Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I’m finding RogueTech fun to mess around with but I prefer the base game. In this interview https://www.pcgamesn.com/battletech/battletech-update-13-career-mode they mention an ally store which means more equipment which is what RogueTech does well:

quote:

1.3 will also overhaul the reputation system. “One of the key things is you’ll be able to become an ally of one of the factions in the game,” Gitelman says. “That’ll give you access to an ally-only store, where you’ll get special equipment and discounts.” If you prefer the other side of the tracks, mechwarriors with a criminal background will be able to access black market stores, to procure goods of more dubious provenance.

That comes off as they’ll be introducing lostech through this mechanic. Combined with new missions this expac should breath some new life into the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Pretty much. Though it is fun seeing how crazy specialized you can get-

Katyuska with ER LRM ammo lobbing missiles across the map

Echinadae built up as a Jumpy close combat monster of a medium mech

Shinigami acting as a Streak SRM ambusher

Kraken with twin RAC/5

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I had a seriously jaundiced eye towards Roguetech but now I can't play the base game. So, it's good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GotLag posted:

Can someone provide a TL;DR of RogueTech?

Long War

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Xarbala posted:

Long War

I played the hell out of LW2 and loved it despite its flaws, but I just spent the evening trying to get into RogueTech and it felt horrible. The early missions are all lights with 3-4 pips of evasion hiding in forests and moving every turn, which is putting my hit percentages between Literally 1% and 40%. The highest I saw was something like 63% on a light that for whatever reason hadn’t moved the turn before.

It took me like 20 minutes of actual play to kill 2 lights with a lance of 3 lights and a medium, and I’d like to think I’m not iredeemably terrible at this game. Is there some super key point of wisdom I’m missing here? The advice of “position better for shots” didn’t seem to be doing much, taking the 10-12% chance shots and making them 20-30% at best.

All the comparisons to LW had me ready for a slow, rough start, but this made that pale in comparison. It took nearly an hour to grind through a one skull battle mission against 4 lights, 3 vehicles, and a power armor.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

2 SPOOKY posted:

I played the hell out of LW2 and loved it despite its flaws, but I just spent the evening trying to get into RogueTech and it felt horrible. The early missions are all lights with 3-4 pips of evasion hiding in forests and moving every turn, which is putting my hit percentages between Literally 1% and 40%. The highest I saw was something like 63% on a light that for whatever reason hadn’t moved the turn before.

It took me like 20 minutes of actual play to kill 2 lights with a lance of 3 lights and a medium, and I’d like to think I’m not iredeemably terrible at this game. Is there some super key point of wisdom I’m missing here? The advice of “position better for shots” didn’t seem to be doing much, taking the 10-12% chance shots and making them 20-30% at best.

All the comparisons to LW had me ready for a slow, rough start, but this made that pale in comparison. It took nearly an hour to grind through a one skull battle mission against 4 lights, 3 vehicles, and a power armor.

If you Unsteady a mech (e.g. by punching them), they lose all their evasion.

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

it would be spiteful to put jellyfish in a trifle
The poo poo you can do in RogueTech is absolutely wild. I found this elite Cicada with an interesting arrangement of hardpoints so I decided to replace my Dagger with it to see if I could make it work. It does.

The popup claiming it moves 13 hexes is a liar. This is its actual sprint distance.

My next project is to make a Grand Dragon into a scout.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Punching, EWAR or flamers will solve your problem.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
So the early missions are just going to be miserable then? None of the mechs I started with had Flamers or EWAR stuff (though one of the lights I fought had some, god drat), and punch-hit chances were still in the 25-30% hit rate range even with some points invested in piloting.

To be clear, I’m not trying to bitch and moan, I legitimately want to like it. Like I said before, I got a lot of extra mileage out of Xcom thanks to LW2.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

You can buy flamers from the store, so it's not difficult to start with a flamebot, but yes, early game is a bit of a pain. The good news is, the enemy has just as hard of a time hitting you as long as you keep moving your max distance every turn.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Just buy flamers, they are ubiquitous. If you can, buy a tag or narc beacon and use that as well. Early game is going to be more missing than you're used to. You don't get the behind the scenes accuracy boost and your guys are green. The difference between having gunnery 3 to gunnery 5 is huge.

Be on the lookout for weapons that stack accuracy. Pulse, small lasers etc. That will go a long way. A MechWarrior good at melee will help too. When I started I couldn't find flames or ewar to save my life so I slammed a mech just chock full of machine guns. I'd run up and unload, even with like 35 - 40 accuracy, I'd invariably chew them to pieces.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do you have enough of a starting bankroll to buy any of that stuff?

Honestly if you're really not feeling it just cheat yourself a decent starting bankroll and buy stuff. Only the real :reject: types would insist that you have to "earn" the right to play the fun bit by struggling through something that sucks, and their opinions are literally worthless.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The mod legit let's you pick your starting cash which is in the millions, so you really should be able to buy stuff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imo, the real niche that Roguetech settled into is realizing that players actually like and enjoy all the options and tech that later eras introduce, and while they can make tabletop unwieldy and unbalanced, this is a videogame where that stuff can be taken care of under the hood. And while on paper it sounded appealing to the nostalgic crowd for HBS BT to go back to basics, the meaty crunch that provides the backbone of the longterm appeal suffers for a lack of variety interesting toys to play with. Again, thanks mostly to the timeframe and the lore.

Roguetech doesn't give a poo poo about any of that and just throws a bunch of stuff at you, both canon and otherwise. "You want more game? HERE HAVE ALL THE GAME" And then it breaks your kneecaps.

(I probably would have not enjoyed Long War 2 as much as I did had I not also included a bunch of other mods that admittedly cheated out most of the intended challenge and replaced it with just fiddling with an abundance of toy soldiers in titanfall costumes to my heart's content. Several dozens of hours, possibly hundreds, of basically having customized teams with custom backstories filled with overpowered troops competing with each other like it was a bake-off and the cakes were hundreds of exploded sectopods.)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The discovery of parsec has caused my friends and I to play this, battle bros, and xcom 2 campaigns cooperatively and it's been insanely fun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Roguetech lets you build a melee griffin that can jump 1.5 times as far as a Locust can sprint and can one-shot assaults

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You can also pick your starting mechs in Roguetech which can go a long way towards smoothing out the early game.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Ravenfood posted:

You can also pick your starting mechs in Roguetech which can go a long way towards smoothing out the early game.

Have any recommendations on that front?

Also I ran into a Jenner in my first mission that was packing more LRMs than a LRMcarrier vehicle and god drat that thing hurt.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I ran into two Atlases on a mission.
Glitch headcapped both of them. (and a random highlander)

I didn't get enough salvage to get both of them. :negative:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

2 SPOOKY posted:

Have any recommendations on that front?

Also I ran into a Jenner in my first mission that was packing more LRMs than a LRMcarrier vehicle and god drat that thing hurt.

I always do random, but if you want to start with a mech that isn't super OP (you can choose Cheat and start with an Atlas II, and the Grand Dragon starts with a +++ Gauss and PPC) I'd choose the Butcher. It's a close combat focused Vindicator that can heat up mechs at range (Plasma Cannon and flamers) and then close in to punch them down. It's a 45 ton mech so it's not TOO ridiculous in the early game, but it's still very good.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in roguetech, did a 3 star assassination mission and now i have 4 parts of an Atlas Gauszilla joke mech.

:negative:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I did a 4 star assassination and ended up with a quirky dreka (+Gauss accuracy and ammo) it's a beast.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

deathbagel posted:

I always do random, but if you want to start with a mech that isn't super OP (you can choose Cheat and start with an Atlas II, and the Grand Dragon starts with a +++ Gauss and PPC) I'd choose the Butcher. It's a close combat focused Vindicator that can heat up mechs at range (Plasma Cannon and flamers) and then close in to punch them down. It's a 45 ton mech so it's not TOO ridiculous in the early game, but it's still very good.
Your starting lance is also randomly assigned after your pick, and has a maximum set tonnage. Picking a lighter starter mech will mean your other mechs have more tonnage. The Butcher would be a great starter. So would the Kintaro, since iirc it comes with streak SRMs

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 7, 2018

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

deathbagel posted:

Thanks! I’d like to maintain most of the challenge/feel of the game, so the suggestion is appreciated.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Xarbala posted:

Imo, the real niche that Roguetech settled into is realizing that players actually like and enjoy all the options and tech that later eras introduce, and while they can make tabletop unwieldy and unbalanced, this is a videogame where that stuff can be taken care of under the hood. And while on paper it sounded appealing to the nostalgic crowd for HBS BT to go back to basics, the meaty crunch that provides the backbone of the longterm appeal suffers for a lack of variety interesting toys to play with. Again, thanks mostly to the timeframe and the lore.

Roguetech doesn't give a poo poo about any of that and just throws a bunch of stuff at you, both canon and otherwise. "You want more game? HERE HAVE ALL THE GAME" And then it breaks your kneecaps.

(I probably would have not enjoyed Long War 2 as much as I did had I not also included a bunch of other mods that admittedly cheated out most of the intended challenge and replaced it with just fiddling with an abundance of toy soldiers in titanfall costumes to my heart's content. Several dozens of hours, possibly hundreds, of basically having customized teams with custom backstories filled with overpowered troops competing with each other like it was a bake-off and the cakes were hundreds of exploded sectopods.)

I haven’t bought this game yet but if it were Jihad era I would’ve been there day one. 3025 is snooze.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Buy it on sale one day and install roguetech. It opens it up quite a bit and you can opt-in to use Clan era tech and mechs.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a way to get the Gauss ammo back? I managed to get the Rifle itself back but don't have any ammo for it.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Klyith posted:

is that VO actually good once you get in battle? I couldn't bear to hire someone with it, even when the guy looked extremely Jersey Shore and had the callsign Slick.
it just seems so over the top caricature from the responses on the hiring screen

I do wonder if there's some minor house in the IS that did the same thing as House Kurita and tried to create a unified culture among the people they ruled, but instead of medieval Japan they chose 20th century new york. as depicted in the only surviving cultural works from that time: Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

I liked very southern man a whole lot.

If you found his base responses annoying, you probably won't like him in a lance. The nice thing about the pilot customization now is you could switch any of your non-ronin pilots to Mr. NYC and if you don't like it, switch it back.

Southern man, I think I'm thinking of the same guy you're thinking of, was good. Just kind of easy going and pleasant. While there are a few standouts, I'd say most of the voice options are good. There are only a few that I absolutely hate. One is this guy that always says "skipper" all the time. Another is a guy with this really nasal Steve Urkle thing going on. There's also this one woman with a weird accent (I have no idea what they were going for). I had a pilot with that voice in my first campaign (before character edit) and I never used her because I couldn't stand the voice.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Hatchets are gear that only the Hatchetman can use. So they occupy space/tonnage and can be disabled by criticals and limb loss.

I'm really torn on Bulwark. I do not like how it works now, but I also don't really like the version I put into the beta. So I'm going to gather the designer troops next week and talk through our feedback so far.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Technowolf posted:

Is there a way to get the Gauss ammo back? I managed to get the Rifle itself back but don't have any ammo for it.

In the base game there are 4 planets that have gauss ammo as a possible store spawn. New Vandenburg in the Taurian area, and the top 3 systems in Liao territory (not accessible until post-campaign).

It has a 1-in-1000 chance of spawning. You can edit the json files to up its drop rate though.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
irish woman has a good voice

love them rhotic Rs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

isildur posted:

Hatchets are gear that only the Hatchetman can use. So they occupy space/tonnage and can be disabled by criticals and limb loss.

I'm really torn on Bulwark. I do not like how it works now, but I also don't really like the version I put into the beta. So I'm going to gather the designer troops next week and talk through our feedback so far.

The easy fix for it would be to keep it like it was at launch but make it a tier 2 skill. It was only broken because it was so good at tier 1 that it was the obvious take for your 3rd skill. At tier 2 you have to weigh not getting other good skills.

It also doesn't help that the tier 2 guts skill was hot garbage. i can't even remember what it was called, that's how thoroughly I ignored it. The one that made melee bap your enemy back in the inertia order. Because of that not only was guts tier 1 an easy must have, but there was zero incentive to ever go to tier 2 of guts.

Reversing them wouldn't help that other skill kind of sucking, but frankly bulwark would be strong enough at tier 2 to justify having a kind of garbage gate skill.

Two fixes for the skill I can't remember the name of would be to either just change it to a flat bonus to melee (damage, or to hit, or extra stab dmg on a hit or whatever - any generic passive buff would be good-but-not-great and fitting for a tier 1 skill) or, if you want to do more work, rework initiative a little bit so that there's an extra phase after 4. Maybe make it impossible to reserve into or something, but being able to clock an assault and make it go last of everything on the map would all of a sudden make that "skill whose name I can't remember and am too lazy to google" actually really useful if situationally so. In other words, a good T1 skill.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

isildur posted:

In my not at all a game design expert opinion. Ditch bulwark entirely and just put a thing to let you sprint into melee punches there, probably as a redesign of juggernaut. As a player I almost can't fathom not taking something that reduces my incoming damage just because mission design means I'm always outnumbered. Since this is a strategy game it's not like I can dodge the lasers or anything so relying on flat damage reductions to compensate is the only real option.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The skill is juggernaut and making it let you brace after melee would be best imo

Wouldn't even have to change the name

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The skill is juggernaut and making it let you brace after melee would be best imo

Sure you would. Nigh invulnerable after a melee attack? Rename it "wolverine."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Brace still leaves you vulnerable from the rear arc so maybe "bugger-me-not"? Just spitballing here

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

imweasel09 posted:

In my not at all a game design expert opinion. Ditch bulwark entirely and just put a thing to let you sprint into melee punches there, probably as a redesign of juggernaut. As a player I almost can't fathom not taking something that reduces my incoming damage just because mission design means I'm always outnumbered. Since this is a strategy game it's not like I can dodge the lasers or anything so relying on flat damage reductions to compensate is the only real option.

This is how it is in RogueTech. Juggernaut is the same, but also gets a few other bonuses like more melee damage as well, so it isn't a total wash. Then the second tier of Guts gives you 'Berserker' which braces you after melee, and is pretty useful. This arrangement means if you are going to get Juggernaut, you might as well get Berserker anyway since it is better and they both stack with each other.

Making Bulwark and Breaching Shot tied to equipment also helped to balance them better, since it is stuff that can be destroyed with crits/mech destruction and there's no guarantee you'll be able to salvage a lot of the loot. It also means that you don't always have tons of enemies with these skills either, since only mechs that had that equipment as their stock configuration will have it as enemies. Though bulwark isn't quite as powerful in RogueTech; mechs (and hovertanks, for that matter) have a lot more maneuverability and it is easier to get flanked, and since evasion pips don't normally go away moving, even a little bit, is generally more helpful.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure you would. Nigh invulnerable after a melee attack? Rename it "wolverine."

I have a mod that does exactly this and its not unbalanced at all. As noted above, your rear arc is still open. Also, any other melee attack removes it, and using the skill ... puts you in melee range. Granted, I am using amechwarrior's AI mod, so the AI can actually reserve and don't suicide charge, so that is probably a factor in making it balanced.

I think bulwark could be fixed as a tier 1 skill by making it give cover in open ground and guarded in cover. This would make cover consequential as well. IMO, the tier 1 skills should be generally useful, and the tier 2 should be powerful but specialized.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I'm not empty-quoting this because I'm also asking once again why the devs haven't figured this out when so many players have. Instead they decide to introduce some skill that will potentially break the heat scale. Getting echos of :pgi: here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Unless you have a mod that makes Star League stuff appear in shops, nope. If your Lostech gets crit, it's gone.