Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of the ones I threw on my watch list is a MSI Armor. Jeez a lot of people complaining about the cooling on newegg, but amazon reviews are better. I dont liquid cool so I'm a bit concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

codo27 posted:

One of the ones I threw on my watch list is a MSI Armor. Jeez a lot of people complaining about the cooling on newegg, but amazon reviews are better. I dont liquid cool so I'm a bit concerned.

The MSI Armor 1080 ti indeed has terrible cooling that significantly reduces clock speeds, the PCB itself is very good but the cooler should be replaced ASAP. Here's a video where GN tests it for overheating issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQtfNFCWa8

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I'm not loving with that if I have to go spend more money right away on replacing the cooler. If I move ahead with my custom desk I think thats gonna help things a lot but still dont wanna chance it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah there's a bunch of MSI Armors out there on eBay.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What about Zotac? I dont really wanna go that way but its all Best Buy carries here and I could finance through them and buy new.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hell, I got a brand new EVGA 1080 for $365 a week ago because of sales, you don't even have to go used/refurb if you search around and have a bit of luck. I might even be able to do a step-up to a 2080 if I end up wanting to.

What site did you see that 1080 on?
I want to replace my 1070 with a 1080ti this year.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hell, I got a brand new EVGA 1080 for $365 a week ago because of sales, you don't even have to go used/refurb if you search around and have a bit of luck. I might even be able to do a step-up to a 2080 if I end up wanting to.

Wait where? My $400 EVGA eBay 1080 was specifically exempt from step-up

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme whatever it was the loudest thing in my system and did 2000MHz at 80C stock. I replaced the fans with Noctuas and it quieted right down and could barely break 60C. The Zotac was so loud I'm not planning on getting another Zotac for at least a few generations.

I'm going to get a EVGA 2080 Ti if the reviews are good.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Don't they charge you the full MSRP difference on your sale price for step-up? Is the only draw here that you temporarily have a card now?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Whitest Russian posted:

That was eBay, EVGA was selling 1080s for $400-$420 depending on the box option, combined with a one day 15% discount code from eBay. There were only a hundred or two sold, and they flew off the shelves.

There's still EVGA cards available at that price point on eBay, and they are step up eligible.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

craig588 posted:

I have a Zotac 1080 Amp Extreme whatever it was the loudest thing in my system and did 2000MHz at 80C stock. I replaced the fans with Noctuas and it quieted right down and could barely break 60C. The Zotac was so loud I'm not planning on getting another Zotac for at least a few generations.

How the gently caress 2000Mhz at 80C? Doesn't the BIOS start restricting boost below that speed at like 65c?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Seamonster posted:

How the gently caress 2000Mhz at 80C? Doesn't the BIOS start restricting boost below that speed at like 65c?

You can get it to sustain higher clocks even at hot temps if you gently caress around with voltage curves.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It has a custom bios from the factory, with the Noctua fans it does ~2150MHz also stock. It's fast but LOUD and hot. I can't hear my PC about 5 feet from me with the Noctua fans but it's no fun to have to mod a brand new card. The reason I got it in the first place was it was the first one in stock with an open cooler.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Liking things loud is a double edged knife. Love my loud music in the car, but I cant hear if the thing is loving falling apart. Same goes for the PC really. I cant hear any amount of fans over the speakers.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i use coil whine as a sixth sense in counter strike

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zotac has always had some of the faster tuned cards, but to obtain that speed they usually do run their fans at a higher rate.

Hopefully better than the old days of their stock 560Ti bios that locked the fan speed to 50% max, but when the card got hot enough the emergency cool fan speed spiked it up to a full 100% for short burst and was super annoying. Really a dumb design decision that one.

Then if you installed a bios that had the full fan curve the fans wouldn't ramp up without something like EVGA Precision installed and your own fan curve.

When you did have them running correctly though, they were darn fast at least.

One of the best things they made years ago though was a 790i Intel NForce board. Pretty much every feature you could ask for thrown into a board at that time, Overclocked really well, and hell it even had a Lifetime Warranty at that time lol.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Seems weird to build a card with lovely fans when much better ones are probably only pennies more. Thanks MBA bean counters.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

cowofwar posted:

Seems weird to build a card with lovely fans when much better ones are probably only pennies more. Thanks MBA bean counters.
Put a few pennies worth of better components in the upgraded model and sell it for $50 more. :capitalism:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Videocardz is saying that Nvidia still hasn’t provided final drivers to reviewers. I would expect some missing pages in the reviews at this rate.

Not really that abnormal, but still. Everything 2080 is news I guess!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cygni posted:

Videocardz is saying that Nvidia still hasn’t provided final drivers to reviewers. I would expect some missing pages in the reviews at this rate.

Not really that abnormal, but still. Everything 2080 is news I guess!!

It's like nvidia never released a card before

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

cowofwar posted:

Seems weird to build a card with lovely fans when much better ones are probably only pennies more. Thanks MBA bean counters deeply entrenched system of kickbacks and payoffs.

Slight adjustment

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

mewse posted:

it's almost like it was a chip meant for the hpc/workstation and automotive market being hastily repurposed for a gaming card because they accidentally made a 1.5 year cadence

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Sorry, this is a bit of a weird question. Is there a list of recent Nvidia graphic cards that run silent (fan not running) when idle? Most cards seem hardcoded to spin at least at 40%. My Gainward 1060 6GB e.g. completely stops. Now I am looking for another NV 1050 4GB (or 1060) that does that.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Sorry, this is a bit of a weird question. Is there a list of recent Nvidia graphic cards that run silent (fan not running) when idle? Most cards seem hardcoded to spin at least at 40%. My Gainward 1060 6GB e.g. completely stops. Now I am looking for another NV 1050 4GB (or 1060) that does that.

I've never seen a list, but every brand I've tried for Pascal has done this so far with open air coolers. Its pretty uncommon to have one that doesn't really. This includes ASUS Strix, Gigabyte G1's, EVGA SC2, MSI Twinfrozr style coolers and Armor coolers, in 1070s, 1080s, and 1080tis that I have had. Any blower cooler I've seen does not fully stop, I dont know about Zotac, PNY. I should add too I dont even necessarily find it to be a great benefit, I've seen several issues with fans coming to a stop. Sometimes you hear one fan attempting to spin up and it cant until there is a bigger load and you hear something like a coil whine. Some fans will squeak bearing at their lowest fan speed but are completely fine in the full range above that. On top of that a low fan speed is virtually silent to me anyways. Its a fine concept and I'm sure it will be the norm but its not a selling point for me

I didn't get into the blower discussion above as I feel like ive beaten this horse 50 times by now but I've never been convinced whatsoever that a blower cooler on the vast majority of modern cards in most cases is better in any way than a solid open air cooler. Ive put blower cards into cases with zero fans like the RVZ02 and they hit 82 and throttle, I've put them in regular cases (R5 and NZXT 440) and they hit 82 and throttle. A good open air cooler in any of these situations does not throttle and does not hit 82*. Case ambient temp might rise but its never affected my CPU temp negatively and I'm as anal as it gets with that since I tend to OC the CPU to the very edge. SLI, maybe, but Ive had both ways this last year and even in a cramped af Alienware case two open air coolers performed better than two blowers. In my opinion if you have a good open air cooler running at 100% fan and 83* you have other issues with your case and a blower would not help

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 10, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a GTX 1070 Founders and it's blower runs constantly. I can't hear any coil whine. If I crank up the fan and up the power limits it hits maybe 68-70 deg with a small overclock. I think this is pretty ok but the fan is a bit loud at that point.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

mewse posted:

This doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's almost like it was a chip meant for the hpc/workstation and automotive market being hastily repurposed for a gaming card because they accidentally made a 1.5 year cadence

nVidia has no need to release a chip at all, right now. They could easily sit on Pascal for another 6mo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Malcolm XML posted:

nVidia has no need to release a chip at all, right now. They could easily sit on Pascal for another 6mo.

They are reaching saturation of their own product on the consumer side, they need to release the next product to spur product upgrade cycles.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Risky Bisquick posted:

They are reaching saturation of their own product on the consumer side, they need to release the next product to spur product upgrade cycles.

if you build it they will come, basically?

i guess it stands to reason if they way overestimated amount of miners to be buying cards last quarter that theyd also way over produce

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Statutory Ape posted:

if you build it they will come, basically?

Pretty much. There's a fairly limited number of people who will buy a PC video card at a profitable price for NVidia. Once most of them already have one (and if Steam's survey is anywhere near accurate, over 35% of PC gamers already have a 10-series card, vs ~15% for 7- and 9-series non-M cards, suggesting there's not a whole lot of upgrade space left), no one's gonna buy a new card. So they need to drop something new for the masses to buy, or their profits stop.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

craig588 posted:

I've got a Zotac mini 1070 & I'm sure it's fine with the dual fans, but what model & size Noctuas did you get? I figure if something goes funky with the cooler I'd like to get a couple fans with decent airflow that'll stay quiet, maybe plug them direct to the motherboard headers & control them in the BIOS like I do some other fans.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are the stock fans from the D15, I replaced those with their 3000 RPM 140mm fans that I run at 700RPM. I have a Panaflo 120x38 fan on the very back, keeps a 5820K at less than 70C with AVX Prime at 4.3GHz or mid 80s at 4.7 while being silent to me at about 5 feet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Whitest Russian posted:

EVGA's ebay store, they ran out of them, but they might have some good sales later on?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait where? My $400 EVGA eBay 1080 was specifically exempt from step-up

The one I got was direct from EVGA via their ebay store and is brand new, not a refurb, so it is eligible for step-up.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

EVGA's ebay store, they ran out of them, but they might have some good sales later on?

The one I got was direct from EVGA via their ebay store and is brand new, not a refurb, so it is eligible for step-up.

Mine was too. Was it a brown box and not the retail box?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Mine was too. Was it a brown box and not the retail box?

No, retail box.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, retail box.

Well aren't you lucky. This is the one I bought:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I noticed Amazon has EVGA 2080s ready to order today after putting them on my watchlist last night.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well aren't you lucky. This is the one I bought:

You notice that it says "This product is identical to our normal 08G-P4-5184-KR"? Mine is the normal 08G-P4-5184-KR, the -KR at the end indicates that it is a new card, not a refurbished card, that is why mine is eligible for step-up. That is also part of the reason I went for this one and not one of the plain box ones, it also comes with the full 3 year warranty instead of the 1 year warranty that comes with refurbished cards.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You notice that it says "This product is identical to our normal 08G-P4-5184-KR"? Mine is the normal 08G-P4-5184-KR, the -KR at the end indicates that it is a new card, not a refurbished card, that is why mine is eligible for step-up. That is also part of the reason I went for this one and not one of the plain box ones, it also comes with the full 3 year warranty instead of the 1 year warranty that comes with refurbished cards.

Oh yeah, I know, that's why I said you were lucky :)

They weren't offering the normal card when I bought it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh yeah, I know, that's why I said you were lucky :)

They weren't offering the normal card when I bought it

Yeah, I think I got one of the last ones, I checked back like a couple hours after buying mine and the one I bought was gone from the ebay store and the normal EVGA store.