Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

It's basically like buying food stamps. Poor people can sometimes get things but need money

The only one being scammed here is insurance companies but the situation is definitely evidence of a lot of things going very republican

Oh, they're up on the same material and style as the "We buy homes for cash" signs all over town, which are some shitbags turning everything into AirBnBs, so I assumed this was some lovely stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

The Center for Tactical Magic engages in extensive research, development, and deployment of the pragmatic system known as Tactical Magic. A fusion force summoned from the ways of the artist, the magician, the ninja, and the private investigator, Tactical Magic is an amalgam of disparate arts invoked for the purpose of actively addressing Power on individual, communal, and transnational fronts. At the CTM we are committed to achieving the Great Work of Tactical Magic through community-based projects, daily interdiction, and the activation of latent energies toward positive social transformation.

I bet theres a better magic the gathering museum.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, they're up on the same material and style as the "We buy homes for cash" signs all over town, which are some shitbags turning everything into AirBnBs, so I assumed this was some lovely stuff too.

I mean it is definitely predatory and I'm sure some people who really need those strips still sell them (or their Grandma's) because they feel they need cash more

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

PostNouveau posted:

Saw this today. I don't know what scam they're running, but I know it's a :thermidor: situation

yeah I seen these, ones wanting to buy gold, ones wanting to buy houses regardless of condition, ones wanting to buy computer parts of any kind or age

telling you, one day "garbage miner" will be a real job where people go to reclaim various metals and stuff from dumps

e: beat on the house one. probably this is a pretty large group. It makes sense because the bigger you are the more easily you can deal with weird fluctuations in the platinum content of your pay-by-the-pound computer scrap
e2: now that i think about it I've seen ones wanting to buy just straight insulin and hosed up poo poo like that too

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

WE BUY UGLY HOUSES

the quintessential american ad for me

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
“garbage miner” was a job in the Victorian era and the advent of public trash cans was criticized for depriving the garbage miners of their livelihoods

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
London used to have a bunch of professional sewer scavengers who would walk through the Byzantine labyrinth of the city’s sewer tunnels and underground rivers in waders, looking for valuable stuff people had intentionally or otherwise dropped down the toilet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

London used to have a bunch of professional sewer scavengers who would walk through the Byzantine labyrinth of the city’s sewer tunnels and underground rivers in waders, looking for valuable stuff people had intentionally or otherwise dropped down the toilet

I think that was Baloogan's job

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

There are people who will scrape up the muck in the sidewalk cracks of major cities to look for any shiny things that may have fallen off of jewelry of pedestrians.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
some testing indicates that road grit and dust next to well travelled highways contains as much or more platinum that literal platinum ore. All the extremely tiny particles blasting off 400000 catalytic converters every day add up.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Fashionable Jorts posted:

There are people who will scrape up the muck in the sidewalk cracks of major cities to look for any shiny things that may have fallen off of jewelry of pedestrians.

There is an old asian woman sifting through the recycling bin outside my house right now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
sewer scavenger was actually not at all a bad living by working-class standards of the time, you could expect to make the equivalent of about $50 a day.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

telling you, one day "garbage miner" will be a real job where people go to reclaim various metals and stuff from dumps

It literally is a job already in third world countries where we "export" our discarded electronics to

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I wish that shirt was real, but alas, Da Share Z0ne will exist only on the internet and in my fantasies

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Higgy posted:

It literally is a job already in third world countries where we "export" our discarded electronics to

also this

or like ship scrapping by hand in some of the same countries that just ruins coastal areas with detritus and maims workers

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pirate Radar posted:

also this

or like ship scrapping by hand in some of the same countries that just ruins coastal areas with detritus and maims workers

Which occasionally leads to "ghost ships" that end up being just empty bulk carriers that got set adrift while being towed to a shipbreaking yard.

'Ghost ship' in Myanmar: Navy finds answers

quote:

Myanmar officials investigating a "ghost ship" found mysteriously drifting near the Yangon region this week have found the answer to its fate.

The large, empty and rusty container vessel, Sam Ratulangi PB 1600, had been discovered by fishermen off Myanmar's commercial capital.

The navy now say the freighter was being towed by a tugboat headed to a ship-breaking factory in Bangladesh.

However, the crew abandoned the ship after being caught up in bad weather.

To be fair, the decision between cutting it loose and maybe being sunk by a monsoonal storm isn't much of a decision at all.

The images from those shipbreaking yards should be enough to stoke the flames of revolution in all but the most jaded of populations.

So a hardy :geno: arises from late-capitalism humanity.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I wish that shirt was real, but alas, Da Share Z0ne will exist only on the internet and in my fantasies

Any shirt exists if you want it to

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fashionable Jorts posted:

in india people will go into the sewers and dig up sewage to look for gold in the poop

hell theres plenty of people in every city who make a living off collecting scrap and selling it

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

babypolis posted:

WE BUY UGLY HOUSES

the quintessential american ad for me

There are no ugly houses, only ugly landlords.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Saw this today. I don't know what scam they're running, but I know it's a :thermidor: situation

i'm imagining companies that sell diabetic test strips also make these signs and just re-sell the strips to skim money off of the insurance companies or Medicare. most likely they're owned by the insurance companies too though.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

babypolis posted:

in india people will go into the sewers and dig up sewage to look for gold in the poop

hell theres plenty of people in every city who make a living off collecting scrap and selling it

the tathagatagarba is like a jewel of great value, hidden in a cesspit. only one with supernatural site can discern it, but through mindfulness and elimination of desire the jewel can be discovered and be world honored.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pirate Radar posted:

sewer scavenger was actually not at all a bad living by working-class standards of the time, you could expect to make the equivalent of about $50 a day.

lol that's more than i make working for amazon

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
scavengers worked at night in the around 1000 miles of London sewer tunnels big enough for a person to fit through, though many of those were 3’9” tall. dangers included tunnel collapse, gas explosions, changing tides, and swarms of rats.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well there's this https://teespring.com/guillotine-by-da-share-z0ne?tsmac=store&tsmic=dasharez0ne#pid=369&cid=6513&sid=front but you missed out on it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Fun fact: There's more gold in a ton of iPhones than in a ton of gold ore

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sounds like ore isnt all its cracked up to be

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Isaac posted:

Sounds like ore isnt all its cracked up to be

From my quick googling, an iPhone 6 has 0.034 grams of gold in it. It weighs 129 grams, which equals 0.000263 grams of gold per gram of phone.

Multiply that by a million to get parts per million, which is equal to grams/ton (which is how you measure a gold deposit) and you get 263.6, rounded off. The richest gold deposit I know of is the Fire Creek mine in Nevada, which has a grade of 44~ g/t, about a sixth as rich as your iPhone. The largest gold mine in the world is the Pebble Mine in Alaska, which is working with a grade of 0.31g/t, or about 850 times poorer grade compared to your iPhone.

Then again, you're not processing the more than ten billion tons of ore that they will have sifted by the time Pebble is played out. In conclusion, gold grades are a land of contrasts. -

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Thanks for the information

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Lots of thing that have refined metals as a component will contain more of that metal than the ore. That's kinda the whole point of refining it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/Medium/status/1039150370155577349

quote:

But to say we hate Mondays only because of capitalism is too easy. If we lived under a different economic system, one where the work week still existed and began on Mondays, would the dread still remain?
:shuckyes:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/60SecDocs/status/1039211908849487872

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pirate Radar posted:

scavengers worked at night in the around 1000 miles of London sewer tunnels big enough for a person to fit through, though many of those were 3’9” tall. dangers included tunnel collapse, gas explosions, changing tides, and swarms of rats.

Otoh you can piss and poo poo whenever you want so it's probably less degrading overall than Amazon

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I learned about the Khian Sea this morning. At least now instead of attempting to ship our poo poo to poor countries, we just ship it to poor counties!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Slime is a codeword for drugs

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

You can 'work from home' a state away or at a hotel or anywhere. Without losing vacation, if applicable.

:colbert: sounds like what I would to for people working for me expecting them to send an email or 2 for "proof".

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

same, but i'm in new england

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
No going to lie, I’ve always loved the work from home option...

it’s sort of like between a regular work day, and a PTO day.

I’m technically working, but don’t really have to deal with anyone in the office. People pretty much just forget about me when I work from home so I get bothered a lot less. I get to save my PTO for when I actually want to use it. Get to stay in my pajamas all day.

I worked from home today. I literally just wanted an extra hour of sleep, so I just texted my boss and went back to bed. Worked all day from my couch devoting more effort to watching Highlander than answering emails.