Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

yooooooooo First Reformed tho :worship:

Lmao bruh I feel like you and me feel very differently about that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does first reformed have king paiman too

Is it the A24 cinematic universe

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Like, almost?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First Reformed has a perfect ending imo

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone should see Dog Eat Dog before First Reformed and imagine going from one right to the other.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know "awards season" doesn't properly start for a few months yet but are there any movies, directors, performances etc. so far this year that are basically guaranteed Oscar nominations for next year?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Pretty soon, you will hear the name bo burnham more than you ever have in your lifetime.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BlacKkKlansman will 100% be in for Best Picture and probably Director. Probably Roma for the same. I think Black Panther will be nominated for Best Picture (and maybe just that except for technicals), First Reformed for Best Pic and Actor (maybe Director for nod to Schrader's career in his old age), The Favourite for it's Actresses (maybe dark horse for Picture and Director), Widows somewhere in Actresses, Director and Film depending on how it goes, I think Toni Collette will be in there for Hereditary (and that'll be it for the movie). Apparently Beautiful Boy's a sure thing for Chalamet. Backseat's probably going to be a boring nomination filler with no wins.

Maybes to Beale Street (probably good, but might get a snub for Pic and Dir so soon after Moonlight), Leave No Trace to get a female Director in there (and maybe the young girl for an 'aww' factor), Destroyer's a question mark. They might remember You Were Never Really Here but I think it'll be snubbed, First Man and A Star Is Born might be right in there or total turds. Maybe Chazelle's nom'd just to make good make for the envelope flub.

Backseat will probably be favoured over The Front Runner as a political movie, so TFR'll get completely snubbed.

Grade Eight and Sorry To Bother You haven't screened here, so :shrug:

Snoop Dogg for Best Supporting Actor in The Beach Bum.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 8, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bushisms.txt posted:

Pretty soon, you will hear the name bo burnham more than you ever have in your lifetime.

Which sucks, because he's loving terrible and Eighth Grade is the first seemingly worthwhile thing he has done in his entire life

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think Black Panther will be nominated for Best Picture (and maybe just that except for technicals)

Don't think Michael B. Jordan could get a Best Supporting Actor nomination out of it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can we give Michael b Jordan an oscar for the wire

I don't care if it doesn't make sense do it binch

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question: a while ago I read some articles - variously on Deadline, the BBC etc. - about prominent actors and directors who had pushed back against the #MeToo movement and one thing I noticed was that many of them were either French or active in French cinema, an example being Catherine Deneuve.

Obviously I'm not seeking to denigrate French cinema in particular; I know there's a lot of activity in France against harassment and assault in the entertainment business, as there is elsewhere. But is there any reason why this reaction seems to have been pronounced in France, at least enough that it's invited comment?

There's a reason "chauvinism" is a French loan-word, their reputation as decadent perverts is well earned.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lmao bruh I feel like you and me feel very differently about that ending.

actually the only part about the movie im iffy on is the ending, the rest was just so good that the ending couldve been a dog taking a poo poo and id be like :worship:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

actually the only part about the movie im iffy on is the ending, the rest was just so good that the ending couldve been a dog taking a poo poo and id be like :worship:

I can’t be bothered to dig up my post on it now, but my feeling ob the film is that, for an attempt to use The Sickness Unto Death as a means of navigating late capitalism, it’s a failure so grave that it almost feels like satire.

Schrader is so unable to conceive of a revolutionary model that he is stuck between the utter despair of suicidal martyrdom and the deadly denialism of “love wins.” He presents them as a dichotomy, when we know better that there is another way, a way out and forward.

He can grapple, soberly and seriously, for the whole feature’s runtime, with this problem, and he handles it admirably, but the problem for First Reformed isn’t a question of faith. It can’t be, because he hasn’t even investigated the path onto which we make the leap of faith.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Aw hell yeah we poo poo-talking the French? Those perfumed rapists have made me hate my life for the past year.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'ma be real salty when Regina Hall doesn't get any academy recognition for Support the Girls, in which she has by some distance the best performance I've seen this year so far. At least she'll have an outside shot at some indie awards, though.

Relatedly, is Girls Trip a fun watch?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The cat in Cat's Eye is up there with the dog in The Thing for best animal actor I've ever seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

Aw hell yeah we poo poo-talking the French? Those perfumed rapists have made me hate my life for the past year.

Do tell.

Coaaab posted:

Relatedly, is Girls Trip a fun watch?

Absolutely. Regina Hall should get an award just for being herself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

The cat in Cat's Eye is up there with the dog in The Thing for best animal actor I've ever seen.

I'll say it's probably the least bad cat acting I've seen in a movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What about Sátántangó?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The dog in the lobster was convincing as the brother.

Most tasteful death of an animal?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dogs are way better actors, cats can't be bothered.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I have the first third of a reverse John wick screenplay done but I can't decide if I'm aiming for animation or live action in the action. But with tech now, maybe just gently caress it and let heaven decide.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hope they didn't treat that cat too badly. It takes some tumbles.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bushisms.txt posted:

I have the first third of a reverse John wick screenplay done but I can't decide if I'm aiming for animation or live action in the action. But with tech now, maybe just gently caress it and let heaven decide.

I assume reverse John Wick has a cat instead of a dog and since recent discussion concluded that cats are lazy rear end in a top hat actors, go for animation.

otoh if the story is that John Wick gets murdered and the cat takes revenge, just use a regular cat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

I hope they didn't treat that cat too badly. It takes some tumbles.

It was probably several different similar looking cats.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MyGC4MY0b0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was probably several different similar looking cats.

Of course you're right, but their acting was so good that I just assumed it was one very talented cat. In reality, 12 different ones were used.

Same animal trainer as Babe!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a reason "chauvinism" is a French loan-word, their reputation as decadent perverts is well earned.

As a pervert myself, I'd ask that you please refrain from comparing me to the French.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The French have invaded Brooklyn like it's god drat 11th century England, and I can't seem to get a job in a restaurant that isn't French-owned or operated. The restaurant world is toxic as it is, but when the unskilled boss who's literally breathing down your neck is some fat lascivious French imbecile with blonde highlights in his receding hair, any level of workplace toxicity, including the presence of actual toxic chemicals, seems preferable.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If you liked First Reformed and then I highly recommend the mini-series Broken with Sean Bean as a Catholic priest. Or Rev with Tom Hollander as an Anglican one in East London.

Actually come to think of it, all of these stumble upon the same themes but express them in different ways. A Holy Trinity if you will.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

Apparently Edgar wright is working on a documentary for a band called the Sparks, and he just put out a playlist for Twitter.

https://open.spotify.com/user/edgar_wright/playlist/46TVLiwHDx5mJRBbSiM2aR?nd=1

Never heard of 'em, but dig it. Their earlier stuff has a great Hall & Oates sound, and the new stuff is a lot of fun too, with maybe A Flock of Seagulls or Oingo Boingo vibe? I'm pretty dumb about music so that may be way off.

Either way, Edith Pilaf (Said It Better Than Me) is a hot jam.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan Smithee posted:

Insurance I hope

Until the divorce is finalized I am riding the everloving poo poo out of my ex's insurance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So a friend of mine was concerned about me and just randomly popped over (her daughter lives in the next building over). Wound up talking for like two hours, and she said she's going to cover my September rent, and because she works for Charter (in sales), she's going to flag my account so it doesn't get shut off for being past-due.

I truly do have better friends than I deserve.

feedmyleg posted:

Never heard of 'em, but dig it. Their earlier stuff has a great Hall & Oates sound, and the new stuff is a lot of fun too, with maybe A Flock of Seagulls or Oingo Boingo vibe? I'm pretty dumb about music so that may be way off.

Either way, Edith Pilaf (Said It Better Than Me) is a hot jam.

"Oingo Boingo meets Hall & Oates" is a pretty perfect way to describe their sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dqCQ2MHfQ

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 8, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Of course you're right, but their acting was so good that I just assumed it was one very talented cat. In reality, 12 different ones were used.

Same animal trainer as Babe!

It's how they ended up with a mass grave of dead dogs on Milo and Otis or whatever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bushisms.txt posted:

Apparently Edgar wright is working on a documentary for a band called the Sparks, and he just put out a playlist for Twitter.

https://open.spotify.com/user/edgar_wright/playlist/46TVLiwHDx5mJRBbSiM2aR?nd=1

They're just called Sparks and if there was any justice in the world they'd be way bigger than they are. At least one of their music videos was directed by David Lynch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH5USLpPa_0

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 8, 2018

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know "awards season" doesn't properly start for a few months yet but are there any movies, directors, performances etc. so far this year that are basically guaranteed Oscar nominations for next year?

Be prepared for "Oscar-nominated actress Lady Gaga". Maybe even winner, but Lead Actress is starting to look interesting.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Spatula City posted:

Be prepared for "Oscar-nominated actress Lady Gaga". Maybe even winner, but Lead Actress is starting to look interesting.

I can see maybe a nomination, but winner is going to go to Stone/Colman/Weisz or Viola Davis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, Widows looks like it could well take the crown for "best movie adapted from a tv show" from The Fugitive. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
lol this italian woman was talkin to me at a party going "This whole consent thing here - I do not understand it. It seems like - uh, 'mental chains'"

• Locked thread