Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New season of Narcos moves to Mexico and stars Diego Luna and Michael Pena. Will definitely be watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

New season of Narcos moves to Mexico and stars Diego Luna and Michael Pena. Will definitely be watching.

Let's hope no one else working on the show gets killed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The MSJ posted:

Let's hope no one else working on the show gets killed.

what?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/narcos-shot-murdered-location-scout-mexico-120

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

drat that's awful.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
So Black Panther is fine. People are seriously talking about it as a possible Best Picture nominee/winner?

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Human Tornada posted:

So Black Panther is fine. People are seriously talking about it as a possible Best Picture nominee/winner?

You're missing the historical context of a movie where superheroes punch each other and Michael B. Jordan takes of his shirt.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Human Tornada posted:

The Academy was considering adding a Popular Movie category this year and Black Panther was a shoe-in but now there's some controversy and they won't have that category this year

I doubt it's going to be a contender for Best Picture but who knows

I could see Michael B. Jordan getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actor but that's about it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The movie is important in that it’s pretty much the first major Hollywood superhero blockbuster directed by a black dude and a 99% black cast. Aside from the performance by Jordan, everything about it is average superhero fare.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just watched Black Panther and wow, that was a real dull piece of poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jose Oquendo posted:

The movie is important in that it’s pretty much the first major Hollywood superhero blockbuster directed by a black dude and a 99% black cast. Aside from the performance by Jordan, everything about it is average superhero fare.

That's not even really true though because shaft exists. Which is essentially a super hero movie and saved MGM from bankruptcy.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I remember the only negative review on RT said that the movie had too much talking and not enough of Black Panther beating up baddies. The review obviously caught a poo poo-storm from everyone, but I completely agreed with it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite scene in black panther is the climax when two non textured cgi characters do backflips in an empty black void for a while.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jose Oquendo posted:

That’s a lot of qualifiers to ignore all the other superhero movies black people have made. Why not cut to the chase and admit it’s the first marvel movie with a black director and cast?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Black Panther had about 5 good movies you could have made out of what they stuffed into it. I wish they'd just picked one and given it the time to breathe, because there was lots of good there.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Can we all just agree that Meteor Man is the greatest black superhero movie of all time?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Filthy Hans posted:

The Academy was considering adding a Popular Movie category this year and Black Panther was a shoe-in but now there's some controversy and they won't have that category this year

I doubt it's going to be a contender for Best Picture but who knows

I could see Michael B. Jordan getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actor but that's about it

Black Panther is absolutely getting a Best Picture nomination. I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying it's getting a nomination.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Can we all just agree that Meteor Man is the greatest black superhero movie of all time?

Pfffff someone’s never seen Blankman

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

a sexual elk posted:

It was a toss-up between Meteor Man or Blankman, but if we're picking academy worthy options, then MM is my choice.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

a sexual elk posted:

You beat me to it!

That's the only movie I have ever walked out of in my life.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

You beat me to it!

That's the only movie I have ever walked out of in my life.

It’s the only movie I own on Blu-ray

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BisterdDave posted:

Sorry dude, Meteor Man is boring as gently caress.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The_Rob posted:

That's not even really true though because shaft exists. Which is essentially a super hero movie and saved MGM from bankruptcy.

It's also a not true because after looking through the photos of the actors on imbd, it's only about 82% black and white that's counting all the people without photos as black.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Speaking of black superheroes, I watched Spawn a couple months ago and it has maybe the worst CGI I've ever seen

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Filthy Hans posted:

Speaking of black superheroes, I watched Spawn a couple months ago and it has maybe the worst CGI I've ever seen

This is why I'm fascinated to see how stuff like Thanos ages. I remember seeing Spawn in theaters when it came out, and watching half-hour behind the scenes previews about it on Sci-Fi channel. Spawn was like, an effects movie at the time of its release. If I remember correctly the director was like, one of the cgi guys who worked on Jurassic Park or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even back when it came out I thought it looked bad.

I wish more movies took the Jurassic Park route of using practical effects whenever possible and using CGI for the impossible. I think the effects will hold up in JP beyond any of these marvel movies that basically look like really detailed cartoons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Spawn was bizarrely bad even when it was new. It's like the anti-Mortal Kombat.

Like hey I love me some 90s John Leguizamo but the Clown is not exactly as good a role as Spider Mike.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I'd argue one of the most egregious things about Spawn is actually its insane-rear end editing. Its borderline incoherent from scene-to-scene for a good portion of its runtime.

I have never seen so many flaming transition wipes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wasn't the reason the hell stuff looked so atrocious was because the effects studio that got the job for that stuff didn't know what they were doing and handed in terrible looking work they had to cut around and redo to even make it halfway serviceable?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Human Tornada posted:

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

You're missing the historical context of a movie where superheroes punch each other and Michael B. Jordan takes of his shirt.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just watched Black Panther and wow, that was a real dull piece of poo poo.

BisterdDave posted:

I remember the only negative review on RT said that the movie had too much talking and not enough of Black Panther beating up baddies. The review obviously caught a poo poo-storm from everyone, but I completely agreed with it.

The_Rob posted:

My favorite scene in black panther is the climax when two non textured cgi characters do backflips in an empty black void for a while.

SO EDGY

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Re: Full Metal Jacket. If you're going to watch it (again) read this short book first. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25783307-mcnamara-s-folly

quote:

On the day in 1967 when Hamilton Gregory reported to a Tennessee induction center to begin his service in the U.S. Army, a sergeant presented him to another young man who was also headed to Fort Benning, Georgia, to start basic training. The other new soldier’s name was Johnny Gupton, or so Gregory calls him. “I want you to take charge of Gupton,” the sergeant told Gregory. Before they boarded the bus to the airport, the sergeant handed Gregory Gupton’s paperwork along with his own, to carry on the trip.

In the next hours and days, Gregory discovered why the sergeant had put Gupton in his care. Gupton could not read or write. He didn’t know his home address or what state he was from, so he could not send the pre-stamped postcard the new recruits were given at Benning to tell their families they had arrived. He didn’t know his next of kin’s full name, didn’t know that there was a war in Vietnam, and couldn’t tie the laces on his combat boots.

How did a man so obviously unfit for service get drafted? A slipup? Far from it. Gupton was one of more than 350,000 other young men drafted during the Vietnam war under a deliberate policy requiring that nearly a third of all military recruits should be drawn from men with general aptitude test scores at the bottom or for a certain percentage below the minimum standard

quote:

Joe Galloway, a war correspondent who won a Bronze Star with V in Vietnam for carrying wounded men to safety at the battle of Ia Drang, wrote a column shortly after McNamara died. Entitled 100,000 Reasons to Shed No Tears for McNamara he wrote that Project 100,000 men were, "to put it bluntly, mentally deficient. Illiterate. Mostly black and redneck whites, hailing from the mean big city ghettos and the remote Appalachian valleys."

"By drafting them the Pentagon would not have to draft an equal number of middle class and elite college boys whose mothers would raise hell with their representatives in Washington. The young men of Project 100,000 couldn’t read… They had to be taught to tie their boots. They often failed (in basic training), and were recycled over and over until they finally reached some low standard and were declared trained and ready."

"They could not be taught any more demanding job than trigger-pulling, so most of them went straight into combat where the learning curve is steep and deadly. The cold, hard statistics say that these almost helpless young men died in action in the jungles a rate three times higher than the average draftee…The Good Book says we must forgive those who trespass against us–but what about those who trespass against the most helpless among us, those willing to conscript the mentally handicapped, the most innocent, and turn them into cannon fodder?"

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Haha I actually love Black Panther. It's in my top five movies of the year. It was a different experience seeing black people act authentically black in a superhero movie. As a black man I give it a 10 out of 10.

With that said, it was still just a movie about some dudes punching some other dudes while some ladies threw hands at some other ladies and a white dude ran around terrified of all the Black Excellence. Also rhinos for pets who also gently caress poo poo up.

E: My review score has been adjusted due to rhinos. It's now a full 11/10.

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 9, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Yeah dude we're trying to be edgy by saying that a superhero movie was a pretty generic super hero movie. drat people better watch out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I can't imagine a movie edgier than Black Panther. Make a movie about an uncolonized and super-advanced African country, then make sure the movie had a white CIA agent use a drone to save all the white leaders of the world from black people.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also creed should have been nominated for a best picture award if we're giving Ryan couglar some props. That's one of my favorite movies In the last ten years.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just about turned the movie off when the coup or civil war or whatever was 100 idiots wearing red and blue punching each other in an empty field. And every interior was an ultramodern nightmare, like they filmed exclusively in the loft apartments of Scandinavian millionaires. Anything having to do with vibranium tech was completely generic sci-fi chrome nonsense. Just a complete lack of visual imagination in the cinematography and production design.

The movie also had some serious script problems -- just awful dialogue, particularly in constant, unnecessary cuts to people commenting or reacting to action.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 9, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone who is doing the sane thing and watching Children of Men, go watch it a second time and notice little details like Theo lights up repeatedly but never finishes a cigarette.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyone who is doing the sane thing and watching Children of Men, go watch it a second time and notice little details like Theo lights up repeatedly but never finishes a cigarette.

I watched it baked and it straight up gave me a panic attack. Just an overwhelming sense of doom. Death is one thing but the idea of our race ending fuuucked me up.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Haha I actually love Black Panther. It's in my top five movies of the year. It was a different experience seeing black people act authentically black in a superhero movie. As a black man I give it a 10 out of 10.

With that said, it was still just a movie about some dudes punching some other dudes while some ladies threw hands at some other ladies and a white dude ran around terrified of all the Black Excellence. Also rhinos for pets who also gently caress poo poo up.

E: My review score has been adjusted due to rhinos. It's now a full 11/10.

I was immediately credulous at the hiring of a British actor to play an American CIA agent. And Killmonger was correct to send weapons to poor people to murder the rich and powerful. gently caress Black Panther he sucks.

a sexual elk posted:

I watched it baked and it straight up gave me a panic attack. Just an overwhelming sense of doom. Death is one thing but the idea of our race ending fuuucked me up.

I liked the little detail of the youngest person in the world becoming a celebrity. And the suicide pills being advertised on TV. Just lots of really morbid details for a dying world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

red19fire posted:

I was immediately credulous at the hiring of a British actor to play an American CIA agent. And Killmonger was correct to send weapons to poor people to murder the rich and powerful. gently caress Black Panther he sucks.

Killmonger and The Vulture are the only villains in the MCU that actually have legitimate gripes that can be sympathized with. Everybody else are just cackling madmen who wanna Destroy Da World.

Meanwhile Killmonger making a good point on the topic of rich people and how much they suck and should die. And The Vulture is making a less extreme point of "gently caress rich people. Steal their property." I'm on board with these guys.