Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

doesn't solitaire have a subscription for it now

it has ads unless you pay

microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Wonder how many yearly subscriptions they're selling

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lambert posted:

Wonder how many yearly subscriptions they're selling

one per year :xd:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm just making sure i'm not crazy: it shouldn't be difficult to modify a group policy such that someone's machine is capable of running commands longer than 250ish characters, right? i'm asking this client to change their policy and they're acting like it's some insane unprecedented ask and i'm kind of blown away that they're making such a big deal about this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you mean long paths? because commands are limited to 8k characters

but yeah, long paths is a single gpo. maybe they just don't want to validate against it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or their admins are morons and don't know how to use group policy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

infernal machines posted:

you mean long paths? because commands are limited to 8k characters

but yeah, long paths is a single gpo. maybe they just don't want to validate against it

command line input i think is still limited to 256 chars for them. it's not an issue of them validating against it they're straight up saying it's impossible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just enable long path support in your application's manifest.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

or their admins are morons and don't know how to use group policy

literally the convo we had today after finally getting them on the phone after two months of trying to get them to fix their poo poo

them: well we modified the policy on $techlead's machine and he says it still isn't working

(i know that $techlead is a loving moron and has made no attempt at getting anything to work on his machine)

me: well we're looking at $intern's screen. did you modify the policy for him?

*silence*

me: $techlead can you share your screen and try to run the deployment script?

techlead: no let's try to get it working on $intern's machine

helpdesk: what you're asking for is unnatural behavior that doesn't come out of the box with windows. this is a microsoft setting and changing the registry means we're changing the behavior of the system.

me: yes that's what the registry is for i don't understand the problem

helpdesk: the article you gave us is just some guy on a forum saying things that isn't verified by microsoft. i'm looking at a microsoft article that says input is limited to 256 chars by default. that's the behavior they've defined. you'll need to talk to microsoft to have this fixed

me: :what:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Shaggar posted:

just enable long path support in your application's manifest.

application itself is fine. the issue is the .bat script to get everything deployed and up and running is longer than 256 chars and they're refusing to enable longpath in the registry

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why are the paths so long?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This poo poo is programming_for_IT_folks.txt, but commiserations

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Shaggar posted:

it's only slightly over 260 characters. if they condense some of the folders down to abbreviations it works fine. the issue is that they're just going to run into this problem again when either additional arguments are added to the launcher or someone new comes on and uses a different folder structure or whatever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

application itself is fine. the issue is the .bat script to get everything deployed and up and running is longer than 256 chars and they're refusing to enable longpath in the registry

why are they attempting to change the registry instead of enabling the GPO? gently caress, they can just set a local policy if they're afeard of taking down their network or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why is it when given the opportunity windows admins will choose not only the wrong way to do something but also the more difficult way?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
are you saying that the bat file's path is >260 characters? or are you saying that the bat file path plus arguments is >260 characters?

if the latter, write launcher2.bat with the correct arguments.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

... instead of enabling the GPO? gently caress, they can just set a local policy if they're afeard of taking down their network or something

Fiedler posted:

... write launcher2.bat with the correct arguments.

i'm not a windows guy i have no idea what this stuff means

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm not a windows guy i have no idea what this stuff means
are you saying that the [bash script] file's path is >260 characters? or are you saying that the [bash script] file path plus arguments is >260 characters?

if the latter, write [launcher2.sh] with the correct arguments.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why is it when given the opportunity windows admins will choose not only the wrong way to do something but also the more difficult way?

my fiefdom!!! :byodood:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actually cmd.exe doesn't support long paths even if you do enable the GPO, so they'd have to launch the script in powershell, but if they launch the script in powershell it should work whether or not that GPO is set.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

are you saying that the [bash script] file's path is >260 characters? or are you saying that the [bash script] file path plus arguments is >260 characters?

i think the issue is the script touches files whose paths are longer than 260 characters, at which point the script will definitely fail if run in the cmd.exe shell

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

anthonypants posted:

the file path is definitely less than 260 characters. it's that plus the arguments inside it are greater than 260

i have no clue what you mean by that launcher2 stuff

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

the file path is definitely less than 260 characters. it's that plus the arguments inside it are greater than 260

as a non-janitor, it sounds like you can have one script call another script that contains only the modifiers to get around the character limit

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rex-Goliath posted:

it means you have launcher.bat, but it's broken, so you need to build launcher2.bat

i can't remember if shortcuts are a workaround for path length but symbolic links/folder junctions probably still work.

Shaggar posted:

gotta ask yourself this before you decide on a workaround though

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

alright the intern ran the scripts both with powershell and also after enabling 'enable win32 long paths' and is still getting the same error so i have no idea what the gently caress is wrong with their computers

no other customers have had this issue

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i don't care anymore they can use bullshit folder names or figure it out on their own. i've never had to cj for a customer before this is stupid af

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rex-Goliath posted:

i don't care anymore they can use bullshit folder names or figure it out on their own. i've never had to cj for a customer before this is stupid af
:yeah:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that was always the correct answer

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

What the gently caress kind of garbage software are you writing and deploying if your deployment solution is “run this batch file”?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ugh it's not our deployer it's a series of jobs that kick off other ingestion/harmonization jobs written in java that then communicate with our product

we use gradle for actual deployments/configuration which is working fine for them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

literally all these things are are just calling these little lovely java classes that we wrote to interface with their other databases along with passing in things like 'here's the config file'

that's it

and for some reason their bullshit laptops just can't handle it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i know it should be fine because the sales engineer who wrote the poc and handed this stuff off to me develops on a pc and everything ran fine on his machine. i have no idea what's wrong with their garbage IT department that their developers can't handle this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

they loving had the gall to tell me that i should go to my other customers and ask their IT departments how they handled their group policies to overcome this insurmountable obstacle. they had the lack of shame to literally tell me to ask another one of my customer's IT to do their jobs for them. and this lead tech just nodded along like 'yeah this makes sense and is a reasonable ask'

god damnit gently caress this

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
should have upgraded to grundle

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Rex-Goliath posted:

i know it should be fine because the sales engineer who wrote the poc and handed this stuff off to me develops on a pc and everything ran fine on his machine. i have no idea what's wrong with their garbage IT department that their developers can't handle this

your sales guy wrote a lovely batch script and you're blaming the customer. fix your script.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Fiedler posted:

your sales guy wrote a lovely batch script and you're blaming the customer. fix your script.

yeah i'm going to have to but i shouldn't have to damnit :mad:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

sales engineer

:thunk:

quote:

who wrote the poc and handed this stuff off to me develops on a pc and everything ran fine on his machine

lmao

Fiedler posted:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 8, 2018

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/sep/06/microsoft-surface-go-review-tablet-thats-better-for-work-than-play

I love the Guardian. “It’s a piece of poo poo Pentium processor, the browser barely works, none of the apps work, but you can just about watch Netflix on it. Top Marks! 5 out of 5!!!”

quote:

But a lack of apps holds it back compared to the best-in-class iPad.

windows is the platform with less appealing app library