Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Whenever they talk about Chef on Enterprise, I always imagine that he's the Swedish chef.

In his only on-screen appearance, you can only see his chef's coat and human hands, which seems to confirm my suspicions, and is now official head canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I’m almost done with Voyager. Only a few episodes left. Season 7 has been actually pretty good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Windows 98 posted:

I’m almost done with Voyager. Only a few episodes left. Season 7 has been actually pretty good.
I will be curious about your thoughts on Endgame. It’s an odd finale.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

No Chekov? drat that's cold.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And Scotty has too many fingers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, if there was ever a context where his amputation would fit right in...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

In context, what would Scotty be? What's the equivalent position on a tall ship? Leading craftsman?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Master and Commander is one of the top five Star Trek movies.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

In context, what would Scotty be? What's the equivalent position on a tall ship? Leading craftsman?

Ship's Carpenter

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

galenanorth posted:

DS9 S07E22, "Tacking into the Wind": Gowron is acting like a Valiant cadet in this and the previous episode. The Federation-Klingon-Romulan Alliance is closer than ever to ending the war, so he wants all the glory for himself, sending troops into self-destructive "out-numbered a kajillion to one" battles instead of picking and choosing them. That's bound to happen when, according to Martok, political leaders can be challenged on the basis of cowardice, but not on the basis of recklessness.

Edit: Go Worf! That was a great battle scene. S07E23 is like Inception in the best way.

That's one episode I really remember watching when it was originally on.
Gowron being killed was so absolutely shocking. Stuff like that just didn't happen. Even though it was really late on in the series and it was obviously about to end I just couldn't believe they'd killed Gowron after so long. But at the same time I totally bought him doing what he did - he came across as worried about Martok a few times before that too.

Incidentally when the finale of DS9 originally aired my power went off just as Martok and Sisko are talking on the monitors. I didn't get to actually see it until about 10 years later when I bought them on DVD. It's insane how much TV has changed in the interim.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmbo what the hell

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on here but it reminded me that Barry Jenner is dead. RIP one of the few non-lovely Trek admirals.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I remember Kirk Spock and McCoy being posted before.

Though... shouldn't Kirk at least have the shoulder epaulettes?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on here but it reminded me that Barry Jenner is dead. RIP one of the few non-lovely Trek admirals.

He is? Aw, man. :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

shouldn't Kirk at least have the shoulder epaulettes?

Sorry those are for Commodores

Kirk busted himself back to Captain

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Couple of years ago. Leukemia, as I recall.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fornax Disaster posted:

Master and Commander is one of the top five Star Trek movies.

Conversely, Star Trek II is one of the best submarine movies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Jesus died for your great link

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nice little cameo by the Vasquez Rocks.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Also, Bones has Romulan Ale, Sulu is holding a sword, and Uhura has a chart of signal flags.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Bloop posted:

Sorry those are for Commodores

Kirk busted himself back to Captain

Nope, these are clearly post-1795 Royal Navy uniforms so a commander would wear one epaulette on the left shoulder and a post captain of under three years seniority one on the right; over three years wears two.

McNally fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 9, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Af0Tvk5B0

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McNally posted:

Nope, these are clearly post-1795 Royal Navy uniforms so a commander would wear one epaulette on the left shoulder and a post captain of under three years seniority one on the right; over three years wears two.
I wasn't being serious, but that's actually somewhat interesting, thanks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fornax Disaster posted:

Also, Bones has Romulan Ale, Sulu is holding a sword, and Uhura has a chart of signal flags.

Scotty with the blueprints for the ship.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

So I finished Voyager. I thought the series finale was pretty decent. I’m sort of a sucker for time travel stuff so I was totally chill with Catherine “I hate time fuckery” Janeway deciding to gently caress with time. I think Voyager was a pretty good series. Mostly the entire show was decent except for a few bad episodes. It’s remarkably consistent. However that consistency also means that there are only a few exceptionally good episodes. The Year From Hell was basically the peak of the show for me. I won’t be watching it again any time soon but I’m glad I finished it.

I started Enterprise and holy poo poo that cannot be the intro music for real is it?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Windows 98 posted:

I started Enterprise and holy poo poo that cannot be the intro music for real is it?

You clearly have no faith of the heart.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Windows 98 posted:

So I finished Voyager. I thought the series finale was pretty decent. I’m sort of a sucker for time travel stuff so I was totally chill with Catherine “I hate time fuckery” Janeway deciding to gently caress with time. I think Voyager was a pretty good series. Mostly the entire show was decent except for a few bad episodes. It’s remarkably consistent. However that consistency also means that there are only a few exceptionally good episodes. The Year From Hell was basically the peak of the show for me. I won’t be watching it again any time soon but I’m glad I finished it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Enterprise's theme should have been a pastiche of something like the theme to The Right Stuff or some WWII adventure film, since they seemed to be grasping for that "Square-Jawed Americans Humans Boldly Doing A Big Project" movie sort of thing. But no, they had to go with that darn thing.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Good lord this is the worst intro music I’ve ever heard to any show ever made

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

(I’m sure I will be singing along soon enough)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Windows 98 posted:

It actually gets worse

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Windows 98 posted:

This is the song’s worst crime IMO. It’s a limp adult-contemporary soft rock song that’s entirely incongruous with the clips of daring exploration that it’s played over, but it’s also just enough of an earworm (in a vacuum) that you end up memorizing the lyrics completely by accident.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think I've said it before, but part of what makes it so bad is that the closing credit's song, "Archer's Theme", is a perfectly functional, if not particularly great song, and would have worked ok as an opening song. Here are the opening credits with Archer's Theme over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-oRAcb6YaE

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And just to recap for anyone who doesn't know, it's written by the same person who wrote the Aerosmith song in Armageddon. (Which becomes extremely apparent when you listen to the full version and how it goes into the bridge.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The song was a real shame because visually the ENT credits are perfect for the intent of the series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Epicurius posted:

I think I've said it before, but part of what makes it so bad is that the closing credit's song, "Archer's Theme", is a perfectly functional, if not particularly great song, and would have worked ok as an opening song. Here are the opening credits with Archer's Theme over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-oRAcb6YaE

You're right, it is functional in that it contains music in an intelligible progression. It is also grossly uninspiring and frankly a bit schmaltzy with that lovely electric guitar which lacks any impact beyond enducing an eyeroll.

Archer's Theme is dogshit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Faith of the Heart is a perfect summary of Enterprise because apparently everybody told Rick Berman it was a terrible choice but he just went 'gently caress y'all I like it' and rammed it through.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

Faith of the Heart is a perfect summary of Enterprise because apparently everybody told Rick Berman it was a terrible choice but he just went 'gently caress y'all I like it' and rammed it through.

Rick Berman was still on Enterprise? Does that man never give it a rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really dislike Faith of the Heart

It's still the weakest opening though.

Late season DS9 reworkmay be worse but not worse than late season Enterprise rework, so they keep the title.

It's fine, though, if a bit cheesy