Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a sexual elk posted:

I watched it baked and it straight up gave me a panic attack. Just an overwhelming sense of doom. Death is one thing but the idea of our race ending fuuucked me up.

The last time I watched it with a person who hadn’t seen it before she was stone cold sober and more than a little freaked at the end.

Hell, I remember when I saw it in theaters and everyone left the theater dead silent. Never seen that before or since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Haha I actually love Black Panther. It's in my top five movies of the year. It was a different experience seeing black people act authentically black in a superhero movie. As a black man I give it a 10 out of 10.

With that said, it was still just a movie about some dudes punching some other dudes while some ladies threw hands at some other ladies and a white dude ran around terrified of all the Black Excellence. Also rhinos for pets who also gently caress poo poo up.

E: My review score has been adjusted due to rhinos. It's now a full 11/10.

That Wakandan civil war battle with the rhinos was the most exciting part of the movie and had by far the best choreography. Most of the fights were rather abstract and more about showing attitude and anger than actual fighting skills, but in that battle everyone looked like they were really going at it. The best effect in the movie is probably when Black Panther gets the poo poo knocked out of him by a charging rhino and gets sent flying.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Filthy Hans posted:

That Wakandan civil war battle with the rhinos was the most exciting part of the movie and had by far the best choreography. Most of the fights were rather abstract and more about showing attitude and anger than actual fighting skills, but in that battle everyone looked like they were really going at it. The best effect in the movie is probably when Black Panther gets the poo poo knocked out of him by a charging rhino and gets sent flying.

In the jungle a panther is no match for the horn of an angry rhino. Not even a sinuous Black Panther. That's jungle law 101.

And yeah. I loved that whole scene. Marvel needs to do more stuff like that because they can clearly craft great battle scenes when not trying to puke CGI all over the screen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wasn't the reason the hell stuff looked so atrocious was because the effects studio that got the job for that stuff didn't know what they were doing and handed in terrible looking work they had to cut around and redo to even make it halfway serviceable?

From what I gather, that might be somewhat true, but the real thing that sunk the movie's CG was that they contracted it to ILM while ILM was also working on The Lost World and pre-production for Phantom Menace. The former of those is a Spielberg movie and the latter was The Phantom Menace, so Spawn was basically bottom priority.

The practical effects in it are actually, like, weirdly good since KNB did them and always does awesome work.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

From what I gather, that might be somewhat true, but the real thing that sunk the movie's CG was that they contracted it to ILM while ILM was also working on The Lost World and pre-production for Phantom Menace. The former of those is a Spielberg movie and the latter was The Phantom Menace, so Spawn was basically bottom priority.

The practical effects in it are actually, like, weirdly good since KNB did them and always does awesome work.

Real talk, it sucks that Michael Jai White got a major tentpole special effects summer action movie that just turbo bombed, and it sucked so much rear end that he never became a household name.

Can anybody think of a similar situation? Where a dude is given that kind of opportunity and it just like, falls apart under him (but not because of him)? Taylor Kitsch maybe.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I havent watched Children of Men in almost a decade, i think i'm going to today

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Killmonger and The Vulture are the only villains in the MCU that actually have legitimate gripes that can be sympathized with. Everybody else are just cackling madmen who wanna Destroy Da World.

Meanwhile Killmonger making a good point on the topic of rich people and how much they suck and should die. And The Vulture is making a less extreme point of "gently caress rich people. Steal their property." I'm on board with these guys.

The Vulture's motivation is more "I will do literally anything to protect my upper class lifestyle."

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

WrightOfWay posted:

The Vulture's motivation is more "I will do literally anything to protect my upper class lifestyle."

He would have been a lot more sympathetic without the beautiful huge house.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WrightOfWay posted:

Asnorban posted:

He would have been a lot more sympathetic without the beautiful huge house.

Very true. I kinda forgot he ended up getting super rich and then became the very thing he railed against. That house was pretty drat nice.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Besides preferring sheer volume of content to qualitative impression on memory, another important facet of MCU fandom is charitable misreading.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WrightOfWay posted:

Uh... did you watch the whole movie? Because this statement is literally not true.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fart City posted:

Real talk, it sucks that Michael Jai White got a major tentpole special effects summer action movie that just turbo bombed, and it sucked so much rear end that he never became a household name.

Can anybody think of a similar situation? Where a dude is given that kind of opportunity and it just like, falls apart under him (but not because of him)? Taylor Kitsch maybe.

I feel like there are lots of examples of this. One might be Mickey Rourke who was roughly at a Bruce Willis circa Blind Date level of acclaim and Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man was his potential Die Hard breakout moment, until it sank his career for a decade+ and he never did become an A-list leading man

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

precision posted:

Uh... did you watch the whole movie? Because this statement is literally not true.

The reading I got on The Vulture is that money can corrupt even the littlest guy. But at his core he was still a decent man who just wanted to take it to the Starks of the world. Also he liked to murder guys with weapons derived from alien tech.

Mad scientist meets Robin Hood. "I'm stealing from them to give to me," says The Vulture right before he blows a truck up to run off with the loot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

The reading I got on The Vulture is that money can corrupt even the littlest guy. But at his core he was still a decent man

It's true, and it's not really even a reading imo. It's the text of the film. It's the reason he doesn't rat out Peter when he's in jail. The movie is about a man being driven to criminality because the upper class had deemed him unnecessary and disposable.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Vulture was never "a little guy," even if he claimed to be. He owned a construction company big enough to get a major city contract like cleaning up a war zone. He didn't become rich by becoming an arms dealer, he stayed rich by becoming an arms dealer.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fart City posted:

Oh my god he's the guy that gets that weird cutaway implied Glasgow smile in The Dark Knight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WrightOfWay posted:

The Vulture was never "a little guy," even if he claimed to be. He owned a construction company big enough to get a major city contract like cleaning up a war zone. He didn't become rich by becoming an arms dealer, he stayed rich by becoming an arms dealer.

They make a point out of how he only got the salvage contract by majorly overextending himself and buying equipment on credit, that he wouldn’t be able to pay for when the contract got revoked.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Cool! Spiderman Homecoming's on Netflix or Prime?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They make a point out of how he only got the salvage contract by majorly overextending himself and buying equipment on credit, that he wouldn’t be able to pay for when the contract got revoked.

I swear these people have never watched the drat movie and are just loving with us

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

precision posted:

I swear these people have never watched the drat movie and are just loving with us

I think it's because Keaton gives a better performance than a lot of the other MCU villains and (like Jordan) it makes people want to defend them. No one's defending Christopher Eccleston's boring elf.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accident Underwater posted:

I think it's because Keaton gives a better performance than a lot of the other MCU villains and (like Jordan) it makes people want to defend them. No one's defending Christopher Eccleston's boring elf.

I'm not defending his character, just pointing out the literal text of the film. I'm not saying I wouldn't defend him - I haven't thought enough about it to feel good coming down on either side - just that the past few things specifically aren't opinions, they're posters being wrong about the actual events that occur on the screen.

edit: And you're right, he's one of the very small number of MCU villains that is in any way interesting; ironically one of the others is Ultron, who got stuck in one of the weakest entries of the whole drat deal

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Smokey and the Bandit's on Prime, and I've never seen it streaming before. Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed are one of cinema's greatest bromances.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

precision posted:

I'm not defending his character, just pointing out the literal text of the film. I'm not saying I wouldn't defend him - I haven't thought enough about it to feel good coming down on either side - just that the past few things specifically aren't opinions, they're posters being wrong about the actual events that occur on the screen.

You're right, a lot of people tend to miss evidence that is often obviously presented. It seems to happen particularly often with superhero media.

quote:

edit: And you're right, he's one of the very small number of MCU villains that is in any way interesting; ironically one of the others is Ultron, who got stuck in one of the weakest entries of the whole drat deal

It's a shame because Spader is good and Ultron has very understandable motivations.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Accident Underwater posted:

It's a shame because Spader is good and Ultron has very understandable motivations.

That hippie robot deserved his fate.

Everything about Age of Ultron rubbed me the wrong way. It's a movie where they just decide to do everything they did in the first movie but make sure to suck out all the joy. If Whedon was gonna bring more of that to the MCU I'm kinda glad he stopped working for them.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

regulargonzalez posted:

I feel like there are lots of examples of this. One might be Mickey Rourke who was roughly at a Bruce Willis circa Blind Date level of acclaim and Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man was his potential Die Hard breakout moment, until it sank his career for a decade+ and he never did become an A-list leading man

that movie was hot garbage, and seemed more like a wildly missed opportunity than anything else

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Checked out The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter, the Netflix original from Jody Hill, his first feature since Observe & Report. So out of the gate, no, it's not at all the morose and subversive category of that film. It is a very well shot and acted father/son drama that works even if you can more or less predict every narrative beat. Solid rec.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Observe and Report is really underrated.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
drat straight.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Observe and Report is a 2009 American action comedy film written and directed by Jody Hill, starring Seth Rogen, Anna Faris and Ray Liotta.[2] The plot follows a mentally unstable vigilante mall cop who wants to join the police academy.

Eeeehhh. Insert some sort of non-committal wiggly sideways hand gesture here.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

veni veni veni posted:

Observe and Report is really underrated.

I loving love this movie. If it's streaming anywhere it has to be watched.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Speaking as someone who worked multiple security jobs in his 20's, Observe and Report is horrifyingly not that exaggerated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's crazy that it came out at the exact same time as Paul Blart Mall Cop and was pretty much advertised as the same movie. Pretty horrible coincidence/marketing.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Paul Blart did give us this, though, and it's glorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wyfTsIm1k

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Black Panther was super dull but IMO its greatest crime was attempting to make the music have more of a hip hop aesthetic by... taking boring rear end generic orchestral cues and adding a loving snare beat to the background??

Also Killmonger's plan was so dumb and completely psychotic that it stuns me that people find him sympathetic. Yes let us solve the problems of urban blight and white supremacy by giving people in crime ridden impoverished areas more guns.
Now I realize that this is criticized in the film, but somehow people deliberately ignore the movie saying "This is an extremely bad idea." because it would shut down their infatuation with his character which seems to be mostly informed by how attractive the actor is and that his personal demeanor is extremely corny and stereotypical.

Not to mention this his primary motivation had everything to do with Wakanda killing his father, everything else was just a smokescreen of justification in order to do what he hoped would destroy Wakanda the most. Expose them, give away all their technology, kill their people and destroy their nation, and annihilate their exceptionalism.

He was just an angry dickhead who wanted revenge. Either it was a result of poor scriptwriting or because it was intentional, his desire to forment revolution seemed insincere and at best, secondary.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

JebanyPedal posted:

Black Panther was super dull but IMO its greatest crime was attempting to make the music have more of a hip hop aesthetic by... taking boring rear end generic orchestral cues and adding a loving snare beat to the background??

Red Tails did the same thing. Typical WWII orchestral score, but with a drum beat over it.

It's like some idiot exec, aka Lucas, saw that Chappelle sketch in the barbershop about the types of music different races like, "Black people like drums!", and thought that just adding a drum track over orchestral music would make it "urban" and draw in the african-american crowds.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

JebanyPedal posted:

Also Killmonger's plan was so dumb and completely psychotic that it stuns me that people find him sympathetic.

He was just an angry dickhead who wanted revenge. Either it was a result of poor scriptwriting or because it was intentional, his desire to forment revolution seemed insincere and at best, secondary.

It really sums it up: the scriptwriters do everything in their power to make Killmonger so dumb and goddamn crazy, yet he still manages to come off as sympathetic, because he's a black revolutionary fighting against a feudal despot backed by the CIA.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It really sums it up: the scriptwriters do everything in their power to make Killmonger so dumb and goddamn crazy, yet he still manages to come off as sympathetic, because he's a black revolutionary fighting against a feudal despot backed by the CIA.

Not to mention black panther himself is so loving dull he is just barely a character.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I liked Black Panther. At least it was different, story-beat-wise. And killmonger can go piss up a rope.

The only part of BP I wasn't jamming with was the whole Bucky mini-scene-arc-thing. I give less of a poo poo about Bucky than I do killmonger.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

The_Rob posted:

Not to mention black panther himself is so loving dull he is just barely a character.

Also he spent most of the movie getting his rear end kicked. He only has mysterious vibranium tea and a suit that makes him indestructible. I liked the small scenes with him in the previous movies but in his own movie he was just so boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Pingiivi posted:

Also he spent most of the movie getting his rear end kicked. He only has mysterious vibranium tea and a suit that makes him indestructible. I liked the small scenes with him in the previous movies but in his own movie he was just so boring.

i agree completely. it bothered me that he got beat fair and square during the challange with killmonger. it makes black panther so weak until he gets one good shot at the end of the film and stabs killmonger. it would be even more formulaic, but killmonger should have cheated in some way during the challenge. everyone i talked to also said that black panther was the worst character in the film.

so anyway, black panther was a good a superhero movie, but it wasnt a great movie.