Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

XBenedict posted:

Is there FFP in the National?

No, only in the Football league

Conference teams can still roll the dice on impossible budgets and go broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
any better deals for 2019 than the 10% steam preorder one?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bea Nanner posted:

any better deals for 2019 than the 10% steam preorder one?

sortitoutsi.net do a discount thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I Instant Result most matches, so don't get a chance to notice, but we just had a female referee for a Friendly match

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

I Instant Result most matches

Good lord.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

That is a special kind of sickness to instant result most matches.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I don’t think I’ll ever instant result a match. I don’t trust the AI not to do something stupid.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

kingturnip posted:

I Instant Result most matches, so don't get a chance to notice, but we just had a female referee for a Friendly match

She’s hot.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

XBenedict posted:

She’s hot.

I’m swiping right on those Mo Bamba arms

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

:ohdear:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Weedle posted:

I don’t think I’ll ever instant result a match. I don’t trust the AI not to do something stupid.

This forever. You can put in your Starting XI that had just humped Juve 10-0 in the CL Final and in the instant result your star player will break both of his legs while your best defender will get a red card in the home EFL match against Dag & Red and lose miserably.

e: Lord help me, I’ve put over 500 hours of my goddamn life in FM18. I have a problem.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sticksy posted:

e: Lord help me, I’ve put over 500 hours of my goddamn life in FM18. I have a problem.

My Switch says I just hit 100 hours. I bought this game two months ago

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
773hrs in 2014 was my record. Got the Invincible! achievement, so time well spent.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

sticksy posted:

This forever. You can put in your Starting XI that had just humped Juve 10-0 in the CL Final and in the instant result your star player will break both of his legs while your best defender will get a red card in the home EFL match against Dag & Red and lose miserably.

This has happened to me even without instant resulting, I dread what sort of nightmarish bloodbath awaits me in that case :ohdear:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've either been removed from the closed beta with no one telling me or the game is running very, very late.

I'd refund any preorders if I were you.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

I've either been removed from the closed beta with no one telling me or the game is running very, very late.

I'd refund any preorders if I were you.

They need to just move to a two-year release model. They release it later and later every year, and the changes are more and more underwhelming.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

preorders are for chumps anyway, and fm especially is barely ever playable before the first major patch anyway

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shroud posted:

They need to just move to a two-year release model. They release it later and later every year, and the changes are more and more underwhelming.

They should go back to a major release every few years with seasonal updates as paid DLC.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
This might be the first FM in 6 years I don't end up getting.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

JadaX posted:

This might be the first FM in 6 years I don't end up getting.

I've said that twice in a row now. Third time lucky?

edit: And rather than "in 6 years" it's "Since CM3"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
SI is staggeringly bad at building excitement for their games.
Compare them to Paradox, who put out regular Dev Diaries that trail (and sometimes tease) features for upcoming DLCs. The CK2 thread is champing at the bit for Holy Fury, despite there not being a release date for it yet.

Will I buy FM19? Yes.
Am I looking forward to it? No.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Data lock for the beta is first thing Monday morning. Info should start coming out midweek/Thursday from German media events and stuff, I think.

Hopefully they'll have something more than the Bundesliga licence, a makeover and no more sweepers to talk about.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Please help, is there any way to cure myself of doing things like signing Balotelli for £50K a week in 2023 for QPR in the Championship and having him score zero goals, complain about not getting enough football as a rotation player and then tear his calf muscle.

I'm eyeing a loan for a 9-pace Gareth Bale in the January window.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Lemon posted:

Please help, is there any way to cure myself of doing things like signing Balotelli for £50K a week in 2023 for QPR in the Championship and having him score zero goals, complain about not getting enough football as a rotation player and then tear his calf muscle.

I'm eyeing a loan for a 9-pace Gareth Bale in the January window.

You really couldn't be more on-brand for QPR

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I managed to dump an rear end load of cash on Ronaldinho after cutting down the roster of Millwall. Played about a 3rd of the games with all of 7 pace and single digit stamina but was a passing and assist machine. Got promoted to the PL with him

E:this was like FM16 or 17.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The rate physical attributes decrease in older players would make way more sense if Pace and Acceleration were rated properly in the database. If everything worked as intended, a 9 Pace Gary Bale would have a sprint speed one notch slower than the average modern professional footballer i.e. not slow at all.

But people have got it into their heads that anything less than 10 is a snail. Per Mertesacker had 11 pace for years ffs. In real life Pirlo didn't reach the match engine's Pace 1 during an entire World Cup (and he was good in it). There should be Pace 3/4/5 players throughout the database, even at the top level.

As a result they've had to hack in some nonsense to make actual fast players stand out, since there's no meaningful difference between the top speeds of 3/4 of players in the game (that safe 12-15 range researchers love). Those turbo boosts where your 19-20 winger burns through the opposition are scripted. With the ball they can't outrun your average 13-14 defender (unless they have Messi-like Technique and Dribbling).

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Managed to get an amateur San Marino League team into the CL group stage in the third year through the easiest draw possible:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao if your owners are the "pocket the money" type and you get nothing to show for it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

MagicCube posted:

Managed to get an amateur San Marino League team into the CL group stage in the third year through the easiest draw possible:

Hell yeah. Now you can start signing middling journeymen and naturalising them for San Marino!

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

The rate physical attributes decrease in older players would make way more sense if Pace and Acceleration were rated properly in the database. If everything worked as intended, a 9 Pace Gary Bale would have a sprint speed one notch slower than the average modern professional footballer i.e. not slow at all.

But people have got it into their heads that anything less than 10 is a snail. Per Mertesacker had 11 pace for years ffs. In real life Pirlo didn't reach the match engine's Pace 1 during an entire World Cup (and he was good in it). There should be Pace 3/4/5 players throughout the database, even at the top level.

As a result they've had to hack in some nonsense to make actual fast players stand out, since there's no meaningful difference between the top speeds of 3/4 of players in the game (that safe 12-15 range researchers love). Those turbo boosts where your 19-20 winger burns through the opposition are scripted. With the ball they can't outrun your average 13-14 defender (unless they have Messi-like Technique and Dribbling).

I was under the impression that Pace meant nothing in the ME - something like Pace 1 is 75% as fast as Pace 20. I thought I read that Acceleration was the one that mattered, and that showed a noticeable variance at different values.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The only thing I know about pace is afaik the same for all physical attributes, which is that they aren't affected by form, so a physical monster with bad technical stats will always be way more consistant than a slow weak cripple with insane tekkers

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Lmao if your owners are the "pocket the money" type and you get nothing to show for it.

Made the EL group stage the year before and they "only" took $1.3 million out of ~$6 million total.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Hell yeah. Now you can start signing middling journeymen and naturalising them for San Marino!

I can only do one of those things as San Marino doesn't give citizenship in-game. In real life it's something like 30 years to become a citizen. Not too sad though as I wanted to build the nation up through my academy (and maybe taking over the San Marino team in the Italian leagues eventually).

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

That's super frustrating cos no matter how much money you pump into the academy, you've still gotta deal with San Marino being hardcoded to have poo poo youth players. In my game when I won the CL with Boca Juniors Gibraltar something like 5 of my starting players had been naturalised, and iirc there was only 1 player in the national team that wasn't in my club side. And yet the starting striker for Gibraltar was a player who I signed at 16y.o. in the second division with a CA/PA of 6

e. they're not called Boca Gibraltar on their crest anymore irl, they're called FC BJ lmao

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 26, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

I was under the impression that Pace meant nothing in the ME - something like Pace 1 is 75% as fast as Pace 20. I thought I read that Acceleration was the one that mattered, and that showed a noticeable variance at different values.

I don't remember what the values were, and they might have changed, but pace is something like that, yeah. It's a very narrow band that no one uses correctly.

I don't know much about how acceleration works. I asked once if it was an independent figure (i.e. player gains "rating" metres per second per second, up to their top speed) or linked to their pace (i.e. player gains "rating" percentage of their top speed per second) and just got shrugs from both my old head researcher and the programming monkey he asked.

Bogan Krkic posted:

The only thing I know about pace is afaik the same for all physical attributes, which is that they aren't affected by form, so a physical monster with bad technical stats will always be way more consistant than a slow weak cripple with insane tekkers

This is true. Also condition percentage is basically meaningless until they get down to like 50% so physical attributes are king (English football game, what a shocker).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Do 2,000-ish seat stadiums still look like they’re in an old English town complete with a burger van in the corner, no matter what country they’re in?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/1045280063854399488

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Awesome! I was just thinking, you know what one thing in FM still disappoints me, it’s that training doesn’t force me to do enough tedious but required clicking.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like that the makeover is just an ugly purple skin.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
When will Microsoft Outlook integration come so I can sync my calendars and stay on top of my training schedules and manage on the go

E: omg the hot tub thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

looooooooool at var