Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been playing Almost a Hero this weekend and this may be my new obsession for the near future. Seems like a fun enough tapper/idler with some ads for bonuses but nothing super intrusive. It's actually refreshing only having a party of 5 so you're not scrolling through a gigantic list of dudes like in Tap Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

explosivo posted:

Been playing Almost a Hero this weekend and this may be my new obsession for the near future. Seems like a fun enough tapper/idler with some ads for bonuses but nothing super intrusive. It's actually refreshing only having a party of 5 so you're not scrolling through a gigantic list of dudes like in Tap Titans.

I'm about a week in and agree. It's fun with a nice variety in how many characters there are

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Not a fan of the energy system in Alphabear 2 either but I've been having fun with it, not sure how obnoxious it'll get later past the beginning story mode. Was also thinking of no-ads but $10 is steeper than my Google survey balance.

On the other hand,

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

explosivo posted:

I've been playing for the best part of a month. I'm really enjoying it. Not needed to pay for gems and still managed to get quite a distance.

Now I need to find the right build to push past 550.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tsietisin posted:

I've been playing for the best part of a month. I'm really enjoying it. Not needed to pay for gems and still managed to get quite a distance.

Now I need to find the right build to push past 550.

I am kind of struggling with builds right now, a lot of the guides I've found are confusing to follow along with or seem maybe outdated? I'm still pushing for 140 right now so it's not a huge concern but I assume pretty soon it'll get more necessary to focus on one particular path with everyone. I did buy the starter pack for $4 which got me some nice runes (got bounce and the one that makes enemies weak when hit by lightning which is a good combo).

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

explosivo posted:

I am kind of struggling with builds right now, a lot of the guides I've found are confusing to follow along with or seem maybe outdated? I'm still pushing for 140 right now so it's not a huge concern but I assume pretty soon it'll get more necessary to focus on one particular path with everyone. I did buy the starter pack for $4 which got me some nice runes (got bounce and the one that makes enemies weak when hit by lightning which is a good combo).

Around that level the best advice I can give is to use your gems to buy artifact slots. But a new artifact whenever you can, then level them up.

After that use Vexx. Her skill at the top left allows for an 80% discount on upgrading her. Is possible you may need to craft an artifact that lowers ability skill level requirement to use it early game.

The next big jump happens when you get the lightning rings auto clicker. I seem to recall that's in the 300's though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is the only idler dujour Realm Grinder? I'm looking for something with less constant taps and more #s go up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tsietisin posted:

After that use Vexx. Her skill at the top left allows for an 80% discount on upgrading her. Is possible you may need to craft an artifact that lowers ability skill level requirement to use it early game.

Okay THIS is what I was looking for. All the stuff I've been reading was talking about first leveling some of these skills that you can't get until you reach level 11 or 12 and I just didn't understand how without first dumping a bunch of points into other stuff. This is good to know, I'll be on the lookout for one of those artifacts. I have 13 slots opened up right now, those slots are all I've been using gems on so that's good to hear you say it too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My search for a gacha with good tactics gameplay ended on me playing basically only Alphabear 2.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Len posted:

There's a bunch of tabletop games in a current humble bundle. Most are for PC but there's Android copies of a few.

Mysterium
Sentinels of the Multiverse + dlc
Talisman + dlc
Pathfinder Adventures for PC which you can link to your mobile device to unlock the content

Pathfinder Adventures is mindbogglingly bad. They somehow managed to keep all the bad boring parts of MMOs without any of the fun bits.

Mysterium otoh is a great party game, not sure how it plays on the phone.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

explosivo posted:

Okay THIS is what I was looking for. All the stuff I've been reading was talking about first leveling some of these skills that you can't get until you reach level 11 or 12 and I just didn't understand how without first dumping a bunch of points into other stuff. This is good to know, I'll be on the lookout for one of those artifacts. I have 13 slots opened up right now, those slots are all I've been using gems on so that's good to hear you say it too.

I also found bellylaff a good one to use. With his ultimate at max and the skill that increases the time it lasts with each kill, it can last for ages.

Eventually you get games that look like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Rg1Ou-YbI

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Morter posted:

Is the only idler dujour Realm Grinder? I'm looking for something with less constant taps and more #s go up.

There's an idler specific thread that gets a fair amount of traffic. I never got super deep into realm grinder but I get the impression that the clicking dies off after you develop your first few tech trees.

I enjoyed universal paperclip a lot, but it plays in a browser.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LLSix posted:

Pathfinder Adventures is mindbogglingly bad. They somehow managed to keep all the bad boring parts of MMOs without any of the fun bits.

Mysterium otoh is a great party game, not sure how it plays on the phone.

Pathfinder Adventures seems like it could be fun, maybe the physical one is better but it feels like 90% of encounters fail so you have to grind better decks before you can actually do anything.

I only played by myself on the phone since I can't talk friends into getting the drat bundle but I enjoyed Mysterium. I got to play the physical copy over the weekend. It was a little upsetting seeing guys I've known for three weeks be better at reading my mind than my fiancee, who I've known for four years

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Len posted:

Pathfinder Adventures seems like it could be fun, maybe the physical one is better but it feels like 90% of encounters fail so you have to grind better decks before you can actually do anything.
The physical one is not better. It's a very pay-to-win & pay-to-play game, with, as you noticed, most of the basic cards being rubbish compared to other options. The expectation is that you spend a lot of time grinding out better cards at conventions as well as shelling out for better decks. The electronic version very accurately depicts the almost complete lack of interaction with the other players in your "party."

Len posted:

I only played by myself on the phone since I can't talk friends into getting the drat bundle but I enjoyed Mysterium. I got to play the physical copy over the weekend. It was a little upsetting seeing guys I've known for three weeks be better at reading my mind than my fiancee, who I've known for four years
Luck of the draw - you probably just didn't get any good clues for her. I'm happy with one good clue a round and feel like I've done a great job if I can get everyone to the next stage in 3 hints.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

how does Pathfinder Adventures compare to the other games in the series. it is basically known for being old-school get-bent D&D. how does the card game compare to these :allears:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I got super deep into Pathfinder. Its got a slow start but actually has a lot going on.

However, some classes seem to just suck and jfc its a slow start.

The basic mechanics are each character has a deck of 15 cards, these are also their hp. Run out of cards, you die.

When you play a card, a bunch of different things can happen to it. So, say you encounter a DC10 bandit. You need to meet or beat that with a Combat check, or else you take damage (put cards from your hand into your discard pile).

Most weapons you will Reveal. Long sword adds 1d8 to your combat roll. You keep it. You can also Discard it for another 1d8. Unless you have weapon proficiency, then you can roll to Recharge it and shuffle it back into your deck.

Spells you play, will add 2d6 to your roll, then get discarded unless you have Arcane or Divine skill, then you can roll to recharge it instead.

Magic items you will play in addition to a weapon or spell and then you bury them. They're still part of your deck, but Cure from the cleric only heals from the Discard pile. Buried is pretty much a one and done.

Potions you use in addition to anything else and then Banish them. They're gone. Poof.

Class proficiency change these somewhat. Sorcerer doesn't roll to recharge spells, she just does it. Ranger can discard stuff to add to someone else's combat check.

There's a bunch of other stuff but when you start you have poo poo weapons, crap spells and are regularly running out of cards. Some of the first few missions also put heavy emphasis on skills only a few classes have. It's playing solitaire missing one of the aces.

You get stuff just for playing. Rare items will pop up and if you pass the skill check to obtain them, they're part of that person's deck forever.

I'm on the 5th mission grouping and my Sorcerer has two 3d6 damage spells that always recharge as well as an int buff and a wis buff she can cast on anyone. My cleric heals 1d4+3 cards. Everyone has 18 card decks, I've got a couple of spare holy candles that I can Banish to add more mission time if it's a tough one. My fighter has weapons with bonuses vs undead/giants.

It's super slow to start out but there's something there if you just get past the goddamn poison traps level at the start and build some decks worth a drat.

Oh, and 6 player parties seem to be a trick.

So, I guess in the spirit of low level party wipes, class imbalances, too many players ruining the game and magic sword power creep, it's a great D&D game.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Morter posted:

Tap Titans 2, despite the name, pretty quickly gets to a point where you're theorizing skill builds and equipment combinations, competing in tournaments, events, etc. with very little clicking. It's more like an MMO in terms of structure, and it's probably the most fun I've had with a clicker-esque game. It's not quite the same as it's definitely more active than RG, but it's worth a shot. Plenty of clans and Discords with advice on how to optimize the early game. Gets a ton of updates, additions, events, etc. regularly, as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Relentless posted:

I got super deep into Pathfinder. Its got a slow start but actually has a lot going on.

However, some classes seem to just suck and jfc its a slow start.

The basic mechanics are each character has a deck of 15 cards, these are also their hp. Run out of cards, you die.

When you play a card, a bunch of different things can happen to it. So, say you encounter a DC10 bandit. You need to meet or beat that with a Combat check, or else you take damage (put cards from your hand into your discard pile).

Most weapons you will Reveal. Long sword adds 1d8 to your combat roll. You keep it. You can also Discard it for another 1d8. Unless you have weapon proficiency, then you can roll to Recharge it and shuffle it back into your deck.

Spells you play, will add 2d6 to your roll, then get discarded unless you have Arcane or Divine skill, then you can roll to recharge it instead.

Magic items you will play in addition to a weapon or spell and then you bury them. They're still part of your deck, but Cure from the cleric only heals from the Discard pile. Buried is pretty much a one and done.

Potions you use in addition to anything else and then Banish them. They're gone. Poof.

Class proficiency change these somewhat. Sorcerer doesn't roll to recharge spells, she just does it. Ranger can discard stuff to add to someone else's combat check.

There's a bunch of other stuff but when you start you have poo poo weapons, crap spells and are regularly running out of cards. Some of the first few missions also put heavy emphasis on skills only a few classes have. It's playing solitaire missing one of the aces.

You get stuff just for playing. Rare items will pop up and if you pass the skill check to obtain them, they're part of that person's deck forever.

I'm on the 5th mission grouping and my Sorcerer has two 3d6 damage spells that always recharge as well as an int buff and a wis buff she can cast on anyone. My cleric heals 1d4+3 cards. Everyone has 18 card decks, I've got a couple of spare holy candles that I can Banish to add more mission time if it's a tough one. My fighter has weapons with bonuses vs undead/giants.

It's super slow to start out but there's something there if you just get past the goddamn poison traps level at the start and build some decks worth a drat.

Oh, and 6 player parties seem to be a trick.

So, I guess in the spirit of low level party wipes, class imbalances, too many players ruining the game and magic sword power creep, it's a great D&D game.

For me there's just too little in the base game to warrant a purchase. You do the tutorial which gets you 520 gold, you go on to create your party but you only have 2 available characters and you have to buy the rest, when it's recommending you need 3 to 4 characters. But wait you got 500 gold maybe.....no that's worthless. So you think ok I'll try with just the 2 characters, seems to be 2 things to play, whelp only 1 actually, so you go into the only one you can play and try to select an adventure, there's 8 on the map, bad luck you can only play 1 of them, the other 7 you have to buy.

The monetisation model is aggressively bad.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The Humble Bundle unlocks all of the main game scenarios and characters for 6 bucks.

No way anyone should pay the real prices they have.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Relentless posted:

The Humble Bundle unlocks all of the main game scenarios and characters for 6 bucks.

No way anyone should pay the real prices they have.

It's not on Humble Bundle now. So it goes back to the game being essentially unplayable with the free content, it gives very little motivation to shell out £20 to play it properly.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I haven't played it on android but I played the PC version of mysterium and it's fun to get on discord and yell at your friends for trying to represent the fountain with a fish where there's already a fish in the other picture, you idiot.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

It's not on Humble Bundle now. So it goes back to the game being essentially unplayable with the free content, it gives very little motivation to shell out £20 to play it properly.

Well... it was a day or two ago. It was brought up in regards to the Humble Bundle, on this page. That's what started the whole discussion. My bad on the timing.

If anybody IS super interested, there's a whole bunch of cheap keys floating out there for people who bought the bundle for the other stuff.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
SRPG called Man Or Vampire just released, despite being an srpg it plays pretty fast. Low rarity units can still help out decently and the art style is pretty decent. The deeper systems seem confusing and require a lot of grinding because duh it's a gatcha.

Vhak lord of hate fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 12, 2018

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Vhak lord of hate posted:

SRPG called Man Or Vampire just released, despite being an srpg it plays pretty fast. Low rarity units can still help out decently and the art style is pretty decent. The deeper systems seem confusing and require a lot of grinding because duh it's a gatcha.

I've been pretty excited for this if only because it's a gacha without anime

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I really wish there were more games on Android that weren't gacha so there could be a gacha thread and I wouldn't have to dig through pages of talk about garbage money sinks in hopes of finding a single good game to play.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I really wish there were more games on Android that weren't gacha so there could be a gacha thread and I wouldn't have to dig through pages of talk about garbage money sinks in hopes of finding a single good game to play.

Goddamned amen.

Question: I just bought Dungeon Maker, but haven't played it that much. Is Guild of Dungeoneering a must-buy?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sometimes you need to gacha to remind yourself you're just a better dressed lizard. There should be a separate thread though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Gachas are good though.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Verranicus posted:

Gachas are good though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i would be excited about a gacha if it had decent real gameplay, ran well on most all phones, i could play it in public, the UI of the game was good, and the IAP was semi reasonable

this just doesn't seem to happen though. i would gladly pick up again some of the gachas I've played over the years, but the reason i quit all of them was because they just didn't meet basic standards in one or more of these categories

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Galaxy of Heroes almost meets it but the IAP was a chore.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

After a couple days (and a lot of progress) with Almost a Hero I'm beginning to realize the "endgame" here is doing runs at 100x speed over and over again to grind out progress and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Problem is after unlocking and buffing the speed up item, playing the game is no longer really a passive experience. When it's going full speed you're constantly upgrading and allocating skills and everything's happening so fast that I feel like I need to devote my full attention to it for the duration of the item. It's only like ~2.5 minutes of time, but it's a really hectic 2.5 minutes.

I'm not complaining that you have to grind out progress in a clicker game, it's more that the way you level people up in the game doesn't seem really well suited for how quickly it moves when speeding it up like this. Having to click and hold on the button to put enough points in so they level up, and then having to click on that person again to allocate the skill point just gets tedious when you have to do it over and over again. I think there might be an item that you can get that does this stuff automatically though? I'm not positive but that would probably help if all I have to do is allocate skill points.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

explosivo posted:

After a couple days (and a lot of progress) with Almost a Hero I'm beginning to realize the "endgame" here is doing runs at 100x speed over and over again to grind out progress and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Problem is after unlocking and buffing the speed up item, playing the game is no longer really a passive experience. When it's going full speed you're constantly upgrading and allocating skills and everything's happening so fast that I feel like I need to devote my full attention to it for the duration of the item. It's only like ~2.5 minutes of time, but it's a really hectic 2.5 minutes.

I'm not complaining that you have to grind out progress in a clicker game, it's more that the way you level people up in the game doesn't seem really well suited for how quickly it moves when speeding it up like this. Having to click and hold on the button to put enough points in so they level up, and then having to click on that person again to allocate the skill point just gets tedious when you have to do it over and over again. I think there might be an item that you can get that does this stuff automatically though? I'm not positive but that would probably help if all I have to do is allocate skill points.

There is, when you start unlocking Mythical Runes you can roll the Lazy Finger rune that auto levels your party, leveling the rune increases how long it stays active. Makes things much easier.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there a good rule of thumb for when to prestige in a run of Almost a Hero?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

There is, when you start unlocking Mythical Runes you can roll the Lazy Finger rune that auto levels your party, leveling the rune increases how long it stays active. Makes things much easier.

Oh thank god.

Montalvo posted:

Depends, if you're on a roll and want to try to push, keep going until your dudes can't stay alive. Push for rewards if you see one come up you really want, and prestige once you're totally out of gas. Or you can get to about 90% of your max level when things start slowing down and prestige to restart quicker and rinse/repeat to grind mythstones. I looked up some guides for parties revolving around Lenny which helped give me some direction. Not sure where you're at in the game but once you get a 100k mythstone run and can upgrade almost all of your runes things get exponentially faster at that point. Right now if I'm actively playing and using the speed up items I'm doing quick ~30 minute runs that get me to around level 400 and net me a couple million mythstones.

Edit: This is the cheatsheet I've been using for builds right now. I have no idea if this is up to date or accurate at all anymore but it's been good for me so far :shrug:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 13, 2018

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Once you are doing those runs with the speed + autotapper, you prestige after it runs out for the most part. If you're not there yet, if you can't make the next milestone, prestige when your no longer blazing through stages.

Make sure to only spend gems on artifact slots btw. Max those out and keep making artifacts.

Once you get bring mythic artifacts push for those sure to the sometimes insane benefit they can have

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the information. I'm still really early in the game (I think this is going to be my 4th prestige or so) and I've only just made it to the upper 70s in terms of levels. I'm using gems to unlock artifact slots as per the advice in the thread, but other than that I'm not really thinking too much about hero builds since I haven't even unlocked all of them / get to their max levels.

edit: also should I be focusing on crafting new artifacts or rerolling my existing ones?

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 13, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Montalvo posted:

Thanks for the information. I'm still really early in the game (I think this is going to be my 4th prestige or so) and I've only just made it to the upper 70s in terms of levels. I'm using gems to unlock artifact slots as per the advice in the thread, but other than that I'm not really thinking too much about hero builds since I haven't even unlocked all of them / get to their max levels.

Yeah you're good for a while just using who you have. As long as you're unlocking the artifact slots and crafting new artifacts you're doing good. The ball really gets going once you get your first 100k prestige and can repeatedly re-roll mythstones to get them to 15k. A thing to know that I didn't for the longest time, you don't *have* to use what the reroll gives you. If it rerolls into something worse you can tap the original one to keep it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i would be excited about a gacha if it had decent real gameplay, ran well on most all phones, i could play it in public, the UI of the game was good, and the IAP was semi reasonable

this just doesn't seem to happen though. i would gladly pick up again some of the gachas I've played over the years, but the reason i quit all of them was because they just didn't meet basic standards in one or more of these categories

Have you tried/how did you like Summoner's War?
I enjoyed it a lot, but the time investment was too high for me to maintain, I just don't have much time for gaming these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there anyone better than me at AAH who can tell me what it means when I see people talking about solo builds like Solo Vexx? Is there some benefit to putting only one person on a team for as long as possible that I don't know about or something?