Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tempering is something that Primals need to actively do
It's been a super long time, but doesn't the Ramuh part of 2.X say that this isn't the case? IIRC He's all like "Yeah all these dudes are tempered now. Sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it." Or am I totally misremembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Peachy Poo posted:

It's been a super long time, but doesn't the Ramuh part of 2.X say that this isn't the case? IIRC He's all like "Yeah all these dudes are tempered now. Sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it." Or am I totally misremembering?

We’ve had this discussion before. It’s a bit inconsistent, shivas followers don’t seem to be tempered but Thordans do, so it seems like something a primal has specific choice over.
Along with the Mogsguard not being tempered.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yeah, as far as I can remember, tempering just kinda happens around primals. Part of what makes them so spooky since, even if one was theoretically summoned for non-destructive purposes, you've still created a group of brainwashed fanatics.

E: is Shiva even on the same level as other primals? I always figured she wasn't quite as strong due to having a physical anchor.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ramuh is a weird duck for a number of reasons

he's the primal most cognizant of his own true nature in a world where virtually all summons take a great deal of their temperament from their summoners

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Peachy Poo posted:

His words on the matter were more of 'they just wanted to be left alone but now i'm here so i'm pretty sure that's not happening.'

oh no blimp issue posted:

We’ve had this discussion before. It’s a bit inconsistent, shivas followers don’t seem to be tempered but Thordans do, so it seems like something a primal has specific choice over.
Along with the Mogsguard not being tempered.

There's also the whole thing that happens with Lakshmi that lends credence to Tempering being something that Primals can control.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I unlocked Dark Knight, and I want to try it out, but I haven't played a tank before and I'm scared of people getting mad at me for not doing a good job. :(

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I unlocked Dark Knight, and I want to try it out, but I haven't played a tank before and I'm scared of people getting mad at me for not doing a good job. :(

Just say upfront that you’re new when the dungeon starts and most players are happy to give you a lot of leeway. Start with like Sastasha and you’ll have a good time.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

You're the tank, tell them to gently caress off.
But in all seriousness, tanking is easy business, point the mobs away and keep their placement consistent and you'll be ahead of 90% of tanks already.
Keeping threat isn't all too hard either, I only play PLD personally but open with the DRK versions of Shield Throw and Flash then your aggro combo and you'll have threat for trash pulls easily. Also don't save up your mitigation cooldowns for bosses, they're much better used in trash pulls.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's also the whole thing that happens with Lakshmi that lends credence to Tempering being something that Primals can control.

I think the "tempering is just something that happens" take on tempering is something they've actively moved away from, yeah. At this point, I just take Ramuh's tempering aura as being some early installment weirdness when they were still hammering down the exact nature of primals.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, as far as I can remember, tempering just kinda happens around primals. Part of what makes them so spooky since, even if one was theoretically summoned for non-destructive purposes, you've still created a group of brainwashed fanatics.

E: is Shiva even on the same level as other primals? I always figured she wasn't quite as strong due to having a physical anchor.

Primal's relative power levels are never really discussed as far as I remember? Tsukuyomi is the only one that is described as a "weak primal", but that could have just been posturing on Asahi's part though.
From a gameplay perspective too each primal is more powerful than the last through necessity.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Also remember that characters are actively learning things about Primals as the game progresses, before Moggle Mog no one realised you could summon basically anything you wanted.
It's possible that from an in game academic perspective that they did think that tempering was something that just happened, but it turns out that's not true!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Well, everyone that has been tempered gets killed so it's not like there's much research that's able to be done.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Wacky Delly posted:

Well, everyone that has been tempered gets killed so it's not like there's much research that's able to be done.

It's kinda hard to do research on massive malignant representations of gods that want you dead or worse tbh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tempering is something that Primals need to actively do

Not always. Remember Ramuh!

UHD posted:

ramuh is a weird duck for a number of reasons

he's the primal most cognizant of his own true nature in a world where virtually all summons take a great deal of their temperament from their summoners

Sylphs are extraordinarily red-pilled.

Primal's relative power levels are never really discussed as far as I remember? Tsukuyomi is the only one that is described as a "weak primal", but that could have just been posturing on Asahi's part though.

Nero says Ifrit is pretty pitiful, too.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 9, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odd question I can't remember coming up:

What happens if a primal tries to temper someone already tempered by another primal?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This was the game that taught me tanking and yeah, it's really not that hard. Read your tooltips, let people know its your first time, and take your first few dungeons a bit slowly. Might annoy some dps but they'll live.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Odd question I can't remember coming up:

What happens if a primal tries to temper someone already tempered by another primal?

It’s not come up afaik.
Alternatively a fan theory is that we’ve been tempered by Hydelyn, so tempering is immutable and cannot be removed even by another Primal.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i mean a primal's strength is also stated to vary depending on how many crystals are used to summon it. unless that's also been quietly retconned.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It’s not come up afaik.
Alternatively a fan theory is that we’ve been tempered by Hydelyn, so tempering is immutable and cannot be removed even by another Primal.

Ifrit says something about that when he tries to temper you. The blessing of Hydelyn preventing it or something.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Inflammatory posted:

i mean a primal's strength is also stated to vary depending on how many crystals are used to summon it. unless that's also been quietly retconned.

In one of the HW short stories Shiva summons herself with a single crystal.
Which probably explains why she got jobed quite so hard by the airship.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That aspect is recent enough that it probably sticks. It's another showcase of primal power levels too, Ravana has most of his bug people with who knows how many crystals.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Wacky Delly posted:

Ifrit says something about that when he tries to temper you. The blessing of Hydelyn preventing it or something.

But is the blessing just tempering by another name?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

The amount of crystals has never really come up since ARR since we're past the early game where we have to explain why godlike entities are able to be beaten by some random adventurer who doesn't even have a Soul Crystal yet.

That said, I always imagined Primal power levels as nebulous. You aren't going to convince me that Lakshmi is one of the strongest Primals in the story thus far. Certainly not compared to Alexander or Bahamut.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

But is the blessing just tempering by another name?

I don't think so.

I need to check the lore book again but I'm pretty sure it says tempering is a primal's aether partially overwriting the aether of its followers

Hydaelyn's aether is just the Lifestream in general

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think so.

I need to check the lore book again but I'm pretty sure it says tempering is a primal's aether partially overwriting the aether of its followers

Hydaelyn's aether is just the Lifestream in general

The ultimate tempering my dude

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I think the WoL is something new and nobody is really sure what’s going on with that classy dame. Like other beings infer stuff and are sussing out the rules too. I don’t think hydaelynn is evil, I think she is running an experiment with us because the current cosmic status quo sucks and is doomed to eventually be eaten by zodiark because she is losing a war of attrition, so she is trying something different either by making a new kind of god to replace her or test running the idea of relinquishing her power into mortals which is also jrpg as hell.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Can you summon more than one copy of a primal at once?
I think this has come up in the game before but I forget exactly.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Since it's the Echo that blocks tempering, if anything the Echo is what makes you "tempered" by Hydaelin. I'd be in the camp that says primals can't temper each other's tempered, though.

The blessing was always about keeping you from being hassled by Ascians.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's only one consciousness for a Primal, so nah. It's why Ultima Weapon was such an attractive means of deterrence.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's only one consciousness for a Primal, so nah. It's why Ultima Weapon was such an attractive means of deterrence.

Why is that thought when it’s possible to straight up summon anything you like with enough crystals and belief?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Why is that thought when it’s possible to straight up summon anything you like with enough crystals and belief?

They've made it explicit several times throughout the plot that you need to have the knowledge of unspecified rituals that the Ascians provide before you can summon anything. It's why the Twelve aren't running around Eorzea despite a huge amount of belief and more than sufficient aether.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

And yet Gilgamesh summons Enkidu just by wishing for him to be there.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

They've made it explicit several times throughout the plot that you need to have the knowledge of unspecified rituals that the Ascians provide before you can summon anything. It's why the Twelve aren't running around Eorzea despite a huge amount of belief and more than sufficient aether.

With two exceptions to this, one for comedic value and the other being a major plot point that no Ascians were involved in so we still don't really know how it worked (other than yoship going "gently caress it, this will make a rad as hell CGI", and it was).

e: ok three exceptions, there was also kobold kid and it seems unlikely that Ascians taught him anything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Hildibrand stuff takes place in a slapstick setting where things are deliberately exaggerated for comedic effect.

Thundarr posted:

e: ok three exceptions, there was also kobold kid and it seems unlikely that Ascians taught him anything.

They've never really said what the rituals are. My read on it is that the rituals needed were already in place, and all that was needed was the faith (or, in this case, total despair) to trigger it.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Thundarr posted:

With two exceptions to this, one for comedic value and the other being a major plot point that no Ascians were involved in so we still don't really know how it worked (other than yoship going "gently caress it, this will make a rad as hell CGI", and it was).

It doesn’t seem the rituals need necessarily be performed by the one who summons the primal, since Zenos taught Asahi the rituals but Tsukyomi ultimately summoned herself.
And I forget if Shiva ever mentions if she spoke to Ascians?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Vermain posted:

The Hildibrand stuff takes place in a slapstick setting where things are deliberately exaggerated for comedic effect.
Hildibrand is canon and real.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Basically, primal summoning happens because they want to put it in the story and if the rules for how it happens are inconsistent, that's all right as long as I keep getting rad Soken tracks to kill gods by.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

If the mogsguard spoke to Ascians can we suffer them to live?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not always. Remember Ramuh!

I did. I went back over all the footage I could find of Ramuh. AFAIK and remember everything that contradicts what I said is background information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well he was also in possession of a bunch of crystals at the time.

Also, Enkidu is female in XIV.