Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Lunchabully posted:

On that subject I wish more games had System Shock 2's "you have to do everything in real time" philosophy. Or at least more immersive / horror games. Nothing like checking your map or settling in to read a bit of lore and suddenly the door next to your hiding place flies open and here comes a cyborg woman with no face howling for your blood

Alien: Isolation is one of the most immersive horror games I have ever played especially if you watched the drat Alien films growing up and got scared shitless by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Isolation was not too long

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cities Skylines is a bad game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Justin Godscock posted:

Alien: Isolation is one of the most immersive horror games I have ever played especially if you watched the drat Alien films growing up and got scared shitless by them.

Totally agreed. It's also got, conceptually speaking, some of the very best artistic production design in all of gaming. There are so many incredible machine interfaces in the game and it really makes you feel like a retro-futurist mechanic.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Civilization games are poo poo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I love Alien Isolation, and I will never play anything more than the barely-intro bits that I played. These spooky games are great, but holy cow I cannot handle them.

System Shock 2 was great, I've been playing the Prey demo and super digging it. Problem is that it crashes every few seconds, which is probably mostly due to running it on Linux via Steamplay, but I'm secretly hoping the demo itself is just crashy (old internet posts claim so) while patched retail is stable. Feedback from owners?

A good lockpicking minigame was in Thief (older ones), where again you had to do it in realtime and often in the patrol path of a guy you're trying to dodge.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

DebonaireD posted:

The hacking in system shock 2 was good because it didn't pause the outside world. Working on a computer and then you hear a creepy sound coming closer somewhere off screen was effective, like everything else in that game.

system shock 2 is best shock

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Fallout 3 nailed lockpicking. The hacking was good too.

I actually like most mini games though, even planet scanning in me2 so my brain might be a bit broken idk

the bethesda lockpick minigame is fine and I've done it so many times I can do it in my sleep but I'm so sick of the hacking minigame I might never put points in science again

Serephina posted:

I love Alien Isolation, and I will never play anything more than the barely-intro bits that I played. These spooky games are great, but holy cow I cannot handle them.

AI is a great horror game, but it would probably be a better game if it were half as long. Not that it's too thin or it's bad or anything like that, it does it's thing extremely well for the duration, but ~20 hours is a long time to subject yourself to this. They could have done exacty the same game in 2 parts and the pacing would automatically be better

Justin Godscock posted:

after finishing AI I cleared my horror backlog on steam and none of the cheesy jump scares on rails had poo poo on me

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 8, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I love RCT1/2 but Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 was also a great game, lots of visual options for everything and it looked really good for the time. I like how when you zoom out your park becomes a sea of colorful lights. The gameplay is much better than Planet Coaster in almost every way too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

poverty goat posted:

the bethesda lockpick minigame is fine and I've done it so many times I can do it in my sleep but I'm so sick of the hacking minigame I might never put points in science again

AI is a great horror game, but it would probably be a better game if it were half as long. Not that it's too thin or it's bad or anything like that, it does it's thing extremely well for the duration, but ~20 hours is a long time to subject yourself to this. They could have done exacty the same game in 2 parts and the pacing would automatically be better

after finishing AI I cleared my horror backlog on steam and none of the cheesy jump scares on rails had poo poo on me

I'd say it's about 3 hours longer than it needs to be, yeah, though it doesn't really harm my overall opinion of the game. I imagine that the devs were nervous about releasing a single-player game and having it be docked for being too short so they stuck in all the content they could.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Not an opinion but I don't know the difference between Nioh and Nier, and also not between Dark Souls and Demons Souls

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Not an opinion but I don't know the difference between Nioh and Nier, and also not between Dark Souls and Demons Souls

Demons Souls is the first Dark Souls but has its own setting, basically

Vakal
May 11, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Demons Souls is the first Dark Souls but has its own setting, basically

I would love a Demon Souls remake that added in some QoL changes from the DS games and also added in the land for that one broken pillar.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shibawanko posted:

If you put "gg" in the middle of "Nioh" it doesn't result in an offensive word. That's the key difference

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
the arcade game Gonta the Diver II, playable on MAME, is a really well done take on Qix, and even though it is adult themed, one of my favourite findings on that platform (arcade games). i wonder how well a port would have done on the snes or ps1 with the adult content removed.

sorry about that

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

pretty much. for a thing called "fantasy" it's really unimaginative and humdrum

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The closer a game sticks to real world reality, the more impactful and potentially creative it can be. Because creativity isn't about making new sexy futuristic outfits for your underage anime robot waifu, it's about creating believable human interactions.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Fantasy is perfectly good tool but most fantasy writers only use it to the same effect superpowers are used in comic books

Which is probably why horror is usually the best form of fantasy, when it's antagonistic it forces the writer to think deeper than "wouldn't it be cool if I could shoot fireballs?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Horror is the most trashy, worthless genre that is most subject to fads and tropes. It is just pure garbage and recycled scenes 99.999% of the time.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

steinrokkan posted:

Horror is the most trashy, worthless genre that is most subject to fads and tropes. It is just pure garbage and recycled scenes 99.999% of the time.

It's all jump scares, crass mutilation stuff, or simply taking agency away from the player. It's so dull.

The only time I've ever been adrenaline pumping scared in a game was playing Left 4 Dead multiplayer with goons. But that was because of the humans controlling the zombies playing mind games, not the zombies themselves.

Left 4 Dead was fun as poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Here's an unpopular opinion.

Left4Dead and Vermintide games (it's the same loving game basically) are only fun for maybe an hour maybe two tops.
They're so loving repetitive, I don't get how people keep playing them.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

oh dope posted:

It's all jump scares, crass mutilation stuff, or simply taking agency away from the player. It's so dull.

The only time I've ever been adrenaline pumping scared in a game was playing Left 4 Dead multiplayer with goons. But that was because of the humans controlling the zombies playing mind games, not the zombies themselves.

Left 4 Dead was fun as poo poo.

it was scary as gently caress playing doom in my pitch black basement when i was 10

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

The closer a game sticks to real world reality, the more impactful and potentially creative it can be. Because creativity isn't about making new sexy futuristic outfits for your underage anime robot waifu, it's about creating believable human interactions.

No it isn't

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Here's an unpopular opinion.

Left4Dead and Vermintide games (it's the same loving game basically) are only fun for maybe an hour maybe two tops.
They're so loving repetitive, I don't get how people keep playing them.

There are a bunch of different maps and a bunch of different things can happen on those maps, so it's definitely fun for a lot more than an hour or two

But not more time than it takes to, say, play all of the maps twice. I think 10 hours is probably the minimum you'd have to play L4D before you start feeling any repetition at all, assuming you play a mix of coop and versus.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

steinrokkan posted:

I dig most of your hot takes but this one sucks friend.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i got burned out on left 4 dead because, not repetition, but because of length. everyone wants to run a full chapter/story and that takes a long rear end time. It's not that fun dedicating multiple hours and if you have a party member that's kind of dumb/weak at the game it becomes a stressful chore to keep them alive through the mach

forget about the politics of versus

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

No it isn't

Ah, that's why War and Peace is considered a boring cliche while the Star Trek novels are timeless classics.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fantasy is only as good as it relates to the real world. Which ultimately means that realism, if presented well, is superior to anything else.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If only realism matters, why have fantasy at all?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Me, reading War And Peace: wow, this is so creative

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

If only realism matters, why have fantasy at all?

Because writers in general suck, and fantasy settings are a crutch for lesser authors who can't really relate to other people

2house2fly posted:

Me, reading War And Peace: wow, this is so creative

Gamers are the first people to bring out the truth: Tolstoy was a hack

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Further: why have fiction at all?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Because writers in general suck, and fantasy settings are a crutch for lesser authors who can't really relate to other people

Gamers are the first people to bring out the truth: Tolstoy was a hack

people who hate fantasy are boring loving dorks too afraid to let their mind ponder possibilities outside of their own reality, and are creatively stunted weirdos.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Further: why have fiction at all?

Because fiction allows us to explore reality.

basic hitler posted:

people who hate fantasy are boring loving dorks too afraid to let their mind ponder possibilities outside of their own reality, and are creatively stunted weirdos.

Fantasy is an excuse to be lazy in storytelling.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

My personal view is that fiction can serve a purpose as a lens to examine concepts from a perspective relatively divorced from reality, prompting re-examination of the analogues of those concepts in reality. It is merely a covenient coincidence that this opinion not only justifies but perhaps even necessitates fiction taking place in the fantasy and science fiction settings I enioy

steinrokkan posted:

Because fiction allows us to explore reality.

Guess what else allows us to explore reality:

reality

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All of the science fiction books that are good are straightforward extrapolations of current society, they don't deal with elves and orcs and hobbits.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Can't be that good if they're all just made up play-pretend fiction

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Can't be that good if they're all just made up play-pretend fiction

Yes, they are worse than pure realism.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Fantasy is an excuse to be lazy in storytelling.
Just because it’s the same Tolkien knockoff poo poo over and over again. Wow, it’s just such a coincidence that every fantasy world has orcs, elves and dwarves. Worlds that shouldn’t have any limits to the possibilities.

I’m in 100% agreement with the guy who went on a rant in this thread about eel dimensions and other crazy poo poo.

Sci-fi too. Have you seen the crazy deep sea creatures that actually exist on this planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Elder Scrolls tried making more fantasy races than the bog standard and that's why it also has furries and blacks. :v: