Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I know some folks were posting about Tropical gently caress Storm earlier in the thread, and they just announced they're supporting Modest Mouse on the east coast of their October US tour. That's a killer lineup and you'll probably be able to score some decent vinyl without lovely Autralian postage costs!

edit: my first ever snype so the pressure's on; King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard also announced they're repressing the first five albums on vinyl sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

I, Butthole posted:

edit: my first ever snype so the pressure's on; King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard also announced they're repressing the first five albums on vinyl sometime soon.

As a bit more info, looks like they're reprinting 5000 albums each of Willoughby's Beach, 12 Bar Bruise, Eyes Like The Sky, Float Along - Fill Your Lungs & Oddments. Preorder 14th of September. That's through Flightless though, so might be pricey for non-aussies. Not sure if another crew are reprinting it for you overseas lot.

Going to go see Tropical gently caress storm "live score 'No Country for Old Men' in full" in a couple of months. Should be good. Last time I went to see them the pub lost all power in a big storm, so hopefully this one goes a bit smoother

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I, Butthole posted:

I know some folks were posting about Tropical gently caress Storm earlier in the thread, and they just announced they're supporting Modest Mouse on the east coast of their October US tour. That's a killer lineup and you'll probably be able to score some decent vinyl without lovely Autralian postage costs!

Tropical gently caress Storm live, gently caress yeah. 2018 Modest Mouse live, gently caress no.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

As a bit more info, looks like they're reprinting 5000 albums each of Willoughby's Beach, 12 Bar Bruise, Eyes Like The Sky, Float Along - Fill Your Lungs & Oddments. Preorder 14th of September. That's through Flightless though, so might be pricey for non-aussies. Not sure if another crew are reprinting it for you overseas lot.
Important to note that the limited runs will be accompanied by standard black editions too, which is a relief for those of use who don’t have a couple hundred dollars just sitting around right now.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

pwn posted:

Important to note that the limited runs will be accompanied by standard black editions too, which is a relief for those of use who don’t have a couple hundred dollars just sitting around right now.

Oh good

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

my KMFDM - Nihil album came in and it's warped so badly it's unplayable..i'm sad.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Photex posted:

my KMFDM - Nihil album came in and it's warped so badly it's unplayable..i'm sad.
Get a replacement my friend. Don’t be sad, be proactive :thumbsup:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Blast Fantasto posted:

I love that Men at Work album, don't care who knows if. Colin Hay should have been the next Sting.

:yeah:

Also I just bought the new Clutch double picture disc which looks and sounds rad as hell. And the clear vinyl version of Porcupine Tree's Lightbulb Sun. I don't post in this thread but I do read it and it is a bad influence on my spending.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

pwn posted:

Get a replacement my friend. Don’t be sad, be proactive :thumbsup:

yeah I messaged the band and Fulfillment Merch hopefully this won't be too much of a struggle. KMFDM's social media presence and merch is pretty much what pays their bills

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I bought an LP for the first time in three years. Came all the way from the UK.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Always be stoppin by small rural thrift stores

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not sure how many of you are in nyc, but anyone got a good repair place? preferably in brooklyn

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

It doesn’t help that my 78 rpm player is one of those old school record players with a built in speaker that amplifies any surface noise on the disc.

I will say that I am surprised how well this record looks physically. Most shellac records you find in thrift stores are covered in filth, scratched to hell, and possibly broken in several pieces. But aside from a small scratch, this Ink Spots record has held up pretty well the past 78 years.

But your grandma is right, it still sounds like rear end. :v:

Edit: lol somebody paid over a hundred bucks for this thing on discogs.

If you're curious, it's a beaut and looks like this:

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/1038972713442914306

Looks can be deceiving though, because surprise! It sounds like this:

https://twitter.com/NewsFedora/status/1038973699653812224

I still like it lots and lots. :kiddo:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If you plan on cleaning that shellac do a lot of research first. I know that alcohol will destroy it, for instance.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Packages for the dollar sale should all be going out today so I you guys should get your records soon. I tried to do a quality check on all of the records before packaging, but if you do notice an issue, don't hesitate to let me know about it and I'll take care of you. Started adding some inventory to my Discogs page this weekend so that should be ready to share soon.

Also acquired about 50-60 12" Disco Singles, lots of promo copies, so I am going through those to pull out anything valuable and was then going to make groups of 4-5 to sell together on E-bay. I am actually really enjoying the process of buying and selling records. I know a bunch of people here said it was really hard to get into, so I feel pretty lucky that I have made a friend that already has an established online store. We are partnering together because he just has too much inventory to process on his own and will unload a bunch of records on me to sell, and then we split the money. Its helping to drive traffic to my pages and has given me a really great resource for inventory.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

the only video game soundtrack people should own, Katamari Damacy, is going to be back in stock on Wednesday at Mondo

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/music-weekly-katamari-damacy-repress-distro-titles

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

the only video game soundtrack people should own, Katamari Damacy, is going to be back in stock on Wednesday at Mondo

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/music-weekly-katamari-damacy-repress-distro-titles

I'm gonna try to get one of these on Wednesday. The first press is fuckin $85 on discogs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So Warner has this thing they do called Run Out Groove where every few months they put up three different titles for a reissue or special edition, you vote for one and the most popular is produced and then sold. Often they are things that have been out of print for a long time or otherwise never issued. This time around one of the choices is a Devo singles collection. Several of the songs are rare early non-album tracks. I know there are a bunch of other fans on here, so I figured I'd get it out there. Info here:

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/product/41456?eml=2018September10/4417862/6416261&etsubid=26090507

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

So Warner has this thing they do called Run Out Groove where every few months they put up three different titles for a reissue or special edition, you vote for one and the most popular is produced and then sold. Often they are things that have been out of print for a long time or otherwise never issued. This time around one of the choices is a Devo singles collection. Several of the songs are rare early non-album tracks. I know there are a bunch of other fans on here, so I figured I'd get it out there. Info here:

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/product/41456?eml=2018September10/4417862/6416261&etsubid=26090507

gently caress, thanks for the heads up. Penetration in the Centerfold alone makes this worth it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Thanks, voted for Devo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That would be a cool release, thanks. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

That would be a cool release, thanks. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

I've only once seen a Run Out Groove release in a store and it was slightly overpriced it was like 30 bucks or something, but I think generally they're not much more than your typical new release or reissue. That particular one was a disc of alternate takes from the Stooges Fun House sessions. Basically a Cliff Notes version of that big ridiculous CD set Rhino put out some years back.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Going to try for a Katamari repress..wonder how fast they will sell out

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I've only once seen a Run Out Groove release in a store and it was slightly overpriced it was like 30 bucks or something, but I think generally they're not much more than your typical new release or reissue. That particular one was a disc of alternate takes from the Stooges Fun House sessions. Basically a Cliff Notes version of that big ridiculous CD set Rhino put out some years back.

Looks like that one was a double LP so maybe a single set would be closer to $20. Although their current release is 2xLP and it's $37 so who knows. That's nice that they make it into stores though.

edit: shipping is free, so that helps.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, they only do one pressing and they sometimes do unique releases.

So, it might be more expensive because they can't spread out the fixed costs.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

got an email from KMFDM's PR people, they're going to replace my order.

To ease the pain I went to Newbury Comics which was having 25% off and picked up Com Truise - Iteration

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Came home to find this at the front door. It looks amazing and the sound is great, really glad I decided to grab the UO exclusive pressing when I heard that this was finally getting a vinyl pressing.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
This may be a noob question, but is there anywhere to figure out what the best pressing of an album might be? With all the drat re-issues of older albums these days, I don't know which ones may be good pressings or worse pressings. Does discogs give reviews like that? Are re-issues generally bad pressings and made for money grabs? Try and find an original used in good condition somewhere?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This may be a noob question, but is there anywhere to figure out what the best pressing of an album might be? With all the drat re-issues of older albums these days, I don't know which ones may be good pressings or worse pressings. Does discogs give reviews like that? Are re-issues generally bad pressings and made for money grabs? Try and find an original used in good condition somewhere?

I don’t know of a place that would have this information easily available. It really varies for each album and repress. One thing to look for on represses is if they are also remastered. In general, you can expect a quality bump when they remaster something.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You can pull up the release on discogs and sometimes people leave comments.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I usually check Steve Hoffman forums. They might not always come to a consensus on BEST but they’ll give you like 2-3 options (and then argue about them for like 5 pages).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Look for a white hot stamper!

Serious answer time:

This isn't a noob question, this is actually a question a lot of people ask. It's challenging.

So, in general, here's some things to note.

Reissues can vary greatly. A big factor is if they do a unique vinyl master, or if they just take the CD and master that so it can actually play on a turntable. I don't really care about analog versus digital, but with an all analog pressing, you know what you're getting.

Especially with high profile remasters, they may be working with the high quality digital files they made when they did the tape transfers. So those are usually pretty good. Queen is an example of that. They did a digital transfer of the tapes, restored them, and used those files for the vinyl version.

But if you're getting something from 4 Men With Beards, that may not be a great bet.

The big thing with reissues aren't the sound - but the pressing quality. They might use recycle vinyl, you'll have more issues with non fill, and that will lead to nosier vinyl.

If you're looking for originals, that gets tougher. First - go with the country of origin. If it's a British band, the US versions will likely be from a higher generation copy, so it won't sound as good. And sometimes, they futz with the sound or the tracklist. Record club pressings aren't usually that good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

There's no reliable way to determine this other than just asking around or the reputation of the reissue label. There's no ironclad rule about reissues. Some of them are faithfully reproduced from the original tapes and some of them are poo poo sourced from a CD and then there's every thing in between. What I can tell you is one reissue label to absolutely avoid is Three Men With Beards. You can find them all over the place (although I see them less than I used to) and their list of titles is certainly impressive, the problem is that the records themselves are absolute crap and all of them are made from CDs or low quality digital masters. The reissue labels I've always had good experiences with who are generally known to use original tapes or just generally do good work are Sundazed, Light in the Attic, and Superior Viaduct. I mention them a lot here. I'm sure someone else can throw a few more names out there. Keep in mind that record collectors can also be a bunch of nutcases so a lot of reissues are surrounded by people screaming about this thing or that regardless of quality, so after a point there's a bit of subjectivity.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Does that apply to say all genres, or are their specific label to look for or avoid based on what you're browsing? For example, if I'm looking for quality jazz reissues of early Mingus or Davis is it pretty much all going to be great? Yeah, I know those have been reissued to hell and back but it was the easiest option.

On that note, is there no real way of knowing if an album dropping in 2018 was mastered for the vinyl release or if it's just a straight conversion of the digital files?

I know extremely little about audio recording, so I apologize if those questions are amateur hour.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Does that apply to say all genres, or are their specific label to look for or avoid based on what you're browsing? For example, if I'm looking for quality jazz reissues of early Mingus or Davis is it pretty much all going to be great? Yeah, I know those have been reissued to hell and back but it was the easiest option.

On that note, is there no real way of knowing if an album dropping in 2018 was mastered for the vinyl release or if it's just a straight conversion of the digital files?

I know extremely little about audio recording, so I apologize if those questions are amateur hour.

If you’re listening through your TVs sound bar or some computer speakers, the answer is “it doesn’t matter”. It probably doesn’t matter anyways.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hatelull posted:

A lot of the big name jazz artists like those you mentioned have as bunch of fancy pants reissue. But with this and your second question the only real answer is to just look it up and see what people say about the album or the label. New poo poo is tricky. Analog recordings are uncommon these days but a digital recording can sound good if it was mastered properly for the vinyl LP. Sometimes they put in the work, sometimes they don't although digital downloads an CDs are mastered at volumes and compressed in ways that can't done on an LP due to physical limitations of the format.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

hatelull posted:

When a new album gets mastered for release, the mastering engineer will create digital files specifically for the vinyl press. These usually aren't that different from the digital masters, maybe some slight EQ changes and probably less limiting/compression, since brickwalled digital audio does not translate well to a lathe/stylus trying to cut/track a continuous groove.

On top of that, the person who is actually cutting the lacquer from which the stampers will be created (who is sometimes the same person who mastered the audio, sometimes not) will be monitoring the audio signal going into their lathe and making minor adjustments so that the ideal groove depth and spacing is achieved.

So yeah, it takes some human intermediation and is not just plopping a digital file onto a stamper.

efb, what he said

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I started organizing my record shelves and right away I hit a snag; is it

The 13th Floor Elevators
69-Hard
101 Strings

or

101 Strings
The 13th Floor Elevators
69-Hard

:negative: