Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, every time period seems pretty much awful. The show seemed set in like the one generation before everything came together to be a good world with a bunch of scattered villages starting to form a civilization but like, I guess not after all.

This is probably only that way because we've seen all the stories from this period, and only a glimpse at the ones that came before and after largely highlighting their melancholy rather than, say, Shermy and Beth's adventures, or the strange experiences Simon had before the War.

Ditocoaf posted:

What I liked most about the show was how different storyboarders could take it in wildly different directions, and then later storyboarders try to make sure it still feels like one show, bringing back casual adventuring sometimes but sometimes trying to stitch together random lore bits. Sometimes the show was naval-gazey, sometimes it was wacky, sometimes it tried to bridge the gap between the two. It was a weird lab and playground for storytelling within a single show.

I suppose "my favorite part is that it has different parts" makes me a relatively easy viewer to please. But I still think the finale was perfect in that light -- it managed to honor almost every separate thing this show was, and still tell its own story.

Stuff like this is why I always respected Adventure Time, but found myself often not liking it; it was a wonderful lab, it experimented, it launched careers which launched careers, and was usually trying to do or say something, even if those messages sometimes landed with a thud or sailed far, far over the heads of their target audience. But it also was often scattershot and lacking cohesion. Nothing was really building to this climax, for example: the show was ending, so they mixed together all their various hanging plot threads to resolve them (and as far as shows that have done that, did a pretty good job).

I'm sad to see it go. It's important to have some things that're trying to be different out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TerminalRaptor posted:

You just made me rewatch the intro and I caught something super cool:

It's a statue of Finn fallen over.

Oh poo poo good catch, I totally missed that

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

turboraton posted:

I swear I'll never understand people whos stopped watching Adventure Time due to heavy plot. To me that's what elevates this series to 'cherished treasure' status.

Personally, for me it's just a matter of what you wanted out of the show. When I started watching the show it was primarily a jokey episodic show. My favorite episode is still probably "His Hero" which features a bunch of dumb gags like Finn and Jake trying and failing to be doctors. I couldn't have given less of a drat about the Mushroom War or Ooo's prehistory, but as time went on it seemed like the show was way interested in exploring those topics. I don't begrudge anyone for liking all that, it just wasn't my jam.

Ironically my favorite joke in the series is in Holly Jolly Secrets, which is when the show's reallore building started, when the big "You're Watching The Adventure Time Christmas Special" banner comes across the bottom of the screen while Simon's on the screen crying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gamebuddy/status/1036634602209783809?s=21

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Having only recently gotten into adventure time the past two months have been a wild ride and I am sad that it is no longer time for adventure.
The ending montage was sad and sweet, and got me choked up and a little teary-eyed :unsmith:

There's a ton of stuff I probably missed in the episode, but I'll wait for the Internet sperg brigade to dig it all up and categorize it for me.

I guess I'll be rewatching this all again in the future sometime, but right now I'm gonna take Jake's advice from the pilot and lie down and think about my feelings.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I love the irony in Sweet P becoming Shermy's Billy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIkS8eGCKOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Having just finished the finale of one of my favorite television shows ever, gotta say that was one of the most satisfying episodes of anything I have ever watched. They wrapped up pretty much everything they could have, the minutiae in scenes like BMO's future house are just ripe with callbacks and hints and the emotional themes the episode explored were just all around fantastic. The height of the series remains "I Remember You" which was what had cemented this show as a classic IMO. I hope that if they ever do reboot the show down the line for whatever reason, it focused on Shermy and Beth and the ultimate fates of the characters of Adventure Time revealed through historical lore much in the way stuff about the Mushroom War and pasts of the 1000+ year old characters was. I think that would be a cool framing device.

I plan to re-watch the entire series over the coming however long it takes with my wife, adding it to the rotation of stuff we watch together when we have the time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It ended faithfully and well.

One of these days I'm gonna go back and re-watch the whole thing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Imagine a Breath of the Wild style game where you play as Shermy and Beth wandering around Ooo and just piecing together the aftermath of the series through environmental clues and encounters with surviving NPCs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Adder Moray posted:

I love the irony in Sweet P becoming Shermy's Billy.

Because the litch is inside of him kind of like the litch was inside of Billy that one time? It tracks with the litch never completely disappearing.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Argue posted:

Imagine a Breath of the Wild style game where you play as Shermy and Beth wandering around Ooo and just piecing together the aftermath of the series through environmental clues and encounters with surviving NPCs.

I think it'd be neat.

When Adventure Time began, Finn was already notable for being a hero. The Princesses all knew him by name, he'd already created a reputation for punching buns, he had a recurring villain. Finn's adventure was less about becoming a hero than becoming a person and dealing with his own issues.

Shermy and Beth don't have that yet, if the reaction of the new Gumball Guardians and Future Banana Guards were anything to go by. Seeing them grow up into their own heroic careers would be interesting.

But, Adventure Time is over. I think it'd be best to let it lie.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

business hammocks posted:

Because the litch is inside of him kind of like the litch was inside of Billy that one time? It tracks with the litch never completely disappearing.

No. Because the Lich and Billy were mortal enemies, with the Lich eventually killing him. Sweet P likely being mentored by Finn and growing up to be the giant, ancient, legendary hero who mentors the next Finn-like figure in Ooo is poetic.

As for the Lich being in Sweet P? Nah. I choose to believe he conquered that part of himself when he literally slayed the physical manifestation of it.The Lich isn't gone, since Jake-Lich's hand fell into multiple realities, but Sweet P will never be him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Escobarbarian posted:

what the gently caress

It's an episode about ascribing narrative and I think it's genius.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The only thing I didn’t like about AT was the scheduling of the last couple seasons, wtf CN.

Awesome finale, can’t wait to rewatch the whole shebang. Looking forward to King BMO spin-off.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The story is continuing in COMIC FORM so maybe more questions will be answered.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If they continue a story, I hope it’s the Shermy and Beth one. And I hope they get people who worked on the show to do it. But also it’s fine to let things end since they wrapped the show two years ago.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
My DVR cut off the last few seconds reminding us that time is a flat circle. :smith: Otherwise, I quite enjoyed it as closure.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

It's an episode about ascribing narrative and I think it's genius.

Also it has cute cats in it! :3:

I will never understand the hate Box Prince gets.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait, are people hating on Box Prince? Why?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I loved Box Prince. it's cute and it has cats and Jake even drives the point home that the end isn't really gonna be satisfying. Wonder if he ever got that chip out

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Seems like the popular opinion.

(I think) I liked it. I haven't seen it in a few years but it was fun (i think) seeing Finn just gently caress about with some cats.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What cultural effects will this show have on the kids who watched it as they grow? It was basically a giant echo of weird poo poo the animators watched as kids—a lot of The Simpsons and a lot of anime—what hosed up poo poo will tomorrow’s art-school kids cook up?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait, are people hating on Box Prince? Why?

'cause it didn't have enough LOOOORE or smth

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Big Taint posted:

The only thing I didn’t like about AT was the scheduling of the last couple seasons, wtf CN.

The Ten Titans Go Network has had universally awful scheduling for the last several years and they're going to be in deep poo poo when TTG finally dries up unless they land another miracle.

Speaking of which, I forgot about Gumball. That's ending soon too, isn't it?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
recently there was an imgur album of every single title card.
it's good viewing, just remembering how long the show's been airing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's the building the dream is taking place in since it's the nightmare realm or whatever.

Loving the “TV-PG” logo in the upper corner.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

What cultural effects will this show have on the kids who watched it as they grow? It was basically a giant echo of weird poo poo the animators watched as kids—a lot of The Simpsons and a lot of anime—what hosed up poo poo will tomorrow’s art-school kids cook up?

Probably some CAL-ARTS BULLSHIT :arghfist::reject:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

My DVR cut off the last few seconds
:same:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also it has cute cats in it! :3:

I will never understand the hate Box Prince gets.

It's one of the few episodes I think completely nails its point and theme SO WELL that it's inevitable a lot of people don't get it.

One of the few pieces of media that really breaks down how people detect patterns and "read" into situations and the episode leaves it ambiguous whether any of it was valid. Super cool episode I love it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No idea, but I noticed they have a stylized 'A' rune on their telescope:

I would wager a guess that's Marceline. Rather than a stylized A, it looks like it's an M on top of an A, for Marceline Abadeer, she's very commonly seen in blue pants and red boots, and that stone duck has appeared once before, way back in season one... in Marcy's debut episode. So the evidence seems to point to the Vampire Queen hangs around for at least another thousand years.

So anyway. I could probably write a lot of words about that finale, but... yeah. Looks like I started watching AT in July of 2012. Six years. I don't think I've watched any other actually ongoing show to an actual finale that long. Though there's some I currently watch that I'll have been watching for longer when they actually do end.

And not even gonna try to hide that I was very happy about PB and Marcy finally, finally being confirmed as a couple. I didn't think they'd do it but I was glad to be proven wrong. Adjacent to that, I really did expect some kind of conclusion or at least reference to Finn's romantic ongoings, especially since Huntress Wizard was right there.

And hopefully the new comic series (that they're literally calling "Season 11", though Muto said he considered that a bit of a stretch since none of the show staff are involved with it) will be good. And heh, now that I think about it... the final story in the first Adventure Time comic series also had the framing device of BMO telling a story to some people in the future, with PB and Marcy still around and extremely heavily implied to be a couple.

Will happen, happening, happened.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'm guessing it's Marceline too and the prisoner in the ice kingdom is probably Pb since New Ice King has reverted to villainy and kidnapping.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
the stylized rune is a reference to Adam Muto's siganature (for example, the bottom right of this comic)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The red boots made me think of Martin from the Islands mini series (I was just rewatching random episodes of more plot notable episodes recently), but those boots are slightly different. They're entirely flat in that episode, no heel.

I don't see the stone duck in that picture, but one was mentioned as the way to find the sleeping Jake in the Prismo time loop episode.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Government Handjob posted:

I'm guessing it's Marceline too and the prisoner in the ice kingdom is probably Pb since New Ice King has reverted to villainy and kidnapping.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. So it makes perfect sense that Marcy would be looking for her.

IUG posted:

I don't see the stone duck in that picture
Uncropped:

And here it is in Evicted!:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Seeing stuff in the far future makes me feel the same way as reading the appendix timeline from Lord of the Rings. The world still goes on but everyone you know about has long gone.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This is really useful for telling me when cartoon network's scheduling went off the rails because the episodes I remember get more sporadic towards the end.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Wow. Those are so good. They go by in a flash so I didn't fully absorb how well done they are.
Cool how they all started off looking like old book covers until they gradually moved away from that aesthetic. And the separate aesthetic for each miniseries is interesting.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KennyMan666 posted:

I would wager a guess that's Marceline. Rather than a stylized A, it looks like it's an M on top of an A, for Marceline Abadeer, she's very commonly seen in blue pants and red boots, and that stone duck has appeared once before, way back in season one... in Marcy's debut episode. So the evidence seems to point to the Vampire Queen hangs around for at least another thousand years.

I kind of assumed it was simon with no real evidence except I like the idea that he somehow kept searching forever to get back with betty and never really made any progress but never gave up either than the idea she became satan and then he just said "oh weird" and died offscreen at some point never resolving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I kind of assumed it was simon with no real evidence except I like the idea that he somehow kept searching forever to get back with betty and never really made any progress but never gave up either than the idea she became satan and then he just said "oh weird" and died offscreen at some point never resolving it.

On the one hand, BMO had his glasses, I think. On the other, if he can get the crown back and reset it, he can wish for Betty back.

• Locked thread