Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Are you not familiar with the connotations of "inject it into my loving veins"

Edit: Also, if that is your takeaway. Your brain ras rotted.

give me some of that purestrain Decorum, loam. let's chase that dragon together. let's go to a place where if Trump's staffers faithfully executed his vision the world would be better.

and maybe if we're lucky, when we wake up from our loving stupor we won't have lost another thousand seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lightning Knight posted:

I’ve seen it used to represent schadenfreude and that’s how I read his comment.

This would be news to me, and I am not sure what schadenfreude can be derived from Obama's statements

quote:

scha·den·freu·de

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

What exactly is Obama's misfortune here?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This would be news to me, and I am not sure what schadenfreude can be derived from Obama's statements

What exactly is Obama's misfortune here?

Obama feebly bleating about decorum after the GOP hosed him with his own decorum for most of a decade is pretty hilarious.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Magres posted:

Obama feebly bleating about decorum after the GOP hosed him with his own decorum for most of a decade is pretty hilarious.

Oh yes, calls for decorum such as

quote:

“We’re supposed to stand up to discrimination, and we’re sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers. How hard can that be? Saying that Nazis are bad?”

quote:

Obama: You gotta do what the parkland kids are doing...they're not giving up until we have a congress that cares more about your lives than a campaign check from the NRA"

You people are so loving cynical and rotten that you aren't worth engaging with.

EDIT: This one applies to you and Yeowch

quote:

"Don't lose yourself in ironic detachment... vote"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yes, Obama has always been about making nice speeches and then doing jack poo poo in reality, so you're not going to see us falling over ourselves to praise his pretty words. That's not rotten and cynical, that's recognizing his lovely track record.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh yes, decorum line such as

“We’re supposed to stand up to discrimination, and we’re sure as heck supposed to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers. How hard can that be? Saying that Nazis are bad?”

Obama: You gotta do what the parkland kids are doing...they're not giving up until we have a congress that cares more about your lives than a campaign check from the NRA"

You people are so loving cynical and rotten that you aren't worth engaging with.

it felt so good, to listen to the decorum man speak, didn't it, loam.

like old times.

nothing hurt. everything was beautiful. you could pretend everything was alright again. like you could before. eight beautiful years of chasing that beautiful dragon.

shame about what happens when you come down.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, Obama has always been about making nice speeches and then doing jack poo poo in reality, so you're not going to see us falling over ourselves to praise his pretty words. That's not rotten and cynical, that's recognizing his lovely track record.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it felt so good, to listen to the decorum man speak, didn't it, loam.

like old times.

nothing hurt. everything was beautiful. you could pretend everything was alright again. like you could before. eight beautiful years of chasing that beautiful dragon.

shame about what happens when you come down.

quote:

That's not rotten and cynical,

:wrong:

quote:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

luv 2 call people cynical for acknowledging trash as trash

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I do vote. For people who take action. Not people who make nice speeches while they cash in and enrich themselves.

Obama was, and remains, a contemptible, absolute failure.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
taking electoral advice from the guy who lost the democratic party control of every level of american government, to own the libs

*extremely The Video Game Starcraft voice* awww, that's the stuff

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I do vote. For people who take action. Not people who make nice speeches while they cash in and enrich themselves.

Obama was, and remains, a contemptible, absolute failure.

Oh Snapple! posted:

luv 2 call people cynical for acknowledging trash as trash

taking electoral advice from the guy who lost the democratic party control of every level of american government, to own the libs

*extremely The Video Game Starcraft voice* awww, that's the stuff

Hahaha

quote:

That's not rotten and cynical,

quote:

not rotten and cynical,

quote:

rotten and cynical,

quote:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wish Obama was anywhere near as good a leader as he is a speaker. Because that discord is beginning to make smug Obama more and more grating.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"You're rotten and cynical" you say to the guy who donated 100 bucks to Bernie's Presidential run three days after he announced. LOL. Fuckin' dumbass libs, man.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there is something absolutely beautiful about the guy trying to ignore any of the material realities indulging his addiction resulted in, getting mad at people for "ironic detachment"

float like a balloon, blissful and free, above such mundane things as "the results the last time you listened to this guy"

fair warning. the ground will be waiting for you when the drug runs out.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoy how right kilroy was to not buy loam's "oh wow the centrists actually are bad!" epiphany in the slightest and to keep giving him poo poo with no brakes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just a reminder: one of the actual things that Obama did since the election was getting Tom Perez, a fellow loser dipshit who has also been a 100% failure, into a DNC leadership position to preserve centrist power over Dem infrastructure.

Oh but I didn't get little heart signs in my eyes when Obama rattled of one of his pretty little bromides, must be because I'm a bitter cynic and not because my functioning human brain recognizes patterns and knows where this is going

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

I enjoy how right kilroy was to not buy loam's "oh wow the centrists actually are bad!" epiphany in the slightest and to keep giving him poo poo with no brakes.

every addict has his relapses. it's an unfortunate reality. the trick is to be waiting for them when they realize they're making the same mistake again.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

"You're rotten and cynical" you say to the guy who donated 100 bucks to Bernie's Presidential run three days after he announced. LOL. Fuckin' dumbass libs, man.

You and me both, I guess we can be Fuckin' dumbass libs together then. EDIT: I only donated 25 because i'm not loving rich enough to drop $100 on a political campaign. It is the only time i have donated directly to a political candidate, and will likely remain the only time for the foreseeable future. I am not sure why you though this differentiates you from the people you demean as "Fuckin' dumbass libs"

quote:

Rotten and cynical

Oh Snapple! posted:

Oh yes, kilroy, the poster people should turn to for a good example of anything.

Just a reminder: one of the actual things that Obama did since the election was getting Tom Perez, a fellow loser dipshit who has also been a 100% failure, into a DNC leadership position to preserve centrist power over Dem infrastructure.

Oh but I didn't get little heart signs in my eyes when Obama rattled of one of his pretty little bromides, must be because I'm a bitter cynic and not because my functioning human brain recognizes patterns and knows where this is going

I'm fine with valid criticism, but that's not what was happening here, and has jack to do with what Obama was discussing.

Yeowch isn't worth responding to.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 7, 2018

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Yeah Loam is a brokebrained idiot who continually yoyos back to naïveté, even after being dragged kicking and screaming into realizing that when it comes to politicians, actions speak louder than words.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hey Loam here's one of the things I absolutely despite about Obama: he's constantly trying to make reactionary conservatism - which is the creation of an overclass and underclass, and is what it is, and what it always has been - as some kind of principled moral position. Even after everything that has happened, this dumbshit is still trying to rehabilitate the guys who called him a secret Muslim to their racist base and rolled his rear end politically for 8+ years.

(Lincoln was not a loving conservative, Barry)

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1038114171446087680

Imagine loving saying this poo poo when Trump has 85% approval with Republicans. Obama would be a great life coach or motivational speaker, but he's a downright dangerously incompetent politician.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 7, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

wow heck yes loam

take the L

Obama is being an idiot like usual and Yeowch wasn’t praising him

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Hey Loam here's one of the things I absolutely despite about Obama: he's constantly trying to make reactionary conservatism - which is the creation of an overclass and underclass, and is what it is, and what it always has been - as some kind of principled moral position. Even after everything that has happened, this dumbshit is still trying to rehabilitate the guys who called him a secret Muslim to their racist base and rolled his rear end politically for 8+ years.

(Lincoln was not a loving conservative, Barry)

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1038114171446087680

Did you watch the same clip as me? He juxtaposing the party that calls itself the "part of lincoln" but in no way lives up to the ideals set forth by lincoln. Is that wrong?

He specifically differentiated the 'reactionary conservatism' that you specified, and said it is NOT conservative in the way the lincoln laid out. Do you think it is?

I am not sure what you are outraged by other than the fact that Obama is not calling all conservatives evil.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

wow heck yes loam

Obama is being an idiot like usual and Yeowch wasn’t praising him

That was legit my misunderstanding because Yeowch used a phrase in a way that made no sense.

I am not sure what L i should be taking here other than "OBAMA BAD AND STILL EXISTS"

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Did you watch the same clip as me? He juxtaposing the party that calls itself the "part of lincoln" but in no way lives up to the ideals set forth by lincoln. Is that wrong?

He specifically differentiated the 'reactionary conservatism' that you specified, and said it is NOT conservative in the way the lincoln laid out. Do you think it is?

I am not sure what you are outraged by other than the fact that Obama is not calling all conservatives evil.

Why are you dying on this hill of "actually, it is good that Obama is saying that people who trick trump into not declaring war on Venezuela are bad"?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I am not sure what you are outraged by

I literally just told you. He's trying to rehabilitate conservativism as a concept by sticking it under the umbrella of Lincoln and the 1860 Republican party, neither of which was conservative. The reality is that conservativism has shown it's true reactionary face in Trump and conservatives overwhelmingly approve.

Conservativism - real conservativism, not the little fictions they give you about "small government" or "personal freedom" - is about creating a class of people that the law protects but does not bind, and a class of people that the law binds but does not protect. There's a very good book, The Reactionary Mind, that goes through literal centuries of conservative "intellectuals" and illustrates this with plenty of examples. The very concept of conservativism - which always advocates for a 2 tiered society of overclass and underclass - is evil.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 7, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Prester Jane posted:

Except for the lifetime of PTSD that student is going to have to endure now that her brain was exposed to being violently assaulted while she was asleep. That kind of trauma being committed against a developing mind is an extremely big deal and will without a doubt have significant lifetime consequences. And that's before we get into what that officer did to an entire classroom of students who witnessed the such a violent and unprovoked assault on one of their sleeping friends.

That cop should see the inside of a prison cell. Actually that cop should be made a public example of. She can best serve her community by demonstrating the consequences of such severe abuse of your power.
Not to defend dumb police tricks but you should reread that. Nobody got "violently assaulted." Cop decided to use her Tazer as a noisemaker to compel compliance with classroom rules. That's loving stupid, and the fact that apparently no school official could accomplish that without needing a cop in the room is sad. It speaks to either a total lack of authority or a deeply rooted CYA culture that offloads everything on the SRO.

I think it's likely the latter that's the issue. Way too many situations get handed off to the police that could be solved by literally anyone with a brain and basic social skills. Mostly because "gently caress it. Let them sue the cops, not us" is a pervasive attitude.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 7, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

I literally just told you. He's trying to rehabilitate conservativism as a concept by sticking it under the umbrella of Lincoln and the 1860 Republican party, neither of which was conservative. The reality is that conservativism has shown it's true reactionary face in Trump and conservatives overwhelmingly approve.

Conservativism - real conservativism, not the little fictions they give you about "small government" or "personal freedom" - is about creating a class of people that the law protects but does not bind, and a class of people that the law binds but does not protect. There's a very good book, The Reactionary Mind, that goes through literal centuries of conservative "intellectuals" and illustrates this with plenty of examples. The very concept of conservativism - which always advocates for a 2 tiered society of overclass and underclass - is evil.

acknowledging this reality, as opposed to pretending really really hard that THIS time we can shame republicans into being decorous, is Ironic Detachment, and therefore bad

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

MooselanderII posted:

Why are you dying on this hill of "actually, it is good that Obama is saying that people who trick trump into not declaring war on Venezuela are bad"?

I am not sure what you are even asking of me here. You seem to be putting words in my mouth, as well as misrepresenting what Obama said.

Do I think the Op-Ed writer is good, gently caress no i don't. Do I think That cabinet level people "tricking" trump into not going to war are good? No

try again and say what you actually want me to respond to instead of the usual "ugh, you're not going to defend this straw man I hastily constructed and beat the poo poo out of"

I think that's a fair thing to be outraged by. I'll check the book out. The paying of lip service to ideals is the type of politician Obama is, and i won't begrudge you for despising that part of him. I don't think Obama was "defending" conservatism in the way you indicate, but he sure as poo poo wasn't representing it for what it actually is either. I am not sure him going the opposite way (attacking conservatism) would have had the effect you desire however. Maybe we need a person willing to test that theory. I'd vote for them.

acknowledging this reality, as opposed to pretending really really hard that THIS time we can shame republicans into being decorous, is Ironic Detachment, and therefore bad

Nobody thinks this way, and you are sad and borken. No that is not a typo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
ironic detachment. ironic detachment. none of you are free from sin

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's too funny that Obama complains about extremist Republicans trying to cut the safety net when literally the only thing that stopped his administration from achieving a "grand bargain" to cut social security was Tea Party intransigence.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Do you seriously not understand how he is trying to cleave a distinction between the "reactionary" Conservatism of Trump and the principled fiscal conservatism of men like Reagan and Buckley?

Just a reminder, this is Obama's opinion on the Conservatism of the 1980s:

quote:

“I don’t want to present myself as some sort of singular figure. I think part of what’s different are the times. I do think that, for example, the 1980 election was different. I think Ronald Reagan changed the trajectory of America in a way that, you know, Richard Nixon did not and in a way that Bill Clinton did not.

"He put us on a fundamentally different path because the country was ready for it. I think they felt like, you know, with all the excesses of the 60s and the 70s, and government had grown and grown, but there wasn't much sense of accountability in terms of how it was operating. I think people just tapped into -- he tapped into what people were already feeling, which was, we want clarity, we want optimism, we want a return to that sense of dynamism and entrepreneurship that had been missing.

Read what Obama says there and then rewatch Obama's speech there, starting at 1:50

Obama posted:

"It's not conservative. It sure isn't normal. It's radical. It's a vision that says the protection of our power and those who back us is all that matters even when it hurts the country. It's a vision that says the few who can afford high priced lobbyists and unlimited campaign contributions set the agenda. And over the past two years this vision is now nearing its logical conclusion."

It's loving incoherent to praise Reagan and the 1980s Republican party for its dynamism and optimism and its fresh vision for the country and then turn around and say bullshit like the stuff in that speech. Either Obama's a liar or he's the dumbest motherfucker to ever stumble into the Presidency. This is a guy who thinks Reagan was a much needed corrective to the "excesses" of the 1970s who restored accountability to government, yet he also somehow complains that current Republicans don't care about deficits or the poor.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It just pisses me off so much because for years the lefties have been saying "no conservatives don't operate in good faith, they are really quite bad people morally and only care about power and themselves" and every centrist ignored them and pretended they were really decent people who just had small disagreements about what's best for America. Now we have literally Trump President who rips little babies from their mother's arms to traumatize them for life in the name of white supremacy and has massive near-universal approval from conservatives while he blows a hole in the country's safety net to shovel money into the pockets of the rich - literally everything lefties ever said is true and yet loving Obama had to tear himself away from sucking dick on Billionaire Island to show up and use his silver tongue to try to rehabilitate this debunked centrist concept. Absolutely infuriating.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

It just pisses me off so much because for years the lefties have been saying "no conservatives don't operate in good faith, they are really quite bad people morally and only care about power and themselves" and every centrist ignored them and pretended they were really decent people who just had small disagreements about what's best for America. Now we have literally Trump President who rips little babies from their mother's arms to traumatize them for life in the name of white supremacy and has massive near-universal approval from conservatives while he blows a hole in the country's safety net to shovel money into the pockets of the rich - literally everything lefties ever said is true and yet loving Obama had to tear himself away from sucking dick on Billionaire Island to show up and use his silver tongue to try to rehabilitate this debunked centrist concept. Absolutely infuriating.

Like I said, now that you explained it, I think that's totally valid. I don't get upset about it because it is expected. If this was Bernie giving reagan a blow job, it would muster more of an emotional response, but we KNEW what obama was when we elected him. He was a centrist through and through. Hopefully the next person we elect won't have those issues.

Helsing posted:

It's too funny that Obama complains about extremist Republicans trying to cut the safety net when literally the only thing that stopped his administration from achieving a "grand bargain" to cut social security was Tea Party intransigence.

Do you seriously not understand how he is trying to cleave a distinction between the "reactionary" Conservatism of Trump and the principled fiscal conservatism of men like Reagan and Buckley?

Just a reminder, this is Obama's opinion on the Conservatism of the 1980s:

Read what Obama says there and then rewatch Obama's speech there, starting at 1:50

It's loving incoherent to praise Reagan and the 1980s Republican party for its dynamism and optimism and its fresh vision for the country and then turn around and say bullshit like the stuff in that speech. Either Obama's a liar or he's the dumbest motherfucker to ever stumble into the Presidency. This is a guy who thinks Reagan was a much needed corrective to the "excesses" of the 1970s who restored accountability to government, yet he also somehow complains that current Republicans don't care about deficits or the poor.

I am not reading that as Praise for Reagan , but more as "Raegun seized on an opportunity, and was able to shift the direction of the country"

I think Obama doesn't see conservatism as the problem, but the reactionaries that sullied it. He wanted a strong opposition party it seemed like, and it was part of his failure. I don't agree for the most part, but I am not going to tear him down for it. He was inadequate for dealing with that problem.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 7, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

and everyone still likes him better than anyone on the left

that's a lol

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I am not sure what you are even asking of me here. You seem to be putting words in my mouth, as well as misrepresenting what Obama said.

Do I think the Op-Ed writer is good, gently caress no i don't. Do I think That cabinet level people "tricking" trump into not going to war are good? No

try again and say what you actually want me to respond to instead of the usual "ugh, you're not going to defend this straw man I hastily constructed and beat the poo poo out of"

I think you might be confused again as you often tend to be. The tweet that started this whole thing has Obama condemning people tricking Trump from doing insane things. You've gone to the mattresses about this (mainly because you are an over-sensitive weirdo who reflexively defends bad things when leftists are mean to you for defending them, usually because of your poor reading comprehension) because you think decorum outweighs preventing war.

And this is to say nothing about how you don't understand why conservatism is inherently bad!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Like I said, now that you explained it, I think that's totally valid. I don't get upset about it because it is expected. If this was Bernie giving reagan a blow job, it would muster more of an emotional response, but we KNEW what obama was when we elected him. He was a centrist through and through. Hopefully the next person we elect won't have those issues.

That's very revisionist IMO. His 2008 slogan was "Hope and Change", he portrayed himself as a guy who was going to change the political system, that's why he got such an overwhelming response. People were already sick of poo poo in 2008, and now after the crash and his pathetic response they are (and remain) absolutely apoplectic.

Oxxidation posted:

that's a lol

Yes Dem voters being very stupid reinforces my nihilistic streak.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

It just pisses me off so much because for years the lefties have been saying "no conservatives don't operate in good faith, they are really quite bad people morally and only care about power and themselves" and every centrist ignored them and pretended they were really decent people who just had small disagreements about what's best for America. Now we have literally Trump President who rips little babies from their mother's arms to traumatize them for life in the name of white supremacy and has massive near-universal approval from conservatives while he blows a hole in the country's budget to shovel money into the pockets of the rich - literally everything lefties ever said is true and yet loving Obama had to tear himself away from sucking dick on Billionaire Island to show up and use his silver tongue to try to rehabilitate this debunked centrist concept. Absolutely infuriating.

They have to believe this because if they acknowledge that Trump is the logical outcome of where the Republicans have been going since the 1960s then their entire strategy of trying to win elections by converting suburban Republican-leaning white independents to the Democratic party would fall apart. And if they dind't have the excuse that they need to chase those legendary swing voters then it would suddenly be a lot harder to explain why the Democratic party tends to govern so conservatively or why Democrats in very safe blue seats are often far to the right of their own supporters.

If the centrist voter didn't exist (it doesn't) it would have to be invented.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Obama's whole campain was centred around him as an alternative to Hilary and everything she represented, as an opponent of the Iraq War, as an opponent of NAFTA and the South Korean trade deal, as an advocate of public financing for elections, and as someone who was going to close Guantanamo.

Claiming what people got was exactly what he advertised is incredibly dishonest. There were plenty of warning signs about candidate Obama's views but he and his team understood perfectly well what they were doing when they encouraged people to project all kinds of progressive or leftist beliefs onto Obama. That was very much part of his strategy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

that's a lol

Doesn't Bernie compare to Obama as far as favorability?

MooselanderII posted:

I think you might be confused again as you often tend to be. The tweet that started this whole thing has Obama condemning people tricking Trump from doing insane things. You've gone to the mattresses about this (mainly because you are an over-sensitive weirdo who reflexively defends bad things when leftists are mean to you for defending them, usually because of your poor reading comprehension) because you think decorum outweighs preventing war.

And this is to say nothing about how you don't understand why conservatism is inherently bad!

Oh okay, you aren't actually going to say anything useful or respond in good faith, got it.

That's very revisionist IMO. His 2008 slogan was "Hope and Change", he portrayed himself as a guy who was going to change the political system, that's why he got such an overwhelming response. People were already sick of poo poo in 2008, and now after the crash and his pathetic response they are (and remain) absolutely apoplectic.

There were major discussion going on during 2008 among these very forums where people were projecting all kinds of leftists ideals onto Obama, and others who very clearly understood where he actually stood in relation to those projections. I agree that he was wholly inadequate to solving the problem, but don't act like people putting false hopes on a politician is unique to Obama.

Helsing posted:

Claiming what people got was exactly what he advertised is incredibly dishonest. There were plenty of warning signs about candidate Obama's views but he and his team understood perfectly well what they were doing when they encouraged people to project all kinds of progressive or leftist beliefs onto Obama. That was very much part of his strategy.

I agree that his campaign fluffed the poo poo out of his bonafides, it seems a bit disingenuous to complain he didn't live up to those ideals when you yourself acknowledge you saw right through them. Do I think he misled people about his ideals, yeah. Do I think he's evil for it? No

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's an interesting world that the centrists live in where people not pretending that the guy who handed over the country to fascism on a silver platter was some kind of fantastic guy and a political mastermind is the epitome of rotten cynicism.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I wish Obama was anywhere near as good a leader as he is a speaker. Because that discord is beginning to make smug Obama more and more grating.

President Obama still won't say depression for fear of a market panic.

Trump is president and our first black president won't call a depression a depression for fear the economy will experience the mother of all corrections will happen on the watch of the man who said he wasn't​ a citizen.

Obama's a total scumfuck and Trump is his legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I agree that his campaign fluffed the poo poo out of his bonafides, it seems a bit disingenuous to complain he didn't live up to those ideals when you yourself acknowledge you saw right through them. Do I think he misled people about his ideals, yeah. Do I think he's evil for it? No

I guess it depends on where you draw the line on "warning signs" and "confirmations". For example, Hillary's "America is Already Great" motto pretty much confirmed every negative thing I thought about her. "Hope And Change" doesn't exactly scream "I'm a moderately-right centrist"

Also he's evil because of drones

• Locked thread