Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Matchmaking with a full four-squad* has resulted in 2+ minutes of searching and then a crash to main menu for me on xbone multiple times. Anyone else experience this?

*I take issue with the reduction from 5 even if it makes sense to have it even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress even numbered squads. It was bad enough that I could only play with 4 of my friends in past games, now I can only play with 3 of them?

Not to mention the ridiculous decision to make it impossible to join your friends’ game if their squad is full. Ok their squad is full, just put me in their game, even if it’s on the other team. Nope. Not possible.

:dice:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How are you scouts adjusting to the Lee Enfield? I'm finding it really hard to. It's extremely hard to use iron sights compared to 1. I came late to the Scout wagon and was hooked once I got the rhythm down (and unlocking the Lebel). Any tips?

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
this "tides of war" bullshit to get a beta dog tag can suck several dicks.

the last condition of "win 1 grand operation" is impossible.
after two days of endless hours playing that map I haven't seen a single win or loss, it's always a draw. they need a third loving round for a best of three.
seriously, if I was on an actual losing team I would be happier than watching each team win one round each over and over again.

:dice:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

RCarr posted:

It feels nothing like BF1 :psyduck:

Sounds like I'll have a reason to restart my XBL subscription!

Maybe not though, BF1 being such a boring game gave me so much free time back.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Don't be too down about the dogs of war thing/assignments in general, I have noticed they can be pretty buggy on what actually finishes them. I have had 2 Grand operation related assignments complete themselves with definite objectives left, like the arm 10 bombs one (holy poo poo)

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Jimbot posted:

Anyone have any problems where the game won't let you spawn with a certain weapon? I unlocked the second medic weapon but I keep getting the "spawn point isn't available any more" error when I try to spawn with it in my loadout.

Yeah, I had the same thing happening yesterday. When I switched in-game to the Bren, I couldn't spawn. I could spawn with all my other classes without a problem, but not with the class I had just changed.
Then later I quit the game, changed my loadout to include the Bren and I could spawn next game.

Is it possible to have different loadouts per class by the way? If so, how do I do that?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Don't be too down about the dogs of war thing/assignments in general, I have noticed they can be pretty buggy on what actually finishes them. I have had 2 Grand operation related assignments complete themselves with definite objectives left, like the arm 10 bombs one (holy poo poo)

The description of the assignments sometimes says 'complete any 2 (or 3)' so that's not a bug.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 8, 2018

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Is it possible to have different loadouts per class by the way? If so, how do I do that?

Sort of. You can have duplicate guns upgraded in different ways. Armor->Weapons->Class->Select the gun you want->"Get One More" in the bottom left

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Sounds like I'll have a reason to restart my XBL subscription!

Maybe not though, BF1 being such a boring game gave me so much free time back.

Download the beta and play w me

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the beta is really unfun, the usually excellent sound design seems to have taken a giant step back and i don't know why they even put rotterdam in when they didn't make the fight for it resemble reality in any way at all

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Davincie posted:

the beta is really unfun, the usually excellent sound design seems to have taken a giant step back and i don't know why they even put rotterdam in when they didn't make the fight for it resemble reality in any way at all

Rotterdam got hosed up during ww2 and rebuild after the war. So maybe they based it on old photographs or something? Or maybe they just slapped a name on a city map :shrug:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they did get the look of the city as it was then somewhat right but who fought there and the locations they fight is off. no tanks and brits in reality! they could however add a ship.

really i think im just annoyed the removed the actual country that fought there. if they wanted a dutch city battle with brits or americans that hasn't been in games they could have done that actually happened like appingedam, eindhoven, delfzijl or groningen or overloon for a tank battle

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Is it possible to make black female Waffen SS troopers when you play as the germans? Because it was, I'd be tempted to pick the game up just for the hilarity value. I don't know if I'd ever want to play as any other character, really.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
In an attempt to not have tanks do that loving lovely wiggle bullshit when I try to turn in place I switched to the veteran controller layout. Only to find it doesn't have a loving zoom?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The more of this I play the less I like it. I just have so many mechanical quibbles with the way they set up gun acquisition and especially gun leveling. I also don't like the bleeding out, since its just useless (whereas in 1 you can at least skip it), and basically nobody bothers to revive because for whatever reason the universal squad only revive thing seems to have convinced many, many medics to just ignore non squad dead teammates. The damage model seems all hosed up, I've had so many frustrating shots where I empty half a mag into someone for 82 damage and then get sniped, it seems like I'm either just dying instantly or failing to kill people.

It also feels empty and chaotic. Like the team doesn't organize at all (can you spawn on nonsquad vehicles? I think so) so its just a bunch of smaller squads kinda running around aimlessly, or its a big train of everyone just running from objective to objective. its especially bad on Narvik when you parachute in and die instantly, or parachute in, watch an idiot grab the bomb and run right up a hill and die, then repeat it over and over til you lose.

I definitely like BF1 more right now. Its frustrating because I want to buy this game to anger chuds and I also think it looks really slick, the animations are great and it runs hella well on my ancient computer. I also like the vehicle aesthetic, but the soldiers look awful rn, the Germans look like Yugoslav border patrol circa 1975 or something.

I hope they fix a lot of stuff on release because, as I understand it, this will be the first one since BC2 not to have a horrible extractive DLC model that requires me to quit the game for two years and then buy premium on sale?

ed: and that isnt even thinking about the unbelievably poor menu design for the armory and stuff, holy poo poo, so many stupid screens to click through (oh hey you can't see your class level in the armory, gotta go to your company to see that, but gotta go to the armory to unlock, or some poo poo, ugh) combined with the levelling up weapons so they become super dope probably ruining balance thing. and how useless grenades are - 14 damage with a rifle grenade direct hit is absolutely horrible. Also the tanks need some work, the machine guns feel very wrong.

I was on board with the limited ammo thing at first but it means you rely on teammates hitting 3 unless you've taken a bunch of points and rebuilt the ammo dump, many of which re very hard for tanks to even physically get to. also repairing from outside a tank is basically useless, you repair at maybe 1/4th the rate you did in older games, thus making it basically unusable in combat and therefore useless because the driver can use X for better, faster repairs when they're not firing. Unless I'm missing something

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 8, 2018

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

ZeusCannon posted:

In an attempt to not have tanks do that loving lovely wiggle bullshit when I try to turn in place I switched to the veteran controller layout. Only to find it doesn't have a loving zoom?

Up on d pad.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Battlefield 5: I want to die.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Good job, DICE.

Lmao at these

Frog Act posted:

I definitely like BF1 more right now. Its frustrating because I want to buy this game to anger chuds

Don’t do this. You should only get the game if you think it’s fun (which you obviously don’t)

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Frog Act posted:

The more of this I play the less I like it. I just have so many mechanical quibbles with the way they set up gun acquisition and especially gun leveling. I also don't like the bleeding out, since its just useless (whereas in 1 you can at least skip it), and basically nobody bothers to revive because for whatever reason the universal squad only revive thing seems to have convinced many, many medics to just ignore non squad dead teammates. The damage model seems all hosed up, I've had so many frustrating shots where I empty half a mag into someone for 82 damage and then get sniped, it seems like I'm either just dying instantly or failing to kill people.

It also feels empty and chaotic. Like the team doesn't organize at all (can you spawn on nonsquad vehicles? I think so) so its just a bunch of smaller squads kinda running around aimlessly, or its a big train of everyone just running from objective to objective. its especially bad on Narvik when you parachute in and die instantly, or parachute in, watch an idiot grab the bomb and run right up a hill and die, then repeat it over and over til you lose.

I definitely like BF1 more right now. Its frustrating because I want to buy this game to anger chuds and I also think it looks really slick, the animations are great and it runs hella well on my ancient computer. I also like the vehicle aesthetic, but the soldiers look awful rn, the Germans look like Yugoslav border patrol circa 1975 or something.

I hope they fix a lot of stuff on release because, as I understand it, this will be the first one since BC2 not to have a horrible extractive DLC model that requires me to quit the game for two years and then buy premium on sale?

ed: and that isnt even thinking about the unbelievably poor menu design for the armory and stuff, holy poo poo, so many stupid screens to click through (oh hey you can't see your class level in the armory, gotta go to your company to see that, but gotta go to the armory to unlock, or some poo poo, ugh) combined with the levelling up weapons so they become super dope probably ruining balance thing. and how useless grenades are - 14 damage with a rifle grenade direct hit is absolutely horrible. Also the tanks need some work, the machine guns feel very wrong.

I was on board with the limited ammo thing at first but it means you rely on teammates hitting 3 unless you've taken a bunch of points and rebuilt the ammo dump, many of which re very hard for tanks to even physically get to. also repairing from outside a tank is basically useless, you repair at maybe 1/4th the rate you did in older games, thus making it basically unusable in combat and therefore useless because the driver can use X for better, faster repairs when they're not firing. Unless I'm missing something

I agree with a lot of this and feel like all of the things they changed from Battlefield 1 are downgrades. A lot of stuff just doesn’t feel is good and that makes it less fun.

I remember the first time shooting an at rocket and blowing a hole in a building, or doing the same with a field gun. The panzerfaust in this game feels clunky and awful compared to it. Grenade throwing feels awkward and terrible and does super low damage. Bayonets were super fun. I just don’t feel like they added anything to the game to justify removing all of these other fun mechanics and gadgets

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
sometimes your tank just disappears y'know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIgNdYimAuo

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

A third of a team being snipers was bearable when they had to deal with leading and bullet drop, but I’m afraid an upgrade for instant-travel bullets is going to suck.

Are there no special classes or behemoths? Those were fun. I played a few more matches last night and it just feels like a step backwards. I know it’s the beta, but I’m not expecting anything other than minor changes. Did they try to make this on half staff or is this a result of pulling everyone away from their work to do the last minute battle royale mode?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I went and played Battlefield 1 today after playing the beta for a few days and it’s an improvement in literally every aspect.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Frog Act posted:

ed: and that isnt even thinking about the unbelievably poor menu design for the armory and stuff, holy poo poo, so many stupid screens to click through
I'm on PS4, and just trying to adjust basic menu settings is a loving chore. Whoever thought of putting plain white text with no drop shadow or box or anything behind it, over a bunch of bloomed-out, moving backgrounds (so that different parts of the menu are unreadable at different times) should be loving fired immediately.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The menu system is impressive in terms of how bad it is relative to how much work was put into it

E: The scummiest thing in the world is hiding the "quit" button in the post-game menu by forcing you to mouse over the "continue" button to make it appear

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 8, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

The menu system is impressive in terms of how bad it is relative to how much work was put into it

E: The scummiest thing in the world is hiding the "quit" button in the post-game menu by forcing you to mouse over the "continue" button to make it appear

First time around I couldn't find it at all and tried to ctrlaltdel and it froze my computer, requiring a hard restart.

RCarr posted:

I went and played Battlefield 1 today after playing the beta for a few days and it’s an improvement in literally every aspect.

Yeah I hopped over after a frustrating Narvik slog into Soissons (with teh big central bridge on C that can collapse, usually towards the end of a long match) and it was so much better, the ballistics, especially support, felt sane again and aesthetically the soldiers are just in another straosphere. Like French and Russian soldiers look incredible, then in BFV the German soldiers are just this confusing gray blob

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I just had one of those perfect time and place moments on ballroom. I was running up to c from a when 6 or 7 enemies came from the courtyard towards b. I have a clip but it cut off the first 4 kills I got with the Howell. Ended up 53-7 using the Howell, it's a monster.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/baconfeet/video/60021138

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Dropping a JB-2 on a point for 15 kills is better than anything I ever did in a behemoth.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Live At Five! posted:

I just had one of those perfect time and place moments on ballroom. I was running up to c from a when 6 or 7 enemies came from the courtyard towards b. I have a clip but it cut off the first 4 kills I got with the Howell. Ended up 53-7 using the Howell, it's a monster.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/baconfeet/video/60021138

This is the BF:V thread mate

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

actually this thread is for the fifth Battlefield, Battlefield 1

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I believe you'll find that this is actually the thread for BF1, the fifth mainline battlefield game.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

lmao

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Battlefield 1, the 5th Battlefield: Battlefield V (BF: 6) chat

Should I just get BF:1 if I wanted BF:V to be more like BF1942

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I mean, I don't hate BF:V or anything, but you oughta get BF1 cause it's pretty drat fun. The single player is not totally terrible, and the multiplayer is fantastic. I really like operations though, and hardcore, and all the guns and the vehicles, and even WW1. If those sound like dealbreakers to you (aside from hardcore and operations which you have the option of not doing), maybe don't. But if you want a really good battlefield game, then yeah, pick it up.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BF1 is drat cheap and great value for your money. I'm waiting myself on BFV until the devs know what kind of game want.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Battlefield 1, the 5th Battlefield: Battlefield V (BF: 6) chat

Should I just get BF:1 if I wanted BF:V to be more like BF1942

they're giving away the premium pass in like 2 or 3 days for free, it's pretty hard to argue against trying it out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Whoever worked on the chat filter is a true master.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObservantIronicCheddarImGlitch

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/battlefield-v/battlefield-5-war-stories-the-last-tiger

lol, so you couldnt play as the central powers in 1 but you can now play as the germens in V. loving lol. my guess is they will defect or surrender but lol.

least the chuds arn't happy.

Also, by the time the siege of Berlin was happening, the Wehrmacht for the most part full of kids and really old people and the SS were mostly eastern europian and french facists recruits. so have fun playing as some dumb hitler youth kids and grandpa. and then shooting each other out of fear of the soviet death army.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 9, 2018

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The fact that this game is pissing off The Worst People is the main reason I want it to be good. Imagine how more insufferable they'll be if it comes out and sucks. They won't be talking about the changed game mechanics, it'll be endless harping on about it failing due to "SJW pandering" and god I already want to feed the scrotes into a woodchipper feet first.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Imagine the prostethic limbs being locked behind “fall from ___ number roofs/take 1000 points from grenades in one round” challenges

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"Developer being political" or "politicizing escapism" is such a dog-whistle and it has been for years. It's all just "they're adding things I don't like" to video games. What's sad is that's the norm go-to argument these days. Manchildren who don't want to share their toys with those "OTHERS".

Oh no, perspectives that differ from mine. How day they cram that stuff down our throats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

No but you NEED a blue scope and a shiny polished magazine and leaves tied to your handguard and a lovely rotted stock

...i will say the "factory new" buttstock for the FG42 looks retarded.