Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

I think it was CD-ROM drives, but geez, definitely feels like a movie you couldn't really make today.

Dennis Miller as a techbro was worth the price of admission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Do movie taglines still exist? Was their original purpose just to psyche people up for the film?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, they still exist. Some movies have multiple taglines. And pretty much. They're meant to be short and attention grabbing, make you think more about the film in regards to what the tagline means. It's an enticement to go see the picture and find out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Edge of Tomorrow's tagline was so much better than the real title that the latter is practically gone from home media: Live. Die. Repeat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krankenstyle posted:

Edge of Tomorrow's tagline was so much better than the real title that the latter is practically gone from home media: Live. Die. Repeat.

I still prefer the original title from the book/manga. All You Need is Kill.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Meg had some pretty good taglines, their marketing department was on the ball. They even had a floor decal of a shark's mouth at the base of our escalator so it looked like you were heading into the jaws.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Krispy Wafer posted:

Dennis Miller as a techbro was worth the price of admission.

Agree, but I have a major affection for Dennis Miller which I think 99% of the world does not share.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Not a question but a recommendation:

I finally saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm. I'd been wanting to see that movie on a big screen my whole life. This year is the 50th anniversary of its release and it's currently traveling around, I strongly suggest you see it if you have the chance! What a great experience. The effects still amazing, even fifty years on. It's so cool to see a movie that has that level of care and craft but still comes across as so seamless.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Van Dis posted:

Not a question but a recommendation:

I finally saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm. I'd been wanting to see that movie on a big screen my whole life. This year is the 50th anniversary of its release and it's currently traveling around, I strongly suggest you see it if you have the chance! What a great experience. The effects still amazing, even fifty years on. It's so cool to see a movie that has that level of care and craft but still comes across as so seamless.
I actually saw this yesterday too at an IMAX. I’m curious what exactly I watched though, because it didn’t seem to be a restored version. On the Blu-ray you can see the brush strokes on the matte paintings in the Africa scenes but that wasn’t noticeable here (on the other hand, the front projection seemed more noticeable). It also looked like there was a fair amount of dirt on the negative.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Weren't the backgrounds photos?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Teenage Fansub posted:

Weren't the backgrounds photos?
Yes, apparently so. I found this quote that might explain what I saw:

quote:

Doug Trumbull: "To camouflage the varying light transmission rates between rolls of the front projection screen material on the giant 40- by 90-foot screen, the material was cut up into small, irregular pieces and pasted up at random so that slight variations in the transmission rates would merge with cloud shapes or be lost altogether in brilliant sunlight effects.”
Maybe some of those tiny seems are visible? It’s been a while since I actually watched it on Blu-ray but I swear that something about those backgrounds looked more noticeably off than what I saw projected yesterday.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

got any sevens posted:

The Meg had some pretty good taglines, their marketing department was on the ball. They even had a floor decal of a shark's mouth at the base of our escalator so it looked like you were heading into the jaws.

The best tagline ever was the one for the 1962 Manchurian Candidate:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best tagline ever was the one for the 1962 Manchurian Candidate

No.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What are some examples of sequel films where the sequel was done significantly later, by a different team? 2010 and Blade Runner 2049 are the obvious examples, but I'm sure there are others.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The Color of Money

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Psycho II is one of the first examples I can think of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What are some examples of sequel films where the sequel was done significantly later, by a different team? 2010 and Blade Runner 2049 are the obvious examples, but I'm sure there are others.

Blues Brothers 2000
Superman Returns (sorta)

Edit: I haven't seen any of the seqiels, but maybe Halloween H20

Oh and Star Wars Force Awakens of loving course.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 10, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Not significantly later, but Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was produced by Paramount's television division, as opposed to the clusterfuck that was The Motion Picture.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Blues Brothers 2k was still Landis and Aykroyd.

The Thing prequel fits both criteria.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Predator (1987)
Predator 2 (1990) +3 years
Predators (2010) +20 years
The Predator (2018) +8 years

The 20 year jump might count?

e: also you have to ignore the avp movies, but that's just good praxis.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 10, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fantasia was 1940 and Fantasia 2000 was 1999/2000, if that counts (it might not, since the second one wasn't continuing a story from the first). There's a number of Disney DTV sequels to their animated movies that sometimes came out decades after the original movies and didn't tend to be coming from the same creative crew.

Return to Oz was about 40 years after The Wizard of Oz and as I recall it's presented as a sequel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wall Street Money Never Sleeps and Basic Instinct 2 are recent examples.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

The Color of Money

The Color of Money is probably the best example since The Hustler had an older established actor (Gleason) with the hot new actor (Newman) and then Color of Money had the older established actor (Newman) with the hot new actor (Cruise). So now all we need is Cruise in a 3rd movie with whatever passes for the hottest new actor (comedy Shia LaBeouf option).

Also most people who watch Color of Money probably have no idea there even was another movie, which is about as overdue and obscure as you can get for a sequel.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Similarly, Sleuth (1972) had the older Laurence Olivier vs. the younger Michael Caine.

The 2007 remake had the now older Michael Caine vs. the younger Jude Law.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why even remake Sleuth when the original one is basically perfect?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

There are any number of direct to video sequels that match this criteria (eg Road House 2, A Christmas Story 2, Hard Target 2), most of which are trash, but some, like Issac Florentine Undisputed sequels and John Hyams' Universal Soldier sequels, immensely improve on the originals.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Peter Hyams, who directed the original Universal Soldier movie, came back for his son's Universal Soldier movies as cinematographer.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah i know it's said like every other week here but those last 2 universal soldier movies were at least 50x better than they ever should have been and even toe the "actual decent movies" water

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was also 10 years between The Hand that Rocks the Cradle and its sequel, Cradle 2 the Grave, which had a completely different cast and crew.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was also 10 years between The Hand that Rocks the Cradle and its sequel, Cradle 2 the Grave, which had a completely different cast and crew.

Funny how they rushed out the third installment the same year with Tomb Raider – The Cradle of Life.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Parachute posted:

yeah i know it's said like every other week here but those last 2 universal soldier movies were at least 50x better than they ever should have been and even toe the "actual decent movies" water
No 'toe' about it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Does Bad Lieutenant and Port of Call New Orleans count.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Conversation and Enemy of the State.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

Omg I never saw the connection before! That's great

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ruddiger posted:

wee-bey-reaction.gif

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ruddiger posted:

:aaaaa:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ruddiger posted:

holy poo poo piss

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Trying to remember the name of a film.
-Made within the last 20 years
-Takes place almost entirely on an spaceship; dark, industrial feel
-Earth's having a bad time; a handful of survivors are trying to find a new home
-The mission's evidently been disrupted by sabotage; man vs man theme
-Plot twist at the end involving an ocean and escape pods One of the crew members has hid from the others that they've been on their destination for years; they are at the bottom of the sea in a clement alien world. A pair of heroes discovers this in a confrontation near the end, dispatches our villain, and surfaces using escape pods.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dominoes posted:

Trying to remember the name of a film.
-Made within the last 20 years
-Takes place almost entirely on an spaceship; dark, industrial feel
-Earth's having a bad time; a handful of survivors are trying to find a new home
-The mission's evidently been disrupted by sabotage; man vs man theme
-Plot twist at the end involving an ocean and escape pods One of the crew members has hid from the others that they've been on their destination for years; they are at the bottom of the sea in a clement alien world. A pair of heroes discovers this in a confrontation near the end, dispatches our villain, and surfaces using escape pods.

Pandorum?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandorum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Nailed it. After looking it up by title now, it seems as if the monster bits weren't especially memorable!