Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adaz
Mar 7, 2009

mllaneza posted:

As a 49ers fan, let me tell you you are in a world of hurt next week. Rodgers might pull a win out the bullshit zone again, but it'd be a painful win.

This is probably going to bite me in the rear end, but I didn't think the Vikings looked incredible. The 49ers could've easily won that game with a few less dropped passes by your receivers... and I don't think the 49ers are a particularly good team.

Vikings are good, certainly, but not terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

do not put deshone kizer on the field in any situation and, instead, fire him into the sun

if kizer cannot be trusted to kneel, call upon the hillbilly tim boyle to bend the knee

heck, let randle cobb do it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like there's a lot of coaches in the league that don't understand that when facing a player of Rodgers' caliber, the one thing you can never loving do is let off the gas. The awful, terrifying thing about Rodgers is that he can carve even the best defense to absolute shreds, and whenever he has the ball in his hands, you have to assume he'll score. The only way to win is to play aggressively and pile on so many points and take so much time off the clock that he physically can't come back.

This is doubly funny because this has been the source of many Packers losses over the past decade, Fat Mike going "Eh, good enough," and relaxing and then they come back. 2014 NFCCG in particular.

I think it's just a symptom of the NFL as a whole, honestly, coaches suddenly relaxing and trying to conserve energy for inexplicable reasons instead of winning winning winning.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is doubly funny because this has been the source of many Packers losses over the past decade, Fat Mike going "Eh, good enough," and relaxing and then they come back. 2014 NFCCG in particular.

I think it's just a symptom of the NFL as a whole, honestly, coaches suddenly relaxing and trying to conserve energy for inexplicable reasons instead of winning winning winning.

you can take it too far (Falcons superbowl obvious choice) either way but there's a point where the other team is really trying to beat the clock not you, and some teams and coaches are really loving terrible at figuring that out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like there's a lot of coaches in the league that don't understand that when facing a player of Rodgers' caliber, the one thing you can never loving do is let off the gas. The awful, terrifying thing about Rodgers is that he can carve even the best defense to absolute shreds, and whenever he has the ball in his hands, you have to assume he'll score. The only way to win is to play aggressively and pile on so many points and take so much time off the clock that he physically can't come back.

Ultimately, it's the same reason why the Jags lost in the AFC championship and the Eagles won the Superbowl-Marrone didn't understand that Brady can't ever be underestimated, called plays like the game was in the bag, and got torn to fuckin' shreds. Pederson meanwhile did everything in his physical power to keep and build his team's lead over the Patriots, and managed to smother the inevitable comeback.

This is exactly right. The way that second to last Bears drive ended, you felt it in your bones that it was over. Safe football doesn't work there, this is a team who's beaten you silly year in and year out. It was seriously amazing how it just played out exactly how you knew it was going to.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Trubisky repeatedly made awful decisions in the second half. There was a play that stuck out where he was in the pocket and most of the action was to his right, but he had a back set up to his left a few yards downfield in a reasonable amount of space. Trubisky could've made a quick pass for a good 5-6 yard gain, with a chance for more if the back can break a tackle — but he doesn't, and instead he starts scrambling left. So, okay, the back sees Trubisky's running, and he comes back and sets up a decent block to make a lane outside. Now Trubisky can take that for maybe 3-4 yards depending on the angle — but instead he goes inside the block, and of course the defender just comes off the block and tackles him for no gain. Over and over, he took a manageable situation and made the least of it. Just awful.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
One weird shoe tying trick that internet doctors hate!!!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Trubisky is real bad and I still don't know what they saw in him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ultimately, it's the same reason why the Jags lost in the AFC championship and the Eagles won the Superbowl-Marrone didn't understand that Brady can't ever be underestimated, called plays like the game was in the bag, and got torn to fuckin' shreds. Pederson meanwhile did everything in his physical power to keep and build his team's lead over the Patriots, and managed to smother the inevitable comeback.

I mean, wouldn’t “playing it safe” have been calling running plays to try and burn clock which probably would have won them the game? Much like Atlanta in the Super Bowl?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

"let's play conservatively and run the ball to burn the clock" still makes sense if you're a very strong running team

however, that is an extreme rarity now - virtually no team in the modern nfl can reliably generate good running plays if the defense knows they're running

like, coaches have figured out it's a passing league, but haven't quite adjusted to the necessary distaff, which is that the running game is now situational and not to be relied upon

the 60s packers could run into a stacked box, the 70s steelers could run into a stacked box, the 80s washington teams could run into a stacked box. teams in 2018 can't do this.

teams aren't built that way anymore (even if you're a defense-first team like the jaguars or bears) and the game doesn't work that way anymore

this is partly due to defensive advances, partly due to the evolution of the offensive line into a more specialized pass-blocking role, partly due schematic trends - most offenses just don't have a mechanism for reliable down-blocking on 8 box defenders.

tl;dr: running is fake, the rule is ABC (Always Be Chucking)

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 10, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Bears could run on command against that team.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The calls to run more was because Trubisky looked petrified in the 2nd half and was unwilling to throw the ball downfield. Calling a passing play that wasn't a screen just resulted in him scrambling around in hopes of getting a 3 yard gain. I'm not a big "ground and pound" guy but when your QB sucks, it's sometimes all you have.

Also they had 3rd and 1 at the end of the game. Two chances to get a single loving yard running the ball behind an offensive line that is pretty good at run blocking (plus a QB who can run). They chose to pass and kick a FG.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the packers were in their base defense or nickel depending on the guys in the linebacker spots

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Pulling defeat like that from the jaws of victory reeks of vintage 2012 Ron Rivera.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I’d like to state for the record that I warned the gdt about sending Rodgers to the mystery tent. Historically that thing has only made him stronger.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Now I'm not saying that a soul was grafted into the knee of Rodgers, but you have to wonder why five people went in and four came out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

tl;dr: running is fake, the rule is ABC (Always Be Chucking)

Not running is what hosed them on that last drive

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was moving all weekend so only got to watch SNF and according to the morning sports shows, it seems like that's the only game that was played yesterday anyway.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

boop the snoot posted:

I was moving all weekend so only got to watch SNF and according to the morning sports shows, it seems like that's the only game that was played yesterday anyway.

the browns game was really, really good OP

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

The Dave posted:

Not running is what hosed them on that last drive

Correct.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I wonder if Sean McDermott has finished reviewing the tape. I would love to hear his opinion on the performance of the Bills #1 QB Nathan Michael Peterman.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

the browns game was really, really good OP

this post makes no logical sense but after looking at highlights i will say that it is 100% correct

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
also as a bucs fan i am all in for fitzmagic and would be a-okay with us trading jameis :thumbsup:

(because gently caress jameis)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Niwrad posted:

Trubisky is real bad and I still don't know what they saw in him.

Lots of ticket sales to the millions of Pollocks in Chicago?

Me included but I don't buy tickets.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

blue squares posted:

If the Cowboys suck bad enough it might be the final push I need to stop giving a poo poo about them at all. After all, I'm never moving back to Texas

I wasn’t kidding about this last season, but I’m likely done with them until JJ relinquishes all control.

Yesterday, I found pleasure in their pain.

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

boop the snoot posted:

also as a bucs fan i am all in for fitzmagic and would be a-okay with us trading jameis :thumbsup:

(because gently caress jameis)

as long as you are okay with said magic lasting exactly the duration of this season with the exception of the last game.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I just fully sat through a seven loving hour football game at the stadium and I cannot fully enjoy it because I feel bad my team might have wrecked the other teams season.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Aaron Rodgers is Chicago's punishment for never shutting up about Michael Jordan.

You deserve this, Chicago.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Spin up the new set of Mahomes gifs, someone

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I just fully sat through a seven loving hour football game at the stadium and I cannot fully enjoy it because I feel bad my team might have wrecked the other teams season.

Walker is dead :(

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cash Monet posted:

Aaron Rodgers is Chicago's punishment for never shutting up about Michael Jordan.

You deserve this, Chicago.

They will never shut up about Michael Jordan.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good morning

Aaron Rodgers is the greatest quarterback I've ever watched and it's not even remotely close

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

And the Packers will get another generational talent because of it.

They are doing this to themselves.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know, somehow Rodgers managed to out-do the Miracle in Motown game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
At least Aaron Rodgers is not an evil piece of Trumpist poo poo who cheats and kisses kids on the mouth.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My only consolation about Aaron Rodgers bullshit is that he seems to pull it off more often against the Bears than the Lions. Even so I will never feel sorry for the Packers after the way they've played my entire life.

mcmagic posted:

At least Aaron Rodgers is not an evil piece of Trumpist poo poo who cheats and kisses kids on the mouth.

He definitely did a photo-op with Mike Pence and Paul Ryan a year or two ago and I am desperately scrambling to find it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1039134786265264133

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

If another team was capable of having their season wrecked by the Dolphins, then they weren't going to have much of a season anyway. So don't feel bad!

What was it like at the game? Did concessions begin to run out? Did they cut off beer sales? Or did everyone just go through cycles of being sloppy, bored, sobering, and tired?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Cavauro posted:

Feeling happy for raiders fans who were able to prove that letting mack go was the right call
Your head would explode if you knew how many morons are actually believing that right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Spin up the new set of Mahomes gifs, someone

There are some good gifs, which I'd imagine will not be a problem since KC has not had a quarterback this exciting since at least the corpse of Montana. Even if he flames out it seems likely there will be highlights.

Mahomes looked promising, he made some bad decisions although half of those were in the running game somehow (don't give him that many options to work with yet please, Andy. Especially if he's going to run into getting pasted into the turf by large men that often). This was his prettiest pass yesterday in my opinion, we know he can laser things in there but there's just enough touch on this:

https://twitter.com/NFLFilmStudy/status/1038914324675354629

Also an Andy Reid fancy playcalling highlight that will stop working by midseason if it doesn't stop working next week:

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/1038972822415175680

The Chargers were so screwed up Kelce doesn't even have anything to do other than stand there on this play. They ran it again for a TD later on to Tyreek Hill.

My loving god the defense is trash. Rivers absolutely should have thrown for 500 yesterday and should have had a chance at the single game record. So many drops.

• Locked thread