Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

I mean the "zombie horde" is said to come from third world countries and are said to being directed to Europe by the US...

Is it a part of euroracist narratives that the US is sending immigrant hordes to Europe? Actually never mind, the answer's probably real dumb.

Hypnobeard posted:

The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

Yeah, I was gonna try and think of a better answer but honestly this one clinches it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Kai Tave posted:

Is it a part of euroracist narratives that the US is sending immigrant hordes to Europe? Actually never mind, the answer's probably real dumb.

Well, the USA is the hegemonic world power at the moment, so any conspiracy theory has to explain what that power is doing about stuff. Plus, the US is seen by many racists as pushing multiculturalism, which to them means something a lot more involved than 'a full selection of ethnic restaurants.'

Which is to say, yes, it's a common racist trope that the 'liberal elite' (read, Jews and intellectuals and so on) are encouraging immigration and pushing countries to accept refugees, for sinister purposes. American racists believe the same thing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Antivehicular posted:

Heroquesting through the plots of dreadful Ed Greenwood novels would make this all worthwhile.

do something from the Time of Troubles and basically recreate Inception

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hypnobeard posted:

The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

This would be awesome

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

This would be awesome

It's not a bad suggestion, really. Lots of tall tales like that going around the Realms.

The obvious contender to run the Realms is your favourite edition of AD&D. That's what the published material is written for, and it's obviously the easiest game to run. I think you can have a viably good FR game with anything in between the Old Gray Box for 1e to 4e's Neverwinter. Don't touch the stuff afterwards, it's poo poo. Find a published version of the Realms you like, pick a system that can fit it, have fun. Ed still runs his home games in a very-customized AD&D 1e.

If you look up the original meaning of Forgotten Realms, Ed's original idea was basically Toril as a second world connected to our own, with lots of Narnia-style crossovers, families that stretched over both worlds and those kinds of things. I'm not sure what system would be best for that, but it would definitely be a different approach.

And one more that Libertad came up with: running a Godbound game where everyone is one of the big deities thrown down to Toril during the Time of Troubles really lets you do all the crazy hosed up world-destroying poo poo you could ever want to do.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up!

Today, we're talking about an area of playtest feedback that I think deserves some attention: character sheets, and the layout used for class progression.

Most of the suggestions were to the tune of making the progression a straight, by-level breakdown -- whereas I prefer the classes to be set up in a way that silos off the different modes of the game. Hopefully, by incorporating some new ideas, the next iterations of the text will strike the right balance between these two schools of thought.

Shoutouts to forums-poster Emy for their feedback on this topic! :)

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are invited to join the TNP Discord.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Covok posted:

I don't think I ever put this much effort into a game ever.

:smuggo: You don't put much 'game' in your games either. :smuggo:

Seriously though it wasn't much more effort that what I normally put into a game. The map of KC required a few hours of cleanup in GIMP but after that it was maybe 10 minutes searching for the pip-boy font and a nice version of the vault tech logo on google followed up with a quick and export to pdf. It cost about $50 to get printed.

I put way more effort than that into the ToEE maps and those are all half assed in the hours before the game starts every other week.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh yeah another thing about MyFAROG modern is that Varg goes "for legal reasons I can't include certain religions and ethnicities to have automatic picks for flaws but a GM can make that a homebrew for his game *wink wink*" and then shows flaws like "parasite" which pretty much says you are a blight on society that feeds on people's goodwill and makes you more likely to be a banker, merchant or criminal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Oh yeah another thing about MyFAROG modern is that Varg goes "for legal reasons I can't include certain religions and ethnicities to have automatic picks for flaws but a GM can make that a homebrew for his game *wink wink*" and then shows flaws like "parasite" which pretty much says you are a blight on society that feeds on people's goodwill and makes you more likely to be a banker, merchant or criminal.

That’s the white people flaw right?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

in the sense that D&D 5e is not a game I would like to play (which is why I'm posting this question here and not in the thread), but in recognizance of the on-going discussion of FR lore, what would be the most suitable game to play in the Forgotten Realms setting with?

I'm guessing 4e is also out in this situation? If not, consider 4e.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

What the gently caress? Like, seriously, what the gently caress!?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

It's a game made by a neo-Nazi, what the gently caress did you expect?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Specifically, a black metal Neo-Nazi who looks like a Duck Dynasty character

Dec 26, 2012

Covok posted:

Varg hasn't made anything close to a secret of his worldview.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Neo-nazi murderer and arsonist. Varg has had a very eventful career.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Helping to run an airsoft-based Fallout event in a month or so that kinda fits in the tradgames mold (being descended from larp stuff), and the planning of a game experience with props is something I’ve definitely missed. Got a live radio station for the game thanks to low-powered broadcasting exemptions and existing site infrastructure, along with some good temporary structures and at least one dedicated player showing up in full Brotherhood power armor. Aside from the extensive prop prep, any recommendations for little things that could get overlooked by people scrambling to do the full big-picture logistics and planning?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
John Wick made A Hack, did you know

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jesus Christ I thought maybe he was done being like that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

You want me to play with your toys? Fine.

I’ll take the heads off all your dolls and put tinker toys in their place.

I’ll switch the voice boxes on your G.I. Joes and Barbies.

I’ll take your Legos and some superglue and make laser sights and other accessories for your super powered squirt guns.

sir, this was a toys r us

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

John Wick's writing style has the most punchable face.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

That Old Tree posted:

Jesus Christ I thought maybe he was done being like that.

(Ron Howard voice) He was not done being like that.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

Rule #4: Ergodic Cows
Back in the day, when I first bumped into roleplaying games, they could be defined as ergodic literature. That is, text requiring non trivial effort to traverse. In other words, you had to figure things out on your own. The author didn’t give you everything you needed. And sometimes, it seemed the author was intent on making things difficult.

I’ve done that here. There are references to rules that don’t exist. Sometimes I use two different terms to refer to the same rule. I’ve even taken the effort to leave out an entire page. But if the point of all this is to make this feel like “the early days of roleplaying games,” I felt those steps were necessary to make the game feel authentic.

And you know, when my friends and I discovered that the rules we bought weren’t exactly “complete” (there are no healing rules in 1st Edition Call of Cthulhu, for example), we were forced to make things up. And that lead me to game design. So, maybe you’ll follow the same path. You can thank me later

go gently caress yourself john.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Deliberate obscurantism and pranking your readers with fake lacunae is an interesting idea. Incredibly stupid, but interesting.

Wick is, at this point, a couple steps from the guy who created HYBRID. That is, someone who literally doesn't understand the point of a roleplaying game, and is writing what he thinks is a roleplaying game with the goal of some self-gratification that a healthy mind cannot fathom.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm sure that idea will take off, after all, we have so many fewer entertainment options today than in the 70s and 80s when roleplaying games were nascent that OBVIOUSLY people will be even more inclined to put up with shoddy workmanlike products, out of nostalgia for an era that precisely none of the target audience experienced.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Man there's a broad level where I agree that it can be fun to digest a piece of obtuse but interesting writing, but that's in situations where reading the thing is something you're doing for its own sake, not trying to understand a game system so that you can go on to actually play the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

food court bailiff posted:

I'm sure that idea will take off, after all, we have so many fewer entertainment options today than in the 70s and 80s when roleplaying games were nascent that OBVIOUSLY people will be even more inclined to put up with shoddy workmanlike products, out of nostalgia for an era that precisely none of the target audience experienced.
Have you not been paying attention to 5e. This was their marketing pitch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That, and a free handjob for everyone who went on a shrieking tirade about gnomes or rust monsters.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Splicer posted:

Have you not been paying attention to 5e. This was their marketing pitch.

Nobody pays attention to 5E, least of all Hasbro of the Coast. But still, I'm going to say that no matter what your feelings on 5E are it's pretty disingenuous to compare its marketing to whatever this thing is. Like, 5E had a ton of playtesting support and stuff (that they completely ignored, but even then...) - it's a far cry from "we left out a WHOLE PAGE, do you guys remember Kevin Siembieda? lolwackyrandom!".

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

"Hey, guys, remember back when games were written and edited for poo poo? Well, with this game I did that on purpose! It's completely useless! The line to thank me for my genius starts on your left; no autographs, and no flash photography please."

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

He's interpreting ergodic literature to mean "hard to understand," but that's a really bad definition of what "nontrivial work" means. One of the very first examples Espen Aarseth gives when coining the term is the I-Ching. Using a randomizing method, you use the book to produce one of more than 4,000 possible texts. It's not that the reader is confused or has to struggle to read, it's that there's some outside process that the reader has to produce to organize a linear text. More simple, "more than trivial" =/= "hard". I think the most pragmatic version of an ergodic rulebook would be one that changes the rules depending on the number of players on the table, but it could also be a rulebook that changes based on the room you're playing in or what time of year you're reading it.

Where I think this is coming from is that Wick heard that TTRPG's are naturally ergodic, because they generate stories through interfacing with a mechanic (e.g. dice rolls and ability scores), he misunderstood that to mean the rulebooks are also ergodic, and he took "the author doesn't give you everything you needed" to be an excuse to leave the game unfinished. He cites adding healing rules to Call of Cthulhu, but I can grab Huck Finn and write in a chapter about Huck's thoughts on Bitcoin. Still doesn't make Twain's novel ergodic literature.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I really miss when people did stuff with utter sincere reasons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

John Wick is completely sincere though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Plutonis posted:

This and discussion of ergodic literature makes me want to dig into some Jenna Moran books when I get home. Never did finish Chuubo's, and it deserves my time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

John Wick is completely sincere though.

He isn't when he deliberately does oversights by intent rather than neglect and then boasts about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Precambrian posted:

Where I think this is coming from is that Wick heard that TTRPG's are naturally ergodic, because they generate stories through interfacing with a mechanic (e.g. dice rolls and ability scores), he misunderstood that to mean the rulebooks are also ergodic, and he took "the author doesn't give you everything you needed" to be an excuse to leave the game unfinished. He cites adding healing rules to Call of Cthulhu, but I can grab Huck Finn and write in a chapter about Huck's thoughts on Bitcoin. Still doesn't make Twain's novel ergodic literature.
I never heard of ergodicity before a few hours ago, but it's not wrong to say that Brown Box D&D is incomplete (because it's literally a supplement for a game some of the customers had never heard of), that Gygax's writing style in AD&D is almost deliberately obtuse, and that D&D sometimes lacks a correct answer on how two different rules interact. But what's the point of doing that poo poo on purpose? Nostalgia? For people who probably would never play his game anyway?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Antivehicular posted:

This and discussion of ergodic literature makes me want to dig into some Jenna Moran books when I get home. Never did finish Chuubo's, and it deserves my time.

I haven't read all her stuff but I wouldn't quite describe her stuff as ergodic. From what I've read her stuff works best read straight through linearly, as long as you get rid of any preconceptions, and act as if all the text is literal and there are no metaphors (similes will be explicit).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

He isn't when he deliberately does oversights by intent rather than neglect and then boasts about it.

I mean don't get me wrong, I wasn't being complimentary. I suppose what I mean is that John Wick is 100% sincere in his belief that he's an amazing game design auteur instead of a dumb wanker. "Deliberately making a lovely game" isn't an amazing feat of craftsmanship to brag about, but he genuinely believes in his own genius.

As far as completely sincere game design goes, we still pretty much exist in a golden age for game designers doing exactly that. Blades in the Dark, Lancer's ongoing development, reading about how Flying Circus is continuing to grow by someone who's incredibly enthusiastic about aircraft design and air combat, Legacy, all that stuff is completely sincere and all the better for it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

bewilderment posted:

I haven't read all her stuff but I wouldn't quite describe her stuff as ergodic. From what I've read her stuff works best read straight through linearly, as long as you get rid of any preconceptions, and act as if all the text is literal and there are no metaphors (similes will be explicit).

Well, sure; Jenna Moran definitely isn't trying to deliberately be obscure, just trying to get a lot across. I was mostly just thinking in the sense of "digging into something that'll take a fair amount of time and attention but will also reward the effort."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There could be an art to deliberately putting flaws in your game in a subtle and deliberate way if you're doing it largely as an art project, or just... I think there's a thing where a lot of popular games are badly flawed, and my conspiracy brain tells me that has to be deliberate at some point no matter how unlikely that seems. Flaws generate discussion. There's not much to say about a game that doesn't have many flaws, because, you know. It's just good.

But in any case, I am struggling to think of anything Wick has done that I could apply the word "subtle" to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There could be an art to deliberately putting flaws in your game in a subtle and deliberate way if you're doing it largely as an art project, or just... I think there's a thing where a lot of popular games are badly flawed, and my conspiracy brain tells me that has to be deliberate at some point no matter how unlikely that seems. Flaws generate discussion. There's not much to say about a game that doesn't have many flaws, because, you know. It's just good.

I mean, in most cases I think it's much more likely that games are flawed because the bar to calling yourself a Professional Roleplaying Game Designer is so low as to be nonexistent rather than some sort of "any publicity is good publicity" gambit.