortifying the Hegemony beyond compare, with Castles Brian (large, undergound, Dwarf Fortress level impregnable fortresses that weren't really there to defend territory (given people move around in space now) but more create a constant, well-supplied, large thorn in the side of any enemy that took the planet, forcing them to either slow their invasion to deal with it or leave behind a large force to siege it, lest the planet be immediately retaken by the defenders) popping up all over.

That said, they ALSO created what were called the Space Defense Systems, entirely AI-automated forces consisting of space stations around the Jump Points, destroyer-size ships that, thanks to not having to spend space on crew quarters could mount much bigger weaponry, and planetary based surface-to-orbit weaponry in case an enemy force got by all THAT. These were put around the most important Hegemony planets, with the largest and most powerful system (named in-universe after Reagan as a joke about his "Star Wars" projects) in orbit around Terra and Sol.

Ironically, the only force they ever wound up engaging were the Star League Defense Forces, as frat-boy and all around idiot Richard Cameron trusted Stefan Amaris so much he had the forces explain exactly how these things worked to Rim Worlds forces, who once they pulled their coup effortlessly seized all of these defenses and reprogrammed them himself.

The SLDF (which was oriented around its main forces and then its Royal divisions which came from the Hegemony and got the best equipment and training) never told anyone how these things worked and kept them top secret, so once Kerensky and his forces obliterated all of them during their drive against Amaris, there were none left for anyone to deal with. And once the Succession Wars kicked off nobody really spared any resources on building anything like this, given that their goal was to invade the others and force them to bend the knee to them as the new First Lord, and it became Lostech.

The Second Star League's SLDF Task Force Serpent had to deal with one way out in Clan space around the Smoke Jaguar homeworld of Huntress, but they negated that through subterfuge only because the alternative of 'trying to fight' would have led to what can be only described as "a loving massacre."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My favourite mechwarrior is my pilot with voice 7 (the Asian one). She's so cheerful, give her a move order and she's all "Ten-four! :buddy:"

The worst voice is number 8, it seems like every line is in a different accent.

Edit: am I a blind moron or is there really no way to rearrange my mech bay other than by dropping stuff to storage then readying it again?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 6, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Space Defense Systems came back in a big way during the Jihad too.

Wobbies don't gently caress around.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqzEssjkMeU&t=1046s

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

"You got Jump Jets, all we can do is float"
*tumbles out into zero G with a Mauler anyway*

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Amechwarrior posted:

Could even make the hatchets super rare and possibly need to field a hatchetless Hatchetman during a flashpoint deployment.

"Of course big loving axes are rare. They're Lostech, we have no idea how to make them any more."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Edit: ^^^ More that noone really thought about making them before.

Assault Dropships are/were also fairly rare compared to cargo dropships and tended to be smaller. For a while the smallest dropship was the Avenger class, an assault dropship, though now there's smaller.

I think that for a while outside of the Union, Leopard, and Overlord the only way to move Aerospace fighters around was the Vengance.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That feeling halfway through the month when you realise that you hosed up and somehow accidentally clicked on the luxurious conditions option and have double the usual expenses :negative:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Panfilo posted:

"You got Jump Jets, all we can do is float"
*tumbles out into zero G with a Mauler anyway*

*lady literally en route to save his life*

"I don't take kindly to stowaways"

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

How much heat does jump jets generate? Can't find the number displayed anywhere.

I'm using a mod that makes LosTech equipment spawn in stores, but only very rarely, and only in systems with either the star league or black market tags, and you have to have high reputation.
So anyway, I found a second gauss rifle. I buy it, and drop to a mission before doing anything with it.
Said mission contains a king crab. Glitch slams a gauss round through its windshield.

Naturally this means that Glitch is now riding a twin gauss crab.
I also discovered that the royal highlander can fit two AC20s fairly comfortably.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Groetgaffel posted:

How much heat does jump jets generate? Can't find the number displayed anywhere.

It scales based on how far you jump.

It's easiest to see in a lunar or mars biome where the heatsink penalty gives you plenty of turns with heat left in the bar. A max-range jump with a 6 JJ light mech (pretty far) seemed to be a little less than a third of the heat bar, so maybe 30?

GotLag posted:

Edit: am I a blind moron or is there really no way to rearrange my mech bay other than by dropping stuff to storage then readying it again?

nope! there's a mod to sort by weight though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ok, Roguetech is driving me nuts. I used to see an Echidna every mission and now that I'm one part away from a complete one, haven't seen one for a ton of missions. Are there console commands or a way to spawn specific parts, or am I just still at the mercy of the RNG?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Not sure, but your best bet is to run 2 or 3 skull missions that primarily have mechs and hope you get lucky.

I've recently discovered that if you use a torso mounted cockpit, you can mount both a Death Stare AND a Flame Breath together with the space. That's a Large Pulse Laser, Long range Flamer, TAG, and a Heat Exchanger all crammed in the mech's head :stare:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Can someone provide a TL;DR of RogueTech?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GotLag posted:

Game turns into a really, really slow grind since everything takes longer, more RNG has been bolted on to essentially every action you can take in combat and weapons/equipment become absurdly granular

It appeals to people who want a dozen extra mechanics bolted on, the story stripped out and a thousand extra pieces they can tinker with to make absurd mechs.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 6, 2018

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

GotLag posted:

In short:
:spergin:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

GotLag posted:

It is a complex effort to make everything in the stock game more relevant by adding a massive amount of sidegrades. Melee, Initiative, and accuracy all become much more important.

In other words, being able to min max a mech to the point that you can stomp on another mech half a map away, causing it to detonate millions of Cbills Bills worth of incredibly volatile equipment.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Panfilo posted:

It is a complex effort to make everything in the stock game more relevant by adding a massive amount of sidegrades. Melee, Initiative, and accuracy all become much more important.

In other words, being able to min max a mech to the point that you can stomp on another mech half a map away, causing it to detonate millions of Cbills Bills worth of incredibly volatile equipment.

Right, so :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The more charitable way to say the same thing is that it's made for people who already played the base game a lot and are bored of it, so want a mod that backs up a truckload of variety and dumps it on them. It's a messy pile of stuff, but it's at least a big pile.