Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Watched The Conjuring on Netflix.

The main demonologist kept reminding me of Bob Odenkirk as his Mr. Show character.

It kept my attention, and it wasn't terrible. I'm interested in seeing all the others, but I don't think any are streaming yet so it'll be a long wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Black Panther also spent the first half of the movie getting set up like a villain. Secluded fortress, private army, immense wealth, science lab. While his opponents were the plucky arms dealer who was surviving based on determination and a gun that paled in comparison to what Black Panther had, and Killmonger who was an orphan with nothing but the single-minded determination that led to him spending his whole life training.

It's like Black Panther was modeled on Dr. Doom while Killmonger was Batman.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
patrick wilson owns

edit: speaking of sympathetic villains, how about the aforementioned in hard candy?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I spent all weekend watching the new season of The Great British Bake-Off and the first Netflix-produced season of Terrace House.

No Regerts.

Are there any more detached-but-sincere low-key slice-of-life "reality shows for people who hate reality shows" on the big streamers?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Observe and Report is really underrated.

Of the two dozen or so fake Taxi Driver movies since 2000's, it's easily the best one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Of the two dozen or so fake Taxi Driver movies since 2000's, it's easily the best one.

Agreed. I love Observe & Report. One of my fave theater experiences.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
My father-in-law recommended Future Man which I felt indifferent about upon seeing the preview for it. I have to admit...it's not perfect, but it's surprisingly funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Parachute posted:

patrick wilson owns

edit: speaking of sympathetic villains, how about the aforementioned in hard candy?

Hard Candy is a hard movie to like because at the very end they decided to make it completely unambiguous that he had killed the other girl. If they had the balls to commit to finishing the movie as "A psychotic girl kills a man who may or may not be a creep" it would have been really fantastic. I generally advise people to stop watching after the first "torture" scene because that denouement just torpedoes the whole drat point of the film

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I spent all weekend watching the new season of The Great British Bake-Off and the first Netflix-produced season of Terrace House.

No Regerts.

Are there any more detached-but-sincere low-key slice-of-life "reality shows for people who hate reality shows" on the big streamers?

Making It with Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman is a super low-key crafting reality show, it's pretty cute and on Hulu.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's probably the best movie to compare it to, it's good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

InterrupterJones posted:

My father-in-law recommended Future Man which I felt indifferent about upon seeing the preview for it. I have to admit...it's not perfect, but it's surprisingly funny.

Not perfect? I am going to send Corey Wolf Hart after you.

Seriously you just reminded me that season 2 should be around the corner, but it looks like it will not be out until early 2019 (they were still casting people as of last month).

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Enos Cabell posted:

Making It with Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman is a super low-key crafting reality show, it's pretty cute and on Hulu.

I've only watched the first episode, so this isn't a final verdict, but that episode didn't quite scratch the itch of GBBO / Terrace House for me. It felt a little forced and there's just something about the cinematography or color scheme that feels off for me in comparison to the other 2. Maybe just because there's more color in the set?

These are minor complaints and I'll definitely watch at least a couple more episodes, but I don't think it'll be quite as good of a chill out show for me.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 11, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nate fisher posted:

Not perfect? I am going to send Corey Wolf Hart after you.

Seriously you just reminded me that season 2 should be around the corner, but it looks like it will not be out until early 2019 (they were still casting people as of last month).

Future Man is a show that starts off shaky and ends up really good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

To me it was just a really long movie that had a slow start because I watched that show in one sitting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah, it’s at least really good by the third episode and I put off actually watching it for months after the first episode didn’t work for me.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I made it through Iron Fist season 2, it's a significant improvement over the first. Danny Rand is not such a whiny moron this time around, and they gave Coleen some good material and she got to spend a lot of time kicking rear end with the lady cop. Ward is still the best part of the show by far. Also there isn't a single showing of The Hand, which is great. Unfortunately, the show still has the same pitfalls as usual for a Netflix Marvel production: the plotting is weak, the main villain is boring and not compelling, characters don't act consistently or in their own best interest. Overall it's mediocre as far as a Netflix Marvel show, which is much better than the first season which is a franchise low.

The ending shows what the second season is about and it's so much cooler than anything in season 2 that I was just yelling at the screen "why the gently caress wasn't that this the back half of the season, you assholes?" Basically Danny Rand and Ward are globe-hopping in search of artifacts and ancient corpses Indiana Jones style, Danny's using his powers to shoot poo poo up in some far-east dive bar with a pair of glowing-fist 1911s, and Ward has really chilled out but he's still snarky and the two just seem to be having the time of their lives.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So I should start the show with the season 2 finale? Got it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

feedmyleg posted:

So I should start the show with the season 2 finale? Got it.

more like start with the last 5 minutes of the finale

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oof nm.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i know im months late and full disclosure, i love paul rudd and cyberpunk settings, but i enjoyed mute. it wasnt amazing or anything but it got absolutely savaged by critics. articles like this are insane:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/02/25/netflixs-mute-isnt-just-bad-its-almost-unwatchable/#3bd63ee54fd0

the only thing that i wholeheartedly agree with was the pedo poo poo. it was handled badly and shoehorned in so the director could come to terms with who his father was i guess.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i know im months late and full disclosure, i love paul rudd and cyberpunk settings, but i enjoyed mute. it wasnt amazing or anything but it got absolutely savaged by critics. articles like this are insane:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/02/25/netflixs-mute-isnt-just-bad-its-almost-unwatchable/#3bd63ee54fd0

the only thing that i wholeheartedly agree with was the pedo poo poo. it was handled badly and shoehorned in so the director could come to terms with who his father was i guess.

It was a tense movie, I'll give it that. I actually like movies that stumble around not knowing what to do, because I get to enjoy random scenes and not know what to expect. Bad but entertaining horror movies do this a lot. If anything, Mute got me to watch Moon for the first time, which is a movie I confused with something else in my head for so long that I assumed I had already watched.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Yeah honestly it was 90% of a really, really good movie and 10% weird pedo apologia that means I can never actually rec it to anybody

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If I remember correctly, the pedo stuff didn't factor into the plot at all. You could've removed it and changed nothing else in the movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mute was just all around insanely weird and messy. I liked a bunch of individual elements of it but it didn't come together well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lycus posted:

If I remember correctly, the pedo stuff didn't factor into the plot at all. You could've removed it and changed nothing else in the movie.

yeah it was completely out of left field and i can't figure any reason for it other than Jones trying to work some poo poo out about his dad.

e: i mean to be fair i can really only get so mad at him for that, like that's gotta be genuinely insanely hard for him to deal with. i can't really imagine idolizing a parent for all my life and then finding out, either on their deathbed or after their death entirely, that they were an absolute monster.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 14, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's hosed up that David Bowie had sex with teenage groupies but it seems weird to single him out for it when everyone was doing that poo poo back then. People wrote songs about groupies.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's hosed up that David Bowie had sex with teenage groupies but it seems weird to single him out for it when everyone was doing that poo poo back then. People wrote songs about groupies.

He's being scrutinized because of his recent death. They'll all get their moment in the sun when they make the news again with their deaths as well

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah honestly it was 90% of a really, really good movie and 10% weird pedo apologia that means I can never actually rec it to anybody

Maybe I'm just not remembering it well enough, but I didn't see it as pedo apologia at all. Spoilers just in case Thoreaux' character was a total creep and him taking the girl added to the tension of whether or not Skaarsgard's character would be able to save her, even if he didn't know what exactly was at stake. I thought it was a particularly cruel death for Paul Rudd knowing that Thoreaux was going to take his kid too. (not cruel in a bad movie way, but cruel for the character).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TOOT BOOT posted:

pretend this post is a link to Winger's "Seventeen" :yikes:

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I hope everyone watches the new standup by Daniel Sloss called Jigsaw on Netflix, and then break up with your significant other (and then tweet at him, he is keeping count. 3500+ relationships ended).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yo everyone watch American Vandal season 2. 2 episodes in and it's even better than the first season

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

They made a whole movie Labyrinth whose plot was specifically, "don't gently caress David Bowie!"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Yo everyone watch American Vandal season 2. 2 episodes in and it's even better than the first season

Awww yeah, time for more dicks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This season :itwaspoo:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm sure you've all watched both seasons of The Good Place on Netflix but if you haven't you're doing yourself a literal disservice unless you're a philosophy major. And even then you're missing out on good jokes and complex characters and Ted Danson in a bow tie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Episode 1 of the new Norm MacDonald show was good but episode 2 is stupendously bad. If the guest is too dumb or good-natured for him to gently caress with them everything falls apart

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Episode 1 of the new Norm MacDonald show was good but episode 2 is stupendously bad. If the guest is too dumb or good-natured for him to gently caress with them everything falls apart

Yeah David Spade was hilarious but Barrymore sucked. Judge Judy was interesting at least. I've only seen the first three episodes but the rest of the guest lineup looks decent.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm sure you've all watched both seasons of The Good Place on Netflix but if you haven't you're doing yourself a literal disservice unless you're a philosophy major. And even then you're missing out on good jokes and complex characters and Ted Danson in a bow tie.

If the show's not your thing and you're going to punt anyway, skip ahead to the Trolley episode in season 2. Ted Danson's at his best and the episode has teeth. Otherwise don't skip ahead cause spoilers.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you have not watched The Good Place you are depriving yourself of the best comedy on television. It's a show that's kept me laughing through every episode and I'm pumped for season 3 whenever that comes out. I found myself pausing a lot just to read the the throwaway jokes it throws on the screen whenever they go into that virtual reality type thing or whatever it is.

Ted Danson is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Filmstruck has collections of films by Eric Rohmer and Ernst Lubitsch, star of the week is James Mason, and there's a bunch of films shot by Gregg Toland including Citizen Kane.