Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

God I hate the menus in this game. Please tell me these are just placeholders and that launch won't look this ugly.

Edit: also whatup, I haven't played a Battlefield game since BF:1942. Is the apparently-gigantic BF1 community going to move over to this like in any other annual-installment shooter? I know BF1 was massive on consoles, how big was its PC audience? Or is it looking like it's going to go the way of SW: Battlefront and be impossible to find full matches 2 weeks after launch?

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol am i the only person mad that I can't rebind self heal yet

or are we just mad about whether or not to play the free beta still

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Big reminder that this is the Battlefield 1 console thread. Just in case someone is confused by the thread's title but the icon is PS4/XBOX still.

Check the OP if in doubt.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Battlefield 1, the 5th Battlefield: Battlefield V (BF: 6) chat

Should I just get BF:1 if I wanted BF:V to be more like BF1942

Oh man absolutely.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Well poo poo. I guess that's gadget one or whatever the gently caress. Gracias

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jimbot posted:

"Developer being political" or "politicizing escapism" is such a dog-whistle and it has been for years. It's all just "they're adding things I don't like" to video games.

Nah, capitalism would use anything to turn it into products. Have you see che guevara t-shirts?. Capitalism can and do turn any political movement into a system to make profits.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

ZeusCannon posted:

Well poo poo. I guess that's gadget one or whatever the gently caress. Gracias

Oh yea. Dont know if youre console or PC but I saw the key binds when i was in the menus to change the vehicle controls to veteran.

I feel its not clear when to throw stuff to teammates and what to throw them. I have to get my reticle right on an ally to get the toss prompt and its tough because everyone is moving constantly. I think Im throwing health but it says ammo every time

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Yeah when I play medic I throw both ammo and health at people. Not sure if that's a new feature or a glitch.

I'm actually quite liking bf v though. At first I really didn't enjoy it but it's grown on me. It's a nice change of pace from the meatgrinder chokepoints of bf1.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I noticed that on xbox you can easily refund RDR 2 with a click of a button but for BF V the cancel preorder button is missing. (in Canada at least)

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

lambskin posted:

Yeah when I play medic I throw both ammo and health at people. Not sure if that's a new feature or a glitch.

I'm actually quite liking bf v though. At first I really didn't enjoy it but it's grown on me. It's a nice change of pace from the meatgrinder chokepoints of bf1.

I think it's a glitch. I'm pretty sure you're just throwing a medic pack, but it says ammo. Possibly there isn't a "throw pouch" tooltip yet?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What would a period-appropriate replacement be for the Henry-Martini? Whatever that is I hope they add it to the game. That gun is so satisfying to use, even when you're bad with it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Am I the only one who thinks the Grand Operations seem incredibly lame? And I'm not talking about anything specific to Narvik, but the structure of the mode itself.

There is seemingly no consequence to anything. In BF1 your performance on a given wave/map would affect the next. If the attackers cleared a map on the first wave, the defenders would get a behemoth. Progress on one wave would carry over to the next. Clearing a map with a single way had to play off the limited momentum available from ticket regain. Or even in Battlefront 2, the flat +50 tickets per objective cleared made an impact. If you cleared an objective with 50 or more remaining, you would top out at 100 and feel good for the next objective. If you barely scrapped by at 5 tickets left, you'd only have 55 for the next objective and the pressure was on.

There is none of that here. I haven't seen what happens if the British get literally zero objectives accomplished. But on Narvik the difference between one gun destroyed on Day 1 and all four guns destroyed is about 30 extra tickets going into Day 2. That's on top of a base of 350 tickets. It's less than 10%, and as far as I can tell there is no other effect. You get some throwaway dialogue that's either "our fleet is cool man" or "yo our fleet got shot up" but it's not reflected in-game in any meaningful way at all. The same thing happens at the end of Day 2. The gives the overwhelming impression that Day 1 and Day 2 are essentially pointless and all that really matters to determine who wins will take place on Day 3, which only affected by a token amount of ticket change.

It's lame, it's boring, and it's distinctly worse than both BF1 and the Battlefront series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chomp8645 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the Grand Operations seem incredibly lame? And I'm not talking about anything specific to Narvik, but the structure of the mode itself.

There is seemingly no consequence to anything. In BF1 your performance on a given wave/map would affect the next. If the attackers cleared a map on the first wave, the defenders would get a behemoth. Progress on one wave would carry over to the next. Clearing a map with a single way had to play off the limited momentum available from ticket regain. Or even in Battlefront 2, the flat +50 tickets per objective cleared made an impact. If you cleared an objective with 50 or more remaining, you would top out at 100 and feel good for the next objective. If you barely scrapped by at 5 tickets left, you'd only have 55 for the next objective and the pressure was on.

There is none of that here. I haven't seen what happens if the British get literally zero objectives accomplished. But on Narvik the difference between one gun destroyed on Day 1 and all four guns destroyed is about 30 extra tickets going into Day 2. That's on top of a base of 350 tickets. It's less than 10%, and as far as I can tell there is no other effect. You get some throwaway dialogue that's either "our fleet is cool man" or "yo our fleet got shot up" but it's not reflected in-game in any meaningful way at all. The same thing happens at the end of Day 2. The gives the overwhelming impression that Day 1 and Day 2 are essentially pointless and all that really matters to determine who wins will take place on Day 3, which only affected by a token amount of ticket change.

It's lame, it's boring, and it's distinctly worse than both BF1 and the Battlefront series.

like i said. operations being partially a rush mode kinda helped keep they almost cinematic "narrative" quality of the mode. you see charges and retreats and cross squad cooperation. this just feels less cool. idk.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Ardent Communist posted:

I think it's a glitch. I'm pretty sure you're just throwing a medic pack, but it says ammo. Possibly there isn't a "throw pouch" tooltip yet?

But I also get points for resupplying people for some reason.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

lambskin posted:

But I also get points for resupplying people for some reason.

You resupply people with a spare pouch to heal themselves with later.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Bingo! That's how I figured it. What do you have to do to actually unlock weapons? I can pick them, but then I can't spawn with them. Somebody else mentioned a similar problem, but I know people can use them, I get killed by them often. Am I doing something wrong or is it merely beta jaggyness.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think its just class level. The guns should Auto Unlock once youve reached a certain level.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They really don't want scouts to do anything, do they. The rifles are trash, their mine doesn't even do 100 damage, their spotting feels like it barely helps and they barred their most useful tool until rank 8, which will be a long tedious road if they keep this balance.

Edit: I'm getting to the point where the more I play the game, the more I'm disliking it. I went back to BF1 inbetween rounds and it's night-and-day. The movement is just as awkward as 1's but the animation priority gets in the way more. Being able to crawl on your back and jump through windows is a net plus. But it just doesn't feel like it changed. The gunplay feels worse. The sound design doesn't have any satisfying clicks, assault rifles are overpowered, sniper rifles are terrible (I think it's the bullet velocity being insanely low and no sweet spots).

I hope this is an older build of the game and they polished it up more since. But if this is locked in and what they release with, woof. Hard pass. I like the idea of customization and all that jazz but if it's in the service of that gameplay we're getting then no thank you. Building things up is fun and good but I just don't enjoy the shooting at all and every gun has such little oomph to it and the TTK so high, it just isn't very satisfying, even when I'm doing well. Why can't they just copy and paste BF1 into V, add the QoL, remove the 3d spotting except for scout and leave the gunplay as is. Maybe one day they'll patch up this mess to reach BF1's levels of fantastic, but until then I won't be getting it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 10, 2018

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Jimbot posted:

What would a period-appropriate replacement be for the Henry-Martini? Whatever that is I hope they add it to the game. That gun is so satisfying to use, even when you're bad with it.

Support has the three-barrelled shotgun which is a fun Henry-Martini replacement. No one shots, but at least you can finish people without switching a weapon by using the buckshot

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Jimbot posted:

They really don't want scouts to do anything, do they. The rifles are trash, their mine doesn't even do 100 damage, their spotting feels like it barely helps and they barred their most useful tool until rank 8, which will be a long tedious road if they keep this balance.

Edit: I'm getting to the point where the more I play the game, the more I'm disliking it. I went back to BF1 inbetween rounds and it's night-and-day. The movement is just as awkward as 1's but the animation priority gets in the way more. Being able to crawl on your back and jump through windows is a net plus. But it just doesn't feel like it changed. The gunplay feels worse. The sound design doesn't have any satisfying clicks, assault rifles are overpowered, sniper rifles are terrible (I think it's the bullet velocity being insanely low and no sweet spots).

I hope this is an older build of the game and they polished it up more since. But if this is locked in and what they release with, woof. Hard pass. I like the idea of customization and all that jazz but if it's in the service of that gameplay we're getting then no thank you. Building things up is fun and good but I just don't enjoy the shooting at all and every gun has such little oomph to it and the TTK so high, it just isn't very satisfying, even when I'm doing well. Why can't they just copy and paste BF1 into V, add the QoL, remove the 3d spotting except for scout and leave the gunplay as is. Maybe one day they'll patch up this mess to reach BF1's levels of fantastic, but until then I won't be getting it.

I dont like the spotting tool but the flare gun has been incredibly useful ime.

Agree that the bolt-action rifles are pretty much trash in the betas weapon meta, but the ZH-29 is borderline OP. Its the gun everyone would be bitching about if the StG wasnt even more OP.

Chazani posted:

Support has the three-barrelled shotgun which is a fun Henry-Martini replacement. No one shots, but at least you can finish people without switching a weapon by using the buckshot

Pretty sure the shells are one-shot at close range and the rifle round is a one-shot on headshots.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I just unlocked that. I'll have to try it out next time I play. Semi-auto guns on Scout are wrong though. Bolt action or bust.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Jimbot posted:

I just unlocked that. I'll have to try it out next time I play. Semi-auto guns on Scout are wrong though. Bolt action or bust.

Dunno if I'd go that far but yeah I wish it had been a Medic gun and they'd given the Scout class an SMG.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Chazani posted:

Preeeety sure it'll drop a pubbie with a headshot. Unless the guy on YouTube cherry picked a ton of shots where he went after people that were already hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwR8Rk9M1ww

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Noctone posted:

but the ZH-29 is borderline OP.

I was just about to post that i love the animations for the ZH (The way the stripper clips flicked off :allears: ) but ithink its lame stat wise. im guessing it needs its upgrades to be effective

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Also as a BF4 player, this stuff about building poo poo, i didn't even figure out until i tried to put my FG42 on semiauto because :asoiaf: recoil and suddenly my gun turned into a hammer. Gotta find a skull to cave in with it one of these days

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Is the ol butt clan still operating on ps4? I've been playing on PC with my controller and it is a good time but I miss screaming with 8 goons in PSN voice

Finally got do some flying last night, was v fun after doing the ol set-my-goddamn-sensitivity-while-inverted-midair battlefield thing. Is there a bomber sight like in BF1? I know I'm slow and dumb but DICE also loves to prank me with non working controls and features so

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

mellowjournalism posted:

Is there a bomber sight like in BF1?

lol nope, you just gotta dive bomb basically. Not sure if bomber sights were just something they couldn't get into the beta or if that's gonna be a thing or what.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I find spotting people as recon to be pretty cool. It helps that you don't have to press a button, as soon as you see an enemy they are marked. Sometimes I'm able to mark entire squads and seconds later a ton of binocular assists roll in.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Noctone posted:

lol nope, you just gotta dive bomb basically. Not sure if bomber sights were just something they couldn't get into the beta or if that's gonna be a thing or what.

I know that the British bomber has bomber sights, but I haven't tried it with the other planes. You have to be in first person mode to use them. I think it was either down or up on the d-pad if you are using the veteran control scheme.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
The British bomber has sights, though without scouts spotting for you it felt impossible to tell where to actually hit. I mostly just guessed and got some lucky hits.

The German bomber however doesn't, so I'm really not sure how you're supposed to land any hits with it other than pure luck at that point.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I like that I can steal a dying soldiers gun instead of reviving them.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The German bomber has regular bomb sights as an unlockable upgrade

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

super macho dude posted:

I like that I can steal a dying soldiers gun instead of reviving them.

I like that this repeatedly happens on accident because "take dude's gun" and "save dude's life" is the same button.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
My last BF games were 1942, Vietnam and BF2, I haven't played any of the franchise since then, except for a single day in the beta of the Star Wars game. I have some real issues finding my bearings in this game: death seems sudden and random and the vehicles aren't much fun either. I try to follow my squad, take objectives, only to be gunned down from behind or blown up by stuff I never saw.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

My last BF games were 1942, Vietnam and BF2, I haven't played any of the franchise since then, except for a single day in the beta of the Star Wars game. I have some real issues finding my bearings in this game: death seems sudden and random and the vehicles aren't much fun either. I try to follow my squad, take objectives, only to be gunned down from behind or blown up by stuff I never saw.

Play Battlefield 4 or Battlefield 1 if you want to play a good/fun Battlefield game again.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/battlefield-v/battlefield-5-war-stories-the-last-tiger

lol, so you couldnt play as the central powers in 1 but you can now play as the germens in V. loving lol. my guess is they will defect or surrender but lol.

least the chuds arn't happy.

Also, by the time the siege of Berlin was happening, the Wehrmacht for the most part full of kids and really old people and the SS were mostly eastern europian and french facists recruits. so have fun playing as some dumb hitler youth kids and grandpa. and then shooting each other out of fear of the soviet death army.

If they keep adding "War Stories" to the game after release I really hope they include The Battle for Castle Itter because the whole battle is an amazing story to end on which includes a French Tennis star, running a gauntlet of SS machine gun fire. Plus it would also make the CHUD's super angry.

Regarding the Beta, is anyone else missing the ambient music? Battlefield 1 would have epic musical swells whenever you'd move onto a new sector in Operations and Grand Operations seems to have nothing. It seems like such a weird omission.

I was also disappointed to find that they've got rid of the native languages in the Briefings because that was something that Battlefield 1 did so well. To be honest, I found most of the sound fairly underwhelming apart from a few stand out moments such as a V1 flying in, or the sound that greets you when you stand at the plane door. I'm hoping its something they've done to keep the size of the beta down, but I guess I'll find out when the game launches.

I think I'll wait to hear more about the other weapons and class sub-types they've got planned because in its current state, the whole thing feels like it needs a little more time in the oven and more like a "rough around the edges" Battlefield 1 mod rather than a full blown commercial game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I like that this repeatedly happens on accident because "take dude's gun" and "save dude's life" is the same button.

Cowards. They should make if you are not medic, you can mercifully kill friends, so they spawn faster.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
FYI there's supposedly going to be a second beta before release.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Venmoch posted:

Regarding the Beta, is anyone else missing the ambient music? Battlefield 1 would have epic musical swells whenever you'd move onto a new sector in Operations and Grand Operations seems to have nothing. It seems like such a weird omission.

the sound design for the beta is lacking in a lot of ways, all incidental music and sound effects are really weak.
I keep thinking my volume is turned way down until I fire my weapon or get right on top of a firefight in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Apparently DICE knows about the sound bugs and are working on it. I'm not sure if I've played a DICE game that didn't have really good sound design.